"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sontham Yeppothum Thodarkathai Thaan - Another version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Sontham Yeppothum Thodarkathai Thaan - Another version Reply with quote

Dear all
Hope things are fine in everyone's end. I just got busy with my work and hence could not participate in the forum. (Blame it on the economical situation !!! Wink ).

Well, I happened listen to this track lately and really got so mad about the same.... A totally different version with rich orchestration and probably the situation itself is different in the movie. I have not seen the movie nor the video, yet I could imagine that the is set for a romantic duet.

First let us listen to the usual track that is available in our website,

http://www.msvtimes.com/music/songs/s.html

The song starts with a guitar strike (purists, pardon my vocabulary... Wink) and PS hums along with a flute with a very subtle bongo supporting their rythm when the prelude ends with the accordion note and PS starts the song,

"SONTHAM EPPOTHUM THODAR KATHAI THAAN..."

It is really nice to hear this line when it is repeated with the background violins. (These violins our Master's trademark, aren't they ?) Cool

TMS joins ,

"Yengey Sendralum thedi..."

An acoustic guitar beautifully supports PS in the next line...,

"Yennai Unnodu Sertha Deivam Ezhuthum Puthu Kathai Idhu.."

The song seems very normal until the pallavi and our Master never fails or misses any chance when he gets to prove his prowess and strikes the right chord with a rich unprecedented orchestration in the interludes !!!

I usually admire and love this version of the song for its amazing BRASS section in the interludes. The timing and arrangement of the brass notes and the western choir are so perfect.

The choir and the brass section start together at the same time. Subsequently, the former takes the lead when brass section becomes subtle in the background and joins majestically at the ending notes of the choir. At the end, both join together as they started whichleaves an indelible impression on the listener !!!

The listener feels, dreams and finds himself in a different world with his most lovable girl where angels and the celestial stars join in celebrating their love by dancing around both of them !! The dreams are fragile and so this part of the interlude. It just lasts for 20 seconds of the total 35 seonds. But when he comes to his senses back it gives him immense happiness having spent those precious moments with the way he wanted. Smile

Oh..how would I call those violins that end the ludes prompting the singer ( TMS ) to start the charanam,

"Maaligai pathumai Maragatha Ilamai manimutham Sinthaatho..."

In the charanams, our Master yet again proves his adept with his trademark sangathis and never misses out even a single chance where he can introduce them. Probably, there might had been many more sangathis flown during the composing. God Only Knows !!

The second interlude is entirely different and hence the choir. No repetitions except for the the violins that mark the end of the interlude prompting TMS to start,

"Kodai Mayakkam Kulithaal Theerum... "

Well, this song can be analysed and written for pages. But my musical knowledge limits me to go to such an extent.

Let us listen to the second version from the link below which I got to listen recently ,

http://www.esnips.com/doc/78ca1dce-c440-4d3a-9bd5-be3a9d32dc59/Sontham-Yepothum

The song sounds totally different now. The difference is shown from the start to the end. No repetitions from the previous version. Even the tune is changed in so many places with additional sangathis. The lyrics in the charanams are changed.

No choir, the drums replace bongos in many places. Even the violins at the background are altered to support different lines. Yet the song sounds so fresh and realistic.

The most surprising element of this version can be heard when the first line of both the charanams end with a beautiful sangathi !!! I was completely surprised and thrilled on the first time when I listened this sangathi and it compels me to listen the song again and again .

Is this called as "out of the box" thought process, lateral thinking ?

"Vilakkin oliyil sirikkum mugathil jadayil naan kaana....."

But again, the song is completely filled with many more such surprises especially, the second interlude and charanam. I dont have words to express about the second BGM which can only be felt (especially the flute piece) when PS sings the following lines,

"Nilathil padarum pani poongodigal aatril neenthi vara... " and thereafter.

The small notes or fillings that are played after this line make me visualise the scene of a lover girl standing near a small pond with lots of swans around through which she expresses her love to her lover !!
Surprised

It is certain that this song has stood the test of time and will for all the ages to come and would surely remain a mystery to the purists and listeners with the emotion that it instills on them. Laughing Smile

Happy Listening !!! Very Happy

MSV RULES,
VENKAT
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nice to hear new composistion of Master. I felt same way when I heard EN KELVIKK ENNA BATHIL song in UYARTHA MANITHAN. Completley different when I saw that in the movie version.

Interestingly THEDI VARUM THEIVA SUGAM from NIMRUTHU NIL. What a composistion. Even it had two different version and bother are rare GEM.
our professor wrote about this beauty long time back.

regards
ramesh
ragasuda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: versions of the song Reply with quote

Dear friends,
No other music director has given so many variations in the compositions like MSV for innumerable songs. Here version has so many interpretations as far as MSV's style means:
1. A song has two versions in a film: Happy and pathos
2. A song has a reduced version for 78 rpm and original version in the film.
3. A song has one or more versions for a same mood.
Praptham song Sontham eppodum thodarkadhai than belongs to the third category. And there is no pathos. The original 78 rpm record itself came in three versions. Two versions had same bgm but different stanzas, e.g. the stanza maaligai padhumai will feature in one version and vilakkin oliyil will feature in another version. In the third version, the bgm will be different with the vilakkin oliyil as the second stanza.
For the category one, you have umpteen examples. But for the category three praptham is the only one.
And mind you the tune is the same for all the three versions and the tempo too.
But there is another category, category 4, which has more than one version but tunes are different. This too has been done by Mellisai Mannar. And in this category S M Subbiah Naidu has set a precedent in the song Nee Enge En Ninaivugal Enge, which has 3 different tunes.
RAghavendran.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Dear Ram,Mr.Ramesh,Mr.Ragasuda and Mr.Shankar,

Thanks a lot for your response. In fact, it was on a dull Monday morning that I wanted to charge myself while @ work and it was nothing other than our Master's energetic music which could give me what I wanted and it did as usual !!! Once I got charged, it motivated me to write this in the forum and thus bringing in all the postive energy and a great sense of satisfaction !!!

Well, this is a normal routine for many of us, isn't it ?? Cool

Thanks again !!

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Venkat,
Such a memorable song, everlasting in beauty and composition!

I always used to feel that there is a subtle change in Mellisai Maamannar's composing style for this song. It had an unhurried pace, a different style of congo-playing, slightly louder brass...all these made me feel that MM had composed this, deeply immersed in some beautiful reverie himself. We forget ourselves momentarily, and from this dreamland that he took us to, we are brought back to reality only when the choir and violins show up and coalesce into each other. It is a refreshingly different composition; each time we hear, we feel reassured of some unknown distant confidence.

Thanks for comforting us!
Sai Saravanan
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

While listening again and again we can able to hear/visualise new things even after 40 years. Now we have songs awarded for OSCAR in front of us and we can say same or higher quality of songs happened here long back(I am not degrading other MD's here)
I think if OSCAR committee happen to hear MASTER CREATIVITY they might give more number of OSCAR .

Just listen ULLAGUM ENGUM ORE MOZHI from NADODI. Spell bound live orchestra .Amazing use of VIOLIN AND TRUMPHUT.

THALIVA NEENGA SENCHA ORE THAPPU YOU HAVE DONE IT LONG BACK. Sad

regards
ramesh
sivaramakrishnang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: SONTHAM EPPOTHUM THODARKATHAI THAAN... Reply with quote

அன்பரே,
ஒரு பாடலைப் பற்றியும் அதன் இருவிதமான் இசையமைப்பு பற்றியும் சொன்னால் எப்படிப் புரியும்;

தேன்- தித்திக்கும் என்று சொன்னால் அதை சுவைத்தால் தானே தெரியும்!

எனவே சொந்தம் எப்போதும் தொடர்கதை தான்....
பாடலின் இரு வடிவங்களையும் இங்கு தருகிறேன்;
விருப்பமுள்ளவர்கள் டவுன்லோடு செய்து கேட்டு சுவையுங்கள் ;

VERSION - 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjmmmojktg5

VERSION - 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?tdzhz0ocmyi

என்றும் அன்புடன்
சிவராமகிருஷ்ணன்.G
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautifully stated Mr.Shankar!

"Praptham" quality or not...! I am thrilled to realise that MM's music makes us feel proud of ourselves for this great good fortune of listening to MM's music. Much more privileged to know about him, feel his thoughts, and realise his worth! Do not mistake my statement as egoistic (only passionate): 'God has given us (MSVians) discriminatory powers indeed!'

Thanks for making us all feel bold with our heads high!
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: