"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OORAARIRAM NAADAGAM AADINAAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: OORAARIRAM NAADAGAM AADINAAL Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
I mentioned in one of the earlier post that there are some songs which has a greater composing value gets buried because of other songs of in a particular movie by MSV.

The subject song identified is
‘oorayiram naadagam aadinaal’
in the movie ‘Sumathi en Sundari’ in which other songs like ‘pottu vaitha mugamo’ etc got much better popularity than this one.

The reason for writing this post is to unearth the buried values in this song. Before discussing about this song we need to understand how MSV views each composition of a song.

MSV mentioned many times that he never kept any raga in mind save the case which demands such. But then how does he compose? If he is not keeping raga in mind then on what basis does he has to compose. I myself have written extensively as to how he manages to do that. These are perceptions which can vary from person to person. But I do give examples as proofs. But having said that it is really a pity that MSV himself never declared as to on what basis he does his compositions. If you ask him at best he would show up his hand towards heaven. So we have to live with the fact that as fans of MSV we still ponder over that mystery.

But sometimes he himself had mentioned as to how he composes. Very popular version is the one he says ‘Music is in the lyric itself and my job is to bring out that’. This is a subtle way of telling how he composes.

In another interview he mentioned that ‘We discuss about the song with the directors and the lyricist. The directors explain them in detail about the story line, the situation in which the song has to placed etc. While they describe the situation I am able see a picture in my mind and there is music in that picture which runs in my mind and I am extracting the same’.

These are two very different versions which can confuse us. But if we see the inner meaning there is clarity. In the first instance he said it is lyrics. In the second instance he said it is the scene described. Which is true? Both are true. The fact is that the scene which is acting, the lyrics which is the language and the music which is the sound are all relative to each other and one depends on the others. That is why we say in Tamil as ‘iyal, isai, naadagam’. These 3 are like the three sides of an equilatelaral triangle. I have explained the reason why these 3 are interrelated to each other was explained in my earlier post.
The fact is that MSV extracts music which is in relation to the other two aspects could be one of the reasons why his songs stand with time. And this is also one of the reasons why MSV always say that music has to be within the lyric and the situation and it is not the place for the musician to show his skill.

Now this song perfectly fits the above mentioned aspects and that is why I said that this is one of the great compositions.

We are not privy to the information as to what was discussed before the composition of this song. The director CVR can explain at some moment. But we could guess as to what could have been discussed.

The logic is if MSV keeps the scene and the lyric in mind for the composition, then we could derive what could have been discussed from the song itself. I always try to analyze MSV from his songs as proof and try to reconstruct as to what could have influenced him rather than depending on other human beings verbal version.

So let us try to reconstruct the discussion that had taken place some 40 years ago. CVR would have briefed a the story line like
‘There is an actress who is famous but she feels very unhappy that she could not find privacy. She wants to be freely moving around places and move with others but could not do so because of her popularity. When ever she tried to be in social contacts with others were ridiculed as image building. In this circumstance when she was going for an outdoor shooting to a hilly area she misses her group and had taken shelter with a young man in that hilly region who does not identify her as an actress but a normal woman. The story goes like she had to accommodate the young man by acting like his wife in order to avoid marrying the gentle man’s daughter who brought him up. The man who brought him up accepts her as his daughter in law and asks the young man to take the girl around the Tea Estate of his.
It is when this song is placed.’

Now let us imagine as to what MSV would have felt in his mind the discussion went. He would have visualized the hilly region with the fresh greenery back ground. The lady had her feeling suppressed would have let all her emotions off by seeing the natures beauty. She would have found herself like a child running, jumping up and down, exclaiming. All these feelings would have been felt by MSV if he were to be in that girls place.

Now let us how the song came out. Again we are not privy to the information whether the lyrics came first or the tune. But let us assume that the lyrics came first as this will put MSV in the most disadvantageous position.

The line came from KD is
‘ooraayiram naadagam aadinaal
poomaalaigal medaiyil soodinaal’

We are not sure whether these lines came on the first attempt or the n’th attempt. But MSV would not have approved any line other than or similar to the one above. Many of us are not aware that it is MSV who approves the lyrics. He is the only one who has the guts to reject a line given by KD. But in this case he has approved these lines. Why did he approve?

The reason is that it perfectly conveys the story is one thing. That the line ‘ooraayiram naadagam aadinaal’ conveys that she is hiding herself from an actress and acting as a normal woman from the young man and that she is acting as a wife to him is one meaning. The other subtle meaning is that she had acted such kind of roles 1000 times in movies.

The second line ‘poo maalaigal medaiyil soodinal’ is the one that conveys the meaning that the girl having got introduced to the young man only for few hours but decided to act as his wife and that such kind of acting as an house wife many times in the stage earlier is the subtle meaning.

But why should MSV approve the lyrics which any could have been approved by CVR since it perfectly conveys the story.

The fact is these lines help him to present the scene musically.

How does that happen? Well if we study the language Tamil which consists of ‘kuril’ ‘nedil’ and the letters with the dot on its top. These are grammatically explained in terms of units or called ‘maathirai’. The kuril consists of 1 unit. The nedil consists of 2 units and the letter with a dot on its top is ½ units.

Now see how these lines are arranged.

In the word

(Oo-raa-yi-ra-m) (naa-da-ga-m) (aa-di-naa-l)
The units would be
(2 -2 -1 -1-1/2) (2 -1 -1-1/2) (2-1 -2 -1/2)

The next line
(poo-maa-lai-ga-l) (mey-dai-yi-l) (soo-di-naa-l)
The units would be
(2 -2 -1 -1-1/2) (2 -1 -1-1/2) (2-1 -2 -1/2)

Now if we try to plot a graph with these values what shape would you find?

When the song started it would have been 0 and taken higher to 2 stays in 2 and comes down to 1 and then further down to ½ when the word ended. Then again it would go up to 2 and comes down to 1 stays at 1 and comes down to ½ when the second word ends and again goes up to 2 comes down to 1 and again up to 2 and comes steep down to ½ when the third word and the lines end.

The same is for the next line. Now what does this convey. This shows that the melody goes up and down which conveys that the song happens in a hilly region where only you will see ups and downs. Not only that if there are many up and downs then the region in between is the valley and the Tea Estate is always on the slope of the hills till the valley down.

This is a perfect example of MSV explaining that ’The music is there in the lyric itself!!!’

Now a point could arise that the credit after all goes to KD the lyricist and MSV the composer. Well he could have approved the line as you claim it is but the words came from the lyricist. Why are you claiming the credit for the composer?

Well the credit goes to KD which even MSV would not deny. In fact he would not claim any credit at all and as usual show his hands at the heaven is a certainty.

But there is enough proof in the way MSV taught the song to PS. Look at the way PS deliberately extends the ‘nedils’ in the word. MSV normally calls the ‘nedils’ as ‘Dheergam’. Can this proof be substantiated? YES. For that we need to consider other examples of the same word and see how they are handled. Take the case of the song ‘ooraayiram paarvaiyile’. How does this sound comparing to this song? Well that has been composed by another Music Director and hence we don’t accept that as a proof. Well then take a song of MSV’s himself. The song ‘ooraariram thiruvaasagam’ in the movie ‘Thiruppangal’. How does it sound?

So it goes to show that MSV deliberately extended the nedil in such a way that the music has to give the feeling of up and downs in order to imply the location.

There are other points which have to be added. Go back to the earlier paragraph where I mentioned as to what MSV would have visualized when the song situation was explained to him. That he visualized that the girls emotion which got suppressed due to her fame as an actress now would be released like a flowing river. Does KD give any lyrics for that emotion? No. So what does MSV do accomplish that. Instead he used a humming before the start of the song. It is indeed that first the emotions flows when you are relived of your pressure which you express in many ways and then you pronounce word is the fact that MSV started the song with the humming. Look at the way the humming is set. You can find similarity with the humming in the song ‘kaatrukkennna veli’.

This is a perfect example of MSV explaining that ’The music is there in the scene itself!!!’

Look at the way the emotive expression of the word ‘baavanai kaatinaal’ which he repeats
And if you see with the rhythm ad tempo exactly express the mood ‘kudoogalam’ or jumping up and down.

Look at the charanam where the lines
‘mella mella killi killi kai edhuthu alli alli kaaleduthu thulli thulli’
‘kaanum azhagennavo aha kannil kalai ennavo’
All these are set on a different tempo to make the feeling of exclamations, child’s play. We all become child like when we go to hill station and see the beauty and some times verbally express our exclamation.

To end the subject let me add one more very subtle point which MSV kept in this song.

If you hear the song in total you will notice that there is a difference between the first and the second charanam.

In the second charanam you would notice that when the line
‘ilaya magal meyniyinai iyarkkai thaalaatta’ would be followed by a humming. Whereas the same may not be there for the first charanam
‘theyilayin thalai thadavi sellum poonkaatre’ which does not have the humming. Why this difference?

Because the catch is there in the lyric. In the first charanam the cool breeze touches the head of the Tea leaves which she may not feel but she describes. But in the second charanam she herself actually feels the cool breeze passing through her like a lullaby.
So what does she do? She expresses the cool breeze experience with a humming.

Again a perfect example of producing a music which is there in the lyric itself!!!

The music pundits cutting across barriers are very much obsessed with ragas, theory, orchestration, technology etc. But for MSV ragas doesn’t matter. Ask him to re do the song with a condition that he should not use any note which he has used in this version and still he come up with another version but would still maintain the value I have mentioned.

What matters to him is the musical expression which cohesive to the lyric and the scene and not RAGA.

Regards,

N Y MURALI
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali,
A brilliant analysis. You are an MSV when it comes to song analysis. This piece of writing is a fit entry for a doctoral research. This has to be preserved. though this may not go out of the forum from the present, I am sure that posterity will appreciate the value of your research.

Hats off to you.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir

This writing automatically qualifies for the Book Nr : 2 on MSV . Indeed its a special song and I wonder how many rehearsals P.Susheela ji would have had for the Pallavi OOOOOOOrayiram. This is another MSV beauty which was overshadowed by Pottu vaitha mugamo Embarassed and Oru dharam ...... Nadigar thilagam fans would have gleefully lapped up these numbers .

I now thnk of Senthaazampovil vandhaadum thendral ( Mullum malarum ) where Ilayaraja too had given that splendid impact of hill surroundings and the chill breeze that one will get passing through

Back to Orayiram.... MSV has given due respect to the lyrics but applied his creative imagination on the visuals and gave us this classic ! The childish exuberance displayed by JJ aptly brought in through P.Susheela who deserves a mention .... Amazingly, the same MSV also has given Oru aalayamaagum mangai manadhu .... relatively low key subdued but classical tune !

Many o/s tunes of MSV like Ammamma kaatru vandhu also have been won over by songs like Enna enna varthaigalo Laughing
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also imagine how the song would appear without the OOOO shake... That shaky start gives a diff output altogether !
ragasuda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali,
Your analysis on this song "Orayiram" is simply outstanding. I don't agree with Balaji's understatement about NT fans. NT fans are mostly MSV fans and they definitely know the nuances of each and every song composed by MSV. And there is no necessity for bringing about the music knowledge and taste of fans of any artiste, which might lead to unnecessary arguments. The fact that Pottu Vaitha Mugamo was a hit itself shows that there is no reservation for any particular singer for NT and that new voice was overwhelmingly received. This itself is an ample proof of the unbiased acknowledgement of MSV and his music by NT fans.

Many of you might not have even born during the release of this film in 1971. From day 1 all songs of SES, particularly, Orayiram and Pottu Vaitha Mugamo were popular.

Coming to my personal affinity to this song.

I saw this film innumerable times even in theatres. This film is a must-watch at the theatre and not on a DVD or VCD at home.

Because Thambu had made brilliant cinematography and gave life to MSV's compositions, particularly outdoor. Throughout the songs his cinematography matched the aesthetics of the composition. And same applies to costume designer. For the bright composition, Oru dharam ore dharam, they chose white and white to the hero and dark yellow to the heroine and the background bright daylight. For the song Pottu Vaitha Mugamo, which peaks in romance after a brief prelude, the costume was made to appear romantic and mood of the song was rendered full justice by the costume and cinematography. The lighting was neither bright nor dark and it made the theatre look like a haven for lovers.

And to top it all, the song in discussion. This song with a silent but jeep sound, prepared the audience for what is in store. The joy of a city girl on seeing the pleasantry knew no bounds and she expresses it from her heart. This feel should be brought to the viewers and the director ought to take most careful preparations and HE DID. The costume here enhanced the mood of the heroine as well as the mood of the hero. The humming before the start of the song itself created the atmosphere. The heroine enjoys wandering on the tea estate, on seeing women plucking leaves, the greenery and expresses in her words.

Here observe the lyrics:
"Ilaiya magal meniyinai Iyarkai Thalaatta"

The bifurcating lanes with the layer of sand, the bright sky every thing was covered by the cinematographer in different angles according to the tune and lyrics. And to top it all,

THE END OF THE SONG BECAME SO LIVELY. THE WOMEN WOULD LEAVE HOME LIKE A BEEHIVE AND THE CAMERA SLOWLY ZOOMS OUT FOR THE BACKGROUND HUMMING. AND THE SHOT ENDS WITH COMPLETE ZOOM OUT GRADUATING.

THIS PARTICULAR ENDING OF THE SONG MADE ME SEE THE FILM FOR INNUMERABLE TIMES.

AS AN NT FAN THIS WAS THE FILM I SAW ALMOST CROSSING A CENTURY TIMES
FOR NT AND JAYALALITHA'S ROMANCE
FOR MSV'S BACKGROUND SCORE, PARTICULARLY THE HUMMING...
FOR THAMBU'S CINEMATOGRAPHY
FOR CVR'S JUSTIFIED PRESENTATION
FOR THE BEST OUTPUT FROM THE SINGERS

Among other things.

Thank you Murali, for giving me an opportunity to write about my all time favourite and one among the TOP 10 songs.

Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Meenakshi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

அன்புள்ள முரளி,

இன்னுமொரு அற்புதமான பதிவு உங்கள் பாணியில்! இந்த பாடலை ரசிப்பது போலவே உங்கள் பதிவையும் மிகவும் ரசித்தேன். அருமை, மிகவும் அருமை! வாழ்த்துக்கள்!
இந்த பாடல் தொடங்குவதற்கு முன் வரும் அந்த ஹம்மிங் மலையில் இருந்து இறங்கும் நீர்வீழ்ச்சி, கீழே விழுந்து, தெறித்து மீண்டும் எழுவது போன்ற ஒரு புத்துணர்ச்சியை கொடுக்கும். அப்படி ஒரு அழகான பாடல் இது. 'ஓராயிரம் நாடகம்' என்று மெல்லிசை மன்னர் தன் இசையால் ஆட்டுவித்த இந்த பாடலை நாம் ஓராயிரம் முறை கேட்டு, கேட்டு நம் மனதில் இன்றும் ஆடவைத்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறோம்.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali & Raghavendran sirs!
The analyses, as usual, from both of you are brilliant! Murali sir deserves to be richly decorated with a Ph.D. Not a simple word of praise. But, every word analysed, every sound described, every scene brought out, so realistically...I am immersed now in the same feeling as you have described. This goes to prove that your blood and breath have got blissfully flooded with MSV! The description of the fall of water from the waterfalls can also be enjoyed from madam's observations! The beauty of this song has been enhanced a thousand times now, literally!
Sai Saravanan
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. CK,
I am 50 years old. Well as a person just interested in music with no music knowledge I remember 25 years ago, I learned carnatic music in harmonium hardly for 3 months. Whenever I tried to play songs of other music directors I could easily play the tune after finding out the raga but always struggled to get MSV tunes on harmonium. Thanks to Mr. Thiyagarajan, who was an assistant to MSV whom I met accidentally even though he resided opposite to my house in Iyanavaram. But I could hardly spend an hour or two for 2 or 3 days time since I was shifting my location from Chennai to Jalandhar.

So the tips given my him made me try all his songs in the harmonium on my own for the past 25 years.

Of course my association with our friends in this forum enhanced my thinking to a great extent.

Exploring the nuances in his songs are like an experience of a Sindhubadh island stories.

Thanks,

N Y MURALI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: