"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G.RAMANATHAN THE GREAT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: G.RAMANATHAN THE GREAT Reply with quote

A phenomenon who ruled tamil film music with the classical touch for years before a new concept MELLISAI changed the trend.
Still, the great man was there & composed UTHAMA PUTHIRAN , a outstanding movie with scintillating songs .

Who can forget his YARADEE NEE MOHINI , which IMO was the first tamil song in WESTERN FORMAT .

Listen to the song MANNULAGELLAM PONNULAGAGA MARIDUM VELAI .

or for that matter UNAZAGAI KANNIYARGAL SONNADHINALE

9 out of 10 of his compositions were carnatic raga based .

The greatness stems from the fact that he didnt learn the classical music early in his life. Purely out of interest later , he took it up seriously and what levels he reached is beyond imagination !

Our Mellisai Mannar keeps him in highest esteem & even mentioned once that he was very particular in creating a new concept different from the composing style of GR which was his prime focus when he was brought to the front as a composer !

Lets discuss about this great musician here please

UNLESS, THE SENIORS HERE SHARE THEIR MEMORIES ABOUT HIM, HE MIGHT GET FORGOTTEN BY THE FUTURE GENERATION WHICH IS A PITY .
Ram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Your effort to open up thread on one of the greatest yester year composers - G.Ramanathan - is whole-heartedly welcomed and appreciated.

As you rightly pointed-out, the seniors need to pass on info on this composer and am sure that will be treasured in MSVTimes for the future generations.

I personally feel MSV will be delighted if he comes to know that there are threads that talk his seniors in the industry!
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like MSV-Kannadhasan combination, the combination which was ruling Tamil films before them with roaring success, I believe, is the combination of MK.Thiagaraja Bhagavathar-PabanasamSivan-G.Ramanathan. They had taken the beauty of Carnatic music to the common public through film music. One could have even seen the labourers in that period singing the songs of MKT not knowing what raga it belongs, but which would be definitely in a classic carnatic raga. Such was the contribution of G.Ramanathan - popularising carnatic music through films. Apart from the famous MKT songs, who can forget the evergreen songs like "Mullai malar meley", "Kaathiruppan kamalakannan", "Vaarai nee vaarai", "Ulavum thendral katriniley". Then ofcourse "Yaaradi nee mogini" was a stunning beauty from him at that time itself.

P. Sankar.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: GR THE GREAT!!! Reply with quote

Dear Shankar,

Great work by you. MSVTIMES.COM is proud to have yet another thread on the great conmposers of yesteryears. May I also take this opportunity to request you to simultaneously start a thread on another Great S.M. Subbiah Naidu whom our Legend reveres him as his Guru. One of my most favourite songs of SMS is from the film (MGR starrer) Aasai Mugam. Absolute melodies and the orchestration pattern will be really beautiful. Thank you once again Shankar. We hope see more on these Geniuses in the coming days.
cheers
vaidy
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever we discuss about the great musical magic of Shri. G.RAMANATHAN, we can never avoid the three milestones in his career. Yes, they are:

1) AMBIKAPATHY
2) VEERAPANDIYA KATTABOMMAN
3) KAPPALOTTIYA THAMIZHAN

Out of the three, the last two were period movies, which are the part of the Independence War of India.

1) AMBIKAPATHY

All the songs in this movie are still fresh and enjoyed even by the present generation. The story created on the basis of the famous love-tale of Ambikapathy (son of the great poet Kambar) and Amaravathi (daughter of KulOthunga Cholan). Shivaji and P.Bhanumathy played the rolls of Ambikapathy and Amaravathi.

"KannilE Iruppathenna kanni iLamAnE" one of the evergreen songs of Tamil cinema, sung by P.Banumathi, with her world famous own voice. The song also repeated by TMS for Shivaji, when he was travelling in the boat.

"vAdA malarE enathanbE" a love duet by TMS and Bhanumathi.

"Sindhanai sey manamE"
"VadivElum mayilum thunai"

both are sung by TMS for Ambikapathy in the competition, to sing 100 songs about God which would be thorouhgly watched by Ottakooththar (M.N.Nambiar). Both songs will always be in the Best 50s of TMS.

"mAsilA nilavE nam kAthalai magizhvOdu
mAnilam kondAduthE"

a very big hit again my TMS and P.Bhanumathi.

The great G.Ramanathan used three different tunes in the same song, in a wonderful manner.

One tune:
"seerudan vAn meethil thAragai palakOdi
dheepamAi oLi veesudhE"

second tune:
"anbE.....inbam.....engE.....ingE.....
mArAtha pErinba neerAduvOm"

third tune:
"vAnam ingE boomi ingE vAzhvuthAn engE
kAnum yAvum kAthalindri vEru yEdhingE"

Whenever we hear the songs of 'Ambikapathy' tears will come from our eyes/

What a great musician GR was...!! sorry....GR is...!!!!.
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ஜி.ராமநாதனின் இசையில்

'கப்பலோட்டிய தமிழன்'

கப்பலோட்டிய தமிழன் திரைப்படத்துக்கு ஒரு கம்பீரமான இசையைத் தந்திருப்பார் ஜி ராமநாதன். அதற்காக பெரும்பாலும் அதிக வயலின் உபயோகப்படுத்தி இருப்பார். தேச விடுதலைக்காகப் பாடுபட்டு சிறை சென்று செக்கிழுத்த தியாகியின் கதை என்பதால், தற்காலத்திய பாடலாசிரியர்களின் பாடல்களை போடாமல் முழுக்க ,முழுக்க பாரதியாரின் பாடல்களையே உபயோகித்திருப்பார். ஆம், பாரதி பாடல்களின்றி வேறு பாடல் கிடையாது.

'பாருக்குள்ளே நல்ல நாடு' என்ற பாடலுடன் டைட்டில்கள் ஓடத்துவங்கியதுமே நம் உள்ளம் நெகிழத்துவங்கி விடும். தொடர்ந்து....

'வந்தே மாதரம் என்போம்'
'ஓடி விளையாடு பாப்பா'
'வெள்ளிப்பனி மலையின் மீதுலாவுவோம்'
'தண்ணீர் விட்டோ வளர்த்தோம் சர்வேசா'

இப்படி முழுக்க முழுக்க பாரதியார்ன் பாடல்கள்தான்.
இவ்வளவு ஏன்?. ஜெமினி - சாவித்திரி காதல் டூயட்டுகளுக்கு கூட

'சின்னக்குழந்தை போல் விளையாடி சிரித்துக்களித்திடுவான்'

மற்றும்

'காற்று வெளியிடை கண்ணம்மா உந்தன்
காதலை எண்ணிக் களிக்கின்றேன்'

என்ற பாரதியார் பாடலையும் பொருத்தமாக இணைத்திருப்பார் B.R.பந்துலு.

அவைகளுக்கு அருமையாக மெட்டமைத்த பெருமை ஜி.ராநாதன் அவர்களையே சாரும்.
baroque

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaatru veliyidai.....P.B.Srinivas & P.Susheela!
Mahakavi Bharathi - What a passionate lover this Kannamma is blessed with!!
I am jealous!! Very Happy
Enjoy the romantic musical feast by Shri.G.Ramanathan!!
http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=58543
baroque

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite TMS & Susheela duet. Joyous, very rapid 'mullai malar meley....' - Uthammaputhiran. Not to mention, all three musical genius have done eternal songs in this ragam- Kanada!(Pon yenben...Shri.MSV, Poo maalai vangi vandhan...-Shri.Ilayaraja)
http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=28120

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear S.Balaji,
I share your views about the Great opening batsman Respected G.Ramanathan. I have been spending some time on his role in the film industry and hope to write it as an article later.
Many songs of the other great MSV Avargal , at a the time when the former was still actively composing ,were so good and unique but did not create a special image till the picture 'Paava Mannippu" was released. Apart from the earlier reasons given to explain his musical expressions it is also possible that times were changing and the consumer audience was very impressed by songs set to more common words in day to day life. Till this time even light songs had chaste tamil in their lyrics. Now comes a series of songs Vandanal mudal, ponal pogattum poda. Annan Ennada Thamnbi Ennada, Athhai madi Methai adi and so on. I think this is a contribution to the greatness of MSV .
I think you are a cricket fan as well, judging from your reply to me and so you can bale me out if I am wrong in saying that GR was the king of Test series and MSV is the king of 20: 20. Both of them being able to contribute substantially to the other form of the game.
Till we meet again,
Chakravarthy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: