"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kan pona pokkile kaal pogalaamaa - Western music at its best
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Kan pona pokkile kaal pogalaamaa - Western music at its best Reply with quote

The 30 second splendid piano play was never heard in All India Radio. ( thanks to vinyl records of yesteryears ) but we are fortunate now to see the visual / audio delight thanks to the advent of internet .

Yes, I am referring to the one and only KAN PONA POKILE KAAL POGALAAMA from PANAM PADAITHAVAN, the evergreen hit song which is very famous for various reasons :

1.A typical philosophical song of Makkal Thilagam giving a solid message
2.An object lesson on how to apply a piano and create a musical magic
3.A good situational song
4.The tune, the orchestration , the singing – all way ahead of times then.

Actually , the starter part of the piano is a nice a prelude to make Manohar swiftly come in & join hands with Sowcar Janaki to play the party dance .

As they move away together , the real class part comes, the perfect rhythm for party dancing which normally could be seen in Hollywood movies in the 60s and 70s.

A handsome MGR , playing the piano with ease and with a wry smile towards Sowcar & it says all.

Now the group violin ( may be the legendary Henry Daniel ) part intercepts in brief & the piano goes behind for a change !

TMS starts in a mild mannered way – Kan pona pokile kaal pogalamaa ?? but goes on the high for Manam pona pokile ( probably MGR wished to caution very strongly ? ! ) & back to normal mode for – Manidhan pona padhayai !

Beautiful . How carefully & meticulously , like a sculptour , crated a song !

The first interlude consists violin & some mind blowing chorus before TMS resumes on a high pitch – NEE PARTHA PARVAIGAL KANAVODU POGUM .

Nee sonna varthaigal - normal

Oor partha unmaigal – High again

Unaraamal povorku - normal !!

The repeat of Unaramal povorku is to seamlessly loop back to Pallavi

Vow wonderful structuring !!

The second interlude is all class as this time, flute begins its run , complemented by violin & SUDDENLY THE SOLO VIOLIN ! superb imaginative work .
And for this, there will be DOUBLE BASS guitar backing .

The brush drumming all through is another example of great presence of mind .

By the way, who played that solo violin ? Was it Sri T.N.Mani or the legendary Henry Daniel or the great TKR himself !! ?

As the song moves to the 3rd charanam, Mellisai Mannar’s penchant favourite instrument of the 60s – THE ACCORDION steps in this time with a beautiful flourish & the chorus again before MGR finally goes to THIRUNDHADHA ULLANGAL IRUNDHENNA LAABAM.

This song was actually written by Valee & many thought that it was by Kavignar Kannadasan. Makkal Thilagam movies always carried a good thought provoking song & this one should should be ranked amongst the very best of that category

This situation song was created for giving a message that one should not get carried away by western practices , life style , culture but stick to our traditional culture & lead the life of a good woman being absolutely Indian !

And the real beauty is that a western type song / orchestration was applied to give this striking message ! So much of thought process must have been made those years !

Back to the song . All through the song, a consistent rhythm is being maintained but some beautiful / mind blowing ludes have been structured & given as a wonderful package.

This song I should say that western orchestration at its best .

And it was way ahead of times then.

Watch the song here :

http://mgrpart2.tripod.com/aaa5.ram
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think MSV gave another outstanding number to NT in ENGA MAMA. (interms of mind blowing orchestra while comparing to KAN PONNA)

ELLORUM NALLAM VAZHA NAAN PADUVEN. Excellent piano /violin /chrous work in this song .

Beautiful . How carefully & meticulously , like a sculptour , crated a song
Balaj, even chrous part also nicely arranged in that song . If you notice MSV gave finishing touch with violin and accordion as soon as chrous ends in each stanza.

Thanks for beautifiul writing.

regards
ramesh
vishwas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently When I was in US for a month or so, I visited a Mall where a person was playing Piano at the centre of the Mall. The tune reminded me of this song ELLORUM NALLAM VAZHA NAAN PADUVEN. What a fusion of the western tune to suite an (South) Indian movie situation by MSV, I was wondering. He achieved it so early- in the 60s. A marvellous adaptation no MD has been able to acheive so far
baroque

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kan pona …..
What a stunning waltz melody!
Fantastic narration, Sir!

The movie is filled with gorgeous musicals each one is distinct in style!
paruvathil konjam...LRE stunner
andha maapillai... Attractive
thannuyir pirivathai... what a shenai lude
maanikka thottil angirukka, pavalakodiyil Emotive songs!

NO monotony in Shri.MSV songs!

How about ‘paruvathil mayakkam…’ by LRE! Anubhavam pudhumai… same tune!
Seductive musical, with jazzy- waltz, gorgeous prelude , mayakkum tune, stylish trumpet passages, flute melodies, piano fill ins, guitar strumming, violin melody … what a postlude!
Stylish showcase of talent!

I yet to move on to ‘andha maapillai…’ foot tapping, catchy music forever arrest your heart! I am not going to rush, will indulge the musical aasai theera!! Dhool kelappara!

Thanks, please write about the movie panam padaithavan!
Love love love, Vinatha.
shankar_r

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Balaji, the piano is at its best. Does anyone knows who the pianist was? Also were the chords set by MSV or someone else? Is the sheet music available anywhere?

The accordion after the initial piano, set to a syncopated brush drum, is ethereal. I think a xylophone provides the bass during this section.

The choreography was also superb. I liked it when Manohar asking Sowcar to dance with him was timed with what seemed to be an accidental note ending of the arpeggio, hinting at the awkwardness of the request.

I am not taken in by the lyrics though. Looking back, it seems to be a bit holier than thou and hypocritical, unless you happen to be an ardent MGR fan (I'm not). Maybe ok for school kids.

One thing I have come across is, many of these fine songs happen to have a waltz beat. Eg., Ellorum Nalam Vazha, Unnidam mayangugiren (V Kumar), or "En kaadhali yaar sollava" (Shankar Ganesh?). And also the brush drumming. Too bad, we don't get more of these anymore in these times.

I also like "Yaar andha nilavu" in Santhi. Had a very western melody to it.
shankar_r

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: other songs.. Reply with quote

I would like to add that "Chitira cholaigale" in Nann Yaen Pirandhen by Shankar Ganesh has parallels with KPPKP.

Both are set in waltz, with the same key signature (except for one accidental), and both feature MGR in an evening/party setting, with butlers moving around.

And the lyrics are again incongrous (supporting labour, communism and such), in such an atmosphere. But thats MGR for you..
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kan pona song has few more beauties
the feel tms had given , synchronization of classical and western by guru , apt lines of vali ,neat picturasation , expression of culture
it is the best of the times
what a team work and the meeting of minds and its beauties
shankar_r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: KPPKP piano midi file Reply with quote

Hi,

I have transcripted the opening piano part of KPPKP into a midi file. Those who want a copy can PM me. If you have Cakewalk or similar software you should be able to view the staff notation also.

The scale is Bb major, there are 5 chords that occur at the very beginning - Gm, Bb, F, Cm and G#. Although they are inverted, I couldn't make out the inversions. Also the chords at the begiining are arpeggiated, but I made them straightforward to keep the staff notation simple.

I used Sonic, a piano transcriptor to obtain the notes. Its output only vaguely corresponded to the actual notes, so it took quite a bit of work to get the right ones.

My next project would be the piano intro of "Unnidam mayangugiren", but that's a V Kumar song, so wouldn't find a place on this forum!
shankar_r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Link Reply with quote

Ram

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: KPPKP piano midi file Reply with quote

Dear Shankar,

Nice to know about your MIDI file transcription. I've downloaded from the link you mentioned. I'll have my laptop problem corrected by end of August. I'll listen to that and let you know the comments. Your interest on MIDI is amazing. Keep it up!

shankar_r wrote:
My next project would be the piano intro of "Unnidam mayangugiren", but that's a V Kumar song, so wouldn't find a place on this forum!

Well, we have a separate section for the Tamil Film Composers. You are welcomed to post your analysis under a separate thread for V.Kumar.

MSV's voice found its place in V.Kumar's music (Unakkenna Kuraichhal... Nee Oru Raja). Then how can MSVTimes deny V.Kumar's music ???

Please go ahead and post your work on V.Kumar's song!
Ram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to this song now.... What an amazing number ??? One can never even imagine this type of Melody with Kalyani traces with Splendid Orchestration.... Absolutely fabulous melodic flow through-out the song!!!

MSV is the Master of Melodies.... I really mean it !!!!!!!

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Kanpona Pokkilae - WHAT A SONG!!!! Reply with quote

Dear All,

Shall I take up this song for technical observation if I am permitted to do so as it is already analysed WONDERFULLY WELL by Balaji the great and Mr. R.Shankar. By the way Mr. R.Shankar kindly come out with technical analysis of the many of gems of MSV so that we can exchange our knowledge.

Awaiting your reply.

With love
Sampat
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanpona Pokkilae - WHAT A SONG!!!! Reply with quote

S.SAMPAT wrote:
Shall I take up this song for technical observation if I am permitted to do so..
All are awaiting that... please go ahead!
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanpona Pokkilae - WHAT A SONG!!!! Reply with quote

S.SAMPAT wrote:
Dear All,

Shall I take up this song for technical observation if I am permitted to do so

சம்பத், இது என்னங்க அநியாயம்..?.

இந்தக்காலத்தில் 'ரீமிக்ஸ்' என்ற பெயரில் பாடலையும் மெட்டையும் அப்படியே கபளீகரம் செய்வதற்கே யாரும் பெர்மிஷன் கேட்பதில்லை. நீங்க என்னடான்னா Technically Analyse பண்றதுக்கே பெர்மிஷன் கேட்கிறீங்க...

ஜமாய்ங்க சார்...
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Kanpona pokkilae Reply with quote

Dear All,

WHAT A GREAT SONG. I can not analyse Manam pona pokkil. Kindly excuse me. It will definitely take much time to take even congnizant of what is what. Please pardon for the delay. I ll try to post the write up at the earliest.

M/s.Ramki,Vaidy,Sharadha, Prof Raman, SRS,NVS,Balaji, R Shankar
Bhaskar,Venkat,Jeyaram and others. WHAT AN WESTERN ARRANGEMENT. ALAI KATTI POTTIDUM MELODY AND ORCHESTRATION!!!!!!!!!!
Brovo!! Since there are many chords involed and passed with great speed, I am carefully try to pinpoint the chord as accurate as possible. I am bound to err. It is highly challanging. If I err I am bound to be corrected.

With Love
Sampat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: