"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unforgettable Compositions of MSV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragasuda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mannavan vandhanadi ....... Once Mr.Madurai T.N.Mani when he met the great G.Ramanathan, he had expressed his feeling that Sindhanai sei maname probably is the ultimate in Kalyani...

to this, GR countered immediately that Mannavan vandhanadi , according to him ranks better !! Reason could be that the song has Jathi, swara play, a wholesome package .....

Mannavan Vandhanadi - Thiruvarutchelvar - Year 1967

G R died in 1963.

How is it possible?
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Rare songs of MSV Reply with quote

Dear Ragasudha,

Your observations on "mannavan vandhAnadee" and "responses of GR" are valid since long before the song appeared, GR had demised. Sometimes, some comperes and reporters say things different from facts. To draw a reference, in one of the recent postings Shri.VenuSounder has provided a link to actor Mayilsami's reference to songs of Ulagam Sutrum Valiban; he narrates that after the movie distributors praised the compositions; MGR copiously rewarded MSV with money pulled out of gunny bag running to levels far above the 'normal' payment to MSV.

In this episode, I do not intend casting aspersions on anyone.Obviously, Mr.Mayilsami has heard this incident as a reference to MGR's broadminded attitude to Technicians.

What many of us have heard is, MGR gave 'half-hearted' approval to USV compositions by MSV. In my humble opinion, Shri MSV ought to have been rewarded for the marathon efforts of his in delivering 10 vibrant songs in equal number of days, specially orchestrated to suit just the hearsay names of Singapore, Thailand and Japan, with no reference to the story- line at all. In fact, the movie was taken to a shape by editing and the shots were heavily hinging on songs.

The movie had a huge impact at the box office. At one stage, MGR had to invite MSV and request him to accept payment. MSV's information was, he did not collect his money merely because MGR never wholeheartedly appreciated the effort on the surmise that full scale appreciation would dampen the urge for MSV to do better.

This is how many incidents get twisted out of shape and context purely on the 'hearsay' versions much like "KaNNE kalaimAnE' being referred to as KD's last piece.

It certainly hurts when humble people like MSV are deliberately side-lined. My observation is 'we need not take these utterances seriously, so long as we are aware of the truth; but let us educate our youngsters through private conversations'.

Thanks for the opportunity.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now time to listen to TMS. Please listen to two versions of அன்பே அமுதா from the movie அமுதா. How superbly MSV has composed these numbers. Simply great. Listen to the fantastic Shehnai pieces in the sad version. MSV ஒரு இசை சுரங்கம், தோண்டத் தோண்ட அமுது ஊட்ராக வந்து கொண்டே இருக்கும். Let's watch, listen & enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNuQpcHhaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8bkIHWpd4

Regards,
Venu Soundar
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS,

I said I have "felt" Vetkamaay irukkathadi more enjoyable than Mannavan vandhaanadi. It is my own feeling. Our enjoyment of a song does not depend on its structure and contents and is subjective. Perhaps the fast pace and crispness of Vetkamaayirukkuthadi makes it more enjoyable to a person like me not well versed in nuances of Carnatic musics.

Incidentally, you have mentioned that Amudhum Thenum is in Kalyani. I have heard people saying that this song was set in Mohanam.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parthavi wrote:

Incidentally, you have mentioned that Amudhum Thenum is in Kalyani. I have heard people saying that this song was set in Mohanam.

Sir,

Amudhum thenum is predominantly Mohanam but there are instances where Nishadham is present :

Nee aruginil irukkayile - Here the Nee is Nishadham. There will be heavy gamakam here with the ending at Nishadham

Nizhalo un vadhanam - Again the Nizhalo is Nishadham

Nilai kannadiyo minnum kannam - The N part again touches Nishadham

The beauty is that somehow wherever Ni alphabet comes, the Nishadham has been applied by KVM !

However, I couldnt hear Madhayamam which is the 4th swara for Kalyani , hence cannot conclude that its Kalyani ....

Another great song by KVM ![/b]
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MR. Pathavi,

I also enjoy Vetkammai irukuthadi more than Mannavan vanthandi. Versatile Mandolin Raju did a commendable work in the song. Acting of sowcar in the song needs to be mentioned. sheer joy in her face as she watches her daughters performing is worth watching.

V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to composing a song in two versions - happy & sad - MSV always excels more in the sad version. Unfortunately, majority of his sad version songs are never played in Radio or TV, as is the case with அமைதியான நதியினிலே ஓடம் from ஆண்டவன் கட்டளை . You can watch the happy version almost everyday on TV, in some channel or the other, but never get to hear or see தென்னை இளங்கீற்றினிலே. Look at the awesome usage of violins and trambones. Also, superb singing by TMS & Suseela. I love listening to this song again and again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgnPsIqMq5w

Regards,
Venu Soundar
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: 'amaidhiyAna nadhiyinilEOdum' Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
The song 'amaidhiyA nadhiyinilE' from "ANdavan kattaLai" has several dimensions in terms of lyric, structuring, introducing of singers, the proverbial MSV flute mesmerism and choice of instrument. Look at the way the song has been composed.
As for structuring it is TMS who opens on a mellowed note and scales up to an octave typical of his calibre. Yes, look at how he pulls off the lyric line
'Aatrankarai mEttinilE ..ae ae ae ae' and plummets down at
'aadi nirkum nANal adhu'

Where as PS comes much later and with a bang of humming and lyrical phrase

'nANalilE kAl eduththu nadandhu vandha peNmai idhu'
naNam ennum menmaiyilE thottil kattum ........... and at the repeat
'thottil' is perfectly spaced as 'thot .... til kattum infusing a brilliant modification, lest it should have been a mere lyric frame.

Needless to state that it is MSV who stands in grand majesty through this song.
Also, the song is served on a platter with the strumming of Santoor [MS Raju?] at the very opening, which musically interprets the sweeping of water by the flat end of ore,suggesting the ambience of the song. Also, through all ludes, the lyric, the orchestral pieces and singing shared between singers until coming together for closure stand testimony to MSV's conceptual grip over what he draws out of a lyric. No doubt it stays with vigour and captivating arrangement mesmerising us even after decades [1963 or so].

Thanks for the opportunity.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

அமைதியான நாதிகளிலே ஓடம்,பதிவு எனது பள்ளிக்கால நினைவுகளை , திரும்பவும் கொண்டுவருகிறது
இந்த பாடலும் ,பொன்நெழில் பூத்தது என்னை கேட்கும் இடத்திலேயே கட்டிபோடும் . இதனால் ஆசிரியரிடம் பாடம் கற்பது தனி (தமிழ் ஆசிரியர் தவிர அவர் ஒரு கண்ணதாசன் பித்தர் .எனவே அவரிடம் மட்டும் உண்மை சொல்வேன் . இந்த பாடல் மற்றும் பல கண்ணதாசன் பாடல்களுக்கு அர்த்தம் சொல்லித்தந்தது அவர் தான் ).இது எனது கல்லூரி நாட்கள் வரை வழக்கமான நிகழ்வு .அதுவும் எனது காதல் குரல் (p s மன்னிப்பாராக) பாடலின் பின் சரணங்களில் சேரும் போது நான் நெகிந்து போவேன் , இதில் வரும் புல்லாங்குழல் ,வயலின் எம் எஸ் வீ க்கே உரித்தான பிரயோகம் . மனத்தை வருடம் இப்பாடல் எல்லா அம்சங்களும் சரியான விகிதத்தில் அமைத்தது
பாட்டின் முகப்பிசை ,ட்ரைன் பாலத்தை கடக்கும் வரை ஒலிக்கும் ,பிறகு வருவதாக இல்லை . இதுதான் TEAM WORK க்கா ? அதற்கு பிறகு வயலின்கள் ,மற்றும் புல்லாங்குழல் உங்களை எங்கோ எடுத்துப்போகும் . பாடலின் சிறப்பு எடுத்துரைக்க வல்லுநர்கள் இருப்பதால் ,நான் அது எனக்கு கொண்டுவந்த அனுபவத்தை பதிவு செய்யவே இந்த பதிவு
நடிகர் திலகத்தின் துடுப்பு அவருடைய திறமையை எவ்வளவு அழகு .ஜெமினீ தவிர மற்றவர்களிடம் பார்க்கமுடையது
. சிறுவயதில் கட்டிபோட்ட இப்பாடல் , இப்போது கேட்கும்போது மனத்தை ,மிகவும் வேதனைப்படுத்துகிறது
இந்த அமரபாடலை கொடுத்தவர்களில் ராமமூர்த்தி ,TMS, கவியரசு , நம்மிடயே இல்லை . அதுவும் கவியரசர், தன்னையும் ,தன் உயிர் நண்பனை கொண்டாடும் இவ்வேளையில் இல்லயே

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example for MSV excelling more in the sad version is the song "Indha Manrathil Odi Varum" from "Policekaran Magal". For a change, instead of providing the original song to you, I am presenting this song sung by my daughter Mathangi in Super Singer-3. She has done the happy version also and at the end has performed a mimicry. I would request you to please watch, listen and let me have your frank comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awAuBsEJcp4

Thanks & Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please listen to two incredible compositions of our Master for the movie அன்னையும் பிதாவும் - (1) மோதிரம் போட்டது போலொரு நாடகம், and (2) மலரும் மங்கையும் ஒரு ஜாதி. See how melodious and totally different the two songs are. Only MSV can create such magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x39XA13Bk3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zutwx7oWk9E

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today being Rajinikanth's birthday, let's listen to a superb composition of Mellisai Mannar composed for Rajni's movie பொல்லாதவன். The song is நானே என்றும் ராஜா sung by SPB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7rqXdC3r4c

Regards,
Venu Soundar
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Amaithiyana nathiyinile oodam & boat songs Reply with quote

S.R. SHANKAR wrote:
Dear VK

I would just cite three songs Amaithiyana nathiyinile, odam kadal odam athu sollum kathaiyenna[Kanmani raja]Pattuku patteduthu[Padagotti] MSV does magic with just one instrument--Flute. The listener feels as if he sails in a boat along with the actors on the screen say in the falls of Hogenakkal or Lakes of Moonar or with the streamline flow of riverThamirabarani in Papanasam----How could he do with just one wind instrument--Peerless creativity
VK,Your whole writing rekindled many sweet memories--I have echoed only a couple of them--Thanks for the posting

Cordially yours
SRS

dear SRS

THANK YOU . all 3 songs that you mentioned are close to my(*anyone;s) heart .flute in MSV is ultimate .like you said Radio ceylon , i was told did a research to pick up songs to play at right time . so if you rewind your memories ,pongum poongunal ,iravin madiyil used to have these with a lot of flute in them taking you to dizzy heights . unfortunately now a days radio stations donot care for listeners hearing pleasure ,with YAAZH sudhakar being an exception .
yamunaa nathi inge , katodu kuzhlada ,chittukurivi muthankoduthu (its initial bit before song staers)aarodum mannil inge .to name a few .
if you hear them situationa are different , actors are different one constant factor is melody ...mesmerising melody .
they more i listen , more i love this genius un comparable to any one in field of film music
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venugopalan Soundararajan wrote:
Today being Rajinikanth's birthday, let's listen to a superb composition of Mellisai Mannar composed for Rajni's movie பொல்லாதவன். The song is நானே என்றும் ராஜா sung by SPB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7rqXdC3r4c

Regards,
Venu Soundar

dear venu
its one of the songs which was very popular in addition to naan Pollathavan ,atho vaarandi vaarandi
if you have noticed like MSV invented" Thullal "type of songs For MGR ,he created trend of fast beats for Rajini -from MAnavinaygal yarudano, my name is Billa,vethalaiye potendi ,pollathavan shankar saleem simonetc . the same trend is well follwed by deva and later ARR . so trend setter again is MSV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please listen to an amazing number சுதந்திர பூமியில் பல வகை ஜனங்களும் தோட்டத்தில் மலர்ந்த மலர்கள் from the movie தர்மம் எங்கே. What a composition by MSV, what a lyric by Kavingnar Kannadasan and what a singing by TMS? Look at the usage of Moresing in the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfSZQns0zgE

Regards,
Venu Soundar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: