"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KAA.. NERAMILLAI - VIII - V -R 's EMPHATIC STAMP OF CLASS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: KAA.. NERAMILLAI - VIII - V -R 's EMPHATIC STAMP OF CLASS. Reply with quote

KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI -VIII -MUSIC
DEAR FRIENDS,
Though by the year 1964, VISWANATHAN-RAMAMURTHY were the numero uno of South, they certainly scaled a new high in K N. Despite the difficulties I may encounter in establishing the firm truth in my contention, I am more than convinced that their composition styles had set a distinct sophistication from KN onwards. Verbal analysis of this facet of V R requires a genuine level of music competence[of which I am bereft] to pinpoint their new viswaroopam with in their already established grandeur. I can broadly refer to the key facets that help me arrive at this kind of assertion.
From KN on, we notice a rich / complicated style of orchestration in instrument varieties, their numbers , mixing of different genre of orchestral attributes, play of percussion and a distinct niche for a range of guitars and Mandolins, not to speak of their proverbial bango and drums. Undoubtedly they had patented the articulate nuances of these instruments in earlier movies but in KN all songs were richly embellished and THERE WAS AN INDISPUTABLE VARIETY in KN with 8 songs in a row, not one resembling another. What we later saw in movies Pudhiya paravai Karnan, Vennira aadai, 1000 il oruvan [MSV- TKR] and Anbay vaa [MSV] were all pioneered by the new style they successfully established in KN. That way I am obliged to say that V R put an emphatic stamp of class in KN. Our adoration has to grow and stay aloft for MSV TKR as the then conditions of recording a song were indeed demanding in perpetual precision. With no computer storage, to monitor the live-playing of every instrument in strict observance of the note, was indeed a gift of the Almighty. People who have come in era of advantages may not understand the suffering in the scales that all MDs of VR and pre- VR era had, though their songs never revealed any suffering.
As for K N , the MDs begin their play from card 1 of the titles . The happy-go-lucky mood of the movie is firmly registered by the swift variations of BGM both in instruments and in the note-variations. Of course they had to balance with the title cards that carried images of the artistes and their picnic style of dress and locales like beach in sketch. In fact the rapid flow of BGM in KN really set the tone for the entire movie to come.
As the movie opens, MSV too opens up with the grand slam 'Enna Paarvai' where the Mandolins , guitars and brush drum make a wooing ensemble not -easy to ignore or get out from. My impoverished skills of analysing music does not serve me well at the moment, yet I am confident that the song epitomises quality in every domain -lyric, singing , ludes , interludes and of course the captivating sequence of orchestration. Certainly the viewer is enormously energised by this song and there after none in in the auditorium is ever distracted. As a matter of fact every song has had its dose of impact on the movie-goer and any expressions of appreciation would only be an attempt.
The song Viswanathan Vaelai vaenum was a TOTALLY DIFFERENT output, as cine-songs for protests -all by men was a new situation. Using a range of instruments and chorus , VR have made it a popular number thoroughly enjoyable for its beats nicely set to perform a protest with song and dance.
Anubhavam pudhumai was true to its pallavi in every piece of the song. There has not been a similar song serving a hither to undeclared romance. A song that would seem to go well with LRE, has been dished out by MSV through PS [another anubhavam ] Also look at PS's punch as she sings Anubhavam Budumai, only to politely indicate fusion of words in that state of mind. Ps known for perfect separation of words has deliberately done this embellishment revealing the pulsations with in.
NaaLam NaaLm ThirunaaLam was an out of the world piece by every reckoning. It took nearly a year before this song reached the status of unquestionable supremacy baffling the novice and the expert alike. For several years the song stayed as the warm-up opening number in MSV's stage performance. Literally any member of the whole orchestra would be on his toes to play the note . Tabla in this song was a delight and looks to have been played by a machine. That was the rapidity of Hanumanthu the tabla artiste who has shown brisk and soft play on this mesmerising instrument. It may never get repeated for another song.
Malarendra mugam was another beauty that brought forth LRE , MS Raju combo as the comedy play back singers. But the orchestration was at par with any other song.
KN - the title song was a new species by itself. Beginning as a solo soon it brings a dance mood on to the heroine by the change in beat and also her mind on realizing who the old man was. The calculated change in note was fantastic. [ In Karnataka, theatres , Coorgies among the audience used to begin group dancing as the second half lude begins before "Avvulagam sendru vandhaen, amudham kudiththuvandhaen" ; the hitherto lamenting Kanchana also takes to delightful dancing although the beats were then bracketed with "Dappa kuthu'. What matters is the natural relevance and it was there in abundance with this number.
The whistle infused number "Nenjaththai aLLi' too had all the fresh nuances of tune and orchestration besides a LOOOONG humming by LR Anjali. On the whole it was an exuberance of youth all over.

In deed all the 8 Songs were brilliantly tuned , richly embellished and nicely picturised . It was a well deserved success as it encompassed all that goes with genuine effort. [To continue]

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
Ram

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

I just could'nt agree more to your decription that the Music of Kadhalikka Neramillai had a complete different stamp of Quality & Variety. Your words enhances the musical experience of this movie and drives me to listen to all the songs in a row - right away !!!

Though I was non-existent in the world when the movie was released, the fact that this movie has travelled decades and above just its time travel - it still remains astonishingly and refreshingly fresh even today makes me wonder how this musical duo composed music in sheer forethought and with absolute melodic sense - which challenges the test of time !!!

Please continue with your descriptions of other movies of yesteryears - Your narration stands tall !!!
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: KAA.. NERAMILLAI - VIII - V -R 's EMPHATIC STAMP OF CLASS. Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ram ,
You have suggested that you can not agree more with my observation on V- R's emphatic class. Well I am not too sure of the connotation ; anyhow I take it that you are unable to accept any less of my observation. Leaving aside the perceptions on our levels of agreement, I would like to tell all youngsters that in the period under reference V-R were the most sought after by all movie-makers irrespective of the movie budget. Only very few producers had specific reasons of company affiliations or long term friendship as parameters of choosing the MDs. I have known from my friends with cine line contacts that MSV used to be on an 18hr / day schedule doing compostions, rehearsals , discussions , recording in some place or other. Yet, they[V-R] and their songs never suggested fatigue. Simply they grew as children of Goddess Saraswathy by obliging their masters, unmindful of returns. All that MSV did was, churning out melodies movie after movie, year after year for over 3 + decades. The graph kept ascending with quality, clarity and innovations in orchestral embellishments. Therefore I do not conceive that they had the time to carefully plan by forethought and prophetic skills. The scale of purity in those compositions rules the listener despite the efflux of time. Any one who happens to lend ears to MSV would certainly recognize the veil of difference between voice and noise. Noise pollution by cine songs is a richly rewarding avocation for a few. Times will change.
Warm regards Prif.K.Raman Madurai.
Ram

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Yes, I meant that I'm unable to accept any less of your observation..
MSV's music had the natural quality to stand the test of time. Any ordinary composer would have miserable failed if he 'tried' to provide music even years ahead...But MSV's music is century ahead. What I meant by forethought is not "conscious planning" but this natural ability of the composer's urging interest to provide quality music, that will stand forever.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: KAA.. NERAMILLAI - VIII - V -R 's EMPHATIC STAMP OF CLASS. Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Ram,
Nice of you to have helped me with what you intended. Sometimes we get guided by the letter than by its spiriit. This was one of my thoughtless moments on "forethought' .As you have opined in the current posting, conscious planning could not have helped. This so because, those days movies had a common package of 6 songs and above [Exception Karpagam = 4 ]. So to be a dependable maker of hit songs was just ruled out except by sheer repertoire of "genuine" knowledge and the ability to instantly spot the meter [tune] to which the song can be safely packed without suffocating the lyric and the listeners. These are the Divine gifts inherent in MSV's calobre as an MD. So I felt we can not ascribe forethought as he was racing against time. Naturally some of his compositions are ahead by several decades. Both of us feel alike and many too harbour the same reverence to MSV whether they express it or not. Thank you for your nice clarification.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: