"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The brilliance of xylophone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

"Janitha..." is indeed shot in the Far East, Singapore...I think.
Was listening to "ninaithhAl sirippu varum" from Bhama Vijayam on the way to work this morning. What wonderful usage of xylophones !!! Especially in the first interlude, a violin passage is followed by that of a flute deeply intoxicated and going through a psychadelic trip !!! People "tripping" on LSD are supposed to go through that kind of an experience, very surreal, where they are able to "touch" music, touch "love" or anything abstract. Notes are played on the xylophone gently, almost persuading the charanam to start. Xylophones when deployed properly certainly bring to impart an ethereal experience, an ideal fit for songs made for dreamy, reflective, "swirled senses" disposition. Hear it in this song acting as a stimulant for the charanam to start and you wouldn't want to hear any other instrument in its place, in this song, at that particular point within the song. What does this show except immaculate presence of composing mind, sense of placement and MSV's abilities to render a sense of holistic completeness to songs. These delectable flourishes are much like the mother casting a final, surveying glance at her little school going girl to check on her overall presentability, before she runs off to school. MSV's flourishes lead to consummation !!!
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
You have brought the song before me, and I could feel the surveying looks on MM's face before the final delivery in your explanation!! True, when others handled xylophone, it sounded ordinary; it is a mastery with him, in his hands!
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
To include those magical numbers with a xylophone by our MM which have not been (probably) shot in foreign locales; we started with the "pongum kadalosai".

Pongum kadalosai has been a song with a complete flurry of xylophone notes, locally shot.

There is yet another Vani Jairam number that I do not recollect well. It starts with words like "pudumai penngal..." and beautiful xylophone hurries through some of the interludes. Of course, even the beginning starts with these heavy notes, if I remember right. I do not know the details of this song. This song is different from others in that MM uses xylophone with an ease that runs with the speed of the song. Let us try and recollect this song.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Your descriptions of the background scores of our MM are very energetic, as vibrant as his music itself. I have noticed a sense of urgency in your comments (here and elsewhere), and I sincerely feel it as an expression of the quickness of thoughts flowing in your senses when you think and imagine these songs and the mood it generates during those precious moments!! It is nice to group those thoughts, especially on BGM portions, and can become a wonderful collection later.
I used to actually feel the beautiful locales when I listened to many of those songs with xylophone during my school days. Especially, some of those which evoked a sense of being transported into another world. It was then that I used to sense that the song would have been shot in some beautiful location, may be a foreign country also. It turned out to be a reality very often. I had started listing them, trying to add my thoughts of imagination, and found that many of them were shot in such places.
But then, the other songs with xylophone also did carry lots of other imagination from our master, when it was not a foreign country. The songs cited by you form that category, I suppose, in addition to some of them listed by me and our other friends earlier.
Thanks for the comments,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: