"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vaai Thirandhu Sollamma... - Thangappadumai.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahalakshmi Parthasarathy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Vaai Thirandhu Sollamma... - Thangappadumai. Reply with quote

Hi all !!!

The song that I've Chosen this time to analyse is "Vaai thirandhu Sollamma" from Thangappadumai.

I personally feel that P.Leela's voice is the most apt voice for Padhmini & Vyjayanthimala than anyother playback singer's voice.

This song is one like that. I donot know how many of them in this generation have got a chance to view the song, I'm so lucky to have watched the song.

P. Leela's contribution to this song is simply superb and simply beyond the words. She has shown navarasams in her voice in this particular song itself....

Song starts like this.....

Vaai thirandhu sollamma
Un magalin kadhayai kelamma....
Thunbam varai kadandu pona pinbum mounama..
Needhi murai kadandha neeyum pengal Deivama...

This is the climax song and the situation of the song is that a girl who worships Kannagi all through her life has to undergo so many disasters in her life....to the extent of losing her Husband's vision...having couldnt tolerate the situation she pleads to Kannagi for her Husband's vision and for a good life..she asks for justice...Leela has done a great job...she has expressed the real Kobam/seetram in the above said lines...its only in the hands of the playback singer to deliver the real pain/feeling of the situation...otherwise the song will fail to convey the real meaning for which its actually meant...

I swear...MSV's way of choosing a playback singer for a song is really awesome...I still wonder how its possible for MSV alone to do such a magic..another song from the same movie that deserves a special mention is "manidhan arambamavadhu pennukkulley".. though MSV has chosen TMS for all other songs for playback for Shivaji in this movie, he has chosen Isai Chitthar C.S. Jayaraman to sing this song alone...anyways this song again requires another new forum to discuss...

Now coming back to our song,

another stanza...

Kannil udirum malareduthu
karpu naaril saram thoduthu
annaiye un kaaladiyil satrinen...
un aalayathil anbu vilakketrinen......

wow...Leela literally cries....her voice is good enough to express the girl's sorrow, inability and how desperate she is...as if she has no other go except her goddess kannagi...

MSV always insists in bringing out the exuberance of the song for which the song is actually meant..

another stanza..

Madhurai thiru nagaram adhira
sigarathodu kuralum uyara
marai katraval padhara kodi sidhariya naavengey??

Leela has sung the above lines without any break/gap in between...breatheless.... I'm not sure whether anyother music director other than MSV has given such a chance to the female playback singer before....

MSV's composition, P.Leela's delivery & modulation coupled with Padmini's performance makes the song so grand....This deserves a special mention...I would like to convey my another personal opinion here....Padmini is not only Nattiya paeroli...but she very much deserves the title of Nadigaiyar Thilagam too.....
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a excellent song u have chosen of thanga padumai .the lyric is made up of pure tamil and it is an exercise for any MD but for our V it is like a paal payasam
this black and white of early sixties is a hit even today and late leela liked this song much
let me listen again for more inputs
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Neat Presentation !! Reply with quote

Dear Mahalakshmi,
Very good and detailed analysis of a really RARE song....Neat presentation...But I am very unfortunate to have not heard this song and could not find it online anywhere.....Infact I wanted to reply after listening to this song.. Sad Can you share this song if you have ?

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
Ram

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here...!!!

Dear Mahalakshmi, your analysis creates a great interest to listen to the song, but am yet to find anywhere online... If you (or anyone) could share the song, I'll be happy to upload in the Songs section.

Mahalakshmi Parthasarathy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the response !!!
Sure.. I'll try to send you the song at the earliest !!
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I have not heard the song till now. If u could arrange to upload the song, we will be able to appreciate your write up better.

With regards
Sampat
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearty Welcome to the Forum...

Nice writeup. You are very right in mentioning MSV's ability to choose a Singer. To me, he alone has done this very meticulously all through his tenure.

சுய விளம்பரத்துக்காகக் கூட தமிழ் தெரியாத பாடகர்களை அவர் இறக்குமதி செய்து பாட வைக்கவில்லை என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது!...

அன்புடன்
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: