"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick a Song and Analyze! -Idhu Sathiyam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Pick a Song and Analyze! -Idhu Sathiyam Reply with quote

Dear friends ,
By now you would all have noticed that Song analysis is a domain truly out of bounds for me , being bereft of the basic nuances of understanding the shade shifts of Raagas. Then why come here may be the purists' anguish. My logic is, postings elsewhere do not augment the attention of analysts, hence this intrusion by me.
I wish our experts to consider the songs in the movie "IDHU SATHIYAM" one of the very early evidence of MM's class. The movie was a total reproduction of the novel by Raa. Ki. Rangarajan in Kumudham weekly in the 60s. Though a very popular novel the movie was a low budget effort virtually devoid of Star Value - a vital ingredient for TFs then. But the music of MMs stay green to date. The movie had a cast involving Mr.S.A Asokan [Hero] Ms. Chandrakantha [Heroine] and the most well known was Kannamba in a mother's role. But the lacklustre star cast did not in a bit deter the MDs going all out to make historic tunes. Th singers were TMS and PS, EXCEPT FOR A CHORUS.
ALL NUMBERS STAND MAJESTIC BY LYRIC AND MUSICAL FERVOUR . Now to the numbers that need attention :

SARAVANA POIGAIYIL NEERAADI - P.S
KUNGUMAPOTTU KULUNGUDHADI - P.S and Co
MANAM KANIVAANA ANDHA -TMS , PS
SATHIYAM IDHU SATHIYAM - TMS
Each item is different by every consideration -lyric, prelude interlude and the styles of orchestration. I deem, it would be a nice exercise to understand the versatility of the composer[s] that genuinely bloomed by brilliance song after song year after year. May I request our anlysts to take and give delight from these compositions of our MDs.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you mentioned, there is no big star crowd in the film. But one factor which would have motivated MD in the film might be the producer G.N.Velumani. The combination of G.N.Velumani and MSV was always a runaway hit in music.

P. Sankar -Tirunelveli.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: idhu satthiyam Reply with quote

Dear Professor Raman Sir,
Please go through the Recollections section, where a discussion is already going on on the songs of Idhu Satthiyam, particularly, manam kanivaana andha kanniyai kandaal kallum kaniyaagum.
Sincerely,
V. Raghavendran.
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear sarada mam, prof, ragasudha,

i have three films in mind of master
they are vandikaran magan, rani, and thangai
can we please discuss the songs and kindly tell me who sang the song kai kotti siripparkal in apoorva ragangal
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear bhaskar

kai kotti siripargal - is by sheik dawood -if i can recollect correctly .

vandikkaran magan , and thangai i love two songs

maedaiyil aadidum melliya poonkatraey - by spb , a great number ,and this song was well popularised by ceylon radio -those days

thangai--has two numbers - one kettavarellam padalam - a song with the history of coffee boy or postman -selecting the song

and thaneeriley thamaripoo - both sung by Tms

there are more film with beautiful songs but not popularised due to film flops like -taxi driver and orey vanam orey bhoomi ( remember malai rani munthanai sariya sariya by jolly abrham and vani , title no by tms .)

enjoy the great nos by the great
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more songs from "Thangai": (This is a film produced by Balaji.)

1. Iniyathu Iniyathu Ulagam (By TMS)
2. Sugam...Sugammm...(By P.Sushella)

P. Sankar.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof.

The entire movie has delightful songs & the Pick of the movie IMO is Saravana poigayil . Really unmatched, unparalleled beauty !

One of the very best of P.S. especially the humming that she gives at the end of every charanam is mind blowing Very Happy

Thanks for bringing back memories of the movie .
irenehastings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vk1959 wrote:
dear bhaskar

thangai--has two numbers - one kettavarellam padalam - a song with the history of coffee boy or postman -selecting the song

That tune was selcted by a Postman.

Saradha madam's article regarding that song:

http://www.msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159&start=0

quote="vk1959"] kai kotti siripargal - is by sheik dawood -if i can recollect correctly .
[/quote]

His name is A.R.Sheik Mohamed, who also sung few lines in the song
'ulagamenum naadaga medaiyil naanoru nadigan' in sirithu vaaza vendum.
irenehastings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pick a Song and Analyze! -Idhu Sathiyam Reply with quote

madhuraman wrote:
I wish our experts to consider the songs in the movie "IDHU SATHIYAM" one of the very early evidence of MM's class.
ALL NUMBERS STAND MAJESTIC BY LYRIC AND MUSICAL FERVOUR . Now to the numbers that need attention :

SARAVANA POIGAIYIL NEERAADI - P.S
KUNGUMAPOTTU KULUNGUDHADI - P.S and Co
MANAM KANIVAANA ANDHA -TMS , PS
SATHIYAM IDHU SATHIYAM - TMS
Each item is different by every consideration -lyric, prelude interlude and the styles of orchestration.

Prof.sir,

and two more songs in Idhu Sathiyam.

One is 'Kaathalile patru vaithaal anaiyada annai' by Suseela.
The other one is chorus song in tea estate (i cant able to remember the first line. I think actress Hemamalini also danced for the song).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: