"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poomagal Meni Kulungidum Kaalam....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chandrashekaran Subramani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Poomagal Meni Kulungidum Kaalam.... Reply with quote

I am in a state of shock, Pleasant surprise since noon Saturday, 9th Jan 10.

It was something similar to the house wife and child (in Indian Home load add) when they were walked into their new dream house.. a state which i was in when I saw the first scene of Jurasic Park.. the copper flies over sea for few mins and then appears a valley, completely green, a streak of water fall and then the landing of chopper...

I decided to play songs in alphebet P and came the song after Ponnezhil Poothahu... "Poomagal meni"... It took about 30 mins for me to return to my self... by then i had played the song as many times i could.. few times only to hear the opening flute and Visweswaran's Santoor... WOW... I didnt know what to do... i called my friend ramesh in chennai (who was on his way to ATM to draw cash), made him listen to this song over phone... I didnt even ask if i can taken his time.. and towards end i though he would abuse me... but he started sharing his experience when he heard the song first...

Coming back to my experience...

As Janaki sang line by line.. the first three in different pitches.. the tabala (or mridangham) goes along raising the pitch...

Tell me something, does MSV take multiple avtar's and play all the instruments or all the musicians merge with him when they come in contact with him? What a synergy!!!!!!

As the song wen on, there were only three dying movements in my body.. tapping fingers, shaking head and closing eyes... Had i played the song continuously for some more time, i would have slipped into a state of coma...

Probably surgeons should play MSVs song before a surgery.. this will help silence the patient instead of anesthesia...

GOD....what an experience..
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful shock well expressed

i have heard years back and the happiness i felt these days is in multiples

unfortunately the film did not get released and the song was never used if i am right

what a work .
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Subramani,
Welcome to the world of shock treatment by Mellisai Mannar. He is very famous for shock treatment - pleasant surprise - sweet killing -- you can go on describing in your vocabulary...

Kasthuri Films who produced Par Magale Par and Thaenum Paalum with NT, produced another movie, Gnaayirum Thingalum. K.B. Sundarambal had a prominent role to play. The gramaphone records were immense hits with the song Pattinum melliya poovidhu topping. It was featured in top TEN for many weeks in the vivid bharathi Then Kinnam programme.

The following are the songs from Gnaayirum Thingalum:
1. Pattinum Melliya pennidhu - TMS, P Susila
2. Panneer poove paadhi nilaave - SV Ponnusamy, LR Easwari
3. Kaetta varam - K.B.S.
4. Poomagal meni - SJ
5. Ninaivugale nillungal - TMS

2 more songs, I amn't able to recollect immediately.

Of these the no.1 is undoubtedly, Poomagal meni. MM was himself very fond of this song and felt this did not materialise. And this song, particularly the vasantha kalam, impressed himself so much, that he used its theme in different tune in the film Dharmam Engey, the song being Naangu Kaalamum Unadhaaga.

If any of you are able to get and listen this lengthy piece from Dharmam Engey, it would be one of the best proofs that you would become more ardent towards MM.

Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a beuatiful morning and you woke up to a flute being played with absolute freshness and followed by the happiness that is generated by that an instrument being followed and it gives the feeling of a river flow .
believe me this is the actual feeling i get when i listen to the opening of the song poomagal meni

what a classic work and how a mind can think of such a tune at the very seeing of the lyric and how it had time to create a tune and how it imagined the placement of instruments and what yardstick he has in his mind about the specific singer .

what a wonderful man he is and his works are .

in this specific song the pause and the interludes are a point to prove that the life is everywhere in the product

for example if this lyric is replaced in some other tone it will be still effective, if the song is played in instruments only it will again be great and lastly even if it is sung with no instruments it will sound excellent .

oh god what a creation our master is and what a creator he himself is
baroque

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

பூமகள் மேனி...... ஞாயிறும் திங்களும் - 1967

Underlying melody is the same as உனது மலர் கொடியிலே எனது மலர் மடியிலே (பாதகாணிக்கை-1962) which is the same tune as பூவாகி காயாகி கனிந்த மரம் ...பானுமதி...Annai(1962) which is the same tune as

dheere se aaja....albela -1951...C.Ramchandra(chitalkar) melancholy..Lata's masterpiece with the minimalistic orchestration-enduring tune indeed!

Vinatha.
Chandrashekaran Subramani

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendous

Infact the first one stuck me was Dheere se aaja.. and i went played it from net...

Anyways, the song Poomaghal on my system again now..
baroque

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT Smile
I am enjoying VINNAI THAANDI VARUVAAYA.
This day belongs to A.R.Rahman Smile
vinatha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: