"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAANORU KAATHAL SANYAASI - THAVA PUTHALVAN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: NAANORU KAATHAL SANYAASI - THAVA PUTHALVAN Reply with quote

I happened to watch an interview of our EMPEROR during my early collegedays. I remember it was in Sun News, where He answered the questions of the school children (well-framed, of course). The interview was mainly of his various experiences during the composition. When mentioning about his song, he said so, "While working on this composition, I happened to hear the bhajan "Raghupathi Raghava Raajaram". Suddenly, I thought of composing a 'peppy' tune for this bhajan. And that's how the tune was born." I was surprised by the statement, and was curious to hear the song. Fortunately, I saw this movie sooner after that programme. I watched the movie, especially for this song. Totally dumb struck I was, when I heard the song. How come He composed such a tune, inspired by a bhajan!!!! Definitely "club-mooded", together with the seductive voice of LRE and English lyrics in between, an amazing experience!!!!

"ThavaPuthalvan" - one more movie that proved the talent of Nadigar Thilagam with its different storyline and the characterization. The hero, a wealthy, gifted musician, would be affected by the night-blindness from his family genes, much to his mothers' fears. He will try to hide it from her mother, but trapped in the plot of CID Sakunthala and gang, aiming for his wealth. The songs were very apt to the situation, and of course, the best. "இசை கேட்டால் புவி அசைந்தாடும்" took TMS to heights. It became one of his favorites in his stage programmes. And, never to forget Nadigar Thilagam, in his portrayal of Tanzen. Any other MD has used Sitar like this? Never before, Never after.

A "night club" song, where the hero would reluctantly play for his friends. Club song, so what else comes to our mind than the sizzling LRE. Our EMPEROR proves everytime at his singer selection that none else other than HIM could understand about their depths, even themselves. (Many occassions where singers were not confident, but our EMPEROR was and brought out the great from them). The male singer is Ajit Singh, any known people give an insight about him please. It is one of the very early songs with English and Tamil lyrics together, but both in an understable manner. Tamil lyrics was by Kannadasan and English by Randaarkai.

The prelude itself is so wonderful, Guitar raises fast two steps, and at the third, there is a slide, and strides down quickly. The drum closely supports the guitar in the travel. When the travel goes again, trumpet joins guitar while going up, but only trumpet reaches down. Guitar continues its stroll, this time accompanied by the frequent beats of bongos, and finished by the solo guitar and drums. Trumpets join with bongos here, the trumpets raising slowly by going over and over, and comes down slow too in a similar manner, opening the path for Ajit Singh to start.

"Love is fine darling when you are mine
No sun no shine like summer rain
Without you dear, life is pain
When you mine darling always fine"

All the lines end together with guitar and drums, the last line with a special touch of drums. What a composition!!! The third line prolongs in a similar way like "Eashwar Alla tero naam" and lowers like "Sabko sannadhi dhe bhagwan". Without EMPEROR himself telling, this would have never been noticed. The next line is a sudden high,

"It's always dream, never scream
See that screen, Ohh My Queen"

A high opening till "dream", together with a quick ending along with trumpets and drums. Finally, LRE joins with the chorus "Ra Ra Ra", starting at the high pitch and coming down steadily. It's LRE's turn now.

நானொரு காதல் சன்னியாசி
நாளொரு மேடை என் ராசி
ஊர் விட்டு ஊர் செல்லும் உல்லாசி
யாருக்கு நான் சொந்தம் நீ யோசி

Each line ends with the chorus of Ajith singh, supported by guitar and drums. The first prelude begins with the solo guitar raising high in eight steps, and coming down the same path, followed by the blow of trumpets with bongos. LRE begins the first charanam.

எழுபது வயது குமரனுக்கும்
என்னை ஒரு தரம் பார்த்தால் கிளுகிளுக்கும்

The last word "கிளுகிளுக்கும்" uttered so seductively. Ajit Singh continues after her,

"Come on, hold me tight baby
I like you so light
My eyes are turning bright
And am always straight, Yeah!!"

எழுபது வயது குமரனுக்கும்
என்னை ஒரு தரம் பார்த்தால் கிளுகிளுக்கும்
இருபது வயது கிழவனுக்கே
என்றும் என் மனம் இங்கே இடம் கொடுக்கும்

ஆனால்..... (Again beautiful LRE Touch...), the tune changes to a slow swing here.

இது வரை ஆண்களை தொட்டதில்லை
பிள்ளை இரண்டுக்கும் மேல் நான் பெற்றதில்லை
நானொரு காதல் சன்னியாசி
(The marvellous prolongation at the end of the pallavi, a "head mover")
நாளொரு மேடை என் ராசி

The entire charanam is supported by bongos and a solo guitar background. Ajit Singh announces "Well Folks!!! Times are changing, And So our fashion" with the drum and the bongo beats tapping slowly. The second interlude is a quick one, together with trumpets supported by bongos and drums, finished by the trumpets' blow for LRE to begin the next charanam.

முழுவதும் துறந்த ஞானியுண்டு
அந்த ஞானியின் வரிசையில் நானும் ஒன்று

"Life is Funny
So cool and sunny
And my heart just screams Woo-Woo"

முழுவதும் துறந்த ஞானியுண்டு
அந்த ஞானியின் வரிசையில் நானும் ஒன்று
பாசமும் பந்தமும் துறவிக்கில்லை
எந்த பேதமும் என் போல் அழகிக்கில்லை

ஆனால்.....

சொர்க்கத்தின் வழி சொல்ல தவஞானி
நான் சுகம் தர வழி சொல்லும் யுவ ராணி
நானொரு காதல் சன்னியாசி
நாளொரு மேடை என் ராசி

The charanam ends with a guitar and drums here, and a Ajit Singh continues the pallavi "It's always dream...". The song ends up by the "Ra Ra Ra" chorus of AS and LRE.

Nowadays, its been a habit for me, whenever I sing "Raghupathi Raghav raajaraam", I will somewhere pick up this tune and comes to "It's always dreaaaam..", and thats nothing but because of the magic of our EMPEROR.

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: WHAT A WAY TO COME BACK!!! Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan,

What a way to come back. The song you have researched about is one of my all time favourites for, THE EMPERROR as usual steals our hearts in the prelude itself. The way he has handled the brass, drums, rhythm section ought to teach a lesson for all those aspiring to be "good music directors" Very Happy

Couple of days back, me & venkat were closeted with the Legend in a recording theatre and he was in such a glorious mood started singing some great songs including Isai Kettal Puvi Asaindhadum simultaneously playing his Melody Generator (his harmonium that I address it this way) totally taking us by surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a Creator He is!. I am slowly running out of words to express (Prof. Raman, please come to my rescue Shocked ) my joy as he is sooooooooooooooooooooo down to earth when it comes to sharing his views with his rasikas. I thank God profusely for letting us live at the same time when the Legend literally lives physically ans mentally in our thoughts through His immortal music day in and day out. MSV MOMENTS - MOMENTS OF LIFE!!!

Long Live the Legend!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

இது வரை ஆண்களை தொட்டதில்லை
பிள்ளை இரண்டுக்கும் மேல் நான் பெற்றதில்லை

I think lyrics by Kavignar only Laughing Whoelse can !?

I would call it a Punch lyric Very Happy

Quote:
Each line ends with the chorus of Ajith singh, supported by guitar and drums. The first prelude begins with the solo guitar raising high in eight steps, and coming down the same path, followed by the blow of trumpets with bongos. LRE begins the first charanam

Terrific observation ! Cheers. this is the speciality of this superb song !

Superb writeup dear Kannan Very Happy

Can u take up Ninaithale inikkum songs as a separate thread & write .( Like USV )
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Balaji Sir!!!

I will work on that, surely.. Could not find time in the recent times because of work.. I will try to post frequently hereafter, and also planning to give all songs of "Ninaithaale Inikkum" at a stretch, even including those small song bits..

irenehastings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good writing Sriram Kannan,

A clean analysis about the song ' Naanoru kaadhal sanyaasi' from Dhavaputhalvan. You give both English and tamil lyrics fully, without missing even a small notes.

When I was reading this analysis, my mind automatically pushed me to another song

'Hello lover Mr. Right' by Usha Uthub in Idhayakani. Our MSV sir wonderfully covered that song with his compossing and archestration.

Can you please pour your detailed analysis on that song..?.

Also my advance congrads for your analysis about the songs of 'Ninaithaale Inikkum'.

Last edited by irenehastings on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Irene,

Luckily, I have this song in my collection. Very Happy A wonderful composition, for the English lyrics. Thinking about it, I remember another song from "Anbe Vaa", the slow melody with English lyrics at a hotel, where MGR, Asokan and Sarojadevi visits for the dinner. The melody would not have been noticed because of the conversation between MGR and Sarojadevi. Does anyone have this song ? Please let me know.

Ram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Sriram !!! The conversion of the Bhajan "Ragupathi Ragava" to a Club Dance is something that always amazed me and you rightly quoted. This shows the real creative genius.

You know what, I was not able to come out of this song for two days after your post reminded this song. The song was running in my mind throughout.

Great write-up !!!

Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Noticed in a book recently that the lyrics are written by Kavignar Vaali (Another similar confusion like "Mathavi Pon Mayilal", I suppose). But, I saw this in a website that the lyrics are by Kannadasan. I guess, the book has the correct information, as it is a compilation by Mr. Vamanan. Any known people, please help me in this confusion.

irenehastings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POOR VAALI

Dear Sriram,

Not only this two songs. many of the wonderful and meaningful songs, written by Valli, are credited to Kannadasan. Most of the people thinking that there was only Kannadasan who wrote all good lyrics.

Many times I heared, even well known cine personalities, who are referring to Vali's lyrics and finish with the sentence "aahhaa... Kannadasan enna aumaiyaa ezhuthiyirukkaar paarththeengalaa?".

Good Sriram, when you know the fact, you have corrected it.
A.SURI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello this song was also written by Valee.

A.SURI
Venkat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,
The english song in the movie Anbe Vaa is ""Adios Good Bye..." sung by Ms.Liban Bindey.
I don't know who is the lyrics. Should by Randor Guy.
A classic song.
AVM requested Sri MSV for a english song and our Master has composed very beautifully.
What a song...

I have a CD of Anbe Vaa and Enga Veetu Pillai release by Saregama.
This CD contains 9 songs from Anbe Vaa and 6 from EVP.
Naan parthathile... song humming romba beautifulla irukum.
Unfortunately antha bit CD-la illai.

You can get this CD in Music World or Landmark.

Two more wonderful songs with mixture of English.
Naanendral athu naanum avalum
Telugu - Bale bale... SPB and LRE from Maro Charitra
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAI EVERY BODY

THANKS FOR REMINDING THIS SONG. THE FIRST THING WHAT I DID WAS TO PLAY THIS SONG IN MY KEYBOARD. WHAT A COMPOSTION.

WHERE IS RAGAPATHI RAGHAVA RAJARAM AND WHERE THIS CLUB DANCE ?
AMAZING

N Y MURALI
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a recent episode of Enrendrum MSV of Megha TV, MSV mentioned this song 'Naanoru kaadhal sanyaasi' and sang 'Raghupathy Raaghava' and showed how he derived the tune for 'naanoru kaadhal sanyaasi' The moderator Aadhavan was stunned and he exclaimed in his inimitable chaste Tamil.'Ithu enna ThiruviLaiyaattu.'
The English lines were written by Randor Guy and the Tamil lyrics by the mischievous Vaali.
Which other composer would have been frank enough to share the inspiration for his composition?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: