"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANNAN ORU KOVIL ENDRAAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: ANNAN ORU KOVIL ENDRAAL Reply with quote

Annan oru koil endraal

Today I saw this song played by MSV in the programme ‘Endrum MSV’ in the Mega TV. It was very well sung by Ananthu. It has rekindled my memories about this song. Ever since I heard this song I have always been very emotionally touched by its melody.

This song is in Hindustani style. The way the orchestration involving the sitar, base flute and a set of violins adds enchanting feeling when we hear the musical phrases brought by our guru which could make even a seasoned Hindustani musician proud. Especially the phrase during the end of the charanam ‘adan per paasamandro’ cannot be explained by human being. We have to be in a different state of mind to completely in order to get the full effects of soul brushing feeling this musical phrase can create. Unexplainable ‘bhavams’ have been expressed in this composition.

But at the same time I am unable to resist my temptation to find out the raga of this song. Because I am very sure that this is in a particular raga based. I found out the song is the flowing scale.

Aarohanam
Sa-ri2-ga1-ma1-pa-ni2-sa

Avarohanam
Sa-ni2-pa-ma1-ga1-ri2-sa

I have a book in which there are aarohanam and avarohanam are given for 1500 ragas. I tried to find out from this book. I found this is available as a raga ‘divyaabaranam’ as a janya raga in the family of the mela kartha raga ‘keeravaani’.

But is it this raga? The raga name seems to be a carnatic raga. But the style is Hindustani. I feel that there could be a Hindustani raga name for this raga. Just like ‘dharmavathi’ and ‘madhuvanthi’. If anybody knows about the raga name please inform.

But the raga is a different issue. We can always go emotional if we hear this song. Luckily a rare song which is available in two singers voice by SPB and PS.

Regards,

N Y MURALI
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Murali,
A beautiful song taken up! I do not know if it has been already or being discussed, but, it is always like eating another round of a sweet of your liking.

One important aspect of this song is the alaap given to SPB by MM. It is heavenly! I do not know to which heights he takes us to! His alaap has the careless breezy turnings that adds to the beauty.

The other noteworthy aspect is the tabla. It is enchanting! A perfect hindustani style of playing throughout, for both the versions. One of the most important songs known for MSV's importance to tabla and of course, the beats, I feel.

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: