"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thangathil mugam eduthu - Another Misra Shivaranjani special

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Thangathil mugam eduthu - Another Misra Shivaranjani special Reply with quote

After years of study or trying to understand the moods of our Mellisai Mannar, I admit that I will always be an starter ,a novice , doing my best to discover the sterling compositions he had created

Take for example , raga Shivaranjani – Misra Shivaranjani …

I did attempt to write on Vendum Vendum undhan uravu …which I incidentally realized that Misra Shivaranjani raga ….this song came during 1981-82

While unearthing the mystery behind the above composition , I got enlightened that the Master had already created a sensational dream song during 1977 for Makkal Thilagam - Meenava Nanban which is another Misra Shivaranjani at its innovative best !

It’s a real masterpiece ! Wonderful birkhas that KJY give !

Are we getting a point from MSV here ? For classically structured creations, he had used KJY or VJ ..>Was it because of the fact that both were trained well on Carnatic music ?

Malarooooo…..there is a micro second breath holding on to the swara and he blows apart with flurry of birkhas

Mannar must have decided to give a classical treatment no ? The Brilliant use of Mridangam which seamlessly shifts to Bangoos and the tempo changes completely !

By now , you all would have guessed it right….yes its THANGATHIL MUGAM
EDUTHU – a timeless classic sung by KJY and VJ …

Why I am saying that this is another Misra S category?

Listen to the first Pallavi - Its basically a Shivaranjani start !! even the counter melody on Violin …So for the Pallavi when sung initially, its typical Shivaranjani… the notes are - R2G2PR2G2P ( thangathil mugam eduthu ..Sandhanathil udal eduthu ) …. Then the other swaras of Shivaranjani for ( Mangai endru vandhirukkum malaro …nee maalai nere pon manjal nilavo )
Now when the pallavi is repeated, the swaras move to Misra SHivaranjani ! Thangathil--- starts with G3 !! and with other notes remaining same as the first pallavi , one will be tempted to preclude that its Misra SHivaranjani scale …

Before Charanam, there will be a swara prayogam by VJ – DNDGD…..

Now KJY completes the humming but you have a pleasant surprise here too ….he ends with D1 !

Ok..what about Charanam ?

The Charanam largely reflects Misra Shivaranjani notes.

A rider - the ending words …Andha idai thaangumaa….. D1 !
Again - indha idai thaangave kaigal irukkindrathu
konji uravaada malar manjam azhaikkindrathu

A mild touch towards N2 ( Malar manjam )

VJ’s swara inbetween comes like :
DNDGD
DSDS
NNDGDP

But don’t get carried away by the above notes… …Because N2 very rarely appears !!

Both D1 and N2 are not Shivaranjani-Misra Shivaranjani notes ..

Otherwise, this is a classic case meriting this raga !

Some songs stay with you forever ….TME is one such of our Master !

Of late, I feel that there is absolute bias by the media / blogs etc while writing on raga application in tamil cinema songs…There are plenty of some incredible works of Mellisai Mannar which still remain a mystery …
May be that the so called pundits , experts either they deliberately shun or out of ignorance ??

Ofcourse , our own Mannar never himself admitted that he composed a song set to a specific raga …

Atleast for this song, can we say that he had subconsciously kept the raga in mind ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo7QPV9J8YQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: