"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bowing out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Bowing out Reply with quote

Dear All Music Lovers,

Since becoming a member of this wonderful website I posted a few topics
but it received lukewarm response from readers/members which demotivated me from placing further postings. I thank all those who have read my postings and to those who responded.

However I will continue to be a member of the website and will read the postings of others and will respond too.

Sorry no more posting from me and I am pretty sure by not posting I
am only the looser.

a disgusted member.
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Raghavan Vasudevan,

I am sorry to read your mail.

There has been a lull in the activity of the forum for quite some time. There is no particular reason for this. This happens sometimes and the activity picks up eventually.

You are not alone in feeling that your postings have been getting a lukewarm response. Very senior and highly respected members like Professor Raman and dedicated contributors like Mr. Sai Saravanan have also been not getting responses to their recent postings.

I have often felt guilty of not responding to several postings including yours. As I said earlier, there is no particular reason why I didn't.

Sometimes I think that the forum reflects MSV's experience. Recently I saw ads for a program on Rafi's songs. The tickets were priced at Rs.250, Rs.500 and Rs.1000. But when we (the dedicated organizers of our forum)
offer a program on MSV's songs free, very few people attend this, in spite of publicity being given. I myself missed this year's (2011) anniversary program. Quality doesn't always get the attention or the appreciation it deserves. Hype scores over real value.

My request to you is to keep posting as long as you enjoy doing it, without bothering about the response. It could be like humming MSV's tunes while being alone. We do it for the sheer pleasure it gives us.

You have mentioned that you will be the only loser by not posting to the forum. You can count me also as loser because I have read and enjoyed all your postings. (I am sure there will be other losers). I particularly admire people like you who have listened to Hindi songs and can make authentic comparisons to demolish the myth that Hindi songs of yester-years are superior to MSV's compositions.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) You can write making comparisons of MSV's music to the music in the Hindi films of the same make. Any authentic comparison will serve as a record for posterity.

2) You can go through some of the earlier postings and add your own observations to the points discussed. This is also likely to elicit a better response.

In any case, be assured that all postings are read by several members. You can look at the number of views in the site itself.

Regards and Good Wishes.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Very sorry to read your anguish. I also echo Mr. Rangaswami and feel the same. Quite a few stalwarts were ruling the scene in our forum when I first came across the website. Due to various official, personal and logistical problems, we feel that many such elders and senior members may have gone into hibernation - only to come back with renewed vigour. Till then let us keep the spirits high and keep admiring the master, as and when possible, as much as possible.
Sai Saravanan
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by N Y MURALI on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your posting with deep sadness and I am able to understand and appreciate your feeling.

To keep writing or just visiting the site in future is your personal decision. I do not want to influence. But at the same time I want to share my experience and feelings I had some time ago which could help you understand.

I am a person who is interested in MSV's Music just not because it fascinates me but also showed that it is very different and unique. Hence my study about his music began some time in the early 80's. The reason for 80's I was in my twenties and hence had maturity. But specific reason to understand his music was the reason that other music works have been talked so great by the people concerned at that time when as per my evaluation was very average. So my burning desire to understand and decode his music go larger.

Thanks to the almighty a person like me who never studied or practiced music was able to compose and release 3 devotional albums with no previous experience of even entering a recording room. Because CREATIVITY DOES NOT COMES FROM KNOWLEDGE. I heard to learn Harmonium (I learnt it for just 3 months) because I can easily forget the creative music that comes on its own to me if I do not record it.

But due to various reasons I could not continue the same but the knowledge of playing that instrument made me turn my attention to study MSV's music not by listening but by actually playing the very melody.

So it is roughly about 25 years when I found the site and you could now imagine how it would have fascinated me. So I started writing articles after articles. But just see what is the response. I also felt the same like you. Plus there are other issues. I wanted this site has to taken to the next level. That is we need to update the site. The site has around 500 songs. There are more than 3000 MSV's Tamil Cine Songs and if you add the private albums plus his other language songs etc it could run in 10000s. As an official website we need it have as much of his collection as possible.

I remember a New Member a few weeks ago asked whether any one has his private album 'pongum poongual' which was released by HMV during 70s.

We all have this in our private collection (I myself have a collection of almost 1800 songs of MSV beginning his 'Pudhe Vasanthamame Vaazhvile' which he composed but released in the name of S M Subbaiah Naidu.

I wanted all this songs, his private albums etc etc to be uploaded in the site so that all can hear and enjoy. The present 500 songs which we have in our site can be played only with Internet explorer and not with google chrome etc.

There were some volunteers who were ready to take the responsibility and I arranged 3 meeting in this regard. But it was a futile exercise. The volunteers who became my good friends are not seen now. They are gone for ever.

See when we get in to the public forum like this we see all kinds of character. All the fingers are not the same. So some could motivate and others could demotivate you.

You could see all kinds of people like people with Ego. people with Knowledge, People with appreciation. people with arrogance, people with
impatience (like me) etc etc etc etc. All these are NEGATIVES.

But only one thing is very POSITIVE. It has given some excellent freinds.
I seldom go to relatives house and I hardly stay there. But msvtimes has given FRIENDS like professor Raman, Ramki etc (the list is large). Professor Raman is 15 years senior to me and hence very uncharacteristic
to have friendship but for MSV and msvtimes.

Recently I had been to Madurai and had stayed in his house for 2 days with my whole Family.

The reason I am giving all these details which could be irrelevant to you is to drive home the point that if it could help you make judgement better.

A pond has all the dirt in the world. But in the middle of the pond you have the lovely LOTUS flower.

It is up to you to use your experience to pluck the LOTUS flower with out getting the dirt on your body.

Finally my experience from this site is that after I entered the site I have learnt a lot in just 4 years more than what I learnt in 25 years. Now you can judge who is loser and who is the gainer.

With Best Regards,

N Y MURALI

Last edited by N Y MURALI on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Raghavan Vasudevan,

In a forum, each one will have their individual experiences.

Let me share my experience with you..

Honestly, I don’t write anything with expectation of a response from anyone. You know why ? Its for my sheer admiration towards MSV since childhood and my awe only goes up everyday as I try to identify the speciality of his compositions, especially the raga element and the different sandhams that he had applied . The innumerable situational songs , the unique orchestration, way ahead of times then , at times simple ( nee varuvaai enna naan irudhen - 80s ) but very stunning ……………the list is endless… so, its pure fascination on MSV that makes me visit here and highlight whatever I have known and make futile attempts to decipher his brand of music which remains a mystery !

Pls don’t expect any response but continue to express about your MSV ……

After all, we are all here for a SINGLE MISSION …THAT’S MSV THE GREATEST .

Unless senior people like you write about MSV, the future generation may not know many of his classics.. they may think that its all composed by someone else !
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Articles Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Murali,
Had it not been for your latest posting , I would comfortably have held back my oldie status!

Yet, the point is, among the members of our forum I never feel age difference irrespective of proximity or otherwise with any of them. Whenever I meet /share perceptions, I have only felt younger as I rapidly plummet to the abyss of my memory store and start chewing the cud that never has an iota of stale feel as against some of the more recent items. The maverick MSV has spun a web of a huge labyrinth of delight from where none wishes to come out. While cherishing our experience with MSV's items if we seem to have other emotions dominating us, probably we have set our eyes elsewhere notwithstanding our genuine love for his compositions. BTW Your brief stay with us would be another piece of nostalgia in the days ahead.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor and Murali Sir,
This is a unique platform of friendship built on mutual respect for each other and for Mellisai Maamannar! No where else would anyone come across such a grouping and special bonding! We often go to the houses of our friends and relatives. But this level of friendship is so special. I felt as though I myself met and stayed in Madurai when I read your description. How MSV's music has united a few generations across!
Regards,
Sai Saravanan
Venkat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.RV,
I was very much surprised seeing your posting on Bowing out. Please do not take such decisions in a hurry. Not only you, the loser. MSVTimes will also lose a very good member.

So please continue and post your experiences of MSV, his music etc.,

After seeing 40+ postings, I understand that you are a great fan of MSV. The way you compare the music of MM with Hindi composers is really very nice.

I joined this site in Dec 2007. Before that, I was thinking that I am the greatest fan of MSV. But after going through this wonderful web site, I came to know that there are even more great MSV fans (of all ages, with profound knowledge of music) than me.

I have seen Mellisai Mannar from a very long distance a couple of times.
But after joining this site and moving with the wonderful members, I had an opportunity to meet Mellisai Mannar, took photo with that legend, got autograph etc.,

Another wonderful opportunity of watching the wonderful, lifetime event, MSV – The creator unplugged, which would not have been possible without this relationship…

I am really thankful (from my heart) to this forum members for giving me such wonderful oppurtunities…

I too enjoy reading the postings of many members for which I may fail to respond. But that doesn’t mean that I do not like them or their postings. To be honest, I am not that very good at writing the technical aspects of MSV songs as others do.

Probably that could be the reason why I am not responding to those postings. Simply I can appreciate them by saying very good, very nice etc., and whatelse I can write...

But I enjoy our MSV’s songs very much and the most. And ‘am pretty sure that (I know) there is some(extraordinary)thing special in our Master’s orchestration and composing. Undoubtedly it is unique.

So please do not get disgusted and continue to post your views.

Hope to see your posting very soon… Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: