"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indha mandrathil odi varum ilam ( Policekaran Magal )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Indha mandrathil odi varum ilam ( Policekaran Magal ) Reply with quote

Sridhar’s movies always had lovely picturisation….some very innovative like the song Sonnadhu needhaana sol ( Nenjil oru aalayam ) during which the camera will go right below the Swing ….reach Devika’s face & retreat back in the same manner……all in a single shot …….

Another song sequence wherein the camera will be very lively & full of enthu…. was during the song INDHA MANDRATHIL ODI VARUM – Policekaran Magal ….

Vijayakumari, after she falls in love with Balajee sings this number ……….

INDHA MANDRATHIL ODI VARUM
ILAM THENDRALAI KETKINDREN
NEE SENDRIDUM VAZHIYINILE
ENN DEIVATHAI KAANBAAYO

The sequence is very simple…….VK was in a very cheerful self …immensely happy that she got a match of her life & exchanges her thoughts with Thendral on the back of her house clandestinely

Precisely matching her mood , the magnificent duo MSV-TKR start with a very cheerful pacy fast preludes with a combination of sitar chords & violin

After a brief pause……. SJ starts in a mild manner ( may be Sridhar thought that whatever she sings, her Police Father should not hear & hence the low voice ! )

The Duo didn’t miss the speed even during interludes !! jet speed flute , followed by violin & sitar complimenting each other , give a fitting support to the charanam !!

This movie forms an inseparable part of MSV-TKR’s evergreen hits …when we talk of the evergreen hits, this will be voted as a popular choice !

Reading the lyrics, one can assess the type of following , lovers had yesteryears !! the heroene worships her lover – EN DEIVATHAI KAANBAYO !Though it appears male chauvinistic, portraying him as God, vallal, thalaivan etc were the phrases used but you can see the exact opposite version today !

VK , not sure about herself, wants to please her lover From now, every second is waste of time for her as he gets restless….wants to be with him forever…….

VANNA MALARGALIN ARUMBAAVAAL
UNN MANADHUKKU KARUMBAAVAAL
INDRU ALAI KADAL THURUMBAANAAL
ENDRU ORU MURAI KOORAAYO...

In another charanam, Kavignar dwells the plight of VK as a typical lover !

NADU IRAVINIL VIZHIKKINDRAAL
UNN URAVINAI NINAIKINDRAAL
AVAL VIDINDHA PINN THUYILGINDRAAL
ENN VEDHANAI KOORAAYO...

No need to explain further on what state of mind , VK was !

The song doesn’t end here ………..

VK & Muthu share wrapport as brother - sister but VK doesn’t reveal her love even to Muthu ( though Muthu knows Balajee ) …….Now , during the 3rd charanam, VK gets a surprise as a male voice peeps in with the following words :

INDRA MANDRATHIL ODI VARUM ILAM THENDRALAI KETKINDREN
ENN KANNUKKU KANNAAGUM IVAL SONNADHU SARITHAANAA...

Now on seeing Muthu , VK’s face turns red as Muthu starts teasing her but Vk maintains her secrecy ……..Muthu continues his teaser :

THAN KANNANAI THEDUGIRAAL
MANA KAADHALAI KOORUGIRAAL
INDHA ANNANAI MARANDHUVITAAL
ENN KADHAIYAIYUM KOORAAYO

It will be a simple , pleasant exchange between a brother & sister , while Muthu tries to get the truth , VK maintains her silence in a smart way but finally Muthu sportingly leaves her saying that some day or other he will get the truth….

All through the song, the camera work will be lively going on top, coming down swiftly, running around the garden ………

Kavignar was never short of words !! Some poetic charanams flowing endlessly !

Its another story for PON ENBEN SIRU POO ENBEN – Kavignar was not inspired initially as he had yelled with irritation to Mellisai Mannar – Endaa Visu , erkanave Athan pothan nu ezudhiyaache …innum enna venum unakku….
Sridhar had to intervene & remind Kavignar that this was a different situation…..MSV took the lead with his tune & the splendid lyrics flowed & followed immediately !!

So , how to introduce Balajee character ? Sridhar just gave a brief to Kavignar that he is a flirt ……. The next moment , words flowed like :

AANDONDRU PONAL….VAYADHONDRU POGUM…ADHARKU MUNAALE VAA VAA VAAVAA !
AZAGUDAN ILAMAAAAAIIII…. THODARNDHU VARAADHU….IRUKINDRA PODHE VAA VAA VAA !

MSV – TKR were here as well with lovely whistling as preludes !

This movie is one of the best albums of the duo as 4 more lovely numbers exist :

1. Porandhalum aambilayaa porakka koodaadhu – Any movie with Chandrababu has to have a song for him & this song with LRE was a glorious hit & still popular when one talks of JPC songs ! JPC himself acknowledged once that listening to MSV’s peppy music automatically makes him dance !
2. Nilavukku en mel ennadi kobam – Balajee cajoling his murai penn character as he had to inherit his Father’s wealth !!
3. Kanilay neer edharku kalam ellam azuvadharku – Muthu & Vk mutually sharing the agony of the disturbed love
4. Indha mandrathil odi varum – Totally opposite to the cheerful manner it was sung earlier …as the mood will be dull……

POLICE KARAN MAGAL is a good lesson for those parents who exercise too much strictness & caution onto their children………

Parents generally expect some discipline (Ozukkam ) from children…but if the Father happens to be a Police man, it goes overdrive on the children which also becomes counter productive ………..

S.V.SAHASRANAMAM, a Police constable & father of Muthuraman & Vijayakumari, imposes a high level of discipline & strictness ….& on expected lines, proving Newton’s third law , it finally gives an equal & opposite reaction from VK……. VK, on seeing Balajee , a rich guy but a flirt , opens her heart & this results in deep love….Balajee , despite his flashy past , tries to be a genuine lover but his Father clearly spells a condition that he will get his wealth only upon marrying his relative …This puts break on the love affair & VK falls sick…..Balajee realizes his mistake finally but it will be too late as VK ends her life ……….

This 1962 tear-jerker is star studded - S.V.Sahasranamam, Muthuraman, Vijayakumari ,Chandrababu ,Manorama, Nagesh , Balajee ….

SVS , despite his self disciplined life, struggles to control his daughter from treading on the love path & ultimately loses her also…..a role very well portrayed by SVS …. The first few scenes focus on the family ….each character & Sridhar smartly & swiftly covers all the main characters …..SVS will be a typical police man of yesteryears, very strict with his children

SVS, whose Seva stage was a highly respected troupe , like TK brothers was another cine veteran . Policekaran Magal and Nawab Narkali were among their evergreen hits, some of which were later filmed successfully

The same SVS , though appeared in brief in Nadigar thilagam’s landmark Thillana mohanambal , plays his part well by safely ensuring that Padmini joins NT in that train ! Also acts as a neutral observer during the Thillana test

Again , SVS played the eldest brother character in Nadigar thilagam’s first movie – Parasakthi ….. it was the good old SVS only who plays the role of the first son of the family hailing in Rangoon & later moves to Tamilnadu as a Judge

Another interesting aspect of this movie – No P.S. but SJ & LRE for female voice !

This movie is another classic by the great P.B.Srinivas who remains in the best books of MSV forever . MSV admires the song improvising capabilities of PBS with awe. MSV used PBS for non MGR, NT songs

PBS’s voice fitted well for Gemini, Muthu , Kalyankumar ………. He rarely sang for MGR in Paal vannam paruvam kandu , Neeyo naano yaar nilave

This PBS-MSV-TKR have given some time immemorial numbers in the 60s. The list is huge but I wish to highlight songs from Sumai thaangi, Nenjam marappadhillai , Kathirundha kangal ,Paar magale paar , Kalai kovil

Who can forget Mouname paarvayaal oru paattu paada vendum ! or for that matter – Naan unnai serndha selvam , from Kalai kovil

Aval parandhu ponale – echoes the heartburn feelings of a lover

Nilave ennidam nerungadhey will speak volumes

Do I need to say anything about – Kalangalil aval vasantham !

PBS wrote several songs in Kannada apart from singing

Though the PBS era ( when compared to TMS ) was short , may be 10 years but the melodious songs & the resultant super hits have made his position secure forever in the hearts of music lovers

PBS , for all his achievements is a simple – down to earth person who can be spotted like a common man in Chennai Luz area with his famous fur cap . No shying away or inhibitions, you can shake hands with him & he will give a warm smile at you !!

Actually I was breaking my head as to which song I should select but my choice veered towards Indha mandarathil simply for the pace with which it was picturised & the excellently structured - fast paced music
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: MSV-PBS. Reply with quote

Good analysis Balaji. I entirely agree with your comments. We should call the MSV-TKR-PBS numbers as the "Golden Era" of Tamil Cinema. It should remain on the Top Rack of the Melody collection of the Master. Till date, there is no replacemet for PBS's voices (it goes for TMS too).

You have misssed out one very important movie, i.e. "IDHAYATHIL NEE" (Director: Muktha Srinivasan), which has:
1. Poo Varaiyum Poonguyile Poomalai Soodavaa
2. Odivadhupol Idai Irukkum Irukkattume
3. Yaar Sirithal Enna, Ingu Yaar Azhudhal Enna

What about Sridhar's masterpieces "Kaadhalikka Neramillai" and "Vennira Adai"? These two films have major hits sung by PBS. Leaving these and the films/songs mentioned by you out, I would like to add below a few more Gems of MSV-PBS:

01. Anbu Manam Kanindha Pinne Acham Thevaya, from Alukkoru Veedu
02. Paarthu Paarthu Ninradhile Paarvai Izhandhen, from Manap Pandhal
03. Yaar Yaar Yaar Aval Yaaro, from Paasa Malar
04. Roja Malare Raaja Kumari, from Veera Thirumagan
05. Ennai Thottu Senrana Kangal, Ekkam Kondu Senrana Kaigal
06. Ilamai Koluvirukkum Iyarkai Manamirukkum, from Hello Mr Zamindhar
07. Kanni Venduma Kavidhai Venduma, from Bagyalakshmi
08. Aadhi Manidhan Kaadhalukkuppin, from Bale Paandiya
09. Athikkai Kai Kai, from Bale Paandiya
10. Ponnonru Kanden Pennangu Illai, from Padithal Mattum Podhuma
11. Poojaikku Vandha Malare Vaa, from Paadha Kanikkai
12. Kannirandum Minna Minna, from Andavan Kattalai
13. Jaavure Jaa Indha Gettukku Nee Raaja, from Kumarip Pen
14. Kathirundha Kangale Kadhai Alandha Nenjame, from Motor Sundaram Pillai.
15. Poga Poga Theriyum Indha Poovin Vaasam Puriyum, from Server Sundaram
16. One Day One Way One Girl One Boy, from Nee
17. Netruvarai Nee Yaro Naan Yaro, from Vaazhkai Padagu
18. Chinna Chinna Kannanukku, from Vaazhkai Padagu
19. Sendhur Murugan Kovinile Oru Sedhiyai Naan Ketten, from Shanthi
20. Raja Raja Sri Rajan Vandhan, from Ooty Varai Uravu

By the way, "Mouname Paarvaiyal Oru Paatu Padavendum" is from "Kodi Malar", another Sridhar-Muthuraman-MSV-PBS combination film.

With Luv,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: PBS Hits. Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

I missed out few more important PBS Hits:

21. Kaadhal Enbadhu Edhuvarai, from Padha Kanikkai.
22. Paadaadha Paattellam Paada Vandhay, from Veera Thirumagan
23. Udalukku Uyir Kaaval, from Manap Pandhal
24. Ennaruge Nee Irundhal, from Thirudadhe
25. Nallavan Enakku Naane Nallavan, from Padithaal Mattum Podhuma
26. Kangale Kangale Kaadhal Seyvadhai Vittu Vidungal, from Vaazhkai Padagu.
27. Raamu I love you Raaja I love you, from Unakkaaga Naan

Try to add more.

Bye,
Venu Soundar
sankaran.lic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: MSV-PBS. Reply with quote

Venugopalan Soundararajan wrote:
Good analysis Balaji. I entirely agree with your comments. We should call the MSV-TKR-PBS numbers as the "Golden Era" of Tamil Cinema. It should remain on the Top Rack of the Melody collection of the Master. Till date, there is no replacemet for PBS's voices (it goes for TMS too).

You have misssed out one very important movie, i.e. "IDHAYATHIL NEE" (Director: Muktha Srinivasan), which has:

What about Sridhar's masterpieces "Kaadhalikka Neramillai" and "Vennira Adai"? These two films have major hits sung by PBS. Leaving these and the films/songs mentioned by you out, I would like to add below a few more Gems of MSV-PBS:

Quote:
Kanni Venduma Kavidhai Venduma, from Bagyalakshmi

By the way, "Mouname Paarvaiyal Oru Paatu Padavendum" is from "Kodi Malar", another Sridhar-Muthuraman-MSV-PBS combination film.

With Luv,
Venu Soundar

DEAR VENU ,

KANNI VENDUMA FROM AANDAVAN KATTALAI NOT BAGYALAKSHMI

SANKARANARAYANAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: PBS Hits. Reply with quote

Dear Saradha,

I think you have not read my mail properly. I had clearely mentioned "Leaving these and the films/songs mentioned by you out, I would like to add below a few more Gems of MSV-PBS". Since Mr Balaji had already mentioned about "Kalangalil Avan Vasantham" & "Paal Vannam Paruvam Kandu", I didn't mention these songs. Similarly, he had mentioned about "Paar Magale Paar". That's why I have not included them (in fact nothing from "Paar Magale Paar").

Saradha & TFM,

I very well know that the music for "Thurdathe" was by SMS. But music for this one song, i.e. "Ennaruge Nee Irundhal" was my MSV (you can make it out from the quality of the song itself). The story is that (as you may know), MSV was assisting SMS in those days. Music for "Ennaruge" was exclusively done by MSV. SMS was so impressed that he admitted publicly that the music for "Ennaruge" was scored by MSV. I do not know whether it appeared in the Title of the film.

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Uravinil 50/50 Reply with quote

Dear TFM,

I have not gone thro your list in detail yet. But at a glance, I found "Uravinil 50-50" from "Galaatta Kalyanam". But I don't think PBS is involved in this number.

Bye,
Venu Soundar
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu Soundar,

Thank for the information that "Ennarugae Nee Irundhal" is by MSV.
what a song!!!!

regards
Sampat
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MSV-PBS. Reply with quote

[

A very good analysis on the Sridhar-MSV combination.

I doubt is any other director in Indian cinema even today who can be compared with CV sridhar in song picturisation. Yes Balachandar has his own style but lack the technical prowess that Sridhar has.

I have read in filmfare some years back in an article where it was mentioned that Yash chopra is a great song picturisation director. Indeed he is having watched many of his films. but is also palesd into insignificance when compared to Sridhar.

Just recall how each song of kadalikka neramillai, nejuerukkum varai, kalai kovil, nenjil oru alayam etc have been picturesed. When sridhar is ably associated with a music maestro like MSV the result can be only extra-ordinarily brilliant.

R.Vasudevan.

07. Kanni Venduma Kavidhai Venduma, from Bagyalakshmi

With Luv,
Venu Soundar[/quote] :D
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saradhaa_sn wrote:
Yes...

PBS is not there in 'Uravinil 50-50'

I think the voice 'fifty-fifty' and 'pAdhi-pAdhi' may be by Sadhan for AVM Rajan (or by MSV himself...?, not sure)

Enna Saro Chechi

AL Raghavan peyarai eppadi marandheergal Very Happy
It was by ALR only .
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of information shared here.... Good going!!

Dear Balaji, really nice that you have come-up with such a good writing!!
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listings by TFMLover and Raghavan in this thread is surely worth a mention! More like this please....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: