"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AvaLukkenru Oru Manam V Cinematography .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: AvaLukkenru Oru Manam V Cinematography . Reply with quote

AvaLukkenru oru manam -V Cinematography

Dear Friends,
The audience generally look for excellent Photograhy, Songs, Music, Comedy and Direction when they think of Sridar product . This has rather been the genral expectation as CVS used to focus on these items.Thus CVS had to augment the best talent and technique in these domains.
The picturization of A O M has been done by U.Rajagopal. The movie was captured on Eastman color stock- a prestegeous colour filmfrom Kodak on a global rating. If my memory serves me right U Rajagopal was quite a senior technician even as he was working for A O M. Like in Vennira aadai, here too, lapse solve change of scenes has been employed, though to a much quicker level [The closing scene and the next scene come as fade overlaps, soon dominated by the new shot.]
As the movie passes some footage, the famous swimming pool scene comes up. TRAPPING OF THE SWIMMERS ON THE GOGGLES OF GG has been a delightful presentation. [ This means that placing of the artistes and the camera have been meticulously done since it was a song sequence, Song sequences are quite demanding in terms of artiste's facial clarity. Obviously a strict discipline in work has been adopted. Another significant presentation was by housing the camera at a level lower than the surface of water, as to show objects below and above the water line's surface. It was a new technique in TF. [But, PNSundaram had already done it in Anubhavam Pudhumai in B & W film stock. Any way it was also Sridhar crew though CVS was not the Director.]
Most of the sequences have been indoor and only song sequences [except Ellorum paarka and the two pooja songs] were on outdoor locales. The best of them was of course Mangayaril Maharaani with the advantages of dam site offering picturesque scapes.
There was a specific question on the colour value of the movie by our friends on the site. I take it that it was on colour rendition. Talking of colour , one has to keep in mind the toils of Cinematographers of yester decades and that of the later generation. The later generation enjoys computer-aided colour controls even after the negatives are recorded.
[Gloriously called post production Q C ] But in the period like 1970s, mere light meters were used as gadgets for determining the relative luminosities in arriving at the right exposure permissible for a motion picture. But, human skill played a better part in conceiving the probable final output on the screen. That way they have done a marvellous job using judgement as a tool while still obliging the director in bringing forth the desired effect.
As for A O M , the camera work has been one of the most unobtrusive staying in absolute control of the situation. The club dance forcibly extracted from Bharathi has a couple of angles carefully planned to bring both M R and Bharathi in dominant and submissive angles simultaneously. All the same, Bharathi depicts good dance movements while maintaining the internal agony. Camera has captured all these to a clear level of supremacy. In the early part of the movie as Kanchana hurriedly reads the letter from M R , a live and a mirror profile of Kanchana are presented in a common frame while preserving the features of a middle class look. In all the scenes camera work has been neat . The unobtrusive camera helps us to glue ourselves to the action.
Other items would follow.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman mADURAI.
Ram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

What an in-depth analysis. Truly an amazing work!!

Hats-off to your writings - a treasure for hidden information!!

Please continue......

Very Happy
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Cinematography -- C O R R I G E N DU M Reply with quote

Dear Friends

While referring to subsurface photography in A O M , I had suggested an earlier Work of P N Sundaram. Actually it was for the song sequence "JIL ENRU KAATRU VANDHADHO " IN THE BLACK AND WHITE MOVIE Nil Gavani Kaadhali . By a bad memory I had ascribed it to the movie
Anubhavam Pudhumai . It was an error from poor memory. I seek your pardon on this. But all other statements of mine relating to swimming pool cinematography remain the same.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: