"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VENNIRA AADAI -- VI MUSIC and BGM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: VENNIRA AADAI -- VI MUSIC and BGM Reply with quote

VENNIRA AADAI --- VI MUSIC and BGM

Dear friends,
As ever , Viswanathan Ramamurthy made a huge impact for this Sridhar movie as well. In fact in those days, all Tamil movies had their Public Relations through the then Ceylon Radio and soon all programmes in that medium had VA songs in one or the other category
[ listeners' choice, Song sequencing by listeners' for popular rating, special sloy fillers in Isaiyum Kadhaiyum , new hits, theme songs etc.,] Most V A songs turned instant hits among which Kannan ennum and Neeradum kaNgal topped the list. After the movie hit the screen, all other numbers too enjoyed their popularity.
By then V R were the real Kings on the job and expectations ran high whenever they worked for a Sridar movie. What I wish to say is, a song turning a hit is that simpler than a whole movie numbers proving a hit especially when the listeners eagerly await. i.e., any small shortfall in any component will ruin the songs' prospects of appeal among the audience. In simpler terms, MDs have to come out with genuine novelty to stay aloft in rating, especially when the audience keenly look for "new and impressive" items. There are no issues like "star value" to prop up a song at least among the fans of the artiste. Unless the numbers satisfy the soul, there is no way of appealing on other counts in a situation of unknown artistes as in Vennira Aadai. Just for recognizing the merits of the MDs, I bring these conditions of assessment.
Vennira aadai was a musical bonanza
Being bereft of skills of analysing music, I have to stay content with touching upon those spots that have registered themselves within me as nostalgia of 43 + .
Chithiramae solladi was a very brisk song by its interludes while the pallavi/ Charanam per se were not that rapid. After the II charanam the play of chords and drums were indeed of a high order of embellishment. PBS SJ made it a memorable hit.
Nee Enbadhenna was a breathtaking number by its sheer nuances of singing [LR E] and brilliant orchestration copious in string instruments and drum beats. The play of guitars and mandolins in this song has not had a parallel all these years. [How vibrant would MSV HAVE BEEN WHILE RECORDING THIS SONG? This was perhaps the forerunner for PATTATHTHU RAANI of Sivandha maNN]. Amazing it was.
Allippandhal kalgal eduththu was also a brisk number by LRE and MS Raju where both have played perfect foils. It too had some brilliant use of guitars and mandolins besides accordion and Raju's yougling. Drum play has been a delight in this number.
Oruvan kaadhalan has been a fabulous composition if we look at the lyric itself. It reads more a prose. Look at how the MDs have made it a novel composition by tuning and orchestration. This song was an undoubted pioneer for all prose-like songs. The interludes romanticize this number by creating a feeling of swinging as the song flows. A grand song that did not reach its due reputation.
Ammamma Kaatru vandhu ascended its glory by the high-pitch . frictionless voice of PS, embellished only by traditional flutes, tabla with minor support from strings. A free flowing song that augurs well with a waterfall sequence [Shot in Kumbakkarai precincts of Periyakulam].
Enna enna varththaigalo and Kannan ennum are too well known mighty numbers that deserve incisive analyses by genuine critics with a clear music background.
As for BGM, V A was a delight and MSV TKR have given very fine back- up in all the critical scenes without intruding in to the smooth flow of the movie. Scenes of JL introduction , Doctor's arrival at Kodai Kanal, Coaker's walk scene and the scenes where Srikanth applies logical tests and alleviatives on J L, BGM stands politely supreme.

On the whole V A was a movie of a very serious plot where V R have outclassed themselves by providing a rich variety of songs with typical embellishments and powerful orchestration. A musical bonanza indeed.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Vennira Aadai Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Due to work commitments, I was unable to log into our favourite website for a few days. When I logged in today, I found your excellent pieces on Vennira Aadai. The net result is that you have definitely cost me a few hours of sleep tonight Rolling Eyes - I bought a DVD of Vennira Aadai a couple of weeks back, but hadn't got around to seeing it. After reading your mails, I realize that I have to re-visit the movie today.

Srini
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Vennira aadai Reply with quote

Dear Mr.SVS,
Though bad it is to disturb someone's sleep, on occasions it is pardonable if the person 'disturbed' accepts to forego comfort.In this case you opt tp lose sleep as seeing V A would be a greater delight than being in a cocoon of sleep. But, I am sure that you would encounter greater niceties than what I have attempted to narrate. Kindly share your experience so that it would be case of one leading another - a happy pursuit indeed.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
msvramki

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SVS,

Pl join Professor in sharing the niceties of V A in your own way so that we can also enjoy and try loose sleep trying to enjoy the aspects to be narrated by you, seeing the movie again ( again and again, may be !) .

Regards
Ramki
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Vennira Aadai Reply with quote

Dear Ramki/Professor,

Since Professor has already analysed the movie threadbare, there is very little for me to add. I have about 20 to 30 minutes of the movie left - should be finishing it tonight. A few observations:

1. This is a clean and slick offering from Director Sridhar. Production values are very good in every frame. Beautiful photography, radically different theme - much ahead of its time - and restrained acting by all the actors.

2. For me, the USP of the movie is undoubtedly the music. Usually, when songs come on, people reduce the volume. With me, it is just the reverse - for each song in V.A., I increased the volume - much to the consternation of my wife and daughter javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Very Happy My 19-year old daughter sat through a few scenes with me and asked me if I would at least consider fast-forwarding the songs. When I looked disbelievingly at her, she heaved a huge sigh, got up, and wandered off javascript:emoticon('Confused')
Confused My wife came and asked me indulgently: "Enjoying ourselves, are we, boss?"javascript:emoticon('Wink')
Wink

3. I'm not able to locate "Oruvan Kadhalan" in any cassette or CD. Such a pity. It's such a beautiful song.

4. Top of the agenda is to hear the songs of V.A. on my car's CD player today and tomorrowjavascript:emoticon('Exclamation')
Exclamation
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid coverage on a great movie . Thank you Professor especially for the way you have presented in phases so that all finer aspects of the movie get noticed. MSV-TKR richly deserved the highest recognition for this movie .
The thrust given to Piano is something our Mr. Ramki or Mr. Vaidy may check with the Master on how orchestration was conceptualised.
While we cannot single out any particular song for praise, the most befitting tribute came from Veena child prodigy Ms. Gayatri who was profuse in appreciating the nuances of AMMAMMA KATRU VANDHU . She once explained at length the beauty of the composition in awe especially the extensive application of “ Gamakam ” while P.Susheela sings and also demonstrated by playing on the Veena. IMHO, it was an astounding tune setting . The song doesn’t follow a consistent rhythm . The charanam has lengthy sentence but closes out swiftly to get back to pallavi .. No wonder Gayathri considers it as one of her favourites.
I also remember one photo published in Kumudam or Ananda Vikatan showing images of the movie stars performing before Dr. Radhakrishnan , the then President. MSV playing Harmonium for JJ to perform for Kannan ennum mannan perai ….The best period of P.Susheela also coincides during this phase .
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Vennira Aadai Reply with quote

One more thing about the song "Kannan Ennum Mannan Paerai" - I have mentioned this in my first ever posting on this site - this song was supposedly written by the great Kannadasan in less than ten minutes, with words rushing out in a torrent. MSV also is believed to have taken just about ten minutes to finalize the tune.

I saw this song sequence three times last night after finishing the movie.

Those were the days!
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube links to the evergreen songs :

Chitirame solladi :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_CtL9thZok

Kannan ennum mannan perai :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXDkMYOk6UY&feature=related

Enna enna varthaigalo :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp7xlaA4ftE&feature=related

Ammamma katru vandhu :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4IPaDEW1S8&feature=related
Jeev

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Veniraadai Reply with quote

Here is the link for Oruvan Kathalan (PBS & PS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRJ3AMjUCtA

Jeev
Venkat

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Undoubtedly this movie is another musical classic in the TFM industry.

An interesting incident in this movie.
For the song, Enna Enna Vaarthaigalo, Srikanth will be playing the Piano.
When they (Sridhar and his team) were thinking of taking a closeup shot of Srikanth's piano playing, they took the shot with our legend palying the piano in closeup.
Shri.MSV has played the piano for this song.
This was told by Mr.Chitralaya Gopu in an interview with our legend in Madras DD some years back for our legend's serial "Thirayum Isayum".

Piano rombavum class-a intha paatula irukarathuku athu oru mukiya kaaranama irukalam... Very Happy

Please see/listen carefully again that song sequence in the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp7xlaA4ftE&feature=related
Venkat

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.S.V.Srinivasan,

You can downloaded the song "Oruvan Kadalan" from
http://music.cooltoad.com/music
Search for Vennira. All songs from this movie will be listed.

Indeed all songs of this movie are unique in a way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: