"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engirondha Asaigal - MGR Jayalalitha duet in Chandrodayam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Lyrics Reply with quote

Dear Mr Murthy,
Your interpretatation of the word ' kalai' stems from a phonetical confusion.
'kAlai' the 'l' employed in mellinam category of Tamil stands for a reference to either Morning or Leg. We can stretch our imagination to look for if the lyric states 'kAlai varum varai' or 'kAlai vAArum varai' inbam which could also fit in as an extra option.
The 'kALai' of 'your reference' is a euphemism for youthful male and literally a reference to bull. This time the Tamil phonetic is "L" in Vallinam as in veLLam , paLLam etc. It is this subtlety and its inept handling by a singer of repute that has brought on him the ignominy for ever. I would like to point out that this is intended to put things straight and not to project any one in bad light.
Warm regards Prof. K.Raman Madurai
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Lyrics Reply with quote

Dear Mr Murthy,
Certainly we do not doubt your honest enthusiasm in sharing a thought. Yet, as FANS of MSV we need to be accurate, because , he as MD has accorded the top most priority to both pronunciation and intonation. Only with in this frame work of the language's precision he has recorded all his songs. On occasions adamant singers have not towed his guidance but have unfailingly paid the price. Kindly be assured that all our friends are well-meaning to the extent of protecting our image as the most knowledgeable admirers of a worthy MD to be admired at. I trust the spirit is clear. Please go ahead with your writing.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that Vaali, the mischievous poet that he is (and being one who has a passion for pun), might have had the same idea that Mr.Mahesh had expressed, though it was not possible forhim to use the same phonetic script to write kaalai and kaaLai! Sometimes, mispronunciation will spoil the meaning of a song. In this case, a mispronunciation will give another meaning of the song. To that extent, I think that Mr.Murthy's observation is interesting, though it may not be accurate as the professor has pointed out.

Tthis song gives me nostalgic feelings,craving for something which I seem to be missing, making me feel a subtle pain, even while becoming extatic while hearing the song. I think this is because the feeling of 'ekkam' (yearning or craving) has been so beautifully weaved into this song both by the lyricist and the MD.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR M/S MURTHY, PROF, RATHAVI
I THINK IN THIS CASE WE HAVE TAKE THE WORD 'KALAI' ONLE FOR MORNING. BECAUSE IF YOU SEE THE WORD 'KALAI' IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE OTHER WORDS LIKE 'MALAI' AND 'ILLAI URRANKKUM', IT REFER ONLY TO THE PERIOD OF A DAY

REG

MURALI
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Murali,
It is not my case that kaalai can also be taken to mean kaaLai (young man). In fact I am an ardent lover of Tamil and I am touchy about people taking liberties with this language. One of my grievances is that while everyone seems to be waiting to find fault with the English usage of others, people don't even take notice of the myriad errors in use of Tamil by almost everyone from the semierates to the highly educated.

Yet I found Mr. Murthy's interpretation as interesting because it appeared to me that Vaali would most probably have thought of this. I am saying this because poets in general will be alert to such possibilities, since they are always conscious of the language, particularly the words they use. The twisted version is also in agreement with the theme of the song, which is about a girl yearning for her lover (as Mr. Murthy has pointed out in his last mail)

Suppose this poem (lyric) is read out i na Kavi arangam. The poet can first read the line as it is and can recite the line again by substituting KaaLai for Kaalai (in kavi Arangams, the lines are often read twice!) He would do this with a mischievous (and proud) smile and the audience would also enjoy this.

P R swami (parthavi)
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR PARTHAVI

'NAAN INDHA LYRIC VILAYATTUKKELAM VARALAPPA '

ANBUDAN,

NA YO MURALI
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Lyrics Reply with quote

Dear friends,
There are several such puns fro Kannadasan
Look at these
kOdhai AaNdAL
THAMIZHAI AaNdAL. on a time the reference is to the person and the next time to her command over Tamil language.
[From the song 'malligai mullai' ].

Another from "kalai koil" ['nAn unnai cherndha selvam']

'un achcham nANam enra nAlum [4 m]
'en arugil vandhavudan anjum [ 5m]
'Idahazh parugumbOdhu nenjam aarum [6m]
'adhu pAdum inba swaram Ezhum [7m] There are seceral such from almost every lyricist. May be we should open a thread on PUN in songs.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: