"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alaap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
Two songs that were sung by VJ, namely, 'Kumkuma kolangal' from Annan oru kovil, and 'Engiruntho oru kural' from Avan thaan manithan sound almost similar in their alaaps. They evoke two diametrically opposite moods with subtle touches by the master. The alaaps are crystal clear in VJ's voice, and both are rich in Mr. Prasad's tabla, apart from the simple and effective orchestration. While one invokes fear, the other infuses hope and joy, bordering some melancholy. The respective alaaps very beautifully convey these feelings, and, once again, stand testimony to the natural genius eloquently! Mellisai Maamannar!!
Thanks.
Sai Saravanan
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even while typing the word Nenjam marappadhillai, I get some discomfort and feel of sadness !

The prelude of P.Susheela , a very lengthy and also immediately repeated with a mild improvisation ...with a touch of shivering .......

Will this also form part of this thread ?
gragavan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr.Shankar and Mr.Sivasankaran for your encouraging words.

Currently I am searching the songs composed by Mellisai Mannar in other languages. It is a difficult journey. But trying my best.

I will share whatever I get.

regards,
GiRa
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mr.Balaji!
It is a landmark melody, truly timeless and ageless. In fact, I was pondering over the song 'Venn meghame' by SJ in Aayiram Jenmangal and was thinking of bringing in the connection with this evergreen 'Nenjam marappadhillai' song. Mellisai Maamannar had once mentioned about a request from someone (director or producer..?) to bring out another melody on the lines of 'Nenjam marappadhilai' to showcase the mystery element. Very rightly mentioned by you, the alaap of the first one is just supreme, and such an alaap with elements of mystery and longing can never be made again. Only the master could revisit and bring back the old memories when he tuned the SJ song. Of course, the embellishments were limited in the SJ song and more to suit the eerie element for the movie. But, the one and only 'Nenjam marapadhillai' with its unique alaap still stands out in the minds of one and all.
Sai Saravanan
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

உங்கள் தேர்வுடன் எனது தேர்வு
வாணியின் பொங்கும் கடலோசை (மீனவநண்பன் )
நாதமெனும் கோவிலிலே (மன்மதலீலை)
எங்கிருந்தோ ஒரு குரல் -(அவன்தான் மனிதன்)

டி எம் எஸ் மற்றும் லீலாவின் தாழையாம் பூ முடிச்சு (பாகப்பிரிவினை)

மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் தனித்துவக்குரலில் டிவி யில் கங்கா யமுனா சரஸ்வதி
நித்தம் நித்தம் என் நெஞ்சோடு (கூட்டுப்புழுக்கள் )

மற்றும் பல
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alaap in 'Thaazhayam poo' is one of its kind, where our MM so effortlessly brought out a glimpse of 'folk' singing, even in those days. I believe the alaap is sung by our master himself (?). The alaap sets the actual pace and mood of this song, and till this day, there is no other with such a feel evoking the innocence of the villages. Excellent choice, sir!

Is the song composed in Maand?

Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another dramatic, but of a different feel, is the alaap by SPB for the song 'Padhutthaal purandaal'. This showcases the excellent capabilities of SPB as a singer, capable of delivering songs of any genre. He easily melts into the song, eloquent in his changeover from singing to whispering to laughing mischievously,...all within the span of this short alaap! The manner in which he effortlessly shifts into the main song speaks of the imagination of MM. The progress of the song, of course, merits much more discussion. How did he compose such songs!
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaap in the form of a choir-like chorus!

Who could think of such an innovation! I cannot think of anyone even dreaming an idea like this! Look at the song 'Vanakkam palamurai sonnen'....It starts with the choir-like chorus and leads us to PS's next section of the alaap flowing in and blending with the song. Beautiful imagination by our MM. The story in the song, as has been very nicely discussed by our friends in this forum in other sections, probably gets its strength with this combo of an alaap. Never ever such an alaap was created in our film songs like this! Great!!
Sai Saravanan
gragavan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

மெல்லிசை மன்னர் இசைப் புதிருக்காக நான் பாடல் துணுக்குகளை நறுக்கும் போது எத்தனை விதமான ஆலாபனைகளை மெல்லிசை மன்னர் பயன்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார் என்று அறிந்து வியந்தேன். அவருடைய இசையில் பாடி ஆலாபனை பாடாத பாடகர்களே இல்லை என்று அடித்துச் சொல்லலாம்.

கஸ்தூரி மான்குட்டியாம் பாடலில் சித்ரா ஆலாபனைத் தொடங்க அதை ஜெயச்சந்திரன் முடித்து வைக்கும் அழகை என்ன சொல்வது!

இது போல எத்தனையெத்தனையோ முத்துகள்.

அன்புடன்,
ஜிரா
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have mentioned another beautiful song with alaap, Mr. Raghavan. As mentioned by you, it was similarly when I was trying to understand some of the compositions of MM that I found the variety in the types/styles of alaap that he has created. Innumerable!! Many were/are unusual, but naturally flowing alaaps, suiting the scenario! Amazing creations! Unimaginable short bursts of splendour and colour! What impact these have on our soul!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR SARVANAN,

Paduthal purandhal from Vandikaran magan is a great song. Virutham followed by a hearty laugh and the effortless shift to the main song is another masterly work from Shri MSV. Spb has always flourished under MM.

Would like to share that i had the privelage to see the recording of the song which was telecasted by Doordharshan. The telecast happened sometime during the release of the movie. The movie got released in the year 1978. It was wonderfull to see the MM working and my love for his great works got further strengthened.

I frevently hope that DD Madras has in its library and i appeal through this forum that any one having connection with doordharsan should try to get the copy. I shall also try my very best to get the same.

V Sivasankaran
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gragavan wrote:
மெல்லிசை மன்னர் இசைப் புதிருக்காக நான் பாடல் துணுக்குகளை நறுக்கும் போது எத்தனை விதமான ஆலாபனைகளை மெல்லிசை மன்னர் பயன்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார் என்று அறிந்து வியந்தேன். அவருடைய இசையில் பாடி ஆலாபனை பாடாத பாடகர்களே இல்லை என்று அடித்துச் சொல்லலாம்.

கஸ்தூரி மான்குட்டியாம் பாடலில் சித்ரா ஆலாபனைத் தொடங்க அதை ஜெயச்சந்திரன் முடித்து வைக்கும் அழகை என்ன சொல்வது!

இது போல எத்தனையெத்தனையோ முத்துகள்.

அன்புடன்,
ஜிரா

DEAR GiRa i have noticed you go for unusual numbers of MSV . its welcome aspect of youngeters like you to go for different compositions from Mellisai mannar rather than the off beat songs . i know u were after of vadamalai , mangalavathiyam etc ,

you would be too happy to listen to songs from vanakkathirkuriya kathaliye,orey Vaanam orey bhoomi, savithri (mazhaikaalamum panikkaalamum by VJ and PJ
i am sure that you would take these beauties further
i prey god you develop this interest with many more sooner with all your efforts

all the best
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sivsankaran Sir,
We would be eager to know more about your presence during the recording of 'Padutthaal purandaal'. Please let us know details about the recording, and the rehearsals. The alaap of this song is really unusual, hence, I made a mention.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the song 'Vellikkinnamthaan', MM uses another unusual alaap style. The singing gains momentum with the chanting-like alaap by TMS, only to be joined by PS in a true alaap fashion as the song takes off! Lovely piece, unimaginable! And, PS's singing continues throughout in the same alaap style till the finish! Excellent!
Sai Saravanan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Preludes and interludes Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Sai Saravanan,
While referring to 'veLLikkiNNanthAn' , you have touched upon the Aalap pattern in this song. But to me, the song has been an Enigma of sorts. Yes, the two singers [TMS PS] seem to operate at tandem through best part of the song before a union for closure.
But, it is physically intimidating if someone were to stand by your side and keep letting out aalap incessant even while you are keeping pace with the lyric phrase and speed.

It is equally hard on the aalap singer not to get sucked into the lyrical whirlpool so swiftly operating inches away.

Unless the singers are absolutely dedicated [with a stand offish detachment to what is happening around] chances are huge enough to land both of them in a mess. But, the way the song progresses, it reveals to have been done in a stretch.

Not to speak of the swift drum and the proverbial MSV bongo racing through the song as if in a dedication 'don't disturb me' until I am through.

It is quite amazing that manual dexterity and absolute precision in timing of beats and the ever-changing pace of the tune are something that MSV has handled with aplomb , song after song, year after year for decades .

MSV by any standards is a doyen of innovation and perfection rolled into one. Hats off to him-- the true creator.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: