"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master of variety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Master of variety Reply with quote

1950 to 1970 is considered as the golden period of Tamil Film industry and during this period music composed in both Tamil and Hindi films were of highest quality in terms of their melody, the lyrical content, rendition and what not.

In Hindi filmdom there were nearly 30 music directors though prominent among them were nearly 15 to 20. Each music director has their own style and way of composition. A tune of OP Nayar, Khayam, Ravi, SD Burman, Madan Mohan, Naushad can easily be identifiable and songs with heavy orchestration is generally tuned by Shankar Jaikishan, Laxmi-Pyre, RD Burman, to name some.

But in Tamil Film circle there were hardly 5 to 6 prominent music directors with MSV in the lead as always and of-course with the combination of the versatile TK Ramamurthy. But the absence of lot many music directors was not felt in TFI as MSV in his compsition had all the varieties that were the hallmark of Roshan, Madan Mohan, Ravi, Naushad, Khayam, Hemanth Kumar, the duo music directors aforementioned.

In films like Karnan, Kalai kovil, chandrodhayam MSV used several carnatic raagas that Naushad gave in Dil Diya Dard Liya, Baiju Bawara,
Mughle Azam, Saaj aur Awaaj which carried plenty of hindusthani raagas.

In Films like Anbe Vaa, Sivanda Man, Pudhiya Paravai, Kudi erunda kovil
MSV employed great musicians that one is associated with the compositions of Shankar Jaiikishan, Lakshmikanth Pyerelal, Kalyanji anandji, RD Burman.

If Madan Mohan, Roshan, Ravi, OP Nayar, Salil chowdry, Khayam, Chitragupta, Sri Ramachandra, Jaidev compositions were always sweet because melody was soaked deep so also there are hundreds of melodious songs that was composed by MSV especially during 1960s.

I wonder is there any variety of music that MSV has not composed the answer is none. He has composed quwali type also and even gazal
(mowname paarvayal oru pattu pada vendum).

Similary I am also dead sure that no instrument MSV has left untouched or not used in his creations be such instruments invented,manufactured either in East or in West.

As a person who has been hearing hindi film music for morethan 4 decades and not a day pass on without my tuning to vivid bharathi
I can categorically say that MSV is greatest and the variety he gave is incomparable. This I say notwithstanding the fact the great contribution Naushad, Madan Mohan, have made just to name a few.

The height MSV has scaled is too tall for any other music director to come near both from Hindi and Tamil film industry.

Comments and brickbats are welcome though I expect not any bouquet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: