"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NITHAM NITHAM EN KANNODU INBAKANAA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: NITHAM NITHAM EN KANNODU INBAKANAA Reply with quote

Wonder of Wonders is this song!! Normally, as you all know the notes by itself will not give the required feel of any song. The modulation, accent and oscillation of notes are the factors to bring out the needed BHAVA of any song! This is the hall mark of our GREAT GIANT!! This is best reflected in this particular song!!

The Speciality of the Song is... THE SONG ITSELF

What prelude with ghazal like alap by our great master! He had literally thrown a challange to Ustads!! Master gives a feeling "Raga Rageshri" is going to be explored!! If you have that feeling you are thouroughly mistaken! He deceives you and gets into the scale of Sudha nattai.

Having said this, I could not fix up a clear scale for this song and moreover that would be a futile exercise considering the meritorious sangathis with sudden turns and unexpected switch over!!

This song is beyond any analysis , I sincerely beleive!! One has to listen to this song many a times to imbibe the beauty sculpured!!

The Rythmic pattern is what astounding me a lot!! How could a man conceive this idea and put into practice in a jiffy! Truely amazing!!!

For convenience sake let us have the beat with 4 notes each(Tha ka dhi mi)
The pallavi "Nitham Nitham" starts after 3 notes. (i.e Tha Ki Ta). Clear example of 3 thali is "Sakkani Raja Margamu" of Saint Thiyagaraja.

What a sangathis!! Then comes the two charanams!! What an execution!! WORDLESS!!

Total notes of the charanam is 157. First Two lines "Mannilae .... Indru" gives feeling of different gait altogether but its all chatustram only. See the following mathematics. Astonishing!!

Manillae Vidukatti Aalavandhaai Naetru - 24

Nenjulae Kudukatti Vazhavandhaai Indru - 24

Total is 48 notes. But that 24 is made into the combination of chatustram(4),Thisram (6) and Thisram(6) and Chatustram ( 8 ) as follows!!

Manillae - 4; Vidukatti-6; Aalavandhai - 6 ; Naetru - 8 = 24

The same for Nenjulae (24) making it altogether is 48!!
The Surprise is not yet over!!

Manillae starts after 2 notes ( in tamil 2 thalli)!!!! after the interlude.

When the "Manillae " is repeated the total is only 24+20 = 44 and not 48!!!
Then start "Aandha Malarum neenaivu thondrum...... Inba kanavu palikavaendum" with 16 notes each with Inba kanavu palikavanaenudum having 17 notes to facilate "Nitham" to start after 3 notes (ie 3 thalli). That is the reason for the extra one note (16+1 = 17)!! Total is (48+44+16+16+16+17 ) 157.

Unless otherwise, MSV has Paripoorna Saraswathi Kaadhaksham, How is this possible!!!

And last but not least, listen to the sangathis MSV employed to bring the importance of lyrics. Simply Superb!!!

I confess, I could not do full justice to this analysis and I was only sharing the striking aspects I enjoyed listening to this great marvel.. Somebody could do better justice!

With love
Sampat
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: NITHAM NITHAM KETKA VENDUM Reply with quote

Dear Sampath,

Your long time suspense broken atlast. I read thro' your post fully and as usual tried my best to understand it??? You know something, I rather stick to my way of analysing a song......

KEEP LISTENING TO THE SAME INNUMERABLE TIMES!!! AND KEEP LISTENING AGAIN!!!

Great work Sampath. Many in the technical arena could appreaicte it better. Me, the novice could only envy you guys for.... you have gone too deep into this Ocean called MSV to prospect and great to see that all of you are returning only with Pearls and nothing less or else!!!!

NITHAM NITHAM KETKA VENDUM INDHA PAADALAI!!!!!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

As you mentioned the best way to analyse MSV music is to listen to it many a times!! And moreover Vaidy you are in the heart of the MASTER HIMSELF!! Whatelse one could aspire for!!!

With Love,
Sampat
Ram

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: NITHAM NITHAM KETKA VENDUM Reply with quote

vaidymsv wrote:
Me, the novice could only envy you guys for.... you have gone too deep into this Ocean called MSV to prospect and great to see that all of you are returning only with Pearls and nothing less or else!!!!

One may be a "Scuba Diver" determined to take pearls from the ocean, or a "Submarine Driver", just travelling with an un-disturbed poise in sea, or a "Butterfly Swimmer" happily floating over the wave's surface, or a "Cruise Traveller" simply enjoying the ocean colours at sunset.

For any one the persons mentioned above, the Melodic Ocean otherwise known as "MSV's Music" offers the same level and amount of Joy - the Divine Joy !!! But the level cannot be measured/compared. Can just be felt !!!

Great Analysis, dear Sampath !!!

s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR ALL,

FOR WHAT MR.SAMPATH IS,A PASSIONATE ANALYST WITH OCEAN OF MUSICAL KNOWLEDGE,ACUMEN AND REPERTOIRE,THIS SONG IS THROWING UP ENORMOUS CHALLENGES FROM ALL ITS DIMENSIONS TO GET IT COMPREHENDED.

YESTERDAY,WHEN WE MET SAMPATH TO LEARN THE INTRICACIES OF THAALA TO BETTER APPRECIATE HIS ANALYSIS ,THE GURU TAUGHT US THE FIRST LESSONS ,BUT COULD NOT SUSTAIN FOR LONG SINCE THE SUBJECT "MSV" REPEATEDLY OVERTOOK US. BUT I TELL YOU, NOW WHEN I HEAR THE THIS SONG ,THE ILLUSORY DIFFERENCE HE CREATES BY SUBTLE COUNT INTERPRETATION STILL BEING IN CHATUSRAM ONLY IS ASTOUNDING.AS SAMPATH WOULD CONFESS, HE HAS ONLY SCRATCHED ONE ASPECT OF THE CREATIVE MARVEL IN COMPOSITIONAL BRILLIANCE.MASTERS USAGE OF RHYTHM ITSELF IS A GREAT SUBJECT OF RESEARCH AND WE SHOULD BE EXTREMELY THANKFUL TO MR SAMPATH FOR HIS GEMS.

SAMPATH,ALTHOUGH THE TASK LOOKS ASTOUNDING,KINDLY ANALYSE THIS SONG IN ALL ITS DIMENSIONS AND ENLIGHTEN US TO ENHANCE ITS HEARING EXPERIANCE.

WITH HUMBLE PRANAMS,

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
msvramki

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

அன்புள்ள சம்பத்,

அருமையான அலசல்.

உங்கள் எழுத்தைப் படிததபின் இப்பாட்டின் தாளநடையின் தனித்துவம் ஓரளவு புரிய ஆரம்பித்தது. ஏனெனில், இந்தப்பாட்டை இவ்வளவு நாள் கேட்கும்போது நானே தாளம் போட்டுப் பார்த்து வியந்திருந்ததால் !

நன்றி !! நன்றி.

என்ன ஒரு இணையற்ற மேதாவிலாஸம், மெல்லிசை மன்னருக்கு !!

இந்தப் பாடலை அலசுவது மிகக் கடுமையானது என்றாலும், தயவுசெய்து, சிறிது சிறிதாகவாவது தொடர்ந்து விவரிக்க வேண்டுகிறேன்.

ராம்கி.

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS,

Thank you very much for your encouragement. I sincerely believe my knowledge in music is very very little. This , I feel from the bottom of my heart and believe me, I am not telling this for the sake of being humble.
Moreover, I have great respect for your knowlege in every subject
. One request. Kindly avoid the word "Pranams" as you are elder to me in age and Gnam.

With Regards
Sampat
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An absolute professional write up as usual dear Sampath Very Happy

No words to describe about the beauty of this class composition of Mellisai Mannar. Amazing start with wonderful ghazalish flourish followed by SPB's creative singing. Heavy sangathi . Limitless wonder man our MSV !

Everytime , I get a new refreshing feel !

Thanks Very Happy
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampat,
You have done the best possible within human limits to bringout the amazing technicalities embedded into this song. This song is too much on abstract aesthetics... If God and Electricity can be shown to others, the aesthetics behind this song can also be described!... 'முடிஞ்சா analyze பண்ணிக்கங்கடா' என்று போட்டிருக்கார்!...

Apart from the aesthetics, there is one Fact and one Lesson hidden beneath... This has been demonstrated high and clear when MSV renders the prelude Humming...

1. Fact : MSV can be rated among the best of the best Singers. As you have rightly said, he has challenged the ustads!...

2. Lesson : The exemplery Modulation and accent which are visible in each and every Micro-bit of his rendering!... One can observe, the Volume in his voice waxes and wanes at appropriate points of the Musical Phrases, thus bringing out phenomenol life into the rendering. I think this is the most difficult part of any vocal rendering.

Sa Ni... (The volume is max in his voice when pronouncing Sa and instantly wanes down when pronouncing Ni )
Sa Da... (The volume is moderate...)
Ni Pa Da Ma.. (Ni Starts with moderate volume...Pa is a bit more emphasized...Da is again moderate...Ma is Oscillated with moderate
volume)

I think, the mere Prelude rendered by MSV can be a Reference Book for explaining what is Modulation to the younger Generation Singers who aspire perfection!... What a Creator!?... It is no joke if invariably great Singers like Suseela, SPB & Sujatha spell out that they were able to reciprocate only 60% of what this Creator taught them!

With Love
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVS and Sampath

For you both, this song should be a big opportunity to explore further. Why both of you are off for long !!

Extrordinary song . The cruel time has mercilessly taken away from our memories .

Everytime we hear this, I get a special feeling . No words to describe the beauty Very Happy
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji Sir,
I am running thro a hectic time since 1 week. Hope to comeback sooner to participate in the Forum routines. Thank you very much for your affection and care.

With Love
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: