"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Hello!" from Srini of Bangalore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: "Hello!" from Srini of Bangalore Reply with quote

Dear fellow MSV fans,

This is S.V.Srinivasan from Bangalore in South India. I am delighted to join a forum of like-minded fans of the greatest Music Director the Tamil film world has known. I am indebted to my friend Shankar (who works in Coimbatore) for directing me to this site.

I am now 50 years old, working currently for a major newspaper group in Bangalore as Assistant General Manager-Circulation, and as the Printer-Publisher of the group.

Looking back, I realize that I have been an ardent fan of MSV-TKR for roughly three-fourths of my life. To be honest, I "discovered" the magic of Mellisai Mannargal through the writings of Kannadasan. I grew up with no opportunity to learn Tamil formally because of: (a) the city I grew up in (Bangalore), and (b) a convent education. As a result, I can easily read (and of course speak) Tamil, but write Tamil only with some difficulty. However, the lyrics of Kaviarasar always fascinated me. I grew up on a diet of songs from Karnan, Bhimsingh's "Pa" series, T.R.Ramanna's hits, K. Shankar's hits etc. I used to be awed by the simplicity and elegance of the lyrics, and then discovered the majesty of MSV-TKR's music, which never overwhelmed the lyrics but always accentuated them.

My elder brother (who is now settled in New Zealand) used to kindle my interest in TFM by throwing out nuggets of information, which have stayed in my memory to this day. "Do you know that Kannadasan wrote the lyrics of Kannan Ennum Mannan Perai Solla Solla in five minutes flat?" he once asked me. Another time, he said he had written to Kannadasan asking for clarification on whether the word used in Aaru Manamae Aaru (in Aandavan Kattalai) by the great Kaviarasar was "THERNTHU mandihan vazhum vagaikku" or "SERNDHU manidhan vazhum vagaikku". On another occasion, he told me that MSV had modelled TMS's voice in Yaar andha nilavu (from "Shanthi") on the lines of Cliff Richard's low pitched delivery in songs like "Angel Face, We Just Met."

By the way, has anyone studied MSV's fascination with the raga Bagheshri? I am not technically competent to identify ragas, but I believe many of MM's hit songs are based on this particular raga. If you hum the first few lines, you will see the similarity in all these songs:

1. Hello miss (Enn Kadamai)
2. Naan Oru Kuzhandai (Padagotti)
3. Rojamalae Rajakumari (Veera Thirumagan)
4. Malaruku Thenral Pagaiaanal (Enga Veetu Pillai)
5. Nilavae Yennidam Nerungadhe (Ramu)

More in my next!

Srini
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. SVS,

Welcome to the website Very Happy Nice to hear about you. Precisely the site needs a person of your age group more as you must have been those fortunate souls having enjoyed the best of the tamil cinema music , the golden 60s( by the time, I was grown up, the Master was already past his best years ) . Pls contribute with your thoughts on the classics of the Master.
Venkat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.SVS,
Hearty welcome to this Mesmerizing Sangeetha Viswam... Smile
That was a nice introductory.
sridhar.mg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Hello!" from Srini of Bangalore Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Srinivasan,

I am M.G.Sridhar from Bangalore. I read that you are also from Blore. Few ardent fans of MSV meet regularly in Blore & discuss about the greatness of our beloved Mellisai Mannar. We would like to have you in our company. My phone no. is 9986561994. You may contact me at any time. I am one of the LUCKIEST persons in the world to see the MASTER in person conducting the SYMPHONY-CREATOR UNPLUGGED in Chennai on 28th Sept. I was also the BLESSED ONE to spend 2 days with the LEGEND when he was in Bangalore recently.

Please contact me immediately as we require your helping hand to assist MR. Shiva of Bangalore who is planning a Grand Concert of the LEGEND in Bangalore.

Regards,

Sridhar

S.V.Srinivasan wrote:
Dear fellow MSV fans,

This is S.V.Srinivasan from Bangalore in South India. I am delighted to join a forum of like-minded fans of the greatest Music Director the Tamil film world has known. I am indebted to my friend Shankar (who works in Coimbatore) for directing me to this site.

I am now 50 years old, working currently for a major newspaper group in Bangalore as Assistant General Manager-Circulation, and as the Printer-Publisher of the group.

Looking back, I realize that I have been an ardent fan of MSV-TKR for roughly three-fourths of my life. To be honest, I "discovered" the magic of Mellisai Mannargal through the writings of Kannadasan. I grew up with no opportunity to learn Tamil formally because of: (a) the city I grew up in (Bangalore), and (b) a convent education. As a result, I can easily read (and of course speak) Tamil, but write Tamil only with some difficulty. However, the lyrics of Kaviarasar always fascinated me. I grew up on a diet of songs from Karnan, Bhimsingh's "Pa" series, T.R.Ramanna's hits, K. Shankar's hits etc. I used to be awed by the simplicity and elegance of the lyrics, and then discovered the majesty of MSV-TKR's music, which never overwhelmed the lyrics but always accentuated them.

My elder brother (who is now settled in New Zealand) used to kindle my interest in TFM by throwing out nuggets of information, which have stayed in my memory to this day. "Do you know that Kannadasan wrote the lyrics of Kannan Ennum Mannan Perai Solla Solla in five minutes flat?" he once asked me. Another time, he said he had written to Kannadasan asking for clarification on whether the word used in Aaru Manamae Aaru (in Aandavan Kattalai) by the great Kaviarasar was "THERNTHU mandihan vazhum vagaikku" or "SERNDHU manidhan vazhum vagaikku". On another occasion, he told me that MSV had modelled TMS's voice in Yaar andha nilavu (from "Shanthi") on the lines of Cliff Richard's low pitched delivery in songs like "Angel Face, We Just Met."

By the way, has anyone studied MSV's fascination with the raga Bagheshri? I am not technically competent to identify ragas, but I believe many of MM's hit songs are based on this particular raga. If you hum the first few lines, you will see the similarity in all these songs:

1. Hello miss (Enn Kadamai)
2. Naan Oru Kuzhandai (Padagotti)
3. Rojamalae Rajakumari (Veera Thirumagan)
4. Malaruku Thenral Pagaiaanal (Enga Veetu Pillai)
5. Nilavae Yennidam Nerungadhe (Ramu)

More in my next!

Srini
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear M/s sridhar/ srini

Nice to know , both in blr . and better news is that Master is going to have a concert in BLr .

i was in blr , couple of years back, and attended masters concert in chowdiah hall , i think Guruji Viswanaths birthday . that again , only instruments , including veena by Ms revathi krishna
another excellant programme .

wish you all the best for the programme . pls let the forum memebers know the details of the programme , probably , a few can attend
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to touch base with Mr Sridhar of Bangalore a couple of days ago by phone.

Mr Sridhar, as discussed, we should certainly meet in the near future along with like-minded MSV fans. I was delighted to find that you share my passion for Hindi film songs of the 1960s and 1970s too! I'm a big fan of Shankar Jaikishan, O.P.Nayyar, S.D.Burman, R.D.Burman (my all time favourite HFM director!), Rafi, Kishore and others of that era.

Saw a reference to M.S.Subbulakshmi in some other threads here. It may interest my friends at MSVTimes to know that my family and M.S.S.-Sadasivam family share a bond going back several decades. In fact, whenever she came to Bangalore for performances, she used to stay at my residence. My father-in-law, Mr Athmanathan (who even now stays at Kotturpuram in Chennai) was a kind of foster son to M.S.Mami and Sadasivam Mama, looking after them since he was a young boy. It was M.S.Mami and Sadasivam Mama who brought about my marriage. They officiated at all weddings and other functions of my family as our godparents.

Srini
Ram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SVS

Nice to know about your closeness to MS Amma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: