"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naadhamennum kovilile - MSVyin Isai parimaanangal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragasuda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Naadhamennum kovilile - MSVyin Isai parimaanangal Reply with quote

Dear friends,
MSVtimes.com has arranged an unique programme "Naadhamennum Kovilile", bringing out the nuances and intricacies and various dimensions of the compositions of Mellisai Mannar. This can be interpreted a demonstration of the writings by members in our forum. Sai Kumar's Sai Sangeeth Prakruthi will be the orchestra. The Programme will be held as follows:

Date: 14.04.2010
Venue: Sir P.Tee. Thyagarajar Kalai Arangam, G.N. Chetty Road, T.Nagar, Chennai -17.
Time: Registration - 5.00 p.m.
Programme start - 5.30 p.m.

Our beloved Mellisai Mannar will be the Observer.

As discussed and decided at the meeting on 4th April 2010, the invitation cum registration foil is finalised and is provided at the following link:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u204/ram_msvtimes/Forum%20Events%202010/NADHAMENNUM_KOVILILAEINVITATION.jpg

Please be there on time. Volunteers are requested to be present at the venue much before the registration commences.

Let's make this a great and memorable event.

Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
ragasuda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hindu, in its Friday Review Supplement dated 09.04.2010, and Times of India, in its issue dated 09.04.2010, has mentioned this event:
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/04/09/stories/2010040951080200.htm

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u204/ram_msvtimes/Forum%20Events%202010/TOI_0904101.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u204/ram_msvtimes/Forum%20Events%202010/HINDU_0904101.jpg

Thank you The Hindu and Times of India.

Raghavendran
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear one and All,

Thanks to Mr. Murali and Mr. Srikumar for the great evening, they have provided.

Thanks to the Orchestra and singers (Hats off to Sri Kovai Murali and Mrs. Jayashree) for their wonderful presentation of songs. Great job indeed Mr. Kovai Murali and Mrs. Jayashree!!!! Unforgettable evening which provided lingering nostalgic memories.

Mr.Vatsan, your narration was very good. Mr. Murali, you also did a good job, but your explanation was too technical and could have been short and sweet to sustain the interest of the audience even more better.

Some of the wonderful songs which received much appreciation from a relatively poor audience should have been placed at the beginning, in the order of preference, when the auditorium was full. Eg: Vellale vizhigal, Naam oruvarai oruvar, Kaelviyin nayaganae etc.

My sincere thanks to Mr Saikumar for his orchestra, Mr Vaidy, Mr. Ramki, Mr. Mani, Mr. Sundararajan, Mr.Sabesan, Mr. Ragasudha, Mr. Mandaveli Jayaraman, Mr.Srs, Mr. Jeyaraman (TCS), Mr.Magesh, Mrs. Malathi Murali, Mrs. Srikumar and family of Mr.N Y Murali for their wonderful contribution to make the event a great success.

Thank you one and all!!

Sampat

Miss. Dharini, wonderful singing ! Congrats!!
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: How to Register? Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

The event "nAdhamenum KovililE" was a runaway hit by every reckoning. The most salient feature of the event was its sheer freshness of approach. My honest feeling is even if one runs around the state, [s]he may not be able to locate a source that can half-deliver the message we had from Mr.Murali and Mr.Vatsan.
So, Mr.Sampat, I beg to differ from some of your observations on the event. It was vivid and transparent that the comperes[ NY M and SL] had done substantial home work in the choice of numbers, LOGICAL LINK BETWEEN NUMBERS, narrative elements chosen to drive a point home, besides jocular rebuttals between themselves in warding off semblance of monotony through the event. Since the whole event had been conceived and carried out with a definite plan of songs in a progressive sequence, the realignment of songs to cater to audience would possibly have resulted in a replica of common light music evening. On the contrary, the technical message [though beyond any commoner's COMPREHENSION] did serve a couple of purposes.

1. MSV's compositions are just not random scores; they are punctuated by innate relevance in every domain like expression, impression, fitting orchestration and the like.

2. MSV had brought out so much in an era bereft of technology.

3. He has handled every species of orchestration under every genre of world music purely on the strength of relevance.

All I am trying to say here is, the minor inconvenience if any has tobe put up with by the audience , as they stand to gain access to a piece of information that is not there for the asking.

So, Sir, it IS my sincere submission that as one of the least knowledgeable members among the audience,to me it was a revelation of sorts suggesting how MSV has churned out world class pieces in an era of 'zero or cipher technology' as against the 'cyber technology' of the present day.

The awe keeps looming large if one reckons the busy 24x7 schedule of MSV in his hey days when he could not have borrowed even a minute's time for 'peaceful thinking ' / planning. Obviously Goddess Saraswathy keeps perpetual company with MSV.

One more stark fact that emerged was, 'late coming' is always a 'spoil sport' no matter who does it. At the end, some songs had to be axed.

Certainly the event was conceptually intellectual in character and therefore needs being respected by the audience for the objectivity of the effort.
If my perceptions are wrong, please dismiss them as of an inconsequential novice, since I am not endowed in domains of music as our other friends in the forum.

Once again kudos to all our friends from the forum for the efforts to give a novel output. May God Bless you all.

Warm regards. Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ஆங்கிலத்தில் 'first things first' என்பார்கள். எனவே ஒரு வேண்டுகோளுடன் துவங்குகிறேன். வேண்டுகோள், முரளி மற்றும் வத்ஸனின் குடும்பத்தினர்க்கு. முதலில் முரளி, வத்சன் இருவருக்கும் திருஷ்டி சுற்றிப் போடுங்கள். ஏனெனில், நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு வந்திருந்த அத்தனை பேரையும் இந்த இரட்டையர் கவர்ந்து விட்டார்கள் என்பதில் சந்தேகம் இல்லை. திருஷ்டி கழிக்கும் முகமாக நானே சில குறைகளையும் குறிப்பிடப் போகிறேன் என்பது வேறு விஷயம்!

முதலில், நிகழ்ச்சியில் அலசப்பட்ட பாடல்களின் பட்டியலைக் கொடுத்து விடுகிறேன். இதை என் நினைவிலிருந்து எழுதுவதால், ஒரு சில பாடல்கள் விட்டுப் போக வாய்ப்பு உண்டு. வரிசையிலும் மாற்றம் நேர்ந்திருக்கும்.

1) இறை வணக்கம் - ஆயிரம் கரங்கள் நீட்டி - கர்ணன்
2) நீராடும் கடலெடுத்த - தமிழ்த் தாய் வாழ்த்து
3) தமிழுக்கும் அமுதென்று பேர் - பஞ்ச வர்ணக்கிளி
4) புல்லாங்குழல் கொடுத்த - கிருஷ்ண கானம்
5) அன்பே வா - அன்பே வா
6) அழகிய தமிழ் மகள் இவள் - ரிக் ஷாக்காரன்
7) என்ன வேகம் நில்லு பாமா - குழந்தையும் தெய்வமும்
Cool நான் நன்றி சொல்வேன் - குழந்தையும் தெய்வமும்
9) அடடா என்ன அழகு - நீ
10) வெள்ளிமணி ஓசையிலே - இரு மலர்கள்
11) மதுரா நகரில் - பார் மகளே பார்
12) சிரித்தாள் தங்கப் பதுமை - கண்ணன் என் காதலன்
13) ஆறோடும் மண்ணில் - பழனி
14) என்னுயிர்த் தோழி - கர்ணன்
15) உன்னிடத்தில் என்னைக் கொடுத்தேன்
16) சித்திரை மாதம் பௌர்ணமி நேரம் - ராமன் எத்தனை ராமனடி
17) எங்கிருந்தோ ஆசைகள் - சந்திரோதயம்
1Cool கேள்வியின் நாயகனே - அபூர்வ ராகங்கள்
19) வேலாலே விழிகள் - என்னைப் போல் ஒருவன்

ஒவ்வொரு பாடலும் தேர்வு செய்யப்பட்டதற்கு ஒரு காரணம் இருந்தது. ஒவ்வொரு பாடலின் சிறப்பையும் முரளியும், வத்சனும் எந்த அளவுக்கு எளிமையாக விளக்க முடியுமோ அந்த அளவுக்கு எளிமையாக விளக்கினார்கள் என்பதை அனைவருமே ஏற்றுக்கொள்வார்கள். குறிப்பாக, தாங்கள் சொல்லும் விஷயம் சரியாக எல்லோரையும் சென்றடைய வேண்டும் என்பதில் முரளி சற்று அதிக அக்கறையும், முயற்சியும் எடுத்துக் கொண்டார் என்று தோன்றியது. வத்சனின் இயல்பான உரையாடலும், நகைச்சுவை உணர்வும் நல்ல வரவேற்பைப் பெற்றன. இருப்பினும், எளிய தமிழில் சரளமாகப் பேசும் திறன் படைத்த வத்சன், ஆங்கிலச் சொற்கள் பயன்படுத்தியதைச் சற்று குறைத்துக் கொண்டிருக்கலாம் என்பது என் கருத்து.

துவக்கத்தில், விளக்கங்கள் சற்று நீளமாகவே இருந்தன. இசை பிறந்தது எப்படி, அன்பே வா பாடலுக்கான விளக்கம், எப்படி மெல்லிசை மன்னர் chordsஐப் பயன்படுத்தி, கர்நாடக ராகங்களில் மேற்கத்திய இசையைப் புகுத்தி, அவற்றை மெல்லிசை ஆகுகிறார் போன்ற விளக்கங்கள் எவ்வளவு பேருக்குப் புரிந்திருக்கும் என்பதுடன், இந்த விளக்கத்தின் பயன் (purpose) என்ன என்பதும் எனக்குப் புரியவில்லை.

பல பாடல் விளக்கங்கள் மிக அருமையாக அமைந்து ரசிகர்களைக் கவர்ந்தன என்பதை அவர்களின் அனிச்சையான கரவொலியே வெளிப்படுத்தியது. குறிப்பாக, 'நீராடும் கடலெடுத்த' பாடலுக்கு ஏன் மெல்லிசை மன்னர் 'மோகனத்தைத்' தேர்ந்தெடுத்தார், 'தமிழுக்கும் அமுத்தென்று பேர்' பாடலின் முத்தாய்ப்பான வரிகளை எப்படி கவிஞர் பாரதிதாசனின் உணர்வுகள் வெளிப்படும்படி இசை அமைத்தார், 'அழகிய தமிழ் மகளின்' துவக்கத்தில் வரும் இசை எப்படி நினைவுகள் உள்ளடங்கிக் கனவு மலர்வதைப் பிரதிபலிக்கிறது, 'மதுரா நகரின்' முதல் இரண்டு சரணங்களின் இணைப்பிசை ஒரே மாதிரி இருப்பதும், மூன்றாவது சரணத்தின் இணைப்பிசை வேறு விதமாகவும் இருப்பது ஏன், ராகமாலிகையில் அமைந்த 'கேள்வியின் நாயகனே' பாடலின் நுணுக்கங்கள், குறிப்பாக, கடைசிச்சரணம் மத்தியமாவதியில் அமைந்திருப்பதின் காரணம் போன்றவற்றை இவர்கள் விவரித்ததை ரசிகர்கள் வியப்புடனும், உற்சாகத்துடனும், ஆனந்ததுடனும் ரசித்ததை, ஒரு பார்வையாளனாக என்னால் பக்கத்தில் இருந்து பார்க்க முடிந்தது.

ஆயினும் என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரை ஒரு ஏமாற்றம். 'சித்திரை மாதம்' பாடலை சிறப்பாக விளக்கப் போகிறார்கள் என்று எதிர்பார்த்திருந்த நிலையில், (ரயில் சத்ததை ஏற்படுதுவதற்காக) உப்புக் காகிதம் தேய்க்கும் உத்தியை எம் எஸ் வி 1954இல் வந்த போர்ட்டர் கந்தன் படத்திலேயே துவங்கி விட்டார் என்று குறிப்பிட்டது, இந்தப் பாடலின் பிரமிக்கத்தக்க இசை முயற்சிக்கு நியாயம் செய்வதாக இல்லை.

அதிகம் கொடுக்க வேண்டும் என்ற ஆர்வத்தில், நிகழ்ச்சியை மிக நீளமாக அமைத்து விட்டார்களோ என்று தோன்றியது. மாலை ஆறு மணிக்கு முன்பு இது போன்ற நிகழ்ச்சிகளைத் துவக்குவது நடைமுறையில் சாத்தியமில்லை. ஒன்பது மணிக்கு மேல் நிகழ்ச்சி தொடர்ந்தால், சொந்த வாகன வசதி இல்லாதவர்களுக்கு சிரமமாக இருக்கும். இசை நிகழ்ச்சிகளுக்கு நூறு, இருநூறு என்று கட்டணம் செலுத்தி ரசிக்க முடியாத பல கீழ் நடுத்தர வர்க்கத்தைச் சேர்ந்தவர்கள் இது போன்ற நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு ஆர்வமாக வருவார்கள். இனி வரும் நிகழ்ச்சிகளை ஒன்பது மணிக்கு நிறைவு செய்யும் விதமாகத் திட்டமிடலாம் என்பது எனது கருத்து.

இசைக்குழுவினரின் முயற்சி பாராட்டுதற்குரியது. குறிப்பாக, வழக்கமாகப் பாடப் படாத பல பாடல்களைப் பயிற்சி செய்து நிகழ்ச்சியில் இடம் பெறச் செய்ததைப் பாராட்ட வேண்டும். ஆரம்பத்தில் சில பாடல்களில் தாள வாத்திய்ங்களின் தொனி சற்று தூக்கலாக இருந்ததாக எனக்குத் தோன்றியது. 'மதுரா நகரில்', 'என்னுயிர்த்தோழி' போன்ற கடினமான பாடல்களைத் தவிர்த்து மற்ற பாடல்களில் இசைக்குழுவினரின் பங்கேற்பு மிகச் சிறப்பாகவே இருந்தது.

கோவை முரளியும், ஜெயஸ்ரீயும் இவ்வளவு உற்சாகமாகப் பாடியதை இதுவரை நான் பார்த்ததில்லை. நமது உறுப்பினர்கள் திரு சம்பத்தின் குமாரி அர்ஷிதா ('சித்திரை மாதம்'), திரு சுந்தரராஜனின் புதல்வி தாரிணி ('வெள்ளி மணி') ஆகியோரும் சிறப்பாகப் பாடலை அனுபவித்துப் பாடினார்கள். 'ஆறொடும் மண்னின்' பாடலில் சீர்காழியின் வரிகளை பாடுவதற்காகத் திருவண்ணாமலையில் இருந்து வந்த விவசாயியும் அருமையாகப் பாடினார்.

வைத்தியின் அறிமுக உரை, பேராசிரியர் ராமனின் முகவுரை மற்றும் நன்றியுரை, திரு சுதாங்கனின் சிற்றுரை, சென்னைத் தமிழ்ச் சங்கம் திரு ப.லக்ஷ்மணனின் பாராட்டுரை, எம் எஸ்வியின் வாழ்த்துரை போன்ற மற்ற பல விஷயங்களையும் விரிவாக எழுதினால் இந்தக் கட்டுரை இன்னும் நீண்டு விடும் என்பதால், இவற்றைக் குறிப்பிடுவதோடு நிறுத்திக் கொள்கிறேன்.

'நாதமெனும் கோவிலிலே' என்பது நிகழ்ச்சியின் பெயர். இந்தப் பாடலின் அடுத்த வரி,
ஞான விளக்கேற்றி வைத்தேன்
என்பதாகும்.

முரளியும், வத்சனும், 'நாதமெனும் கோவிலிலே (மூலம்) (ஒரு) ஞான விளக்கு ஏற்றி வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள். இந்த விளக்கின் ஒளி சிலருக்கு இசை தெய்வத்தின் அழகைக் கொஞ்சம் கோடிட்டாவது காட்டியிருக்கும். எதிர்காலத்தில், இந்த விளக்கின் சுடரிலிருந்து மேலும் பல விளக்குகள் ஏற்றப்பட்டு, இந்த இசை ஆலயம் ஒளிப்பிழம்பாகக் காட்சி அளிக்கலாம்.

கோவிலில் விளக்கு ஏற்றுவது இறைவனுக்கு வெளிச்சம் வேண்டும் என்பதற்காக அல்ல. கருவறையின் இருட்டில் இருக்கும் இறைவனின் திருவுருவைத் தரிசிக்க நமக்கு ஒளி வேண்டும் என்பதற்காக. இந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு 'நாதமெனும் கோவிலிலே' என்று அருமையான பெயர் அமைந்தது ஒரு அற்புதமான விஷயம்.

கடைசியாக ஒரு வார்த்தை. கட்டுரையின் முதல் வரியை மீண்டும் படியுங்கள்.
நன்றி!
ragasuda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

டியர் முரளி மற்றும் ஸ்ரீராம் லக்ஷ்மண் எ வத்ஸன்,
ரெங்கசாமி ஐயா சொன்னது போல் திருஷ்டி கழிக்க வேண்டும் உங்களுக்கு. மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பாடல்களைப் பற்றி அலசி ஆராயும் இது போன்ற நிகழ்ச்சி இதுவே முதன் முறை என்பது மிகப் பெரிய சாதனை. அதற்காகவே தங்களுக்கு தனியாக திருஷ்டி கழிக்க வேண்டும்.

ரங்கசாமி அவர்கள் சொன்னது போல் பாடல் தேர்வு மிகவும் அருமை மட்டுமல்ல, ஒன்றுக்கொன்று தொடர் சங்கிலி போல் இணைநது பயணித்தன. மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பாடல்களை மேடைகளில் இசைப்பது என்பது மிக மகக் கடினமானது. மற்ற இசையமைப்பாளர்களின் பாடல்களைப் போல் அல்லாது மிகவும் நுணுக்கமாக அலசி ஆராய்நது குறிப்புகளை எடுத்து அவற்றை பல முறை பயிற்சி எடுத்துத் தான் மேடையில் இசைக்க முடியும். இப்படி பல பாடல்கள், அதுவும் அதிகம் கேட்டிராத அபூர்வமான பாடல்களுககு இன்னும் அதிக சிரமப் பட வேண்டியிருக்கும். தற்காலத்தில் வாசிக்கக் கூடிய பெரும்பாலான வாத்திய இசைக் கலைஞர்கள் தற்போதைய பாடல்களின் அடிப்படையிலேயே வாசித்துப் பழகியிருப்பார்கள். அவர்களிடம் மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பாடல்களை அதுவும் புதிதாக பாடல்களைக் கொடுத்து வாசிக்கச் சொல்லும் போது அது மிகவும் கடினமான பணியாயிருக்கும்.

இவற்றையெல்லாம் பரிசீலித்து இறுதியில் அதற்கு செயல் வடிவம் கொடுத்து அதில் எந்த விதமான கான்செப்ட் அதாவது கருத்துரு அமைக்க வேண்டுமோ அந்த வடிவத்தில் இசைக் கோர்வையாக அவர்களுக்கு பயிற்சி யளித்து அந்தப் பாடல்களில் உள்ள நுணுக்கங்களை வாசிப்புகள் மூலம் எடுத்துரைக்கும் இப்பணி தமிழ்த்திரை வரலாற்றில் குறிப்பாக மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பாடல்களைப் பற்றிய ஆய்வில் முதன் முறையாகும்.

இம்முயற்சியில் ஈடுபட்டு வெற்றி கண்டுள்ள அனைவருக்கும் என் தனிப்பட்ட முறையிலான பாராட்டுக்களைத் தெரிவித்துக் கொள்கிறேன். குறிப்பாக சாய் குமார் அவர்களின் இசைக்குழுவினர் முழு ஈடுபாட்டுடன் வாசித்தது மெச்சத் தக்கது. ஒருங்கிணைப்பு மட்டுமே சிறிதளவு பாதிக்கப் பட்டிருந்தது. அவற்றையும் தொடரும் நிகழ்ச்சிகளில் சரி செய்து கொள்ளலாம்.

மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பாட்டை ரசித்துக் கொண்டு மட்டுமே இருந்த என்னைப் போன்ற பாமரர்களுக்கு இத்தகைய நிகழ்ச்சிகள் வரப்பிரசாதமாய் உள்ளன. இப்போது இப்பாடல்களைக் கேட்கும் போது பல புதிய பரிணாமங்கள் தெரிய வரும்.

மேலும் மேலும் இத்தகைய நிகழ்ச்சிகளை நடத்த வேண்டுமாய்க் கேட்டுக் கொள்கிறேன்.

ராகவேந்திரன்
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am producing herewith the message received from Mr. Ram through mail forwarded by Mr. Vaidy.

Mr. Ram quotes as

On Thu, 15/4/10, ramsubramanain ram <ramsubramanain> wrote:

Subject: MAV - The musical Legend
To: vaidymsv@yahoo.com
Cc: ramki@tafe.co.in
Date: Thursday, 15 April, 2010, 3:47 PM

Kindly forward this mail to Mr. Murali at MSVTIMES.COM

Dear Mr. Murali & the other co -host ( apologies for not remembering the name)

Please accept my heartiest congratulations for both you for anchoring & presenting a unique musical show the first of its kind in the history of film music.

It was an in depth analysis with an passion for melody and good music.

I thoroughly enjoyed your observations on chords and rhythm and how western notes could be blended to our music without sacrificing the Indian flavor.

I have been an ardent fan of Mellisai Mannargal and consider the early 60 as the golden period of Indian ( both South Indian & North Indian) music.

With reference to chord based melody, i have an observation. I think it was O.P.Nayyar the noted bollywood composer who introduced rhythm ( guitar ) based songs in Indian Music. If my memory is correct the duet sung by Rafi / Asha ( Deewanu Wa Badal ) in Kashmir ki Kali which incidentally won him the best music director award from filmfare was the trend setter
for rhythm based songs.

MSV/TKR did that in the movie Nitchaya Thamboolam
( Andavan Padaichan ennkitte koduthan sung by TMS ) which was an extremely catchy number.

Both the movies were released around 1960/61.

It is unfortunate that stereophonic recording was not in vogue during the golden period of MSV. We could have really enjoyed the accompanying instruments like Accordion, Double Bass, Sax / Trumpet & violins in all their glory.

I want to thank all the people who were responsible for organizing this wonderful show and request you to continue the good work.

I will be only too eager to offer my services as a volunteer if you require any help in the future.

Please revert at your earliest.

Warm regards,

S.Ram
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

First of all please accept my sincere thanks to all of you for making this unique programme a success by your active participation.
I called up personally many of the participants who attended the programme through phone and got very positive feedback.

I am planning to send mails to all of them asking for their feedback through which we can take further action.

As a person who conceived, planned, developed, organized this event it is imperative to share my views about this programme’s positives and negatives.

Message : The idea and the message was conceived first and the songs and sequence have been carefully developed to suit the message. The crux of the message is to drive home the point that Shri MSV who managed to create and deliver one of the greatest and novel idea of how to conceive a music for a situation by adopting a newer and fresher approach during the time when ragas were considered as the ultimate for music composition. But at the same time it was also considered to drive home the point that Shri MSV never compromised values of music though he adopted a revolutionary method by removing raga structure. Once the idea is propagated, then we can only hope that somehow this would create an interest for others to consider, accept or reject and come out with a much better explanation.

It is on this basis some technical informations have been deliberately inserted and I was well aware of how much time it is going to take and this has been clearly communicated to the orchestra, msvtimes.com core group and my fellow anchor Mr. Vatsan. It was also very clearly explained at that time that three of the songs ‘Anbe Vaa’ ‘Yamuna Nadhi inge’ and ‘ ‘Malligai en Mannan Mayangum’ would take more time for explanation and we would compensate time in other songs so that the whole speech doesn’t become lengthier.

During that discussion Mr. Ramki suggested that since it involves some technical discussions, it is better we can call some students from Music College. This was a great idea and I met and invited the Dy. Director for Arts and Culture, Music College, Greenways Road and requested to send some students. I am very grateful to him that he was present in the programme till the end and had sent around 20-30 of his students from Music college, Green ways Road, Raja Annamalai Mandram, and Queen Marrys‘ College. I was extremely happy to receive a call from him the next day morning and he congratulated me for having conducted such a wonderful programme successfully and also assured to organize programme in their college in future.

Time Schedule : It was carefully planned to start the programme sharp 5.30 p.m considering the duration of the concept. However, unfortunately due to the late arrival and non arrival of Orchestra members we required some time to reorganize. In the process, 5 songs had to be axed. However, we understood that carrying a programme beyond 9 p.m should be avoided in future.

Facilities : Here, I need to thank all our Forum members who rose to the occasion and organized the facilities as far as possible. It was very unfortunate that we never expected that the level of AC was not upto the mark, even after many follow ups. This being the first programme after the renovation of the Hall it was not expected. I received a feed back when I called a participant that this was the reason he and few others left eventhough they liked the programme.

Orchestra: I need to commend and offer my sincere thanks to Mr. Sai kumar of Sai Sangeeth Prakruthi who have spent enormous time and energy for planning, taking notes, rehersal etc. They were also very cooperative to us when some corrective actions need to be taken. All these happened because Mr. Sai Kumar being my childhood friend, promised me that he will render all help and co-operation without seeing Ego and commercial interest as this is being done for a noble cause. Infact he charged on Cost price basis rather than Sale price.

At this juncture I need to convey my gratitude and thanks especially to Mrs. Jayasri (who accepted our invitation at the last moment) and Mr. Kovai Murali who based on my decision and request decided to participate in the orchestra which was one of the reasons for the successful performance of the orchestra.

Anchoring: Keeping the concept in mind, the points were very carefully taken, presented to the core crew, orchestra. Once this was finalized the anchoring was done as per the concept. However while all other things were rehearsed the anchoring had never been rehearsed. While myself and Mr. Vatsan who had 3 meetings for this purpose.. I conveyed the concept, songs, song sequence etc. (which was prepared by me only) during the first meeting and asked Mr. Vatsan to present his points of view. Though this has been discussed in the second meeting, since Mr. Vatsan didn’t come prepared with complete points all this was finalized in the third meeting which happened only on 14.4.2010, the programme day at 1.30 p.m. Because of this reason I reprogrammed the anchoring and proposed myself to be a reactive anchor rather than a proactive anchor. However, Kudos to Mr. Vatsan who despite having limited time for preparation, performed extremely well which was one of the main reason for the success of the programme. However, I also managed to drive home the salient points which was the main purpose of this programme.

Our Master’s reaction : I am extremely happy to note that our beloved Shri MSV had appreciated our programme. He was especially praising about the selection of songs which he conveyed on the Dias itself. As a follow up he also called up Mr. Ramki, Mr. Mohan Nair (son in law of Shri MSV), Thumba Sekar and conveyed his happiness about the selection of songs.

To conclude, I wanted to share an incident which happened to me which triggered me to come out a concept like this. Few months before I happened to see old film songs book were being sold at the platform. There were list of Books like TMS songs, PS songs, MGR songs, Sivaji songs, Rajini songs, Illayaraja songs, ARR songs. My eyes were curiously looking for any of MSV/VR songs, but none were there. This really drove me to consistently propagate the values of his music and to change the situation.
So, I decided to give bitter medicine along with sugar. Even if a drop of medicine works the disease can be cured. Finally, if the programme is a success then we all share and if there is any failure or fault I solely take the responsibility being the person who conceived and promoted this idea.

Your feedback in this regard is solicited

Thanks

N. Y. Murali
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murali and the team ,

i am sorry i could not make as i was held up since my son had been
discharged from hospital and convalesing from jaundice .

have you videogrqaphed the show and can i have the CD if done ?

it can be even to sold to our members and little fund can be raised for the next event
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i reserve my congratulations to murali and vatsan for the 100 th programme .

i am really happy for murali & family , because . inspite of reservations, restrictions , the family really worked day and night for the success , and achieved the same

but i really wanted to applaud the devotion of LAKSHMI , who played keyboard inspite of fever . she took tablets , but still proceeded.

hats off to her . such devoted fans , would take care for the future

hats off lakshmi
ragasuda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Ms. Dharani, d/o Sri Soundararajan, presented the song "Velli Mani Osaiyile" from the film Iru Malargal, in the Nadhamenum Kovilile programme. Here is the link for the video of the song:'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPPw12McMM

Raghavendran
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Wonderful Programme. Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Pardon me for the delayed response. I was very happy to be present at the Thyagaraya Auditorium, T Nagar, on 14th evening, along with my daughter Mathangi, and enjoy the “Nadamenum Kovililey” prog. Thanks to Mr Murali, Mr Vatsan and all others who have been instrumental in bringing this prog to the MSV Fans.

No doubt, the choice of songs was good; but I feel it could have been better. The analyzing of each song by Mr Murali and Mr Vatsan was quite interesting. But some of the audience were getting impatient by the lengthy and too technical analysis, which could have been averted. It could have impressed the music college students, but not the general audience. Please do not mistake me, but I am frankly conveying the opinion of the common audience.

The orchestra was good, but they missed out on many pieces in several songs. In “Adada Enna Azhagu”, the opening trumpet piece was totally missing. While talking of this song, some important facts were missed out by Mr Murali & Mr Vatsan. The song is from the movie “Nee”, which had the honour of showing in its title card “Isai: Mellisai Mannar M S Viswanathan” for the first time. I had seen this film on the first day, first show. Till then, I never knew the initials of Mellisai Mannar.

In the above song, if you listen carefully, the opening Piano bit has some “mystery” effect, as the heroine Jayalalitha, who is a pucca family girl in the movie, is appearing as a club dancer and is watched by her brother-in-law. That is the back-ground of the “mystery” effect on the Piano, which is possible by the one and only MSV. No one else in this world could have brought this effect on Piano. Even the interlude music pieces have been wonderfully composed by the Master with the “mystery” effect.

Kudos to Ms Dharani for her nice singing of “Velli Mani Osayile”, the other young girl (sorry I forgot her name) for rendering “Chithirai Madham” and to young Lakshmi for wonderfully presenting “Indru Vandha Indha Mayakkam” on key board. Coincidentally, my daughter Mathangi has sung this song in the 2nd round of “Hariyudan Nann” on Jaya TV which was telecast yesterday (the repeat will be shown on 26th from 10.30 to 11.30 AM). The main judge Mr James Vasanthan commented “Yen Manadhai Thirudi Vittay Mathangi”. The recording took place about a month back. Strangely, the orchestra were not knowing this song and Mr James Vasanthan had to stop and tell them how to play.

One important piece of information has been missed out by every body. It is the humble speech of our Master. As usual, He was so humble as if He has not done anything great in music, still learning, etc. We were thrilled to listen to Him, as He didn’t speak at the Anniversary function in Dec’09. The highlight of the evening was the Master’s singing “Unakkenna Kuraichal” at the demand of some fans, followed by “Sollathan Ninaikkiren”, which was simply amazing. The voice was so “ganeer” and has still the same “gambeeram” as in the original which was sung by MSV 36 years ago.

On the whole, it was a wonderful evening and I once again thank Mrs & Mr Murali, Mr Sriram Laxman, Prof Raman, Mr Ramki, Mr Sabesan, Mr Raghavendran, Mr Vaidy and all other core members of MSV Times for all their efforts in organizing such a lovely prog.

Please do not mistake me for some of my frank comments. It is not to hurt any one, but to bring forth the opinion/feelings of the common audience, which I could over hear in the auditorium. I only hope it is taken in the right spirit.

Long live MSV and his mesmerizing Music.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Venu Soundarajan,
I thank you very much for your frank comments (Your views and of the mood of the audience). I think the answer lies in your posting itself. The very reason we wanted to have this kind of unique programme is because many of our forum members are not able to understand the nuances of the intricate musical values of our beloved MSV. Music is not like lyrics where if someone does not understand he could understand the meaning from other person who is well versed in Tamil. The intricacies of music has to be demonstrated when we can get some ideas (not complete) about it. it is with this idea and for other reasons we wanted to conduct such kind of programmes.
We made it a point to inform the participants well in advance about this uniqueness of the programme by a write up in ‘The Hindu’(Please see the Hindu report for which link is given in this thread itself). Apart from that a notice was given to the participants about how the programme is going to be. (The notice is also available as a link). Third there was an introduction speech by our Mr. Vaidy, Mr. Raman and Mr. Vatsan who clearly mentioned that this is one of the unique programme and this is a ‘isai aaivu nigaizhchi’.
Another point is that about the lengthiness of our discussion. That is purely left to the type of information we wanted to convey. We were aware of that well in advance because the entire programme is built like that. So we ensured that the average time taken for the discussion balance out the time taken for the songs.
Now if we review the programme it started at 6.00 pm and ended at 10.00 pm which is 240 miniutes (original plan is at 5.30 to 9.30). The total time taken for the songs is 90 minutes hat day is about 90 minutes and myself and Vatsan used another 90 minutes for the discussion. Balance 60 minutes were effectively used for our beloved MSV speech/Lakshman chettiar’s speech/lucky draw/book sales/break etc.
Now with respect to the technical details shared to the participants the whole idea is like this. It is like a hotel trying to serve ‘arusuvai virundhu’ limited meals. All of the people who eat may not like all the 6 tastes. But if they overall like the food then that fine.
I am more than happy if our programme was exactly like this on the Tamil New Year day. Because on this day it is our custom to have ‘Paayaasam’ as well as ‘Veppampoo (NEEM FLOWER) Pachadi’
With regards to your daughter singing, I know her ability because I was one of the participant for the ‘kalangnar TV Rasigan programme’ when she sung. I shall contact you in future programme for her to sing a song. This is one of our main idea and the matter we convey to the participants is that not only aged but youngsters are also enjoying MSV’s music.

Regards,

N Y MURALI
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Clarification. Reply with quote

Dear Mr Murali,

Thanks for your prompt response. You need not have gone in to so much details including giving the Hindu Link, the notice sent to members, etc, as the purpose of the programme was well known to all of us. Your efforts and motive were very well understood and appreciated. I had already conveyed my compliments & thanks in my earlier mail. I had only pointed out the feelings of some of the audience who felt that analysis for some of the songs were very lengthy and too technical. I once again beg to state that I wanted to convey the feelings of the general audience, which may be useful to you for future.

Please once again accept my compliments for presenting us such a wonderful programme and we look forward to many more in future. My daughter will only be too happy to sing in future programmes.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is a regular watcher of Airtel Supersinger, Junior, Senior etc. Often forced to listen to this, I would constantly get irritated both by the songs and by the hollow comments of the judges especially Srinivas, Unnikrishnan and Sujatha. The present judges are better. Mano is clever and can articulate even empty observations to make them sound impressive. His hitrionoc talents and sense of humor also help him in making a good impression. Chitra is a copybook judge making notes and commenting on specifics rather than canting aimlessly. And Subha is ok, at least being brief and not trying to act smart.

But this week was a pleasant surprise. 4 days of phenomenal show, with MSV present on the first three days. Apart from the fact that the song selections were brilliant, the way the singers, the judges and the audience enjoyed the songs was remarkable. The children were enjoying the songs sung by others also, though they might not have heard these sons earlier.The awe, the joy and the reflexive noddings of the heads by the judges were a sharp contrast from the mechanical and contrived behaviour of the judges all along.

Mano was profuse in his praise for MSV. He called him , 'Appa' and praised each and every song. It was news to me that he had worked as an assistant under MSV.

But I feel that MSV was a bit harsh in judging the performers. He can't expect the perfection that he would command from the professional singers,rom these children. The boy Shravan sang 'intha mandraththil oedi varum' beautifully but MSV said that the upper shatjamam needed improving. When Nithyasree sang 'adi ennadi ulagam,' MSV remarked that she could have chosen a better song (like Muththana muththallavo). He probably did not like a small girl singing a song with the theme that justifies breaking rules and traditions!

The honoring of musicians like Abu Gabriel, Prasad, Ganesh Krupa, Thumba Sekar, Sarangapani, Shyam Joseph etc. ended into emotional outpourings on either side, with tearful scenes. MSV was gracious in talking about his early days and how his musicians helped him in various ways. Sarangapani (S/o Nanjappa Reddiyar) appeared a little cold in the beginning but after MSV narrated his visiting Nanjappa Reddiar late night to hand over the award given by MSV times and Nanjappa Reddiar passing away the next morning, Sarangapani broke down. Abu Gabriel remarked that MSV desrved more than a Dhadha Palke award but regretted that he was not recognized at the all India level.

It was another 'Nathamennum Kovilile' from Monday to Thursday of this week. In addition to the songs mentioned by SRS, sung on that day, the other songs sung during the week are,
Adi ennadi ulagam
Unnidaththil ennaik koduththen
Mannavane azhalaama
Thillu mullu thillu mullu
Aadaatha nanamum undoe?
Kannan ennum mannan peraich chollach chollaa
enna enna vaarththaigaloe?
Nenjathththile nee netru vantdhaay
Thedinen vandhadhu

It will be business as usual from next week with cacophonies taking their places, which they had reluctantly vacated for a week. But I am sure that the children who have been initiated into MSV's music and have discovered the joy of singing MSV's songs, will keep their interest in MSV's music alive for a long time. This week's program will also remain the best week of all Airtel super Singer programs to be preserved in the annals of history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: