"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI - X TIT BITS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI - X TIT BITS Reply with quote

KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI- X

Dear friends,
Though I have attempted a decent compilation on KN , there are a few pieces of information relating to this movie. It was from Chitraalaya unit owned by CVS and co. Therefore CVS enjoyed greater freedom on policy matters of production. His choice of Kanchana, Rajasree, Sachu, BALIAH and induction of Ravichandran was evidence of CVS's ability of choosing the right person. Kanchana and Ravichandran were new comers and were paired to senior artistes,. Sachu, though in Cine acting had not till then acted in Comedy slot with Nagesh. This pair continued in several movies thereafter. For Balaiah and Rajasree , it was a resurgence and new lease of life in cinema.
Mr.Ravichandran was introduced to CVS by Cinematographer PN Sundaram. Also KN brought to fame the skills of Gopu in dialogue writing.
All of us know that V-R scored music for KN . But during film production they were summoned to Aaliyaar location [as the movie was being shot] to compose a new song and the MDs went to that place and obliged CVS.
Another interesting information by Gopu was, many of the joke- interjects in KN were gathered from conversations between people on the sands of Marina , Madras.
This was the movie that brought to light, the dimension of actor Muthuraman for handling comic situations.

Truly it was Kaadhalikka Neramillai for Sridar in the sense that only after this movie Sridar got married.
The movie made a huge impact on the audience as it came to cinema halls without much publicity.
All those movies that received high profile advertisement have not done well with the audience.
Certainly K N made a big difference to the concept of
movie-making in Tamil. [Concluded]

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Kadhalikka Neramillai Reply with quote

Here are a few points to add to what Professor has written about K.N.

This is something I picked up from an interview with MSV (I don't remember if it was for a magazine or a TV program). It seems MSV/TKR and Sridhar had a gentlemen's agreement to make two movies; one would be a comedy in colour and the other would be a serious Black & White musical. These were respectively, K.N. and Kalaikoyil. One would be for MSV/TKR while the other would be for Sridhar's own company. The question arose as to which movie should be made for which company. It seems they drew lots using two slips of paper. As luck would have it, K.N. went to Sridhar's home company while Kalaikoyil went to MSV/TKR. MSV mentioned in the interview (with a hint of understandable sorrow) that K.N. went on to become a superhit while Kalaikoyil bombed at the box office.

I agree with Professor that the music of K.N. is remarkable. The tunes and the orchestration are somehow totally different from what was seen in Tamil films earlier. I know one person who believes, till today, that "Anubavam Pudhumai" is the most mesmerizing song ever recorded for Tamil films. He used to tell me that, as a school boy, whenever this song was played on the radio, whether at home or at any roadside teastall, he used to drop whatever he was doing, stand and hear the entire song, and only then continue with what he was doing.

As all MSV fans know, the late music critic Subbudu rated "Naalam Naalam Thirunaalam" as probably the best Tamil film song he had ever heard.

Some flashes of humour from K.N. have stayed with me (and many of you, I'm sure) over the years -
1. Nagesh telling Krishnagiri Kittappa : "Hey, Kittappa, indha tunea engeyo kaeta madhiri irukke!"
2. Sachu relaxing on the rock so much that she starts dozing, to which Nagesh irritably asks: "Thoongaraiya? Ippo poyittu apurama varava?"
3. Nagesh telling his sisters why he calls his film company 'Oho Productions': "Naan edukura ovavuru padamum OHO OHOnnu odanum!"
4. Balaiah telling the marriage broker who brings a "varan" for Kanchana: "Yen panam enna! Yen yoghyadai enna!"
5. Nagesh telling his sisters at the dining table about his "brainwave" for a sad scene in his movie, which involves a passing street dog pausing for a moment, shedding a tear for the hero, and then moving on!
6. The scene where Rajashri drops her transistor radio into the stream and pleads with Ravichandran to help.
Ravichandran: "Yaaroda sister?"
Rajashri: "Transistor!"

I can go on and on, but will stop here so that others can add their favourite bits from this classic.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI - X TIT BITS Reply with quote

Dear Mr. SVS,
Please do not stop anywhere and keep pouring all that comes to your mind. Sometimes we miss the occasion with an altruistic attitude that others may also contribute. But, the present situation is quite discouraging as even the die hard fans of MSV do not express themselves and hardly some 3 are trying to go on. I do not really know for how long people can hold the same zeal especially when some threads are staying at Feb / March entries though by calendar we are in June-2008. What you wish to say please say it without keeping hopes of someone doing it. Why such a sagging has come about I am unable to comprehend.
As for Kalaikovil, MSV has himself said that a movie of the rating of KN should not have been so closely followed by a subject like K K.
The pity was Kkoil was not a bad movie at all from any count. But like Cricket, Cinema too is a game of luck with no clues as to how it clicks.
K Koil too had excellent songs and nice acting. But it did not make it to the top.
Once again I appeal to all friends to make this a vibrant site keeping in mind that our mission is the propagation of MSV as a musical concept.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Kadhalikka Neramillai Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Unga aadhangam enakku purigiradhu.

Where are the regulars like Saradha Madam, Usha Shankar, Balaji, Venkat, et al? It was the excellent contributions by such people which really encouraged me to join this site. I particularly miss the chaste Tamil writings of avowed MSV fans like Saradha Madam!
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SVS sir,

Our Balaji is very much here, actively writing about movies (Sumai Thaangi) and great songs..

But I really do not know the whereabouts of many others.. hope they continue with the writings as before..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: