"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELLO MY DEAR WRONG NUMBER - MANMATHA LEELAI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: HELLO MY DEAR WRONG NUMBER - MANMATHA LEELAI Reply with quote

One of the singers chosen is an expert in handling Carnatic Ragas. The other one has mastered the jazz singing. A western string instrument and a Carnatic percussion at the background. What these opposites can accomplish ? They would result in a seductive song, absolutely tantalizing, if handled by a MASTER!!!

I watched this movie in Raj TV few years ago, with lots of 'cuts'. Luckily, none of the song sequences were 'cut'. Having watched tons of KB movies, I normally think of why KB keeps switching between MSV and VK. But, looking a bit more, one thing got clear. If KB relies more on the story, he would think about chances of switching. But, when it comes to pure entertainment, KB's unianimous choice would be the EMPEROR. "Poova Thalaiya", "Anubhavi Raaja Anubhavi", "Manmatha Leelai", "Ninaithaale Inikkum", "Naan Avan Illai", "Thillu Mullu" are few examples, all of them musical hits as well. (If there are entertainment movies of KB with other than EMPEROR and a hit, please do let me know).

"Manmatha Leelai" - the story of a married casanova - starring Kamalhassan and Alam (I remember seeing her in Ennai Pol Oruvan's "Velaale Vizhigal" ) was absolutely a musical hit. The hero, though married, still lustful behind ladies, trying to seduce them if given a chance. He proves to be successful in almost every attempt, but when exposed to his wife, she leaves him and his life begins to fall apart. (I like the character of the Iyer, to whom Kamal confesses thereby making him feel penittent). The song is during a situation, where hero tries to seduce a lady to whom he is acquainted only through phone. I don't remember the lady featured in this song.

KJY and LRE pairs this song. Both the songs of KJY in this movie were hits, the other being "Manaivi Amaivathellaam". How come the EMPEROR thought of pairing them for a sizzling romantic, using Guitar and Mridangam as the background??? He is not only the EMPEROR of Melodies, but of Mysteries as well (Courtesy : Jayaram Sir!!! and his excellent post). The pair is perfect, voice of KJY matching the guy, expressing his interests in meeting his anonymous admirer in real, and LRE for the girl, refusing them in a mild, but teasing way. Also, the way EMPEROR switches guitar and mridangam between lyrics is awesome (Especially, the raised tap of mridangam when taking over from the guitar in pallavi).

KJY starts the song "Hello My Dear Wrong Number", guitar moving along with slight tapping of mridangam for the first two lines. When he repeats "Ketkave Unthan Kural Sorgam", mridangam takes over now backing the guitar, harmonica joining along and finishing each line of KJY. The impression created by KJY at "Karpanai Oraayiram, Oru Murai Paarthaal Enna" is priceless. But, all these could not match the way LRE saying "Hello". The voice is still like a cute girl, despite ages. Hats off!!! LRE starts with "Ketpathil Theerum ungal Thaagam", with guitar. Likewise, when she repeats the line, mridangam takes the back.

The first interlude comprises of an excellent blend of veena and violin, mridangam at the back moving slowly. The violins raise a little while veena goes down, the pattern repeating till KJY starts the charanam. KJY begins with "Kaviriyin Meeno", expressing his anxiety about her beauty, only mridangam at the background till "Devamagal Thaano, thedi varalaamo". LRE gives her refusal "Not yet!!" and begins "Poovai enai paarthal", now only guitar moving along. Mridangam resumes again with KJY at "Karpanai Oraayiram".

The second interlude begins with accordion and veena, followed by trumpet and violin, all in the mridangam background. Veena raises slowly at the end of the interlude for LRE. LRE begins with mridangam now from "Unnidathil Kaadhal" followed by KJY ("Ennavendru Solven unnaiyandri Yaaro"). For LRE, guitar comes back, the same pattern maintained like the previous charanam, at "Veli ulla mullai",and KJY finishing the charanam. The message given by LRE comes in the last line "Porumaiyudan irungal", KJY replying in a mockery "muthumai varum varaiyo".

All together, a fantastic romance, brought in a mixture of western and carnatic instruments, the EMPEROR proves his mastery in melodies.

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Sriram Kannan on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriram K,

Simply superb ! Splendid write up on MSV’s innovative song of the 70s when he was ruling the music . Was it Jayapradha the other end ?

You are right. Wonder why Mridangam for a telephonic exchange !!!! The Master only can answer

I suspect some raga also omnipresent in the song ……………… NVS/Sampathji / SRS ……..Pls enlighten..

And for NVS / Sampath….this is an apt song for tech. analysis ……… Pls give a start….

I think , during this period, MSV was experimenting a lot with KJY and SPB to match with Rajini / Kamal / Vijaykumar / Jai Ganesh….

And mind you, this movie has a gem of a song………Nadhamennum kovilile !!

Sriram….thanks a lot for unearthing another beauty from the Master

Cheers Very Happy
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriram Kannan wrote:
The song is during a situation, where hero tries to seduce a lady to whom he is acquainted only through phone. I don't remember the lady featured in this song.

S.Balaji wrote:
Sriram K,

Simply superb ! Splendid write up on MSV’s innovative song of the 70s when he was ruling the music . Was it Jayapradha the other end ?

Dear Sriram & Balaji,

She is Y.VIJAYA.

Later on she was called (purely because of this song) as "Wrong number Y.Vijaya".

Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Balaji Sir!!!

It was not Jayaprada, I know that. Though she acted in this movie, she does not come in this song. There is another one for her "Netroru Menagai, Inroru Oorvasi", with Kamal, Jayaprada and Radaravi (Think this is the debut movie for Radaravi.. Someone let me know please) The actress in this song sequence has acted as the elder sister of Sridevi in "Moondru Mudichu" (hope u remember now Very Happy )

When our EMPEROR has stopped experimenting, that he had to work especially this time? Since His entry, he had started his experimenting and been successful in every step (starting with replacing PBS for Gemini from AMR). Yeah, you are right. He tried different voices for Kamal, Rajini, Vijaykumar and Jaiganesh, that gave so many variety of singers to us that time.

Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saradhaa_sn wrote:
Sriram Kannan wrote:
The song is during a situation, where hero tries to seduce a lady to whom he is acquainted only through phone. I don't remember the lady featured in this song.

S.Balaji wrote:
Sriram K,

Dear Sriram & Balaji,

She is Y.VIJAYA.

Later on she was called (purely because of this song) as "Wrong number Y.Vijaya".

Thanks Saradha Madam!!!

saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: HELLO MY DEAR WRONG NUMBER
Movie: Manmadha Leelai
Lyric : Kannadasan
Music: Mellisai Mannar-the great
Singers : K.J.Yesudoss & L.R.Easwari
Direction : K.Balachander
Starring: Kamal Haasan & Y.Vijaya

KJY: Hello
LRE: Hello

KJY:
Hello my dear wrong number
hello mydear wrong number
ketkave undhan kural sorkam
neriley paarthaal enna vetkam
karpanai oraayiram..mmmm..mmm
karpanai orayiram..
oru murai paarththal enna...

LRE: Hello....
ketpathil theerum ungal thaagam
neriley paarthaal enna laabam
arputham yethum illai
adhisaya penmai illai...hello

KJY:kaaviriyin meeno

LRE: no...

KJY: poo vadiyum theno..

LRE: no...no...

KJY: dheva magal thaano...thedi varalaamo...

LRE: not yet
Poovai enai paarththaal...kaathal vara koodum
poojai arai paarvai...aasai thara koodum

KJY: I dont mind
karpanai oraayiram
oru murai paarthaal enna...

LRE: Hello
Unnidaththil kaadhal...ullavargal yaaro

KJY: ennavendru solven... unnaiyandri yaaro

LRE: veli innum illai

KJY: veli enakkillai

LRE: Porumaiyudan irungal

KJY: muthumai varum varaiyo..

Hello my dear wrong number...
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Pick a Song and Analyze! -Manmadha Leelai Reply with quote

Dear SK and others,
Manmadha leelai owed its popularity to MM's deviant style of composing and orchestration. In fact, once in 4 years or so MSV used to locate an occasion, when he would suddenly adopt a different pattern to score music. This has proved an instant hit. Now on to the number
Naetru menagai Indroru oorvasi feom M Leelai. It was sung by one
Mr. AV Ramanan [Now of course he pretends of not knowing MSV and he went so low in public esteem, when he ascribed Karnan Songs to KVM] In this movie[ M L], the Director-KB and MD -MSV have re-used MK ThiyagarajaBhadavathar's famous number"Manmadha leelaiyai Venraar Undo?" in bits when a Horse is shown treading backwards. It was an effort to suggest the retrograde mind of the hero while the MD preserved the same song itself to impress the upon the time-tested fundamental fact that man succumbs to lusty temptation.Now-a-days MDs have no guts [honesty?] to play an original song through necessary at a spot; but would choose to live on the established glories of a song by attempting a "remix". There is displeasure among the audience that the original composer is not even acknowledged. While on moral grounds the contention is tenable, I sincerely feel that by hiding the name of the original composer, a small benefit accrues to the I composer. There is no risk of the I composer being mistaken for the stupidity generated by a
so-called MD who shamelessly copies an old number.
There is so much to recall from every one of MM's glorious contributions to TFM.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: An Amazing Dharmavathi !!! Reply with quote

"ஹலோ மை டியர் ராங் நம்பர்"

"தர்மவதி" ராகத்தில் அமைந்த அற்புதப் பாடல் இது. இந்த ராகத்தை இவ்வளவு புதுமைமையாக எப்படிக் கொடுக்க இயலும்? என்கிற கேள்விக்கு எவராலும் பதில் கூற முடியாது. என்ன புதுமை? என்ன ரசனை?

மிருதங்கத்தை இந்த சூழலுக்குப் பயன் படுத்தியது ரொம்பவே புதுமை என்று கருத்துகளை இங்கு பார்க்கிறோம். ஆனால் 'தர்மவதியை' இங்கு கொண்டு வந்தது ஒரு மிகப்பெரிய வியப்பு. 'தர்மவதி இப்படித் தான் இருக்க வேண்டும்' என்று இப்பாடலைக் கேட்கும் வரை நினைத்துக் கொண்டிருப்பவர்களுக்குக் கிட்டுவது - வாயடைப்பு!

59 வது மேளகர்த்தா ராகத்தை இப்படி ஒரு சூழலுக்கு எடுத்து, அதில் இப்படி மிகப் பொருத்தமான மெட்டை அமைத்து - இது மெல்லிசை மன்னரால் மட்டுமே சாத்தியம் !!!

இந்த ராகத்தின் ஸ்வரங்கள் ஸ ரி2 க2 ம2 ப த2 நி3 ஸ. எப்படி இந்த ராகத்தை 'Build' செய்கிறார் என்பதைப் பார்ப்போம்.

மேல் ஸ்வரங்களில் பாடலின் பல்லவி:

ஹலோ மை டியர் ராங் நம்பர்
ஹலோ மை டியர் ராங் நம்பர்

உடனே கீழே:

கேட்கவே உந்தன் குரல் சொர்க்கம்
நேரிலே பார்த்தால் என்ன வெட்கம்

மறுமுறை "கேட்கவே" வரும் போது அற்புதமாக மிருதங்கம் தொடங்கும்.

அடுத்து இருக்கிறது வேடிக்கை...

இது வரை 'தர்மவதியை' லேசாகக் காட்டிவிட்டு....

"கற்பனை ஓராயிரம்..." எனும் போது ஒரு கச்சேரியில் வித்வான் ஆலாபனை செய்யும் அளவிற்கு ஆழம் வந்து விடும். சரி, ஆலாபனை கொஞ்சம் தொடரும் என்று 'சராசரி' மனித ரசனை எதிர்பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருக்கும் போது வந்து விழும் ஒரு சங்கதி.

"ஒரு முறை பார்த்தால் என்ன...." சப்தமும் அடங்கி விட்ட உணர்வு!

நான்கே வார்த்தைகளில் அழகாக மேலே போய் விட்டு, அவரோகணத்தில் சறுக்கிக் கொண்டு வரும் சங்கதி "என்ன" என்கிற வார்த்தை முடிகையில் !!! என்ன சொல்லி வர்ணிப்பது !!!

இதே 'Pattern' பாடல் முழுவதும் வருமாறு காணலாம். எல்.ஆர்.ஈஸ்வரி பாடுகையில்:

"கேட்பதில் தீரும் உங்கள் தாகம்
நேரிலே பார்த்தால் என்ன லாபம்
"

முடிந்து,

"அற்புதம் ஏதும் இல்லை
அதிசய பெண்மை
இல்லை"

ஆனால் இந்த 'இல்லை' ஜேசுதாசின் "என்ன" வைப் போல் கனமாக இல்லாமல் கொஞ்சம் இதமாக, மெதுவாக இருக்கும் !!! இந்த வேறுபாட்டை நன்கு ரசிக்கலாம்!!!

மயக்கும் இடையிசை, அழகான சரணம்.... சொல்லிக் கொண்டே போகலாம்!!!

இதே ராகத்தில் "காதல் காதல் என்று பேச கண்ணன் வந்தானோ?" இதே எழுபதுகளில் முற்றிலும் மாறுபட்ட வகையில் இன்னொறு காதல் பாடல் !!!

மெல்லிசை மன்னா - தாங்கள் இசை விளையாட்டிற்கு ஏது தடை? எது எல்லை?
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pick a Song and Analyze! -Manmadha Leelai Reply with quote

madhuraman wrote:
Now-a-days MDs have no guts [honesty?] to play an original song through necessary at a spot; but would choose to live on the established glories of a song by attempting a "remix". There is displeasure among the audience that the original composer is not even acknowledged. While on moral grounds the contention is tenable, I sincerely feel that by hiding the name of the original composer, a small benefit accrues to the I composer. There is no risk of the I composer being mistaken for the stupidity generated by a so-called MD who shamelessly copies an old number.

Very True Prof Sir!!!!

But, I would also say, its neither guts nor honesty, but the prestige factor. How can these, so called "Chosen-Ones" to revive the TFM, can copy a number that came decades ago, from a person who has done nothing to TFM ? (as they think so). All these "pop" interludes and percussion "noises" are introduced just because of that (One best example is the recent "Engeyum Eppothum" from "Pollathavan". They have shown the extent how the best composition can be degraded to a "remix". Nothing but, A CRAP!!!!). They finally come up with something called "remix" - a song (noise???) they say, that fits the generation. And the crows surrounding them applaude that "Here is the person, whose time is to be called the Golden Age of TFM". But, these people will never have remorse to "copy paste" from English Music (Luckily, none of BackStreetBoys, Bon Jovi, MJ, Rick Martin knows about it. Else, these so-called MDs would be sued for life).

Modesty is a virtue. Only GENIUSes can practice it!!!!

irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: An Amazing Dharmavathi !!! Reply with quote

Ram wrote:

கேட்கவே உந்தன் குரல் சொர்க்கம்
நேரிலே பார்த்தால் என்ன வெட்கம்

மறுமுறை "கேட்கவே" வரும் போது அற்புதமாக மிருதங்கம் தொடங்கும்.

Dear Ram,

When the line ending with words 'sorkam' and 'vetkam', we can hear an instrumental touch. What instruments (vaadhyam) is that...?.

the same instrument used before LRE starts 'unnidathil kaathal ullavargal yaro', in multiple times after the saxophone bit ends.

Is this instrument used in any other songs..?.
tvsankar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
About remix - my personal experience ..

En son - pazhaiya, pudhiya padal ellam ketpan. Or ketka paduvan (Because of us) Avanuku MSV music pidikum.."Engayum eppodhum" and Siva sambo -2 padalum avanuku piditha favourites.

Indha remix paatu vandha udan - enaku vechu kattitu, original version aiyum kel nu sollitu,

"REMIX NANNA ILLAI. ORIGINALAI spoil seidhutangal."

Remix padalin comments ellam ippadi than irukum. So younger generation ku ,

Endha remix vandhalaum - Original version ai ketka vaithal, avargalae nalladhoru judgement tharuvanga.Periyavangala nam avarkaluku old songs and original songs ai kaati kodukanam.

Padalai ketka kathu kodukanam...

(ANal oru chinna bond - naamum avargaludan inraiya isaiyai kattayam ketkanam. Appodhu dhan nammudiayadhai avargal recognise seivargal...)

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pick a Song and Analyze! -Manmadha Leelai Reply with quote

madhuraman wrote:
Now-a-days MDs have no guts [honesty?] to play an original song through necessary at a spot; but would choose to live on the established glories of a song by attempting a "remix". There is displeasure among the audience that the original composer is not even acknowledged. While on moral grounds the contention is tenable, I sincerely feel that by hiding the name of the original composer, a small benefit accrues to the I composer. There is no risk of the I composer being mistaken for the stupidity generated by a
so-called MD who shamelessly copies an old number.
There is so much to recall from every one of MM's glorious contributions to TFM.

Dear Professor sir,

another dangerous thing is ahead, due to these 'remixes'.

normally our tamil audience will talk about the songs, without knowing which came first and which came later.

so, after some years it is possible that our clever (!?!?!?!?!?) audience, especially YOUNGER GENERATION may comment...

"Hey.... idhai paaruda, namma Yuvan Shankar Rajavai paarththu MSV copy adichirukkaaru".

(Kadavul kaapaaththattum)
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: WHAT A POSTING!!! Reply with quote

Dear Sriram & Ram,

If MSV's music has been astonishing me for years together, what is more astonishing me is the technical analysis by you both and to top it all Sharadha. What a way to write and what a way to present it!!! Absolutely outstanding. Glad you fellas are around to take our site to dizzy heights!

I have a wild imagination - What if the EMPERROR himself replies to all these postings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC, THE REST "MAKE U SIC"!!!!
VAIDY

S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram & Sriram K

The same Master applied Dharmavathi for Kadhal kadhal endru pesa ( Utharavindri UV ) & the situation was slightly different…..it was for 2 genuine lovers ! What a mesmerizing raga this is ! Always gives an impact of silence & isolation……
Let me tell you one more…….. IMO, the Master himself could have sung this song easily & would have given the same impact ….
And Mridangam is the real winner in this song ….the way it takes off when LRE sings Ketkave undhan kural sorgam …. Splendid ….

Tell me, is Nanda nee en nila nila ( Vijaya Baskar compo ) is also Dharmavathy ?
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: NANDA NEE EN NILA NILA Reply with quote

Hi Balaji,

Nanda Nee En Nila Nila is by V. Dakshinamurthy if I am right. Great song by SPB.

Cheers
Vaody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: