"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SORGAM PAKKATHIL - ENGA MAMA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: SORGAM PAKKATHIL - ENGA MAMA Reply with quote

Here is another song, that shows the extensive knowledge over the Western Music by our EMPEROR. A complete "foot tapping" song, the "dancing" sensation maintained throughout. Our EMPEROR is at His best in utilising the instruments, the orchestration would make anyone give a standing ovation. I imagine the practice and hardwork behind this song, especially the prelude and the interludes, the range of instruments lining up to welcome us to the party, and to feel the happiness and joy cast by our EMPEROR upon us.

Another Shivaji - Jayalalitha - Balaji combination, "Enga Maama" was another musical hit (I would call this only a musical hit, as all the credits goes to our EMPEROR only, especially due to the melodies "Ellorum nalam vaazha naan paaduven" and "Chella kiligalaam palliyile", apt to the situation with Sivaji's expressions best in these songs). The movie has other good songs - "Naan Thanthanikaattu Raja" and "Ennanga Sollunga" (my another favorite). Like piano mesmerizes the audience in "ellorum nalam vaazha naan paaduven", here the show turners are mandolin, guitar and accordion.

The song happens in a hotel during the birthday celebration of Balaji, where Shivaji, the hotel singer and "Vennira Aadai" Nirmala, Balaji's then-current-date dances in the song. (Another proof for a remake movie - the hotel is of North Indian style, and all the ladies featuring in the scene would be wearing sarees in North Indian style.)

Who else our EMPEROR will call for a party song, to bring up the tempo from the first word and till the end, than TMS and LRE ? This pair turned out to be a huge success in "peppy" songs irrespective of the cast involved. (Similarly, TMS-PS pair was a success for romantic numbers, ultimately the master singer involved in both, paired with the best female singers, together with the MASTER CREATOR at the back in composition).

The opening of the prelude itself is so enthusiatic, mandolin supported by drums, spreading the joy of the party, soon guitar joining, forming a zealous pair, our heads start nodding to the tune. Accordion takes over the joyful music from them, slowly taking us to the stage, accompanied by trumpet and sax at the end playing the words "Sorgam Pakkathil" (What a music!!! Accordion dragging us to the happiness, sax and trumpet announcing often "Come on, Come on!! Paradise is close!!!" ). Violins repeat the bit of accordion again, trumpets at the end keep calling us to join, before giving to TMS.

TMS begins with bongos, "Sorkam Pakkathil" (I love the bongos beat after this word is uttered), the lyrics and his voice striding along matching the tune, and stops at "Pennin Vannathil", LRE taking the lead from "Pennin Vannathil" and continues, chorus accompaying at the end with "la la lalalala".

The first interlude begins with a wonderful blend of mandolin and guitar, mandolin in the foreground, guitar at the back, both supported by drums, later by sax and trumpet, sax in the foreground, followed by trumpet at the back, both supported by drums. Violins then take us a tour of the paradise, we floating together with it. When they repeat the tour again, flute joins us hopping along.

TMS begins the charanam at "Neela vizhi Muthu Panthal" backed by drums and bongos. A very clear pronounciation, despite the "peppy" tune (Singers of this generation has to learn more from this pair!!!). The humming follows the end of the line, LRE taking at "Netru varai enge endru" finished by the humming, bongos at the end. Then begins the most intersting part of the song, TMS and LRE exchanging teases "Konjam Vaa", "Konja Vaa", "Kitta Vaa", "Killa Vaa". When the lady sings, "Sollile Sollavo, Tholile Allava"(LRE at her best here), both guitar and accordion approves in unison, joining us to the pallavi. What a combination!!!! The drums maintains its beats throughout the charanam, bongos at the proper places.

The second interlude opens with the flute, slowly raising up, met by trumpet and violins, flute then moving in a swift motion followed by the rhythm of the guitar, then sax picking us up, followed by guitar, and then again by sax, finished by the flute itself, in its quickened motion. TMS begins with "Indru mudhal aanum pennum", humming following him. LRE follows him with "Naalai varum Kavignar koottam", ended by humming. The teases come again, "Ondru Naan", "Ondru Nee", "Ondrile", "Ondru Naam" (crown the poet!!!). I love the following line - "Thanimayo Oridam.. Ulagame Nammidam" - Great use of the abstract noun!!! Everyone tied in the music of our EMPEROR, leaving the loneliness alone. The guitar and accordion following the line approves it.

Accordion raises at the end, trumpet repeating the pallavi with the drums, each line ended by accordion and guitar, the party reaching the climax, everyone awed at the marvellous orchestration of the EMPEROR.

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SORGAM PAKKATHIL - ENGA MAMA Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan...

What a wonderful analysis about the wonderful song 'Sorkam pakkaththil' one of my favourite peppy number, for the two special reasons of which one is for the fantastic composission of our Mellisai Chakravarthy along with TMS &LRE, and the other reason we can see the slimmest Shivaji with delightful meroon full suit. The roaring instruments will make us the situation of a musical paradise. You analysed line by line, word by word with the instruments used for them.

He poured all the western instruments (he is the one introduced them to tamil industry) in this song in appropriate situations. I cant understand why he is NOT advertising these kind of difficult compossings atleast in his interviews, without just saying "naan enna panninen... ellaam avan panninaan......". I will have little anger on him by this statements, because of my affection on him "indha manidhar yen ippadi aniyaayaththukku adakkamaaga irukkiraar...?".

Sriram Kannan wrote:
"Enga Maama" was another musical hit (I would call this only a musical hit, as all the credits goes to our EMPEROR only, especially due to the melodies "Ellorum nalam vaazha naan paaduven" and "Chella kiligalaam palliyile", apt to the situation with Sivaji's expressions best in these songs). The movie has other good songs - "Naan Thanthanikaattu Raja" and "Ennanga Sollunga" (my another favorite). Like piano mesmerizes the audience in "ellorum nalam vaazha naan paaduven", here the show turners are mandolin, guitar and accordion.

....and another solo of Suseela (Jayalalitha dancing in the same club) with roaring preludes "Paavai paavathaan.. aasai aasaithaan" which is one of the best Bangos special, particularly at the end of 'thaane vandhaal vaasam illaiyO'. What is the instrument used at the end of 'konjalaam...konjalaam...konjalaam'...?

(ponnai thattip pOttukkondaal
kannil mattum minnalaam
ennaik kattippOttukkondaal
kannamthottu konjalaam konjalaam konjalaam)

Sriram Kannan wrote:
The song happens in a hotel during the birthday celebration of Balaji, where Shivaji, the hotel singer and "Vennira Aadai" Nirmala, Balaji's then-current-date dances in the song. (Another proof for a remake movie - the hotel is of North Indian style, and all the ladies featuring in the scene would be wearing sarees in North Indian style.)

Not only this.....

After 'enga mama', when I watched Hindi 'brahmachari' I just stunned. Even the dresses of the children and the dress style of Thengai and Cho also dito of hindi version. Why ACT done like this...?.

raghavankannan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madam,

Since the Director got full faith on our EMPEROR he had repeated everything from the hindi version except the MUSIC.

Rgds

Raghavankannan
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SORGAM PAKKATHIL - ENGA MAMA Reply with quote

saradhaa_sn wrote:
and another solo of Suseela (Jayalalitha dancing in the same club) with roaring preludes "Paavai paavathaan.. aasai aasaithaan" which is one of the best Bangos special, particularly at the end of 'thaane vandhaal vaasam illaiyO'. What is the instrument used at the end of 'konjalaam...konjalaam...konjalaam'...?

(ponnai thattip pOttukkondaal
kannil mattum minnalaam
ennaik kattippOttukkondaal
kannamthottu konjalaam konjalaam konjalaam)

Thanks for reminding, Saradha Madam!!!

The presence of this song just struck me after seeing your post. I love this song (especially the way Bongos used in the song), but somehow do not remember all the time that this song is from "Enga Maama".

irenehastings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,

Great analysis about this song SORKAM PAKKATHIL. I love this song (yaarukkuthaan pidikaathu ?) verymuch for its excellent compossing, with heavy instrumental touch.

Whenever I think about the movie Enga Mama, suddenly comes in mind is the leaning pose of Nadigar Thilagam Shivaji with accardian in his hand, which is of this song.

no doubt, enga Mama is a musical treat by Mellisai Mannar.

Recently I was fortunated to watch the 'Malarum Ninaivugal' of Vennira Aadai Nirmala (one of the very beautiful actress of yester years) in a TV channel. She shared her memories with the actors she performed. She told about MGR and telecasted the song 'Kannil therigindra vaanam' from Ragasiya Police and 'thotta idamellaam' from Idhayakani. When she told about Shivaji, she picked one emotional scene of Babu and this (sorkam pakkathil) song from Enga Mama. When she telecasted this song she not only told about Shivaji, also PRAISED OUR MELLISAI MANNAR to the maximum. She mentioned MSV is a great gift by God to our cine field.

Thanks Nirmalaji. Among the thankless cine field, atleast few people like you remembering and mentioning about the great musical saint.
msvramki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

டியர் ஸ்ரீராம், சாரதா,

மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் இசை வெள்ளத்திற்கு ஒரு முக்கிய உதாரணமான 'எங்க மாமா' படத்திலிருந்து எல்லாப்பாடல்களையும்
இருவரும் மிக அருமையாக அலசியிருக்கிறீர்கள் !

ஒவ்வொரு பாடல் குறித்து வாழ்நாள் முழுவதும் அனுபவித்து எழுதிக்கொண்டே இருக்கலாம்.

"நான் தன்னந்தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா" - குழந்தைகளைக் குதூகலிக்கவைக்கும் இசை !

"செல்லக்கிளிகளாம் பள்ளியிலே" - இரவின் மடியில் உலகத்தையே தாலாட்டி உறங்க வைக்கும் பாடல் !

இதன் சோக version, அதே தூக்கத்தை குலைத்து உருக வைக்கும் !

"என்னங்க சொல்லுங்க" - முற்றிலும் புதுமையான இசை - பல்லவியில் ஒரு தாள நடை, அனுபல்லவியில் மற்றொரு நடை, சரணத்தில் இன்னொரு விதம் !! அருமை ! ஏன் இப்பாடலெல்லாம் ஒளிபரப்ப மாட்டேன் என்கிறார்கள், ரசனையற்றவர்கள் ?

"சொர்கம் பக்கத்தில்" - நன்றே அலசப்பட்ட துள்ளவைக்கும் பாடல் -
அதிலும் " நீலவிழி முத்துப்பந்தல் .... காதல் செய்யட்டும் ம் ம் ம்ம் ம்ம்.... ' என்று ஒரு ஹம்மிங் ஒரு ஏற்றத்துடன் அடுத்த் வரியை எடுத்துக்கொடுக்குமே .. ஆஹா .. ( ராம் ! இந்த இடத்தின் இசை அழகை எத்தனை முறை கேட்டு ரசித்திருக்கிறோம் !)மெல்லிசைமன்னருக்கு மட்டுமே உதிக்கும் கற்பனை ! அந்த அற்புத விரல்களுக்கு எத்தனை மோதிரங்கள்தான் போடமுடியும் ?

"எல்லோரும் ந்லம் வாழ" - ஆர்கெஸ்ட்ரேஷனுக்கு ஒரு இணையற்ற
உதாரணம் ! பியானொ, ஸ்ட்ரிங்ஸ், ட்ரம்பெட் - இதைக் கேட்டு இன்றைய இளைய இசை (?)யமப்பாளர்கள் தங்கள் வல்லமையை (?) பெருக்கிக்கொள்ளலாம் !

"பாவை பாவை தான்" - பாங்கோ இசைக்கும் அழகு - எம்.எஸ்.வி யின் கூடவேயே ஆரம்பத்திலிருந்து இருந்த கோபாலகிருஷ்ணந்தான் பாங்கோ வாசித்தவர் . இவரை தன் எல்லாக்கச்சேரி மேடைகளிலும் எம் எஸ் வி அன்புடன் அறிமுகப்படுத்தும் அழகே அழகு ! ராம் எம் எஸ் வியின் மேடைக்கச்சேரியில் மிருதங்கம் வாசித்த போது ஸ்ருதி சேர்த்துக்கொடுத்தவர் இவர்தான் ! எம். எஸ்.வி அந்த மேடையில் ராமை அறிமுகம் செய்துவிட்டு சொன்னார் - " கோபாலகிருஷ்ணன் , எழுந்திரு, இந்தக் குழந்தை மிருதங்கம் வாசிக்க வேண்டியதையெல்லாம் செய் ! " . இதன் விடியோ என்னிடம் இருக்கிறது - நாம் எல்லாரும் சந்திக்கும் போது காண்பிக்கிறேன்.

இப்பாடல் போலவே "நில் கவனி காதலி" படத்தில் வரும் " கண்களுக்கென்ன காவல் இல்லையோ " பாங்கோ வாசிப்புக்கு மற்றும் ஒரு அசத்தும் உதாரணம்.

பாவை பாவைதான் பாங்கோ கேட்டு, கேட்டு, கேட்டு..... என் கல்லூரி ஆர்கெழ்ஸ்ட்ராவில் வாசிக்க முயன்று பலமுறை தோல்வியைத்தழுவியவன் நான் !!!

சாரதா சொல்லியது போல சிவாஜியின் இளமை, துடிப்பு, ஜெயலலிதாவின் அழகு, மெல்லிசைமன்னரின் அற்புத இசை யாவும் இப்படத்திற்கு மெருகூட்டியிருக்கும் ( ஹிந்திப் படத்தை அப்படியே ஸீனுக்கு ஸீன் காப்பி அடித்திருப்பினும் ).

என் இனிய இளமை நாட்களை நினைக்கத்தூண்டிய ஸ்ரீராம், சாரதா, வெங்கட்டுக்கு நன்றி !!

ராம்கி.

Last edited by msvramki on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to share how dad and myself used to listen to this song.

The best part of this song is the humming in Charanam ....

"TMS: Neela vizhi muthp pandhal nenjai thottu paadam sollattum...hmmmmm.... hmmmmmm...LRE: Netru varai Enge Endru thedum Ullam Vaangi Kollattum

[STOP]

[REWIND]

(Interlude flute finishes"TMS: Neela vizhi muthp pandhal nenjai thottu paadam sollattum...hmmmmm.... hmmmmmm...LRE: Netru varai Enge Endru thedum Ullam Vaangi Kollattum

[STOP]

[REWIND]

(Interlude flute finishes.... "TMS: Neela vizhi muthp pandhal nenjai thottu paadam sollattum...hmmmmm.... hmmmmmm...LRE: Netru varai Enge Endru thedum Ullam Vaangi Kollattum

[STOP]

[REWIND]

(Interlude flute finishes...."TMS: Neela vizhi muthp pandhal nenjai thottu paadam sollattum...hmmmmm.... hmmmmmm...LRE: Netru varai Enge Endru thedum Ullam Vaangi Kollattum

[STOP]

[REWIND]
and go on like this....

And finally we will decide to listen the song completely...!!!

What a Melody Maker he is !!!!
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ramki Sir!!!!

Writing about His creations(melodies) would require a lifetime.. But, our EMPEROR has orchestrated them in three decades!!!

madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Pick a Song and Analyze-Sorgam Pakkathil Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sriram Kannan,
In response to Mr.Ram's way of enjoying MSV's compositions, You have admired that MM had done these in three decades. Honestly, you being an ardent admirer of MSV, you have [like MSV] compressed a megatruth to abject simplicity. If you probe the history of all those songs and leave out the time taken by core groups to accept a tune, MSV would have just taken only the time absolutely essential for every song. SONGS CREATED IN 3 MINUTES ARE STILL LINGERING OVER THE WORLD TRANSCENDING THE LIMITATIONS OF AGE AND SOCIAL AMBIENCE. As a ollege student, when a US based visitor requested my help for him buy a gramaphone record for the song 'Raajavin Paarvai' from Anbe vaa, I was stunned in 1967 on his observation that there is world of music in this one song. He has been a listener of all genre of music from across the globe. What a hefty tribute! Also, please look at Nenjil ore Aalayam; all songs live to-date of a whole movie project done in 28 days. How much time MSV would have had to race against ? There is just no dull fraction anywhere in all those movie-driving songs. My honest submission is MSV is a divine product straight from the heavens with Saraswathi's blessings in abundance , but remains silent like Goddess Saraswathi. What else!
Warm egards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pick a Song and Analyze-Sorgam Pakkathil Reply with quote

madhuraman wrote:
My honest submission is MSV is a divine product straight from the heavens with Saraswathi's blessings in abundance , but remains silent like Goddess Saraswathi. What else!

Now, it is you, who compressed a megatruth to simplicity, Prof Sir!!! If anyone would have made such achievements, (even half of it!!! But thats impossible..) would be treated as "God" by the TF industry (Thats what happening now, I feel) Your notation of referring him as MM is very true (Mastermind with Modesty.. Or you refer him just because of that??) Only a person like him can say about his amazing creations as "It's nothing but a good teamwork".

saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irenehastings wrote:
Recently I was fortunated to watch the 'Malarum Ninaivugal' of Vennira Aadai Nirmala (one of the very beautiful actress of yester years) in a TV channel. She shared her memories with the actors she performed. She told about MGR and telecasted the song 'Kannil therigindra vaanam' from Ragasiya Police and 'thotta idamellaam' from Idhayakani. When she told about Shivaji, she picked one emotional scene of Babu and this (sorkam pakkathil) song from Enga Mama. When she telecasted this song she not only told about Shivaji, also PRAISED OUR MELLISAI MANNAR to the maximum. She mentioned MSV is a great gift by God to our cine field.

Thanks Nirmalaji. Among the thankless cine field, atleast few people like you remembering and mentioning about the great musical saint.

டியர் Irene...

'வெண்ணிற ஆடை' நிர்மலாவின் 'மலரும் நினைவுகள்' பகுதியில் நமது மெல்லிசை மன்னரைப்பற்றி அவர் கூறியிருந்தவற்றை நீங்கள் சொல்லியிருப்பதைப் படிக்கும்போது மகிழ்ச்சியாக உள்ளது. அவரால் உயர்ந்தவர்களே அவரை மறந்து போகின்ற இக்காலத்தில் நிர்மலாவின் கருத்து உண்மையில் பாராட்டுக்குரியது. இப்படியும் நடிகையர் இருக்கத்தான் செய்கின்றனர்.
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msvramki wrote:
"எல்லோரும் ந்லம் வாழ" - ஆர்கெஸ்ட்ரேஷனுக்கு ஒரு இணையற்ற
உதாரணம் ! பியானொ, ஸ்ட்ரிங்ஸ், ட்ரம்பெட் - இதைக் கேட்டு இன்றைய இளைய இசை (?)யமப்பாளர்கள் தங்கள் வல்லமையை (?) பெருக்கிக்கொள்ளலாம் !

சும்மா இருங்க அண்ணா, நீங்க வேற....

அப்புறம் இந்தப்பாடலையும் 'ரீமிக்ஸ்' பண்ணுகிறேன் என்று கெடுத்து குட்டிச்சுவர் பண்ணி விடுவார்கள். அவர்களெல்லாம் இந்தப்பாடல்களை கேட்காமல் இருப்பதே நல்லது.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another wonderful post ! This song is one of my all time MSV favourites for the superb orchestration. Like Ramky-Ram , I too like the extended humming during the charanam….neela vizi muthupandhal……… & NT’s reaction will be funny & enjoyable……MSV always had that special touch in many songs & that’s why he is a Genius.
Nadigar Thilagam will be very smart looking and dance cheerfully with an accordion !

Many guys today carry the wrong impression that MSV didn’t give lengthy ludes. I wish they listen to this song first. Prelude itself is one of the lengthiest & orchestration in full flow ….

IMO, the best part is that sudden trumphet blowing in 2nd prelude playing the pallavi & finishing off with a sweet drum ……that’s class

And when TMS sings Ondru naan….Ondrile ….. you will feel the presence of Shivaji Ganesan …… TMS is unbeatable….. the ultimate male singer of tfm……

For LR Easwari, this song is like eating Halwa ………

Mellisai Mannar rulezzzzzzzzzzz

Saradhaji has written a very lenghty nice article earlier on this movie . Pls read it.

Cheers to Sriram Kannan
jeyaramg1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan :

This is an excellent analysis on an everlasting wonder of our great MM. Just one point I would like to add is the background sheet of violins , adding harmony to the song , in the Pallavi, in the typical master's style.
It's my observation that this song is ahead of its time by a century.

Ram and Ramki': 'Stop and Replay' of the Charanam is a big problem (!!!!) for many of our master's songs. This is why I called his music Daunting in a diff article. Very true !

Best Regards
Jeyaram G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: