"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flute's influence in MM's songs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Srikumar,
You are so right in pointing out that MSV uses flute in many ways and effectively to convey the mood of the song. Very fantastic thread.
There are too many examples but the ones which touched me were In the introduction music to
"Yar Sirithal enna" and "Mayakkama Kalakkama" by PBS.

Technically I have been thrilled by the way he uses

1] Double flutes playing in parts.

2] Flute in higher pitch playing the notes of the chord in
arpeggio style. Sometimes in a staccato, which is so difficult to render.

3] The flute for a counter melody for the harmony.

The artists in the orchestra were each a Genius on their instruments.
Mr Nanjappa was the main flutist I believe. I hope others could give more information about flutists in his team and the analysis of the way he has used the flute.
Chakravarthy
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Speak to Members Reply with quote

Dear friends,
There are any number of songs where MSV has used flute to a mesmeric best. Two old numbers come to me in a flash
The opening note for 'RojAmalarErAjakumari ;"Veerathirumagan"
'avaL mella sirithtAL' ; "pachai ViLakku".In the second number the notes are extremely quick and dexterously played almost deciding the fate of the song. It must have been by Nanjappa reddiar. Also the other day MSV recalled how he punished Reddiar for the latter's late arrival for a recording by asking him to play the rapid note found in 'nilavukku en mEl enadi kobam' of "policekAran magaL". By the way there was another flautist Guna singh equally capable, but Nanjappa was a class to say the least.
Incidentally it would have turned out better if the thread has been named MM's influence of using the flute in songs, in a lighter vein of course.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,
Mr. Nanjappa was unbelievable at times. I recall the flashy flute piece in the prelude of the song 'Aval oru navarasa naadagam' in which he creates the counter melody for the violin piece. In the same song in the first interlude he plays the chord progression in high speed.

N Y MURALI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: