"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Event :: Kannadasan-Viswanathan Trust - The Hindu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Event :: Kannadasan-Viswanathan Trust - The Hindu Reply with quote

In the name of an inseparable duo

The Hindu
Friday, Oct 22, 2004

At the inauguration of Kannadasan-Viswanathan Trust ... this lyricist-composer combination remains incomparable. — Pic. by K. V. Srinivasan

"EVEN AFTER I go away, wherever you perform you must sing my favourite song ... I will be there somewhere amidst the audience listening to it, Kannadasan had told me," said an emotion smitten M. S. Viswanathan as he went on to sing, "Pullaanguzhal Kodutha ... " MSV's voice always gets choked when he talks about his friend and colleague, the great composer Kannadasan, and that evening at Kumara Raja Muthiah Hall, Raja Annamalaipuram, was no exception.

The light music concert by MSV and his troupe that included singers S. P. Balasubramaniam, Susheela and L. R. Easwari was part of the event that marked the inauguration of Kannadasan-Viswanathan Trust. It was on October 17, the death anniversary of the great poet and lyricist.

More than the music, the anecdotes that MSV shared about some of the compositions sung made it a fiesta for ardent fans of the inimitable Kannadasan-MSV duo.

The composing of the "Vaan Nila Nilavalla ... " the evergreen SPB melody from "Pattina Pravesam," is an example. MSV had given Kannadasan the tune, "Naa Nana Nannanana ... " and was waiting for the words, but Kannadasan was not happy. "What tune are you giving me ... some Nanana ... I can't write for it," he sulked. "Haven't I set to music the lyrics you give without a murmur? Can't you do the same now?" MSV teased him and sang the same tune with "lalala ... "

"The lalala inspired Kannadasan to write this song that has all words ending with `la'," reminisced MSV.

The zest and energy of MSV, once the harmonium is placed before him, is incredible. And it was a delight to watch the open manner in which the septuagenarian thoroughly enjoyed SPB's improvisations for the song. SPB's art of captivating audiences with such melodic strains came to the fore that day too.

Those who have doubts about the state of P. Susheela's voice as it is today ought to have listened to her as she came out with a near-flawless rendition of "Vanakkam ... " with Kovai Murali playing an apt replacement for T.M. Soundararajan.

You could see thespian Sivaji Ganesan in your mind's eye as Murali sang this and the more challenging "Madhavi Pon Mayilaal ... " However the same cannot be said of L. R. Easwari. Easwari was her usual effervescent self all right, but sadly her voice didn't co-operate as she went on with her all-time hit, "Aadavarellaam Aadavaralaam ... "

Music tracks recorded on CDs and used on stage as background score, with musicians hardly playing on the instruments before them, is a disconcerting trend in the light music scenario today. So you were glad to watch a live orchestra in action, with MSV conducting it and T. K. Ramamurthy, his erstwhile partner on the violin, doing his bit.

Earlier the guests on stage included M.A.M. Ramasamy, M.P., A. V. M. Saravanan, film director S. P. Muthuraman, Nalli Kuppusamy Chetty, `Krishna Sweets' Murali, actor Manorama and MSV himself. Most of them came up to the mike to share their thoughts about and experiences with the great Kannadasan.

Each extolled the versatility of the poet and wished the Trust an eventful future. Every year pattimandrams, debates, speeches and literary and poetic meets should be regular features of the Trust, suggested M. A. M. Ramasamy.

The highlight was Vaali's speech laced with poetry — it was the first memorial lecture of the Trust. "The honour is of historic importance for me," said Vaali.

His casual, conversational tone, candid recollections about the Kannadasan-MSV-Vaali connection, his incredible sense of humour and poetic skill, made it a delectable experience.

No event concerning Kannadasan is complete without Kaverimaindhan. He was busy throughout introducing the speakers and hovering around the stage, working hard to make the evening a success. Such is the young man's fascination for the lyricist and poet and such is the regard that Kannadasan has earned.

MALATHI RANGARAJAN

Source: http://www.hindu.com/fr/2004/10/22/stories/2004102202950700.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: