"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angum ingum padhai undu - Balu's beauty- Avargal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Angum ingum padhai undu - Balu's beauty- Avargal Reply with quote

Do you want to know the apt definition for SADDIST ??

See… AVARGAL…….and observe the Rajini character named Balasubramaniam..

Its another KB creation of the 70s………

The formative phase of Shivaji Rao Gaekwad and a youthful Ulaga naayagan , Kadhal Ilavarasan ……also the intial years of Sujatha after Aval oru thodar kathai…..

Sujatha and Ravikumar are lovers ( that Ishwara Pandian character in Chitti tele serial ) but for various reasons , gets married to Rajini …..and gets a son also…soon realizes that Rajini is a full fledged Saddist …..Unable to tolerate his irritation, gets separated and moves to another city and joins a Company where Kamal is a fellow staff….. Sujatha develops friendship with Kamal and shares all her problems with him who caringly listens to her and tries his best to help her out and be a guardian….. as time goes by, Kamal starts loving Sujatha knowing her full background and wants to marry her but Sujatha is unaware of this…….

A stage comes when Sujatha comes across her erstwhile lover Ravikumar once again and Ravi persuades her that even now nothing is lost in life and lets get married and live happily ….. Sujatha feels thrilled with happiness and joy now and concludes that all her bad days are over and prepares herself to join Ravikumar …….

AND AT THIS MOMENT , RAJINI RESURFACES FROM NO WHERE and profusely apologises to Sujatha to forget all his past misdeeds and join him again ……Rajini’s dramatic change in the attitude gets Sujatha into a triangle now as she is unable to decide who will be the most ideal partner ….. is it Rajini or Ravikumar ( Kamal never comes to her mind as for her Kamal is a good friend and guardian only )

ONE OF THE STRENGTHS OF KB IS ON PRESENTING A SONG SEQUENCE WHICH WILL BE SITUATION BASED…..rarely one can see KB introducing a meaningless song……

Mellisai Mannar, Kavignar, Loganathan and KB join together to give another jem …… ANGUM INGUM PAADHAI UNDU….. INDRU NEE ENDHA PAKKAM ??

Out of Kavignar’s 1000s of songs, I wish to pick this as somewhat special ….

Lets move to the lyrics now…….

ANGUM INGUM PAADHAI UNDU , INDRU NEE ENDHA PAKKAM
NYAYIR UNDU , THINGAL UNDU , UNDHAN NAAL EDHU DHAANO……….

Most ideal start to a song wherein the heroene is totally confused on who is better and who is her ultimate life partner

Kavignar poses a question by coining words …… you have several options , which one you are going to chose ??

KB had already taken the best out of Kavignar as the start itself is so striking…..

The charanam is more interesting…..

KALLAI KANDAAL, KANIYAY KANDAAL……..KALLUM INGAY MELLA MELLA KANIYUM UNMAI KANDAAL !!!

Kavignar had thoroughly read the situation

Rajini is compared to a stone while Ravikumar is equated to a fruit ….and here Kavignar beautifully depicits the change in attitude of Rajini by framing the words…. KALLUM INGAY MELLA MELLA KANIYUM !!
Terrific improvisation of his own initial wordings ! Only Kavignar can do such things….

The second charanam is much more interesting….

KANNNA ENDRAAL , MURUGAN VANDHAAN …… MURUGAN ENDRAAL , KANNAN VANDHAAN , ENDHA DEIVAM SONDHAM ENDRU POOVAI POOJAI SEIVAAL ??

KB shows the various characters in the song ….. a camouflaged Rajini, pretending to be very sincere , a devoted lover Ravikumar watching Sujatha from neighbourhood , the predicament and dilemma of Sujatha character and the innocent kid ……all playing their role to perfection……

While admiring the lyrics, we tend to forget the ETERNAL MASTER OF MELODY, Mellisai Mannar’s silken touch to the song and also SPB who gave another superb performance….. Balu’s voice modulation will be lovely….

MSV is such a genius that he knew what is going to be his role for this song as a MD and obliged with his classic composition….. Some how he had taken over SOFTNESS in music as his forte……

One can clearly identify MSV class in this song as he didn’t waste any second for prelude as the song appears at the most sensitive stage of the movie ….. a situation when Sujatha has to decide her ultimate partner ……so MSV decides there should be no prelude and makes Balu sing straight away …

For interludes , the senior master uses just few instruments like Sitar, solo violin , rhythm guitar , tabla and subtle use of drums …..created another wonderful melody

I get emotional whenever I hear this song, as my memory goes way back to the mid 70s when this lovely movie was released…. I saw the Malayalam version also which was also quite nicely presented…..

Rajini will play the role to perfection ….. always will talk mild mannered but will pinch Sujatha consistently all through the movie…..a different type of a villain , a deviation from a normal villain

To be precise in tamil….. INDHA POONAYUM PAALAI KUDIKKUMAA ?? that type of a character …..

Poor Sujatha character will finally chose Rajini as her option which will once again prove to be a disaster …when she tries to reach him, KB , in his own inimitable manner will show Rajini coming out , newly wedded ! and she will face the biggest shock of her life……

One will get hot with seeing Rajini….. we will feel like killing him instantly for having tortured Sujatha psychologically and that’s the great success of KB’s characterization of Rajini ! KB compensates the audience finally by making a boy throw stone at Rajini in the end……

The Sujatha character doesn’t end here ….. she panicks now and will be left with the only other option to chose and she will run to join Ravikumar but alas …. Only to see him also coming out , wedded to another woman !! ( as Sujatha reveals her intentions to go back to Rajini, Ravikumar will gracefully accept her decision and move away )

Slowly she will tread back and decides to move out to another city…..

Here comes Kamal now to express his feelings….at this juncture, unable to bear any more disappointments , shocks and disasters, Sujatha will plead to Kamal ….. Please , I have been admiring you for long about your nice character….please please do not disappoint me and I want no more shocks in life….Despite all the sufferings, I have never cried in life and please don’t make me do that !!

Saying this, Sujatha sits calmly with her kid in the train…… while Kamal will be bidding adieu with a tinge of sadness in his face….

Kamal character is another beauty from KB….. altogether different compared to what he did in Apoorva ragangal… frequently using the mask boy to convey his feelings……a character totally underplaying ….actually it’s a support role only but Kamal is Kamal and he proved his class….

Wish to write more about this movie……

MSV did an IR type composition !! and its KAATRUKENNA VELI , KADALUKKENA MOODI…..
One can write an essay about this splendid composing as MSV uses mirudhangam , chorus with swaram to its awesome best……its SJ this time coming out with lovely rendition……One can identify a distinct change in the approach of MSV to this song ….I am not writing much about this song as my focus is on the song Angumingum paadhai undu….

MSV is not finished yet….. Ippadi oru thaalaatu paadavaa …. A song which will make us sleep ……

Junior , junior , junior …. Kamal with the mask boy

Infact, the mask himself was another interesting character in this movie ! because Kamal will convey all his feelings through him …..

All the songs were super hits…though the movie was not that successful commercially , it was well appreciated …..

A memorable movie for all the artists….

Saluting the senior master of tamil music for giving us once again , another melodious composition……
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Good Choice! Reply with quote

Nice posting on "Angum Ingum"... This is a kind of "Heavy" situation where the Hero-en sees three people working sincerely for her. Generally a composer would have come out something like a "Pathos" song for this situation. If that would have been the case, it would have been yet another "Just Ordinary" film song, tuned for the sake of composing... to "Fill" the situation...

But MSV on the controrary has come out with a beautiful melody, at the same time having the streak of "Sogam" or "Sorrow" in that song. That has made the difference!

Beautiful "Single-Stringed" guitar notes, which will be a simple and elegant "Interlude". And SPB's voice...no words to describe!

A great number and a good choice, Balaji!
sankaran.lic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: KB Reply with quote

DEAR BALAJI,

EXCELLENT WRITEUP.

MORE INTERESTING THAN THE MOVIE.

GREETINGS TO YOU.

SANKARANARAYANAN.
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

What i can say to praise you? Angum ingum and Katrikenna velli are all time favourite of mine. I am going to praise you to a himaalayan heights!! Your writing is as sweet as our master's music.

Can anybody give better compliment?? I doubt my dear!!!

keep it up.

Sampat
Ram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it, Sampat!
irenehastings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr s.balaji

day by day you are shining by your wonderful analysis.

you are a gift for this msv forum.

we need good analysers like you here, and not just list givers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: