"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yarukku maappillai yaaro – a song extraordinaire!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parthavi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Yarukku maappillai yaaro – a song extraordinaire! Reply with quote

I don’t know how popular the song ‘Yaarukku maappillai yaaro?’ from Paarththaal Pasi Theerum is (or, was, in its time.) But I find listening to this song a fascinating experience. It happens every time.

The prelude is something unique. I don’t think this kind of violin sound has been used in any other song. The orchestral note that launches the beginning of the pallavi is highly enjoyable. To me, it seems like a spring which unfolds and releases the pallavi with a gentle push. The interlude again is a unique orchestral feat.

The song is by way of a mild tease of the hero by the heroine (I am using this word for convenience, since the heroine of this film is Savitri.) peeved by the hero’s reluctance to accept her love. Kavignar has written the entire lyrics as a series of questions, since the heroine finds a question mark on her love, with the hero not openly reciprocating her feelings of love. All the lines end with ‘ro?’

The humming ‘ahahhahaa…’ that comes before the charanam reflects the teasing mood of the heroine. Again this is a unique humming that we cannot come across anywhere else. In fact the mocking expression ‘ahahahaa..’ is mostly used in conversation. This is probably the first and only time that this has been used so melodiously, producing an effect to enhance the pleasing demeanor of the song.

The picturisation, photography, the location and acting add to the enjoyability of the song greatly. Saroja Devi lives up to her title ‘Abhinaya Saraswati.’ With simple gestures, she conveys the meaning of each line so effectively yet effortlessly, naturally and pleasantly. The two different abhinyams she displays for the line ‘Dhoora ninRu jaadai purivaaro?’ are amazing. The choreographer needs to be applauded for making the performance so enjoyable with simple but sensible choreography.

The bright light and the shades that appear for a few moments during the song show the intelligence and hard work of the cinematographer and the director. Black and white photography has a depth that cannot be matched by color photography, which uses artificial colors.

Last but not least is performance of Sivaji Ganesan. Throughout this film, Sivaji performs with restraint, in keeping with the difficult position of the character he plays. His underplay of emotions and other reactions are a testimony to the versatility of the thespian. During this song also, he shows his reluctance by just being passive, yet displaying his dilemma. Another remarkable aspect of Sivaji’s meticulousness is the way he keeps his limping walk throughout the film with perfection. This will not be something that will be noticed by many but the actor, the perfectionist he is, takes extraordinary care to make his limping so accurate and consistent. During this song, he will be sitting and listening mostly but he walks a few steps with that perfect limp.

After writing this much, I only feel that I have not been able to adequately express my feelings about and experience in listening to this extraordinary song from this film which is full of gems.

‘Yaarukku maappillai yaaro’ has remained and will remain one of my all time favorites.

Here is the link for the song.
http://dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=59378
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parthavi sir,

Pls count me too as a big fan of this song Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This song appears at an appropriate moment and a great relief one will get in an otherwise a very gripping movie that too when Nadigar Thilagam will be very tense to protect Savithri and kid Kamal at the same time ensuring that Gemini's wife Sowcar doesnt suspect him .

Did you forget that majestic walk at the end of the song with a cheerful smile he gives ! Nadigar thilagam is incomparable .

Sir, also notice that the limping walk that he gives will exactly match with the rhythm too Very Happy I am getting hijacked by Sivaji here.

Lets talk about the song now.........Its a rhythmless wonder with some terrific chords .

Will write more soon. Thanks for bringing to light, this lighthearted melody !
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rengaswami sir,
Adding to your description:

the tabla beats also appear to be following the pattern of Shivaji's pace, and also joining the dancing movements of the heroine. They are so crisp and brilliant. Suddenly there is a gallop, and then a subtle sway... the tabla has its own drama with the actors!
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
After a long period of time I am again going through the site and found this thread very interesting . Especially that I am now concentrating on western violin practice and classical orchestral performances.
The violin sections in each and every song of MSV TKR is fit for a study by students who really claim to be interested in music and this song in no exception.
The interval movement of music could be best understood by this song. As you hum he tune you can simultaneously subconsciously hear another song which is totally different in the open or overt melody.
[ Athai magal :rathinathai :athan maranthara... PS version]It goes as a counter melody. Of course not the exact length and every turn of the song. However definitely the first phrase of the song for the sake of demonstrating the chordal movement.
Strangely the mood of the scene is also nearly the same. Which again explains the importance of observing prosody in composing a song.
For the sake of experimentation you can play the intro for Athai magal..... and continue Yarukku mapillai Yaro. The lilt also fits.

Thanks for kindling my thought process.
D.C.Arumainayagam.[Chakravarthy]
9445391693. Any time. 00 to 00
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Yes, the song 'Atthai magal..' can be heard blended with the other song of the subject. Very nice analysis of the subtler musical patterns.
Regards,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: