"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THIRAI ISAI CHACRAVARTHY AWARD -A REQUEST TO CM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parthavi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that MSV's fans are mostly passive. In fact they can't be really called fans (which is derived from the word 'fanatic') because they don't have the vibrant energy so characteristic of fans. They will listen to MSV's music and enjoy it if they happen to hear it but will not aggressively go for the songs. Only a small proportion of them do this and some of them are in this group and many more outside.

When we organize free music programs, only a limited number of people attend them. But high priced tickets are sold like hot cakes for other kinds of music programs. PR, as pointed out by Mr. Murali, may be one of the reasons.

MSV times has contributed a lot to creating at least some recognition to this unsung genius and as an ardent fan of MSV who had been silently crying for the past many years over this divine composer having not got the recognition due to him, will always be grateful to the core group that has created this site so thoughtfully.

I agree with Mr. Murali that we should focus on making this site more vibrant, attractive and popular so that it will attract new people especially from the younger generation.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: How to Register Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Rangaswami,
There are quite a few disadvantages of being born in a period. MSV and his fans are shining examples of the statement. As Mr.Venu has pointed out, movie songs were a 'forbidden thing' in most house holds and visit to movie houses was a curbed event for boys and girls till the late seventies [except under adult supervision / accompaniment]
Gramophone was a luxury and gramophone records -extravaganza. Despite these severe ties , boys and girls have nurtured MSV gloriously in their hearts close to their very parents. Constrained by all limitations including that of money the then youth cultivated staunch memory of lyric, tune, sequence of instruments /nuances of subtle variation in note /percussion almost as encrypted records in mind!
With personal repertoire of songs in memory they stayed peaceful on the face of adversities and kept praying for the legend's well being. Being of such acumen and intellect, they understood the vagaries of materialism and were silently laughing at the hype in later day moviedom.

They were/are true fans but without the violent display and cacophony typical to 'made-up' audience. Naturally, elite audience cannot be demonstrative however rich they adore the legend. Therefore MSV fans do not take to streets however strong the provocation may be.

Thanks for the opportunity

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: VAAMANA OF QUALITY MUSIC!!! Reply with quote

Dear All,

I appreciate each one of you for your emotional outbursts. As most of you have pointed out, quality music has completely given way to cacophony these days. It was with the onset of IR in 1977, that marketing took precedence over music. The golden period that we talk about Tamil Film Music which (predominantly) solely belonged to MSV-TKR duo never witnessed this kind of huge expenditure to promote music. It was rasikas like us who have been die-hard devotees of Shri. MSV continue our patronage as of today and I am sure many of us have spent a lot of money / time acquiring these rarest of rare collections.

With total deterioration in music as well as ethics, days ahead are going to be even more painful. But remember, it will be only MSV's creations that will bail us all out from that agony.......Sudha Raghunathan is no authority to pass a judgement on film songs as her Guru, the Legendary MLV herself had sung an all great "Ezhayin Kovilai Naadinen" along with late G.K. Venkatesh, a song that I reckon as one of the greatest of fusion music created in the 50s itself by Shri. MSV. It is a pity that the new generation of singers don't even know how to classify except taking shelter under MGR, Shivaji or IR songs..... Don't you all understand the compulsions behind this.........Ivargal pizhaippu oduvatharku enna vendumaanaalum pesuvaargal, intha kaalathu so called gnnanigal......

Shri. MSV is nothing but the re-incarnation of Vaamana and if music has to be measured....then the 4th step will be on all the heads of these self proclaimed greats......... of the present era......

CHEERS

MSV IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Noted all the posts and various views. First of all I never said that we should do PR for the sake of any award. That is a different game and we have little control over it.

What I am referring to is propagating the inner values of MSV's music to the world at large. I also accept Professor's view that the days when MSV was ruling, cinema itself was an untouchable thing.

But having said that, who stops us doing now? In fact this is the right time to do it as we all have remembered his nuances in the song making. But can we say that our site is read and seen by youngsters today? I doubt. Young generation remember his songs but not his name. I can give a classic example. My son is an ARR fan. Once he was hearing the song 'Bharathi kannamma' and said it is a nice composition by Ilayaraja!!!
This is the result of PR. I asked him why he thought it was of Ilayaraja. He said since IR has been talked much in the media apart from ARR, he thought any good song other than ARR(which he surely knows of) would be from IR.If such is the case is prevailing in my house then how it could be outside. This is the power of PR.

I am not telling that MSV fans should get on streets like a typical fanatic.

What I am trying to say is that we have to find out the ways and means as to how to penetrate the information flow towards the youth who extensively use the internet today. Take for example Airtel Super Singer 'Pragati' who posted a photograph in the Face book which she took with MSV when he attended the programme. If we have some method we could have introduced msvtimes which would have ensured atleast 15000 of her group to have known about msvtimes.com. Whether they read it or not which we cannot control.

Forget about ARR/Harris who have to stage a promo for the audio release for every movie because it is their carrier at stake. I am not telling to do like that. But just see how Promo is done for Ilayaraja.

Ever since he lost out to ARR, there has been a consistent and vigorous PR work by him. There are videos in you tube which narrates how he composed the song 'kanmani anbodu kadalan' from Guna. That video is not the original at the time of composition. It was just re enacted with IR and Kamal recently. So this must have surely happened with the active connivance of IR. So also a video about the song 'Katril varum geethame' in which he re enacted that with Vali. His 3 notes composition which he told in his Jaya TV
programme is a big hit in you tube. I am asking why can't we do that kind of promo. I hope in the past six years we have collected so many videos with MSV and some musicians like Thumba Sekar talking about MSV's nuances in the Rhythm making especially about 'minminiyai kanmaniyaai' and 'Velli kinnam than'. What prevents us in uploading those videos with the necessary description about MSV's genius in the rhythm making.
By the way there is a you tube video of 'Yugiyudan Yugiyungal' by Yugi Sethu in which the sons of Vicky Vinayagam are speaking about the genius of IR in rhythm making.

I have few videos of MSV composing a private album 'annai velankanni' which runs totally about 20 minutes which I will upload in the you tube with description. I can also upload the 3 hour video of the programme of 'Nathamennum kovillie' and 'muthu kullikka varegale'.

I also have some anniversary videos in which people like Vani, Tram phone Thomas speaking about MSV. Besides why can't we create some new videos with the existing musicians who can talk about MSV.

There is a you tube link called Maestro IR with BBC. It is nothing but IR explaining about each song in BBC Thamizh. I have MSV's version in the audio format which can be uploaded. All these should have a cross reference of msvtimes.com so that the visitor could see the site.

These are all the activities which are in our control and we need not shell out any money.

So my suggestions are:

Revamp msvtimes so that it works with google chrome, firefox etc

Actively enroll new members with target

Have STP concept. Segmenting, Targeting and Positioning of MSV.

Once you have sizable no. of members, you can command for any future activities.

Make msvtimes interfaced with major websites like you tube, facebook, twitter etc.

N Y Murali

Note: See the power of you tube. The song 'pattum nane' has become popular in Poland.

I just heard from a friend that they have erected a granite slab which is engraved with MSV's name as Isai Chkravarthy near MSV's house. This is also a sort of PR. I am happy with this.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali and friends,
I totally agree with your observation. And also have tried to implement. A page has been created in facebook for msvtimes.com/forum, as "Msvforum" and the link is given below:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Msvforum/450404035002133

You can login with your facebook id and start sharing your mind. And the link has been given to www.msvtimes.com/forum in the page.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
RENGASAMY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: THIRAI ISAI CHACRAVARTHY AWARD -A REQUEST TO CM Reply with quote

Dear All

This is excellent. Let us join all immediately.

Rengasamy

vk1959 wrote:
dear all

i have written earlier that irrespective of whether MM gets padma award or not , we ,his fans should request Tamil nadu government to institute an award in his name as 'THIRAI ISAI CHAKRAVARTHY MELLISAI MANNAR MS VISWANATHAN AWARD , to be presented to the best music director of tamil film ,annually like awards in the name of mgr ,shivaji'

With JJ is keen to do amendments , i suggest ,this is the right time to take up with the Tamil nadu government .
one way all of us send a telegram , individually on a particular day to CM day ,in addition to representation ,

i would like to hear the response from all of you , to go forward
of course i would do keep trying what little i can to gather momentum .

await your response
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali,

I appreciate your views and suggestions. But, at the same time, we should take measures to promote the MSV Times website itself. Even after close to 6 years of coming into existence, many people who are fans of MSV are still not aware of such a website, which I learnt while interacting with them. Once this is done, I am sure there will be many more visitors to the Site as well as contributors to the Forum.

I missed out a few points in my earlier posting in this section. I had mentioned about Radio being the only source of listening to film songs in those days, especially Radio Ceylon, though the audio quality never used to be all that satisfactory. The other major factor was, we were deprived of listening to the entire composition, as the gramophone records came out with edited versions due to time limits. In some of the songs a whole charanam will be missing, e.g. the charanam starting with “unakkoru paadam solla vandhen” in the song “anbulla maan vizhiye”. Similarly in some other songs, an important piece of music will be missing, e.g. the wonderful Shenoy bit in “ponnonru kanden pennangu illay”. For me, the highlight of the song was that shenoy piece.

While talking about Shenoy, I remember an incident in one of the Super Singer-3 (seniors) episodes last year. After a contestant sang an Ilayaraja number (I don’t remember the song) in which there was a shenoy piece, the judge Srinivas was all praise (as usual) for IR’s composition and said it was simply amazing as to how IR has used shenoy in a happy song and only he can do it, etc. I was laughing to myself (I was totally annoyed too). There are so many happy songs where MSV has wonderfully used Shenoy. We have already spoken about “Ponnonru Kanden”. The other songs that readily come to mind are “Vaaraadiruppano Vanna Malar Kannanavan”, “Azhage Vaa Aruge Vaa”, “Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen”, etc. Again, this incident only proves the lack of knowledge on MSV’s compositions among those who are in the music field. What a pity?

At the Jaya TV felicitation, Mr KB said “the Tamil Film Industry feels ashamed as the industry should have arranged for such a felicitation“. Actually speaking, MSV completed 60 years in the film industry in the year 2010 itself, as his first movie was “Genova” for which he had composed music single handedly (“Panam” – year 1952 – was the first film for which he composed music jointly with TKR). As such, a felicitation for MSV should have been held in 2010 itself. OK, even now it is not too late. So what if Jaya TV came out with a felicitation. The Tamil Film Industry can hold another felicitation and honour MSV (of course, along with TKR). But they will never do it, because it is MSV. Thriving for even 16 years in a particular field is a great thing, but MSV has ruled for over 60 years! What an outstanding achievement? But for Jaya TV’s honoring the Legend, this would have definitely gone unnoticed by the Tamil Film Industry. Sad.

Never mind, let's spread the fame of the great MSV through this Forum.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu sir,
I feel the pain with which you have poured out through your fluent writings. On the other hand, the suggestions made by Murali Sir makes one feel positive and the directions have been nicely laid out. Let us hope for more participation, more so from the very senior members who have chosen to be silent. It is great loss for all of us as they have chosen to be so.
Sai Saravanan
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu Sir,

You mentioned that our site is not known to many even after 6 years.

This is exactly what I am also saying that even after 6 years our site is not known to many of the MSV fans leave alone youngsters.

That is the reason I am telling that we need to act.

N Y Murali
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N Y MURALI wrote:
Dear Venu Sir,

You mentioned that our site is not known to many even after 6 years.

This is exactly what I am also saying that even after 6 years our site is not known to many of the MSV fans leave alone youngsters.

That is the reason I am telling that we need to act.

N Y Murali

Dear NYM,

The average age group of MSV fans will be in the range between 50-70 and in my experience, most of these people do not access either websites nor computer savvy ( Let us not go by the members of our website ) . This will be another challenge . However, Raghavendran's initiative to take it to Face book is really appreciable and this should bring more people.

FB seems to be a new attraction to even senior citizens as they are sharing their personal data ( images/ videos ) etc.

One of the reasons why MSVTimes.com did not reach out earlier was that you could not get this link through google search. I had raised this point several times but now a days the link is appearing. However, the articles which are being posted here are not reflecting through google search. For example, you , Ram and others have written so many wonderful articles on the nuances . Ram had written a very lengthy series of MSV speciality on Piano but sadly nothing could be reached out through google search. If someone tries to search piano based composition of MSV ,you will not get anything in google search. How to enable this ???

What a surprise !!! Shocked Very Happy I just got a link in youtube about a japanese movie where they have used MSV-Ilayaraja tunes !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAIUseQypo
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,
I accept that this is a problem. But there are solutions.

1. If a senior person who is not comfortable with computer/internet we can take their mobile number , register them as a MSV fan. This database could be used for sending SMS for informing any programme of MSV's like our Anniversary Programmes.
2. In case they are willing to contribute by writing some artice and wanted to be published we should have volunteers who can create an ID for them and post on their behalf.
3. Encourage Youngsters to sign in to msvtimes. There are youngsters who write in you tube about the old songs.

Yah. I saw the you tube link. Amazing. This is one the proof of the power of you tube.

By the way I am also giving you a you tube link in which a Europian national (German I believe) is appreciating the song 'Malarendra mugam ondru'
His comment

Very nice song, so happy and charming. I don´t understand any word, but this melody makes me happy !

kanal von michaelxmas 1 month ago

http://youtu.be/nUI0w2QXkEg

N Y Murali
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: THE RIGHT THING Reply with quote

Dear All,

As suggested by Murali, Sounder and Ragasudha, it is really high time that our site gets revamped in every sense. Barring a very few, most of the prolific writers have either vanished or living under a self imposed exile!! I am calling upon those who have been contributing their technical might to come back and rejuvenate this site.

I am also pleased to let you all know that I possess some rare of the rarest of MSV moments captured on my video camera that consists of his hilarious moods, his instant composing prowess (almost 100 -150 clippings), some fantastic rehearsal shots of our programme "Vaarthaigal Sollum Vaathiyangal, Sangeetha Saraswathy award programme rehearsals and many more private album productions which the world is yet to see.

I was wondering earlier whether to upload all these as many people scared me with infringing on copy rights issues. Now, I am inclined to believe that these rights have no meaning in our land as it has become a habit for these present era music (programmers!!!) to straight away lift either their own tune or MSV's and tell the world (without any shame) that they toiled to create this song. When this is the level the quality of music has stooped to, I am sure these rarest of videos could well bring in a revolution of sort to say the least... or should I say "solace to the wounded hearts".....

The challenge lying ahead is to make our site more interactive, more user friendly, with more options to play both audio / video without any technical glitches. One of the reasons for people to get annoyed with msvtimes.com is that there has been no update on the use of current generation of software. Time & again it has been brought to the notice of the technical team but it's only been a stoic silence...... This is not a blame game but it is time we buck up and get the site to its feet once again. Many have even opined that any site will be active only for about 5 years and after which they go through a slow death. Lets make msvtimes.com an exception.....

I feel a right amount of infusion in this direction will surely pay rich dividends and there need not be a PR / Marketing exercise as suggested by a few. We have tried knocking on many a door many times but no one comes forward wholeheartedly when it comes to MSV barring a very few who have lent their support for us to conduct the anniversary events. Shri. MSV's creations have literally got infused into our blood stream for many years now and it is impossible for anything to invade this system, let alone creating an impact.

It is absolutely imperative here to say that listening to Shri. MSV's creations itself is an art and not every one is gifted by this virtue. But, for those who are the gifted lot, its only a sheer listening, enjoying times ahead till they breath their last.....

CHEERS

MSV IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends

Uploaded a video of the programme 'MSV 60' conducted by DMS in Kamarajar Arangam in You tube under the title MSV's 60 years of film career celebration. More videos will be uploaded one by one.

Giving below the link :

http://youtu.be/Sn9VNcHWsUg

N Y Murali
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

There are some sites which have been blocked by DOT .

http://www.medianama.com/2012/03/223-list-of-104-music-sites-that-the-indian-music-industry-wants-blocked/

Infact, I used to regularly fight with you for uploading those precious videos Smile

Request our site to be careful in uploading videos as all the hardwork done all these days should not go waste.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji and Mr. Vaidy,
I think this Copy Rights issue comes for the uploading the longs in the site which may result in the monetary loss for the audio companies.
But What Mr. Vaidy is speaking of are the vedios of the moments of MSV about his songs composition. Unless the videos has some portion which can create some controversy, the rest if it is in general about the music can be uploaded since it is our creation.

For instance the programme 'Nadhamenum kovilille' which we conducted explaining the nuances of each song composition is our creation and I hope there can be no copy right issue as we are also not inclined to make any money but to propagate the music work of MSV.

Apart from that the songs which our site has (atleast 500 now) required to be considered whether it involves any copy right issue. I heard that the copy rights has a time limit which is 30 years. Number 2 is that whether it involves any monetary gain.

I think some people who are legally competent can guide us.

In the mean time I have uploaded the video of the song 'Thedinen vandhadhu' which was performed in the MSV 60. Does it have any copy right issue? I think no. But People can suggest.

N Y Murali

Last edited by N Y MURALI on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: