"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANBULLA MAAN VIZHIYAE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: ANBULLA MAAN VIZHIYAE Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

How r u all? Long time no see. First Place. Ram and Roopa. My hearty congratulations though you have not invited me for your reception. Let me be frank. Yes I was very upset when I heard from our good friend NVS, that your reception is over. Nevertheless, "ENGRINDHAALUM VAZHGA". Hope our great giant is back with a bang and is feeling better on health ground. Mr.Vaidy, neer kuda yaenai kandukalai sir? yennai marandhadhaeno?

First and foremost, as I was busy in my official front I could not get in touch with u all. Because I sincerely believe, the music of our master MSV needs more time to come out with an analysis worth reading. That is the reason for this gap. I hope MSVRamki, Vaidy, NVS, Saradha, Balaji, SVS ,irrehastings and all others (if I have left any of the names, please bear with me. It is not intentional) are fine.

The song I have taken for analysis is "Anbulla Maan Vizhiyae"..

Basic Facts

1. The song is in E major Scale

2. The Rythm is 4/4 (Chatustram). Have four notes per beat. That
makes 16 notes per cycle of 4 beats. (Tha ka di mi - 4 times).

3. The chords used are E/B/A alongwith Bm (That is MSV).

1. The underlying speciality of the song is the concept of couterpoint.

Couterpoint:

There are two melodies played simultaneously with different color and rythm. The fixed melody is called as Cantus firmus and the second melody is called "Counterpoint"

There are many couterpoints the details of which I am not going to talk about. But MSV used two part counter point in this song.

2. The Cadence used in the pallavi is known as Plagal Cadence. i.e
Chord at end is the root i.e I and its penultimate chord is IV. Hence Plagal Cadence is IV-I.

Cadence means the end of a phrase.

Now we go to the technicalities of the song.

PRELUDE

The prelude is composed in such a way it gives an intro to the pallavi. Please bear this in mind (all the lines of the pallavi from Anbulla manvizhiyae to Oor Kavithai) in understanding the concept of couterpoint. Friends, the Cantus Firmus is only the like of the pallavi.

The prelude is predominantly in Guitar. Listen to the prelude very carefully to understand the following. Otherwise the you are bound to miss the genius at work!! Cantus firmus is in Lead Guitar and the its couterpoint is in Bass Guitar.

First Line (1 cycle of 16notes )

Cantus firmnus (8 notes) Ga.Ga Ga.Ga GaGa (Tham tha Tham tha thaka)
Conterpoint PaDaDa PaDaDa PaDa (Thakita thakita Thaka)
(Pa,Da - lower octave)
Ending (8 notes) Sa.Ga Pa....

(Sa has 1 note value Sa. - 2, Sa.. - 3 and so on. Please have 4 notes per beat and the cycle has 16 notes in this song)

Second Line (1 cycle of 16 notes)

Cantus firmnus (8 notes) R.RR Ga.SS (Tham thaka Tham thaka)
Counterpoint here Chords B and E are used. (Unique again!!!)

Ending (8 notes ) Ma.PaDa....

Third Line ( 1 cycle of 16 notes)

Cantus firmus (8 notes) Pa. PaPa Pa. NiSa (Tham Thaka Tham Thaka)
Counterpoint GaGaGaGa GaGaGaGa (Thakadhimi Thakadhimi)
(Ga is in lower octave)
Ending (8 notes) Ma.PaNi....

Fourth Line (1 cycle of 16 notes)

Cantus firmus (8 notes) Ga.SaSa Da. SaSa (Tham Thaka Tham Thaka)
Counterpoint PaPaGaGa SaSa DaDa( Thakadhimi Thakadhimi)
(Da is in lower octave)
Ending ( 8 notes ) Sa.RiGa....

What a Prelude!!!! Listen to it many a times to enjoy it.

Next come the pallavi with 16 notes per cycle with TMS in full bhava. (What a singer! Ivara sir "Pattum naane Bhavayum Naane" Paadinaar??? AAMAAM Sir! Pattum TMS than Bhavamum TMS than. Who else?)

Anbulla Maan Vizhiyae ( E chord)

Asaiyil Oor Kadhidham! Naan ( incomplete beginning of the rythm cycle)
(Asaiyil Oor kadhi - B chord Dham - A )

Yezhudhuvadenaavendral Uyir ( incomplete beginning again) (Uyir - B)

Kaadhalin Oor Kavidhai (A is the subdominant of E ie the root I)

(Kaadhalin - E Oor Kavi - A, Dhai - E chord)

A is IV and E is I hence the ending is IV-I and the cadence is Plagal.

In the pallavi, the rythm pattern is wonderful. First two beats no rythm. Rythm (only Bongo is used in the entire song) pattern is Tham thatha tham thatha thaKa (3+3+2 = 8 notes = 2 beats). This is the undelying rythm current of this song.

After the end of the Pallavi there is bit which includes Pradhimadhyamam also the swaras are Pa Ma2 Ma1 Ga (NVS see the usage of both adhyamams here. Real Genius) . Then comes the violin bit. what a bit!
Is the violin played by Mellisai Mannar T.K.Ramamurthy? The interlude starts after the starting point of the cycle of rythm.

Start from the upper octave " GaRiSaNiDha.. PadhaPaMa.GaRi!
RiSaNiDhaPa.. MaPaMaGa.RiSa! "

Watch out the same bit is going to be repeated in guitar and then in violin with wonderful coutermelody.

Now the pallavi will repeated by PS. What a voice. The lyrics are different.
This is followed by an interlude in violin and flute and includes Ni 1 (not part of the raga) also. That is the greatness of the MSV.

Even the anupallavi uses this variation of Nishadham and hence the use of the chord Bm for the word mulai malarae. The part of the annupallavi is of question nature. Poongodi also contains Ni1.

Then comes the interlude explained above ie.

" GaRiSaNiDha.. PadhaPaMa.GaRi!

Firstly, the interlude is in guitar.

And the interlude is repeated in violin with a wonderful couterpoint.

Cantus firmus:

" GaRiSaNiDha.. PadhaPaMa.GaRi!

Counterpoint:

Sa. Ga Dha Ma Pa MaPa Ga (The counts I have not given for want of
time)

One thing, I would like to reiterate. The counter point is completely different melody in color, content and rythm. Listen to it very carefully to understand the beauty of it.

Then comes the charanam by PS . The part of the charanam is in the form of reply to anupallavi question.

The pallavi is sung by TMS and PS alternatively with a great finish.

What a song? This song serves a great example of coutermelody.

Hope I have done some infinitely small justice to this song.

By the way I have sung a title song for the program "Amudha Surabhi" on Podhigai. It is being telecast every Monday between 5.10 to 5.35 evening. The lyrics start with "Senthamizh Muzhangidum sem mozhi Koodam". It is slated to be telecast for 50 weeks. Kindly listen to my voice and revert back. Makkal Mandram, a program telecast by Podhigai, also has the title song with my voice. But I do not know the timings.

Awaiting all your esteem reply.

(NOTE: I am bound to be corrected if the analysis has any technical flaws)

S.Sampat
rajeshkumar_v

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sampat wonderful analysis

Anbulla maan vizhiye will definitely fit among the top 10 love duets by MSV-TKR

PS & TMS are awesome and lovely lyrics by Vaali
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampat,
What a way to come back!!?...

Incidentally, only yesterday I have mailed you (harsat9503@gmail.com), checking out the reason for your prolonged absense from the Forum. What a coincidence & surprise...when I open the Link I find you here!!!...Thank you very much for making the comeback...and making it so marvellous...

On behalf of everyone of this family, I take the liberty of telling one thing Sampat... and since I have met personalities like Mr.Ramki & Mr.Vaidy, I am convinced to make this statement...

So noble are they... A lack of invitation would have been an unintentional miss amidst the hectic schedules they would have had that time... In fact, Mr.Vaidy had made a public invitation in the Forum thro one of his posts.

Sampat, I can vouch...everyone in this Forum have exceptional regards for you...you are a Treasure to us!... So keep gifting us with your contributions.

Now coming back to your Analysis...

I would say, this is the best Analysis I have ever come across about the nuances of a song, by someone. Many Technicalities you have mentioned are honestly a learning to me. Thank you very much for this enlightening script.

Regarding your Playback Singing, great to know this...I will certainly make it a point to watch the programme. All the very best.

with Love
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS,

Thank u very much for the appreciation. I personally moved by the affection you are pouring on me. I ll never forget anybody from this forum.

I would like to meet all at the earliest and exchange our views. I hope Mr.Vaidy and Mr. MSVRamki will do the needful.

With regards
S.Sampat
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing analysis Sampath ! Superb. I keep on reading this post & still that Rajavin parvai post !

Whenever I discuss with my brother( who is a guitarist ) about Mellisai Mannar, there are some select picks which we always analyze and cherish . This song is one such , especially for the splendid guitar work !
The best part for both of us is when TMS ( later PS ) sings the second sentence of pallavi – Aasayil ooor kadidham ( amazing chords from behind ).

See, MSV was one who actually launched many such western instruments to tamil cinema music and used it extensively when they were not that known to music lovers.

The same counter point technique is used in Andru vandhadhum idhe nilaa , as well . The duo have used it in Katru vandhal thalai sayum nanal also !

Thanks to you / NVS / Ram , the tech. analysis is going great which should be a lesson for future generation. You all follow a unique pattern in presentation which is the best thing to happen to MSV times.

Reading such an analysis from you guys make me wonder about MSV . What a personality he had been earlier ! God’s precious gift to tamil music . With all the achievements, MSV always call it a TEAM WORK .

Your analysis is like Gilchrist’s scintillating final knock ! There is no end to you and NVS . Keep on moving to higher levels .

Continue to enlighten us with special picks.

Take your time but come out with gems like this.

Hearty congrats for your singing in Podhigai . Great to hear about you.

probably we all shall meet next month . I wish we all meet the Master ( a meet of all MSV forum members ) provided his health is improved.
We have so many to discuss .
Ram

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampath,

I'm extremely happy to see your back after a while, with your amazing write-up. Take your time, but please continue this great job.

Your analysis is Music Lesson(s) for everyone here!
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram and Roopa

How is life? Life would have taken a new meaning with bondage of marriage. I am happy that Roopa is also an ardent devotee of our giant composer.

I am very much encouraged to see all your appreciations which is tonic for me. I ll continue to do the job with whatever little knowledge I have and somebody like NVS could come out with a better analysis as well.

Wish you happy married life. Do not mistake me for the adhangam I expressed. The fact remains that I was very much eagerly waiting to c u all. Atleast if Mr.Vaidy could arrange a meeting for all of us preferably with the master it would be nice.

Awaiting a positive reply from Mr. Vaidy and Mr.MSVRamki

Sampat
Ram

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampath,

Thanks for your wishes. We are doing fine.

I totally understand your interest for a "MSV Club" meet along with our Musical Genius. Infact it was with this intention Vaidy announced my reception in the "Announcement" section. (Just an info, our MSV had an urgent appointment in my reception evening. Still, Mrs.MSV was kind enough to grace the occasion)

Anyways, for those who missed that...No issues... Am sure Vaidy should be able to arrange for a meet. Vaidy uncle, I know you currently have some hectic personal works. But you are "The Man" for arranging the meet. That too, if it happens with the "Master", that will become something to be cherished for life, for everyone!

And...a truth, dear Sampath - MSVTimes is proud to have a member like you!
msvramki

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampath,

Nice comeback with a great analysis of MSV's 'Anbulla Maan Vizhiye'
Your such writing is an asset to our web site and a treasure to the future
generation. Pl keep building it !

I had sent invitations to all MSVTIMES club members whoever had given their email id in their profile page. In fact we wanted that occasion to be the first meeting place of our club members that too amidst the presence of the genius MSV !
How come we missed you - we do not know !

This meeting of all our active MSV Club members is OVERDUE and it should happen quickly. I long to see you each one of you personally since we all stand in one common platform - MSV !!

We will make it happen that too with MSV with us !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NVS : Thank you very much for voluntarily coming forward to explain the situation to Sampth - to his 'grievence with affection' on Ram's reception invitation. It was soooo nice of you !!

I look forward to your analysis of many more songs !

What happened to your "Kannadasan walking on the corridors of today's
'Meesick' corridors of Kolywood " ?

Thanks NVS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards to you Sampth.
Ramki
[/color]
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR SAMPATH,

YOUR WRITING IMMEDIETLY ELECTRIFIES THE ENTIRE FORUM DISCUSSIONS.YOUR FORMAT AND STYLE IS SO APPEALING THAT IT KINDLES THIS MUSINETIZEN TO LEARN THE TECHNICALITIES SO THAT APPRECIATION OF THE MASTERS MUSIC WILL BE IN DEEPER PLANE.I WISH I LEARN.

WHEN I SEARCHED THRO" AVAILABLE LITERATURE OF SUCH TECHNICAL,AESTHETIC ANALYSIS OF CINE SONGS (VERY FEW ARE AVAILABLE) ,THEY EITHER STOP WITH JUST NOTATING THE SONG(THE SONG SELECTIONS ARE TOO SIMPLE AND "KUPPAI" AND NOT ONE SONG IS FROM MSV) AND I DONT WANT TO MENTION THE NAME OF A GUY WHO CHURNS OUT SUCH STUFF BY THE DAY.

ONE REASONABLY GOOD BOOK I HAVE COME ACROSS IS "CHORDS& RAAGA" - A STUDY ON STRUCTURE OF INDIAN FILM MUSIC FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF SCALES,CHORDS & RAAGA BY G.KRISHNAN . MY LEVEL OF APPRECIATING THE STUFF IS QUITE CURSORY BUT MY GUT FEELING TELLS ME THAT IT IS ONLY A FAIR ATTEMPT.

YOUR FORMAT AND CONTENT LOOKS FAR MORE SUPERLATIVE AND I REQUEST YOU TO CONTINUE TO DO THIS WHICH WILL HELP BUILD LITERATURE ON CREATIVE MUSIC WHICH IS LITERALLY NON EXISTANT.
IN THIS CONTEXT,YOUR WRITINGS ARE QUITE PRECIOUS( MR.HANUMAN,PLEASE KNOW THY STRENGTH).

I HAVE A REQUEST.WHY CANT YOUR NEXT ANALYSIS BE ON A CLASSICAL BASED COMPOSTION SO THAT YOU CAN EXPOSIT HOW THE MASTER HANDLES THE RAAGA SO DIFFERENTLY AND PARTICULARLY THE PRELUDES AND INTER LUDES.MY SUGGESTION OF THE SONGS WILL BE

KONJA NERAM ENNAI MARANTHEN IN HAMEERKALYANIFROM SIRITTU VAAZHA VENDUM
OR
NEERADA NERAM NALLA NERAM IN PANTHUVARALI FROM VAIRA NENJAM

OR
SUGAMAANA SINTHANAIYIL IN VAASANTHI FROM TAXI DRIVER

KEEP SHOWERING SUCH WONDERFULLS ,

REGARDS
S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS,

Thanks a lot for your compliment. I ll take up the songs mentioned by u at the earliest. Are the songs mentioned available in our site? Because I do not have these collection with me. If you could arrange the songs, I ll definitely do my level best. And our NVS is always there to enrich forum with his apt comments and suggestion.

Please enlighten on this.

With regards,
Sampat
Ram

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.r.sankaranarayanan wrote:

KONJA NERAM ENNAI MARANTHEN IN HAMEERKALYANIFROM SIRITTU VAAZHA VENDUM
OR
NEERADA NERAM NALLA NERAM IN PANTHUVARALI FROM VAIRA NENJAM
OR
SUGAMAANA SINTHANAIYIL IN VAASANTHI FROM TAXI DRIVER

Dear Sampath,

All these three songs are in our site. You can find these under respective alphabets in "Songs" section. "K"onja, "N"eerada, "S"ugamaana.

The Club is eagerly awaiting your next pick !!!!!
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Dear Balaji Sir,
The foremost blessing for this website is the positive fragnances of everyone around. Each one has a uniqueness in his own way of serving the cause. In fact it is me who must say : I am blessed to be with you all.

Dear Ramki Sir,
What could be more than the true affection of patrons like you & Vaidy...

Reg Kannadasan's experiences...it is getting ready. I am planning to post it after my next Post which would be the 6th Dimension of the Giant.

With Love
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: SCINTILLATING SAMPATH!!! Reply with quote

[color=green]IF OUR LEGEND'S MUSIC IS MELODIUS, SOUL STIRRING, HEART RENDERING, MOVING, BINDING THEN SAMPATH YOUR POSTING WAS JUST SCINTILLATING!!!

I am a novice as far as technicality of a song is concerned but yet I managed to win the most coveted award given & verbally quoted by Our Legend himself - "VAIDY NEE ORU PERIYA RASIGANAIYYA". I consider this as the biggest award a non - musical person could have ever received in this world!!!

Sampath the way you have written, assured me of one thing - A permanent treasure trove of MSV LOVERS. Pl continue your good work.

Cheers
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY
[/color]

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

You have opened my inner eyes by throwing a light on those gems of composition of our great beloved MSV which I had missed really. Crystal clear example is Nitham Nitham En Kannodu. I sincerely affirm that my rasanai is a pinch of dust before your true rasanai for heavenly music. Your includes M/s. Sabesan, Ramki,Ram,Venky,SRS,Jeyaram, Mandaveli Jayaraman and the emotional Bhaskar.

No exaggeration Vaidy. If I want to be true to myself, the above is true.

Yes. You are the true rasikan.

With regards
Sampat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: