"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs marvel of MSV for actors under intoxication in films

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SR Shankar,

Congratulations on choosing a not-much-discussed topic of MSV's composition. This is one area where MSV's creativity has stunned me. The outstanding features of the 'inebriation excellence' will be even more accentuated if we compare the pathetic attempts of other MDs ('irandu manam vendum' by KVM and 'Kadhal enbadhu podhuvudaimai' by IR, to give just two examples of such songs by two MDs, whose several songs I admire).

You have covered the whole spectrum admirably without leaving much to be added. I will just add a couple of more observations just to register my participation. 'Aththai magal raththinaththa' belongs to a different category because the hero is not really inebriated but only feigns such a condition. I think we can discern the difference here. The style of singing and the modulations leave a clear indication of a pretentious drunken voice, distinguishable from a real tone of indication. There is a little of overdoing as it should happen with pretensions.

Two more songs that come to my mind are 'sollaathey yaarum kettaal' from Sorgam and 'kadavul padaichchaan' from Pokkiri Raaja (starring Rajnikant). 'Kadavul Padachchaan' is a classic kuththuppaattu. It is a lesson to the present day MDs on how a kuththuppaattu can be made melodious and immortal. The various traits of inebriation that manifest in this song are outstanding and SPB has done an excellent job. I heard it for the first time in Endrum MSV, rendered by Ananthu, about a year ago and I was astounded by the creation. Even MSV, who remarked that he did not remember composing this song, was observing with an expression of astonishment. I have written a posting on this at that time, which I reproduce below:

The final piece was 'Kadavul padaichchan' from Pokkiri Raaja.This was sung brilliantly by Ananthu. Since I generally disliked, 'Dabbanguththu' songs, I had never paid attention to this song so far. Perhaps I heard it fully for the first time only today. But this song i so brilliant. Dabbanguthu' paattaikkuuda arumaiyaagak kodukka mudiyum enbathai kaattiyirukkiraar MSV. This song requires what present day music judges on TV channels would call an 'open' singing. Ananthu, who normally appears shy and reserved, let himself go and did an excellent job. MSV was watching him with astonishment. At the end, he raised his thumb, in appreciation. Aadhavan recalled Panthulu telling MSV 'Sky is the limit' for composing songs for karnan and taunted MSV saying, "'Vaaname ellai endru pugundhu vilaiyaadi vitteergal!" MSV was very happy but said that he didn't recall composing this song. He said the same thing about 'indhap punnagai enna vilai' yesterday.

I think your observation that the activity in the forum has slumped due to the disappointment caused by the Padma awards may not be correct. I ,as many others are likely to, have not been expecting MSV to be honored by any Padma award now, when he is not being active as a film composer. Since the issue was raised by you, some of us have responded.

I think the dormancy of the forum is the culmination of the symptoms that have been showing up for a long time, a point on which our professor had commented upon, more than once. There has been a fall in interest among members for reasons that may be divergent. Professor, Raghasudha, Sai Saravanan, Sivakumar, Bhaskar, NY Murali and Yourself (Those whose names are not included may excuse me. I did not want this list to be long, for obvious reasons!) seem to be the only active contributors. I am excluding my name not out of humility but because of the fact that I have not made it to the list of active contributors. even the indefatigable professor seems to have given up (though it may only be a hibernation) after his last few posts elicited virtually no response. I accept guilt on my part as well, for not even responding actively, the one thing that I had been doing earlier, though I am not good at making original contributions.

My appeal to all members, both the active contributors and the passive readers is to make it a habit to post at least a short response appreciating, criticizing or at least acknowledging the painstaking posts made. aA controversial remark will be more welcome than a silent receiving.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.R.Shankar and Parthavi

Well written Very Happy and an interesting topic too !

Add few more :

1 Naan uyara uyara porigen neeyum vaa --------- Naan aanaiyittaal

2 Dhairiyamaaga chol nee manidhan thanaa ------- Oli vilakku

3 Enna uravo ...enna pirivo ------ Kalangarai vilakkam

4. Aanandha thaandavamoooo ---- Ninaithale inikkum

there may be many more !
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rangaswami sir,
Thanks for the wake up call again! The slumber seemingly is prolonging long now. Many stalwarts have gone into some kind of hibernation.

It used to be virtually a feast to keep reading various posts by such learned pundits on MM few years before. Especially I used to mainly read with lots of interest until one day there was a wake up call from Professor, and I started writing something, not very significant, of course. Slowly, there has been a lull now. But still there are some very nice posts appearing now and then. May be the seniors and elders like you have to revive the interest for keeping us alert.

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Shankar,
Coming back to the topic, there seem to be a song sung by our master himself: 'daagathukku thanni kudichen'. Do not know the details of this song. This song is quite unique since our MM himself has sung in such a manner. There are very few such songs sung by him in this 'genre'.

Another one appears in Mayor Meenatchi where MM sings with Vani jayram, in a similar manner.

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: