"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV AND SHENOI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: MSV AND SHENOI Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
The instrument ‘Shenoi’ is a wonderful instrument. Most of the MDS have restricted themselves to use of ‘Shenoi’ only for the pathos which is a pity. But MSV used this instrument to a greater effect.
Being a north Indian instrument ‘Shenoi’ is equivalent to our south Indian ‘Nadhaswaram’ and hence been used in marriages in the north. MSV understood this and hence used this instrument for all the emotions.

The best usage of this instrument was in the song ‘Iravum Nilavum’ in which the twin shenoi was used one overlapping the other. MSV himself mentioned in an interview that the twin Shenoi was played by the great Bharat Ratna fame ‘Ustad Ali Khan’ and MSV’s regular player Mr. Satyan. Mr. Satyan has played for most of his songs. We can understand his brilliance only when we recall his contributions. With great respect to ‘Ustad Ali Khan’ I want to mention if Mr. Satyan played for classical programs instead in the TFM he could have been showered with many awards like ‘Usatad’.

For me the best ‘Shenoi’ is in the song prelude in the song ‘Kannan Pirandhan Engal Kannan Pirandhan’. MSV showed how to use the instrument in the north Indian style which even many north Indian composers have not shown.

The usage of shenoi in the song ‘Madura Nagaril Thamizh Sangam’ is another brilliant example. MSV used the shenoi in all the interludes but each time differently.
See how shenoi gets in to the song during the interlude of the third charanam when the humming was about to end.

The usage shenoi in the song ‘Ullathil Nalla Illam’ is sole stirring.
The same instrument is used as an an expression of ‘Longing for love’ emotion in the song ‘Ennurir Thozhi’.
Again the instrument brings the festive mood in the song ‘Manjal Konda Mugam Mari’.

The usage of the instrument takes us to the end of pathos in the song ‘Nann Unnai Azhaikkavillai’

Again opposite emotion is brought out in the song ‘Neeye Dhan Ennakku Manavatti’.

Most of the MDs would have used the nadhaswaram for the marriage dream of a girl in the song ‘Unnithal ennai Koduthen’. But MSV thought different. He used the shenoi to the greatest effect.

There are two examples in which I noticed MSV using the shenoi for a marriage scene. One is in the movie ‘Karnan’ in which he brilliantly used the raga ‘Behag’ in the Hindustani style.

The other is in the movie ‘Kai Kodutha Deivam’ in which he uses the instrument for the marriage scene of SSR and KRV.

The list could be endless if we start writing about the shenoi usage in MSV songs. MSV himself mentioned about the experience he had with the ‘Ustad’ during their first meeting when the ‘Ustad’ played the ‘shenoi’ piece of the song ‘Aalaya Maniyin Osaiyai Nann Ketten’

I was very much moved when I noticed that our site has earmarked a separate page of the names of all instrument players who played for MSV for his composition. Who ever brought that idea needs to be appreciated as this helps us to know their names as they are one of reasons for the success of MSV.

As has been requested by one the admirers Mr. Sam path we should also post the photographs of them in our site.

Regards,

N Y MURALI
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Shenoi Reply with quote

Dear Murali,

A very good posting.

There are plenty of songs where the Master has beatifully used Shenoi. But to me, the best usage is in "Nilavey Ennidam Nerungathey" from "Ramu". Couple of other golden numbers that readily come to mind are "Velli Mani Osaiyiley Ullam Enum Kovililey" from "Iru Malargal" and "Oorengum Maappillai Oorvalam Veedengum Maavilai Thoranam" from "Shanthi".

Cheers!

Venu Soundar
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Shenoi in Happy Songs. Reply with quote

Dear Sister Malathi,

It’s a good observation.

Yes, Shenoi is basically used in “Pathos” numbers. But our Master has amazingly used it more in Happy songs than Pathos. I can readily list out a few songs:

1. “Velli Mani Osaiyiley” from “Iru Malargal” (which I have already mentioned in my earlier posting)
2. “Ponnonru Kandeyn” from “Padithaal Mattum Podhuma” (what a piece of Shenoi – simply astonishing)
3. “Thaayin Mugam Ingu Nizhalaaduthu” from “Thangaikkaaga”
4. “Thaayennum Selvangal Thaalaattum Deepam” from “Moonru Deivangal”
5. “Kannan Pirandhan Engal Kannan Pirandhan” from “Petraldhan Pillaya”
6. “Vaaraadhiruppano Vanna Malar Kannanavan” from “Pachai Vilakku” (the one and only MSV can think of using Shenoi so beautifully for such a song)

Regards,

Venu Soundar
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Wonderfully written about this instrument. In fact, as Mr.Murali has introduced, it is typically a North Indian instrument for auspicious occasions. When I attended a couple of such marriages in the north, I have seen that a group of shehnai players play together, as a band, complete with lead players, etc. It was a surprise as we normally got to hear this as an instrument for sad occasions due to its routine identification as one in TFM.

As mentioned, is this 'Ali Khan', Ustaad Bismillah Ali Khan? Did he actually play for our MM?

The sadness that pours out in songs such as "Pallakku vaanga ponaen" is equally soothing as much as the joy one derives in hearing "Iravum nilavum".

I think we should recollect the use of Shehnai in MM's album Thrilling thematic tunes. It is impossible to replace such a playing! It has its due place in this album.

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sai Saravanan,
The shenoi player I was refereing is the same mentioned by you. He was one among the twin shoney played in the song 'Iravum Nilavum Malarattume'. The other shenoi player is the late Mr. Satyen who played for MSV regularly.

MSV is very fond of Mr. Satyan. Infact this is one of the reason he was very invloved in the preludes and interludes involving shenoi.

N Y MURALI
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr.Murali Sir!
I am happy to know this about the great Khan playing for MM. I had heard about this, but could never confirm from anyone till now. Frankly, only MM's composing style is actually dominating the twin shehnai rendering, in spite of such great players playing for him! I do not know how he brings the notes out of his mind, especially for shehnai, flute, etc.!
Regards,
Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am not good at identifying the instruments, I may be wrong but I think that shenoy is used in the following songs:
1) Vaaraadhiruppaano (Pachchai Vilakku) I remember to have heard, long time back, someone remarking how V-R have use Shenoy for a song capturing a happy mood (this song is sung on the first night), while the instrument i conventionally played for lamentation.(The continuous playing of Shenoy in the AIR and Dhoor Dharshan on the occassion of some nationalleader's death for days together till 10 years back, had been an object of joke!)

2) Unnai oor kondu azhaikka ther kondu varumaam thendral (Poojaikku Vandha Malar.) This is also on an auspicious occasion of marriage.

3) Oorengum mappillai oorvalam (Shanthi) This song portrays a sad mod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: