"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1.4) ‘PAKKATHU VEETTU PARUVA MACHHAAN”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: 1.4) ‘PAKKATHU VEETTU PARUVA MACHHAAN” Reply with quote

1.4) ‘PAKKATHU VEETTU PARUVA MACHHAAN”

This is also in the same scale

The aarohanam is
Sa, ri2, ga2, ma1, pa, da2, ni1, ni2, sa

The avarohanam is
Sa, ni2, ni1, da2, pa, ma1, ga2, ri2, sa

I heard this song first time in the movie ‘Baama Vijayam’. Then onwards I had been mad to this song. Later I found this also belongs to the scale mentioned above.

The melody goes from ‘ni2’ and ‘ni1’ line after line which adds beauty to the melody. The swaram ‘ni2’ speaks when the line comes ‘manasukkulle theyrotta’ and it touches through the swaram ‘ni1’ at the end of the line ‘maivizhiyil vadam pittichhan’. Again it goes to ‘ni2’ when the line ‘marukkozhundu vaasathile’. So when these 2 swarams comes in the alternative lines it gives a scintillating effect to us.

His way of handling the charanam was superb. See the entire charanam.

manasukkulle theyrotta
maivizhiyil vadam pittichhan
marukkozhundu vaasathile
maanthoopil vazhi marichhan,

maanthoopil vazhi marichhu,
mayakkathaye vara vazhaichhan.

As I have mentioned the first line and the third line goes through the swaram ‘ni2’. The second line involves the swaram ‘ni1’... Remember the first and the third line melody is totally different to each other. The same way the third and the fourth line are totally different.

See how he finished the charanam. He repeated the fourth line for the fifth line and completed the sixth line.
This is some what similar to the way we normally explains some incidents. For instance if we describe some travel experience to others how do we explain?

We say like this
‘naan train le yeri uttkarthen’
uttkarthenaaa appuram’

We use this kind of phrasing when we speak to others. See the word uttkarthen, uttkarthennaa is same but used as a continuation. But the tone for ‘uttkarthen’ and ‘uttkarthennaa’ are totally different while we speak.

The same way he has used the lines which the lyrics writer vaali wrote as

maanthoopil vazhi marichhan,
maanthoopil vazhi marichhu,

The melody of the line ‘maanthoopil vazhi marichhan’ and the melody of the line maanthoopil vazhi marichhu are totally different and he finishes with the line mayakkathaye vara vazhaichhan.

The prelude and the interlude are absolutely brilliant. The rhythm is unbelievable.
And about PS voice in this song? Especially when see sings the word ‘mayakkathaye’ with the same ‘bhavam’.

Also in the 3rd charanam see the line ‘oosaiyellam adangividum’. When this line is over we would notice the entire support melody instruments and the rhythm stops completely and PS alone would sing the line ‘aasai mattum adangaadhu’. They start again only when PS repeats the line ‘aasai mattum adangaamal’. He has explained how to give effect for the words.

No words for expressing my emotions. There is every reason for lyrics writer vaali got prominence from the songs of this movie. And quite appropriate for the VR duo got the title as ‘MM’ after this movie.

Regards,

N Y MURALI
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Pick a song and analyze Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Murali,
The song'Pakkaththu veettu paruva machan' is from the movie "KARPAGAM" by KS Gopalakrishnan [1962-63]. It had several significant contributions to TF industry.

1.The movie was KRVijaya's first film. Elevated her to stardom.
2. In that era of 6-8 songs per movie "KARPAGAM" was an exception with just 4 songs.

3. All songs were penned by Valee. Valee had the wonderful break in the sense he was mostly working for MGR movies.

4. There are no male singers in the whole movie.

5. All these songs were rendered by P.Susheela.

6 All songs turned out 'Supe rhits'.

7 MSV-TKR made another mark in this movie too.

So, sir, it was not Bama vijayam- which came much later. [1967]

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof,
I think I have not properly communicated this which created confusion. I know this song is from karpagam but there is a situation in the movie bama vijayam where the actress rajashri singing this song (not offcially movie song) the lyrics fit very well for that situation of bama vijayam' story. I meant that it was the first time I got introduced to this song and then later on I started looking at this more closely.

Hope I have clarfied

Regards,

N Y MURALI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: