"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ulagam pirandhadhu enakkaaga - Rousing start - Paasam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Ulagam pirandhadhu enakkaaga - Rousing start - Paasam Reply with quote

When a super hero ( Super human ) like Makkal Thilagam is introduced in a movie, its UTMOST IMPORTANT that the arrival is made catchy . Not only the camera work but also the background music score has to match with the situation. And if it happens to be a song sequence, only extraordinary composers can create the real impact.

So when the great man comes out of the prison ( Ilaignar seer thirutha palli ), the camera first shows 2 legs coming out of the prison. One can imagine the anxiety and restlessness amongst fans when thalaivar is introduced . Especially this movie was an exceptionally exceptional movie because MGR appears only after 22 minutes after the movie is on !

It’s a real challenge for the great masters MSV-TKR to come up with a really striking tune and orchestration.

And what a song it turned out to be ultimately ULAGAM PIRANDHADHU ENAKAAGA .

The high speed tempo set through the scintillating violin / accordion prelude convey precisely the mood of the given situation .

A sense of positive / vibrant feeling is created through the thunderous prelude and the ever enthusiastic golden voice of TMS
!

A free bird ( infact a shot is being shown a bird flying ) MGR comes out happily from the cell and joyfully / cheerfully runs around singing this eternal classic .

MGR always wished / conveyed a positive start to his movies and this song is no exception .

This 1961 release T.R. Ramanna directed PAASAM is one of the very best portrayals of Makkal thilagam but sadly didn’t go well with the fans . Why his fans, even for an ardent Nadigar Thilagam fan like me never wanted MGR to die in a movie . Such has been his magnetic pulling power and charisma . This movie saw commendable performance by him as a character actor but on seeing the outcome of the movie and the affection and love the fans have over him, he changed his formulae totally and never looked back. ( before, he dies in Madurai Veeran )

How does the song take off ? It’s really a rousing start with group of violin and accordion in hectic chase and the prelude runs for a magical 23 seconds before TMS starts with Ulagam pirandhadhu enakaga , odum nadhigalum enakaga.

Only Kavignar Kannadasan can pen such enterprising lyrics :

Odum nadhigalum enakkaga
Malargal malarvadhu enakkaga
Annai madiyai virithal enakkaga

And during this phase, MGR had already been part of DMK and a strong force to reckon with . So, the lyrics are very carefully but poetically sculptured :

Kaakai midhakkum oligaliley
Kadalil thavazum alaigaliley
IRAIVAN IRUPADHAI NAAN ARIVEN
ENNAI AVANEY THAAN ARIVAAN
!!

MGR didn’t want to antagonize the staunch aethists and hence went soft on the existence of God but presented it in a very subtle manner !

Now, he talks about his future plans :

Thavazum nilavam thanga radham
Tharagai padhitha manimagudam
Kuyilgam paadum kalai koodam
KONDADHU ENADHU ARASAANGAM
!!

And he never forgets to cover his formula mother sentiment :

Ellam enakkul irundhalum
Ennai thanakkul vaithirukkum
ANNAI MANAME EN KOVIL
AVALE ENDRUM EN DEIVAM
!!

This is one yet another song wherein TMS lives / breaths like MGR.

The interludes run at jet speed with scintillating usage of Accordion ,flute, violin , hawain guitar . And when TMS sings the charanam, the tabla runs along with in a nice manner complementing the rhythm set .

Running through the tune makes me feel like the tune has been set to avaroganam format ( from high pitch to low pitch ) .

See , the same tempo of avaroganam is applied even for charanam. May be musical experts can certify please.

The beauty of the song is that the high speed tempo is maintained evenly through the song & before you could blink your eyes, the song is over !

Many say ( even Mellisai Mannar himself had admitted this fact ) that MGR used to demand for the best from the composers and always had extensive sessions with them and ask for multiple tunes for a given situation and ultimately will decide one and invariably it turned out to be a super hit song !

By the time, this movie was made, MGR already had become a major dominant force in tamil cinema as an action hero and this movie’s theme surprised many . Movies like Nadodi Mannan, Mannadhi mannan , Mahadevi and all portrayed him as a king . However, in the same year, he had played roles like Rani Samyuktha, Vikramadithan to enhance his position.

MSV – TKR ( and later MSV solo ) have given some superb starts to MGR movies and this Ulagam pirandhadhu is one such. They have also given Acham enbadhu madamaiadaa earlier !

This movie has some lovely other songs :

•Paal vannam paruvam kandu - PBS and PS
•Jal jal jal ennum salangai oli – S.Janaki ( rare those days )
•Uravu solla oruvar indri vazbavan ( PS )
•Maalayum iravum sandhikkum idathil ( PBS and SJ for Kalyankumar & his pair )

PBS rarely sung for MGR ( another was ennaruge nee irundhal from thirudadhey and Neeyo naano yaar nilave ) . Paal vannam is another class song .

Also , by this time, the MSV-TKR duo had established a firm footing in tfm and what followed soon , we all know. Amazing albums for MGR/Shivaji / Gemini Ganesan / Muthuraman and all and created history , the songs which are being widely heard even today ! The duo became a formidable pair and the songs during this period are real gems to preserve for ever.
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: PERFECT...come back !!! Reply with quote

Dear Balaji sir,
As usual, amazing write up on the song in your own style.... Smile I would like to do add one amazing song that you have left....

THER EDHU SILAI EDHU, DEIVAM EDHU.....a very rare song which is beautifully tuned and orchestrated by MSV-TKR.

MSV Rules !!

Venky.
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaji Anna,

Wonderful write-up. A clear loft, as ever! Very Happy
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: MSV PIRANDHADHU ULAGUKKAGA!!! Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Exquisite wtite-up. One of my favourite MSV creations. I heard this song was penned within a short time when Kannadhasan was travelling to his native place. What a prelude for the song. Amazing stuff that makes every one awe stuck!!! MSV Neengal Pirandhadhu Ulagukkaga, Ulaga Isaikkaga!!!

Great stuff Balaji

CHEERS
VAIDY
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Wonderful Song, Wonderful presentation! Reply with quote

Dear Balaji Sir,
So marvellous a song to pick up...and so fantastic, unique & inspiring has been your way of presenting it. உங்கள் உரையைப் படித்த பின்னர் இந்த பாடலை மறுபடி மறுபடி கேட்டேன்!... உங்கள் உரை தந்த "Inspiration-லும்", இந்த பாடல் தந்த பிரமிப்பிலுமிருந்தும் மீளாமல் பின்வரும் வரிகள் வெளிவந்துவிட்டன...

'மெல்லிசை மன்னர், ராக எல்லைகளை அனாயாசமாகக் கடந்து மேதாவிகளைக் கூட தடவ விட்டிருக்கும் எண்ணற்ற இசை ஜாலங்களில் இந்தப் பாடலும் ஒன்று' என்று சொல்லத் தோன்றுகிறது!... மனிதனாகப் பிறந்த எந்த ஒரு இசை மேதைக்கும் இது சாத்தியப் படுமா என்கிற பிரமிப்பே ஏற்படவும் செய்கிறது!...

பிரமிப்பு ஒன்று :

இசையில் ஓரளவுக்கு மேதையாக இருக்கும் இசையமைப்பாளர்கள் கூட நடபைரவி போன்ற ஒரு Pathos (Minor based) ராகத்தை அடிப்படையாக ஒரு Grand Introduction-க்கு தேர்வு செய்வார்களா என்பது மிகப் பெரிய கேள்விக்குறி!... "நான் விரும்பும் Feelings-ஐ எந்த ராகமானாலும் பிரதிபலித்துத்தான் ஆக வேண்டும்" என்கிற தோரணையில் இந்த மாமேதை தேர்வு செய்திருப்பது ஒரு Pathos Feel-ஐ கொடுக்க கூடிய ராகம்!...

Basic Scale :
ஸ ரி2 க1 ம1 ப த1 நி1 ஸ்
F ---G---G#-A#--C--C#-D#--F
F Minor Chord

Note : "ஸ்" என்பது கர்நாடக சங்கீத Notation முறைப்படி மேல் ஸ்தாயி "ஸ"-வை குறிக்கிறது;

பிரமிப்பு இரண்டு :

Prelude முழுவதும் ஏறக்குறைய இந்த Scale-ஐயே follow செய்தவர், Tune-ன் முதல் வரியிலேயே இந்த Scale-க்கு சற்றும் சம்பந்தமில்லாத, குதூகுலத்தை குறிக்கவைக்க வேண்டி) "த2"-வை சேர்த்து இருப்பது மிக பெரிய அற்புதம்!!!.... அப்படி சேர்ப்பது எவ்வித disharmonious feel-ஐயும் கொடுத்துவிடக் கூடாது என்று, Prelude-ன் முடிவில்,

ஸ்..ஸ்..- நி1..நி1..- த2..
F..--F...---D#..D#..- D..

என்பதாக முடித்து, பாடலையும் இதே ஸ்வரங்களில் ஆரம்பித்து Jolly & Optimistic Mood-ஐ Grand-ஆக கொண்டுவந்துவிட்டார்!... பல்லவி அமைந்திருக்கும் ஸ்வரங்கள் பின்வருமாறு :

உ -ல --கம்-----பிறந் -த --து --எ னக்---கா --க...
ஸ் ஸ் ஸ்------ஸ்ஸ் ஸ் ஸ் --நி1நி1 ---தா2..தா2...
F----F----F--------F--F-----F---F----D#D#---D..---D..

ஓ --டும் -ந தி --க ளும் --எ -னக் --கா --க...
ஸ்..ஸ் --ஸ்ஸ் ஸ் ஸ் ----நி1நி1 ---தா2..தா2...
F..--F------F--F----F---F-------D#D#----D..--D..

ம -லர் -கள் --ம--லர் வ --தும் -எனக் --கா க ---அன் னை
நி1 நி1 --நி1 ---நி1 நி1 -நி1 -நி1 ---த1த1.. -பா..பா---ப ---ம2
D#-D#--D#----D# D#--D#--D#---C#C#--C..-C..---C-----B

ம டி -யை ---வி ரித் தாள் --எனக் -கா -க
ப த1 -பம2 ---ப -த1 -பம1 ---க1ம1 -கா1 ஸ
C C#--CB-----C-C#--CA#----G#A#--G#.. F..

Note : ஸ்வரத்தை தொடர்ந்து ".." என இரு புள்ளிகள் இருந்தால் அந்த ஸ்வரத்தின் கால அளவை (மாத்திரையை) நீட்டி பாடவும்.

மூன்றாவது வரியிலிருந்து தான் Basic Scale-க்கு சொந்தமான "த1" தலைக்காட்டி இருக்கிறது!... அதற்குள் முதல் இரண்டு வரிகள் கொடுத்துவிட்ட ஒரு Grand Joyous Illusion, மற்றும் பாடலின் Grand Rhythm and orchestration-இல் கேட்பவர் செவியும் மனமும் ஒன்றிவிட "த1" தன்னுடைய அடிப்படை "Feel"-ஐ ப்ரதிபலிக்க இயலாமல் போயிருக்கிறது!!!...

என் வரிகளை நம்ப முடியாதவர்கள் முதல் வரியில், "தா2"-க்கு பதிலாக இந்த Basic Scale-க்கு சொந்தமான "தா1"-ஐ subsititute செய்துப் பாடிப்பார்த்து உண்மையை உணர்ந்து கொள்ளலாம்... அவ்வாறு செய்தால் இந்த பாடல் "ஆராரோ பாட வந்தேனே" என்ற இளையராஜாவின் பாடலைப் போன்ற ஒரு சோகத்தை தருவதை காணலாம்.

மேற்சொன்னது மட்டுமில்லாமல், சுத்த மத்யமம் (ம1), ப்ரதி மத்யமம் (ம2), மற்றும் எந்த விதத்திலும் தொடர்பற்ற "நி2" (E), ஆகிய அனைத்து ஸ்வரங்களும் இந்த பாடலில் தலைக்காட்டி இருக்கின்றன!... இவரிடமிருந்து இந்த பாடலில் தப்பித்து இருப்பது "க2" (A), மற்றும் "ரி1" (F#) இவை மட்டும்தான்!... இசையமைக்க இவருக்கு மொத்தமுள்ள பன்னிரண்டு ஸ்வரங்களில் (Keyboard-ன் Distribution-படி) பத்து ஸ்வரங்கள் தேவைப்பட்டிருக்கின்றன. சங்கீத இலக்கணப்படி இந்த ராகத்துக்கு 'அபஸ்வரங்கள்' என ஒலிக்க வேண்டிய ஸ்வரங்கள் எல்லாமே இந்த பாடலில் 'சுபஸ்வரங்களாக' ஒலித்திருக்கும் விந்தையை செய்திருக்கிறார் மெல்லிசை மாமன்னர்!... பாடலைக் கேட்கும் எவராலும் இந்த "Deviations-ஐ" சத்தியமாக உணர இயலாது!... ஸ்வரங்களை "Decode" செய்து பார்த்தால் மட்டுமே கண்டுபிடிக்க இயலும்!

கர்நாடக சங்கீத இலக்கணம் வகுத்தது எந்த மஹானுபாவரோ!... இன்று அவர் உயிரோடு இருந்தால் வாயடைத்து போயிருப்பார்!...

உலகிலேயே மிகச் சிறந்த இசை மாமேதை இவர்தான் என்றால் யாரேனும் ஆதாரப்பூர்வமாக மறுக்க இயலுமோ!?...

Note : I apologize for any Technical mistakes found in the above explanations. Would love to stand corrected.

With Love
Ram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS,

Great technical analysis! Truly amazing!
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS,

Superb tech. analysis Very Happy Hats off . You and Sampath are real pillars to this portal. Pl continue with such analysis and enlighten us . Enge nam Sampthji ? Missing for long .

I just have one query which I had mentioned in my posting. The pallavi and charanam all start with high pitch and end with low pitch. Thats another new thing no in this song !

Dear vaidy,

Can you pl find out from the Master as to how this song was created ? Will be a fascinating episode for sure.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Will surely do Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Will surely find out the details of this marvellous composition of our Master. As I am not qualified technically to analyse like the way you all do, let me gather some interesting details of this song. Balaji, NVS, Sampath, Ram, Venkat, Sharadha.... You guys are doing a fabulos job.

Cheers
vaidy
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Nobody could narrate the way you narrate the sequence and song. Always I cherish to read about ur analysis with interest. You take pains to give us the details of the timings after the hero comes and the timing of the prelude and so on. Keep it up. You are King of Narration. No exaggeration at all. I mean it by Heart. Keep it up.

Dear NVS,

Pinnidinga Sir. You are very true in saying that even in bringing the semi tone into the song/ludes, there is no match for the Matchless Sangeetha Vidwan (MSV).
Keep it up.

With regards
Sampat
Ram

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

I read your posting again. It is really an amazing write-up. Your writing is as enthusiastic as the song itself. What a way to narrate the song and the sequence! Hats-off !!!!!

And dear NVS,

A wonderful technical support for our Balaji's narration. Core technical writings from you and our Sampath are lessons for the entire club.

(I guess our Saradha should be on vacation. Expecting her to be back soon, with her BANGS !!!!)

All of your writings are assets to be preserved, cherished and enjoyed!!!

Please continue this noble deed...!

tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: What an analysis !!! Reply with quote

Dear NVS Uncle,
I am just humming the same song since I read your EXTENSIVE ANALYSIS and a BEAUTIFUL DELINEATION of this wonderful creation...In fact, I had to read it thrice to understand better...hehehe Surprised

If only MSV could create such wonders in Music , I would say its only NVS who could give such wonderful write up on His music that even a layman like me could understand .

I take this opportunity to sincerely THANK you on behalf of everybody out here for bringing out such intricacies which showcases our Master's expertise and successful experiments.

I am just wondering how many such WONDERS and SURPRISES are embedded and hidden in His Music that need to be brought to limelight. This could be only be done by people like NVS uncle, Sampath uncle , Ram and all the others who deal with His music technicallly.

But am pretty much sure that there will be many more wonders and surprises that are hidden in this song !!!!!! It is really endless and matchless !!!!

I would like to reiterate something that I always question and wonder myself which am pretty sure would have been in everyone's thoughts...

I am just trying to put myself in a state where in I dont get to hear MSV's music .... I would have probably ended up with old Hindi music thinking that for Music ...GOSH....I thank God for making me realise this eternity !!

MSV Rules !!!
Venky
Ram

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What an analysis !!! Reply with quote

tvvraghavan wrote:
am pretty much sure that there will be many more wonders and surprises that are hidden in this song !!!!!! It is really endless and matchless !!!!

Venky, "endless" is the perfect word you had quoted!!!

tvvraghavan wrote:
I am just trying to put myself in a state where in I dont get to hear MSV's music .... I would have probably ended up with old Hindi music thinking that for Music ...GOSH....I thank God for making me realise this eternity !!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: