"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI -- III - A VENTURE OF SORTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI -- III - A VENTURE OF SORTS Reply with quote

KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI -- III
Dear friends,
K N was a venture of sorts in the sense that , this was the time when Tamil screen has had a rich dose of family-oriented subjects relying on heavy melodrama of emotions. In fact , CVS had himself handled a number of emotion-packed subjects-- Nenjil ore aalayam, Policekaaran Magal, Sumai Thaangi though the last two were not from Chitraalaya. At that point of time, silently he had launched this movie by judiciously combining new talents Kanchana and Ravichandran with trusted artistes like Nagesh, Muthuraman and Baliah. For very many years Baliah had been expressing gratitude to CVS , saying that IT WAS K N that resurrected his career after a long hibernation of over 10 years. When I said judicious combination , what I meant was the pairs were so aligned as to have a new + old combination. Also, Sachu teamed up with Nagesh for the first time as a comedienne. The 2 elder-looking fathers of Sachu and Ravichandran were as young as their cinema -issues , played respectively by Prabhakar and Veerasamy who are cine artistes even to-day.
Despite being a hilarious assemblage of events, if we calculate there are several artistes including VS Raghavan, Radha bai, Karikkol Raju, and Shankar [Ganesh] besides a host of others whose names are not well known to me. To have extracted precise expressions from everyone , the team must have put in enormous homework, considering the not-so-experienced image of those artistes. Also , it is to be recalled here that SRIDAR has the reputation of assembling the dialogues only on the sets , minutes before the shooting is done. This means that as the cinematography team arranges the lighting , Sridar and Gopu conceive the dialogue and its delivery pattern. This indicates the spontaneity of the two in mustering the right words for an occasion. One of the key advantages is, it avoids jaw-breaking phraseology and artificiality that plague Tamil films from time to time.
Another major venture about this movie was the conceptual strategy of making it in colour, though all artistes were new or not mega stars of serious public image. It may not surprise many now of a movie being made in colour. But, consider these facts.
This was the first ever colour work for A.Vincent- P.N.Sundaram though richly experienced in B&W. The pair also accepted the task and have displayed supreme mastery in the very first movie. It speaks of their dedication and commitment.
Yet another important credit to this movie was that the film was the first ever to be processed at GEMINI COLOR LABS , Madras, while all the then contemporary colour Tamil films were preferred to be processed at Film Center Bombay. The logic was to rely on experienced technicians. In fact Shri. SS Vasan had all his major technicians trained in London for handling colour emulsions way back in 1963. Yet , it was CVS who placed immense faith on the "new" lab and got his film processed there. Was it not a venture for a movie maker to rely on a hitherto not tested source to "process" the material. The fate of the movie and that of the Cinematographers were together at stake. But, it should be acknowledged that the makers and processors should have discussed the issue threadbare to arrive at precise working compromises that may have been necessary for the then technology. Needless to say that Gemini Labs came out with flying colours through KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI , a
definite venture. [To Continue]
Warm regards Prof.K,Raman Madurai.
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Kadhalikka Neramillai Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Kudos to you on selecting for analysis a movie which is treasured by millions of Tamilians. Devoted fans of the great English humorist, P.G.Wodehouse, will probably agree with me when I say that K.N. is almost "Wodehousian" in its clean, spontaneous humour and plotline.

K.N. is very dear to several of my friends and relatives, who insist that it is the best comedy the Tamil film world has ever produced. I know several people who have seen it 20 or 30 times in the theatres. In this digital age, I will be surprised if there is a single Tamil-speaking household which does not have a VCD or DVD version of K.N.

It is the only movie whose dialogues I personally know by heart. One of my friends, Shankar (who now resides in Coimbatore) and I have spent hours, night after night, in our college days analysing every frame, every dialogue and every song of this film.

I may be mistaken when I say this, but I believe K.N. was the first Tamil film to complete 100 days in three different theatres in Bangalore in 1964.

Continue the good work, Professor. If I have anything to add, it will be after you finish your analysis.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI -- III - A VENTURE OF SORTS Reply with quote

Dear Mr SVS,
Though an ardent fan of CVS , I am one of those without CD /DVD of K N. Most of your "claims' on K N do apply to me word by word and my seeing the movie was at Mysore as a college student in 1964. Your reference to PG WODEHOUSE makes it a grand encomium. But, unlike PGW, CVS -GOPU have made it a straight hitting comedy that would never have a comparable parallel. This is all the more significant when we look at the brevity of interjects that flow in a torrent overtaking the previous, sustaining highest levels of decency which has a clear veil of segregation from vulgarity. Sophistication in every sphere has been the hallmark of this movie.
I am more than confident that you [others as well] would have a lot to supplement because any volume of coverage would still be inadequate. It would be a Herculean task to visualize that one can do justice to every facet of this grand movie. Thank you.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: