"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOOKING BACK -5. "Kalaikkoil" - What went wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: LOOKING BACK -5. "Kalaikkoil" - What went wrong Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
All of us know that it is beyond human guess to pinpoint reasoms for success or failures of songs/ movies. Also, all stories of success do not provide any framework for assured victory. But one thing may be suggested that expectations pave the way to failures as well.
In this case,["kalaikkoil"] the expectation was high in terms of light , happy-go-lucky deal [people were still under the KadhalikkanErmillai impact].
MSV too feels that the period of arrival after KN did the movie in.
From such a light subject as K N, packed with hilarity, people did not anticipate a near 'art-type' moVie from Sridhar -MSV combo. But, it is certainly the uncalled for anticipation on the part of the audience because stereotypes cannot be generated in succession. Actually, the KN effect had invited youth to the auditoria, who failed to accept a storyline with a very different attitude of sustaining rigid practices of tradition.
Recently, IN AN INTERVIEW- CV Rajendran -an associate Director of the movie was sad of the fate of the movie at the box office. He reiterated that the movie was far ahead of its time; had it hit the screen some 40 years later, it could have won appreciation for the treatment. IT IS A CASE OF SPILT MILK, with no solace for any lamentation.
Our effort of tracing trend-setting efforts of the period 1964-66, can still identify the attitudes in movie-making.
Of the different options ['vennira aadai /Kalaikkoil'], without wavering MSV opted to make KK, purely because the story was about a music family [the implication was not materialism outright]
Secondly, only second line actors were employed purely on suitability of potraying a specific role.
No cinematic presentation is known in the movie which strengthens our observation that 'treatment' of the subject was accorded the right value, without forcing items of mass appeal on the audience.
No effort has been spared in giving the best technical support in cinematography, Editing, Choreography, Music, BGM and Direction. Each of them had rich diet for analysts. Since the movie is not available on CDs/ DVDs, I have to stay with hazy memory which would not help detailed analysis. If I manage to get a copy of the movie, certainly I would possess it and explain all such critical features.
For sure, we can say that bold ventures with the noble intention of artistic taste / aesthetics were very much in evidence, unlike the common belief that such things are of origin in 1980s. In fact, technology constraints never hampered sincere experimentation.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof
contact me over phone or sms My no.98410-33888 reg Kalaikoyil
baskar
ragasuda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
Everybody is very eager to watch the classic of all times, Kalai Koyil. When enquired, I came to know that the full rights including negative, rest with the Sridhar Sir's family. I also learnt that a company approached them for releasing the film on VCD/ DVD but returned unsuccessfully. It seems they are not in favour of giving the rights at present. However, we may hope and prey the almighty that the film would see the light of the day soon.

Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: