"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AvaLukkenru Oru Manam IV - ACTORS , ACTION.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: AvaLukkenru Oru Manam IV - ACTORS , ACTION. Reply with quote

AvaLukkenru oru manam - IV ACTORS, ACTION.

Dear Friends,
After our efforts to recall the story,screenplay and Dialogue, the next logical entry should be that of action . The movie revolves round 4 characters portrayed by Bharathi, Muthuraman , Kanchana and Mr.G G [GeminiGanesan] As the movie progresses, it is the first pair who play key roles and the remaining two stay relegated though thre story hinges on their safe life. Those days I did not realise, why on title cards Bharathi figured ahead of Kanchana despite the latter's seniority. Later I realized CVS has his own ways and in this movie Bharathi deserves the top slot by her stellar performance. In fact, the story survives on the agony of Bharathi and the agonizing Muthuraman.
Kanchana : Though by the tradition of movie design she is the heroin by virtue of marrying thr hero, she has a restricted scope in this story line. But , she has been provided occasions to show her class and she has vividly done justice to those. When she receives the letter from Muthuraman thrown at her by M R , she has 'Butterflies in stomach' expression , as she rushes to seclusion for reading the letter. Later when she arranges to "despatch' her letter as paper arrow , she has the joyful suspense on her face. On her witnessing M R in the company of another girl and drink, she makes a silent retreat and gives up his thought and when M Raman attends her wedding to GG she shows bitter fright - an excellent fleeting expression. At the restaurant her subdued acceptance of not being familiar with the Menu card has been done to perfection in a voice modulation that simultaneously pleads not to expose her inadequacy. Also when she appeals to Major Sunderrajan her f-in law , with folded hands for pardoning Bharathi's drifting behaviour Kanchana stands supreme as she effectively conveys the mood of the victim whose immediate need was only a safe seclusion. The infuriated Major drops his anger at the plea of his d-in law. A marvellous piece of action by all concerned.
Gemini Ganesan : He has handled his portion wuth his usual dexterity and has truly differentiated his disposition to Kanchana as against his brotherly traits to Bharathi. A well known Kaadhal mannan shows fine balance. The swimming pool scene and the later scene at a park with Bharathi genuinely longing for him do not cause a ripple in him. The man quickly jumps in ecstasy when a thunder-frightened Kanchana hugs him in cold rain. How jubilant he was , dancing in rain as if his first ever "woman contact " was this. A good display by Kaadhal mannan. Also when he warns M Raman not to persist in troubling Bharathi he has shown anger in body language as much as through dialogue. A good movie for GG on the whole.
V S Raghavan and Veeraraghavan : As support actor VSR is the poor middle class father of Kanchana , expressing shock in disbelief on Major seeking alliance for his son. He has shown precise value to his role and makes us understand the philosophy of fear among middle class , who are worried of having to live with dignity that should match the stature of the proposed alliance. A clear portrayal of ground reality by VSR.
Veeraraghavan appears as a proprietor interested to further his business prospects by advancing money to M Raman, accepting his ability to run a good business. V R has shown skeptic optimism when he insists on M Raman to invest his share of money in the same business. He has manged to show caution in his face whenever he deals with M Raman. Good.

Major Sunderrajan and Rukmini : The 2 appear as parents of GG who also take care of Bharathi orphaned by her mother's demise. The two have lived like parents through the movie. When Bharathi drifts in her daily schedules the two try mending her in typical fashions of a home-tied mother and an erudite Judge. Both have performed to correct levels.

Muthuraman : As an actor he needs no introduction. Though a constant component of CVS movies [Barring Vennira aadai of course], this is the first occasion that he plays a villain in a movie. What a grand performance it was! He never makes noise. He just maintains a low profile approach. But, he employs timely words to trap anyone to make him / her to come around. By sheer dialogue delivery , Muthuraman has effectively portrayed villainy. There has been a total new approach to villainy. He does not carry an army of men to launch any assault. He chooses his targets for making quick money and girls for roaming [ ROMEOING?] around and drinking as a fashionable young man. He does not hesitate to reach anyone by phone and establish a quick contact. He ezploits human desire for fast buck and ropes people in to invest money on a promising project. That he is a cheat comes to light only later. Till such time that Bharathi shows a stiff resistance, M R does not reveal of his earlier attempts on Kanchana; but quickly magnifies the value of the letter and threaten to blow off the marital harmony between Kanchana and GG.

When G G tries to warn him , M R casually appreciates GG's guts. Fearing that MR may expose Kanchana to G G , Bharathi appeals to GG to leave the place. Upon this M R easily throws G G out saying that he has been shown the door. All the three share honours for an emotional surcharge where M R shows calibre just exploiting Bharathi's fear of family collapse.
Despite his evil designs, M R still shows humane values when he lets Bharathi off hook when she says "I am your doll , you can play with me , but please do not damage this doll". He, in fact opens the door for her. It was certainly a dimension in villainy. The entire role has been deftly handled with the dignity of A GENTLE MAN VILLAIN. a VILLAINY WITHOUT NOISE AND BLOODSHED though the victim and viewers PROFUSELY BLEED WITH IN. Certainly it was a very different dimension using only timely caution to exploit Bharathi. An excellent portrayal of a decently indecent character.

Bharathi: I choose look at her as the last entry on the list mainly because she is the heaviest weight in portrayal. She has proved beyond doubt that she can handle such an intricate portfolio of Surface glamour for a suffering interior. Actaually she does not want to lead a life of the kind that she is forced to. It is the prospect of M R's dare devilry skills to exploit a situation that silences her to submit to M R. She effectively counters every advice by raising logical questions not to carry on with MR but to seal the Pandora's box. She suffers tremendous agony within while her physique of tall slender girl ably suits the fashionable attire that goes with sophisticated life style. Some one has suggested that Bharathi generally has a philosophic look. Yes, it is a natural gift in containing emotions while putting on cozy looks. When she appeals to Major for his pardon , she makes it so very emotional. Major responds "I treat you as my daughter and hence my anger" Bharathi skyrockets when she replies "I am a blessed one for , you hold me as your daughter though I am a bad girl" One may say the dialogue is superb. But a dialogue gets life only from superb blending with emotion in voice and expression on face. When
at last she appeals to GOD before her plan to die, she has brought her lamentations within that lend a grand support to her mature handling of situatons. Certainly other Directors have not exploited her exploits properly. Bharathi has literally carried the weight of this movie. A real display of calibre as melodramatic explosions have been duly kept off.
Her acting stays etched in me , as I view it in the context of the times when the movie came.
Other items would follow soon.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: