"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some common traits in certain types of songs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Some common traits in certain types of songs Reply with quote

I have observed some interesting features in some songs. I am not sure how significant they are. But I venture to share my perceptions here because I am sure that if my observations have some merit, they will be picked up for an elaborate analysis by those who can decipher these features and unravel the beauty inside them.

Consider these songs:

Muththuk kulikka vaareegalaa

Muththuch chippi mella mella

oru muththaaraththil muppadhu muththu

Aani muththu vaangi vandhen

Muththukkalo kangal

Muththaana muththallavo

We can see that all these songs have 'muththu', as one of the keywords. It appears to me that these songs have a distinct rhythmic pattern about them. The interludes also have certain soft patterns. Perhaps the rhythm reflects the sound of rattling pearls (sila muththukkalai oru kuduvaikkul pottuk kulukkuvadhu pola) Or, am I imagining things? I can feel the rattling of pearls when I listen to the interlude of oru muththaaraththil and the sound of dropping of pearls (or a soft metal) on the floor, in Aaani muththu. I feel handicapped in expressing my perceptions more precisely, but I am sure that the message I am trying to convey will be imbibed by the discerning readers of our forum. I hope some of them will throw more light on this aspect.

Another word which always finds a very distinct expression in our master's songs is water. We can feel the flow of water in its various dimensions in songs relating to water. If we could actually "see" a boat being rowed on placid waters in Amaidhiyaana nadhiyinile, even when we had heard this song in the radio in the sixties and seventies, we could feel the whirlpools in Vaazha ninaiththaal vaazhalaam. There are several other songs covering the bathing scenes like,

kannu padap pogudhu (Sondham)

kannaadi meniyadi (kodi malar)

paallaadai meni (poovaa thalaiyaa)

etc.

We can see a pattern of music being used in all these songs. I often identify the sound of filling a pot by slowly immersing it into water.
Can someone analyze these songs, identifying the instruments used and the techniques used to create the effect?

There is a beautiful song, 'panneeril oru pournamith thingal kulikka vandhadho' from ‘Mupperum Dheviyar ‘(I came across this song for the first time, through a link given by Sri Raghavendran under the thread 'Mellisai Mannar in eighties.') Apart from the fact that this is a brilliantly composed song, the rhythm and other orchestral effects used here is something unique. I don't know what instrument is used but apparently, this kind of rhythm has not been used anywhere else.

I give below the link for this song:

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=42821&mode=100&rand=0.21745673074125393
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: