"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alaap
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Alaap Reply with quote

“No nightingale did ever chaunt
More welcome notes to weary bands
Of travellers in some shady haunt,
.........................................................” - William Wordsworth

The alaap, sung normally at the start of a classical song in a concert, more often to set the tone and mood, was carried into TFM as a tradition in the early periods of TFM. Even the fifties and sixties did employ them in many movies, and many scenes demanded them or plainly sometimes to keep and honour traditions. Our master did handle many songs with the traditional type of alaap in his early years, but left them soon to introduce or create new styles. One aspect was prompted by the conversions of many dramas into movies; but there were so many new styles that were brought in by him in such a subtler manner that we were quietly mesmerised into believing this to be part of his style.

The tradition-based ones did follow in landmark songs like 'Senthamizh then mozhiyaal', 'thanga ratham' and 'nallathor veenai seithu'.

The dramatic ones were many in the early years, but slowly dwindled. One could relate to a stage show when TMS sang 'Madana maaligaiyil' at the start of the song, which actually was a modern beauty, not drama-type at all! (MM had some nice incidents to narrate, of course, on the tuning of this song on many occasions.)

The dance-type alaaps like 'Ninnaye rathi endru' were not so frequent.

The other uncategorised ones were many varieties, so many types to suit the scenes and singers and actors. To state a few, to start a discussion on such beautiful innovations of our master, could be 'poomaalayil', 'iniyavale endru', 'oru naalile', ....

There could be more structured types that I might have missed or not known to me.

Stalwarts and experts in our forum (like Murali sir, Professor, and many others) will know the classical grammar to this and with a fond hope to listen and discuss and learn more from them,

With thanks and regards,
Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, one of the most astonishing aalaaps is the incredibly short aalaap of 'orey paadal unnai azhaikkum' (engirundho vandhaal)
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
Very short alaap, yet with so much impact on us when we listen to this song! Innovation from the master, naturally befitting the demanding scene...only he can think of such sweet wonders. We are straightaway led into the mood of the song.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The composition of alaap of 'Isai kettaal', sung by TMS little sonorously, but sweetly and softly, will never ever be bettered by any other song in Kalyani (hope I am right?) by any other music director! It sounds natural for the scene, probably with Tansen-based drama background, and compels one to believe that the song is real from that era. The alaap so crisp and soul-touching, who else can create this, but our master alone!
Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another kind of amazing alaap we often come across in MSV's songs is the one which comes in the background. Probably, the first time I observed this was the ending pallavi in 'paattukkup paatteduththu' (padagotti). We can hear a humming in the background in a different tune. Perhaps this is something like a counter melody. But I was stunned to hear this even as a boy of 12 or 13. Every time I hear this song, I find it an amazing experience. It is as if we are being pulled in two different directions even as the pleasant experience of listening to the song is about to come to an end.

Another song in which I have observed this is 'engalukkum kaalam varum' (paasa malar). In this song, a humming comes in chorus behind 'thandhanaththana thaane..' I think this kind of alaap or humming or whatever you may call it occurs in many other songs. I think that this bears a unique stamp of MSV. Perhaps this is an area that requires a detailed analysis by people with the knowledge about the structure of music. As a layman, I can only express my awe about these kinds of alaaps.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai Sir,

Very interesting topic !

May we consider Yaar Yaar yaar avar yaaro prelude also here ?

That was a splendid high pitch one from PS with typical MSV vibrations and a gentle complement from PBS at the end .

Coming to Isai kettal puvi , you will realise that the alaap of TMS which is Kalyani raga base will actually like a Hindustani type Idea reason being the dream song is for Tansen character trying to bring life to a sick woman and a thoughtful MSV has experimented this no !

Even Sirippil undaagum raagathile may qualify here I think
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sirs,
Your mention of 'counter melody' was beautiful! It might have been situation-demanding idea, but the imaginative weaving of the melody into the song is definitely bearing the stamp of our master.
While there have been varieties of alaap that have been introduced by him, each type is unique in itself. Just flashing across my mind is the TMS's song 'Nallavar kurallukku mathipirukkum'. Look at the dramatic manner TMS is made to reflect the mood in this alaap, like Shivaji's personality, background storyline, etc. Amazing beauty!
Sai Saravanan
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Saravanan,

I love the crispy alaap in avan ninathana adhu nadakamendru. Shri Msv uses the alaap effectively to convey the mood. In the song Avan ninathanna allap will convey the somber mood of the Hero.

V Sivasankaran
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice of aalab is from the song 'ulagin mudalisai' from Thava Pudalvan.

The reason I am telling is that in just 11 seconds he establishes the full colour of Sri Raaga. I remember when during a discussion Vatsan doubted whether it is Madhyamavadhy because there is only one note that makes these two ragas different. And that too the note sudha gandharam G1 that is differs from Madhyamavathi is not on the ascendance but only at descendance
And these minute thinks this person has shown in just 11 seconds. He is glorified for light music but see how he has shown in Carnatic music where is he is not rated that better compared to others.
gragavan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of songs where I enjoyed Aalapanai composed by MSV. How to select one song!

The first song comes to my mind immediately is "Yezhu Swarangalukul Ethanai Paadal".

Classical song in cinema.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, songs with a crisp alaap of our master always stand apart in all respects. Be it conveying a mood, raaga, or whatever, it has been unique.

Classically, again, it has been a small revolution of sorts to conjure up alaaps of such short duration, as pointed out by Murali Sir! Short, yet, conveying it with right grammar, of course, it must have flown in naturally! I really do not know how 'long' or 'short' is the alaap of 'Ezhu swarangalukkul'. But, the effect is grand!

When SPB renders 'Nallathor veenai seithe' in Varumayin niram sivappu, it is not just exquisitely tuned, but straight and short, with the desired impact in our hearts.

Sai Saravanan
Venkat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opening alaap in Raagangal 16 will be very nice.

There is one malayalam song in the movie Chandrakantam (released in 1974). Two versions are there. 1 by Yesudoss and the other by Janaki.
Beginning-la vara aalapanai will be very excellent.
This song will take place very often in Malayalam Super Singer programmes.
Venkat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly the above mentioned malayalam song resembles the song "Madurayil parantha meen kodi.." from Poova thalaya...

Infact there should be a separate thread for Malayalam songs of our Master.
gragavan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venkat wrote:
Interestingly the above mentioned malayalam song resembles the song "Madurayil parantha meen kodi.." from Poova thalaya...

Infact there should be a separate thread for Malayalam songs of our Master.

Venkat, I think you are taking about Aa Nimishathinte Nirvrithiyil song

http://youtu.be/K2UKT8naCkk

I like SJ version. The alap and emotions are much more appealing in SJ version. SJ has done a wonderful value addition.

My pick of the album is Rajeeva Nayane Neeyurangu by Jeyachandran

http://youtu.be/58KpKl7cpVM

regards,
GiRa
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Mahesh & Raghavan,

Milllon thanks MR Mahesh for the sj number.Thanks for the link MR. Raghavan. Soothing melody and the closing flute peice is haunting. This will certainly come in the list of best 10 sj songs.

Raghavan; Your effort to unearth the works shri MSV in other languages is working wonders.

V Sivasankaran
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: