"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAAN ORU MEDAI PAADAGAN - NAALAI NAMATHEY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: NAAN ORU MEDAI PAADAGAN - NAALAI NAMATHEY Reply with quote

Thanks to Raman Sir.. His posts on songs starting with "Naan" reminded me of yet another dance number, a trio this time. I haven't heard the counterpart of this song in Hindi, anyone please give an insight of it. This is one of my favorites, the entire song keeping us in the dancing phase, the "club" mood maintained throughout. I always wonder, when it comes to "peppy" songs, how would our EMPEROR be reacting to it, when the final take goes for a song, whether dancing to the beats or standing stiff listening carefully to every note. Because, when I heard this song for the first time, I could feel the sensation to dance built up, and no one can resist dancing during the climax.

"Naalai Namathe" was a real challenge to our EMPEROR, to shut the criticists' who always try to compare with the Hindi version, atleast point something, and conclude that "Everything is remade". And, as pointed by our friends here, His mastery shines brighter when people try to compare his works. Our EMPEROR walked through the challenge, which is supposed to be walking on a rope, but the songs made it a passage to a garden with the bright everlasting tunes on either side.

This song, is the introduction for Chandramohan, the youngest son of the broken family. ( I heard Kamalhassan was considered for the role initially, but later replaced). The song would be following the small "Naalai Namathe" bit, that would be sung by Chandramohan on every stage. He, then starts this song, MGR and Latha joining with him. Who else our EMPEROR can choose for such foot tapping songs than TMS and LRE. For Chandramohan, SPB joins the pair. (MSV has used KJY also with the same TMS-LRE pair in "Parakkum Paavai" for "Sugam Ethiley Idayathila", another peppy number).

Guitar starts the prelude, the music getting to our mind through the ears, and making us nod the head from the very start. The rhythm of the guitar seems to resemble a guy with no worries, walking along in a casual way and spreading the charm wherever he goes. The violins help the music to raise up a little, for SPB to start the song along with the guitar. It is a perfect choice to use SPB, a budding singer that time, to grasp the young energetic voice, that would very much suit a club singer. Bongos starts too with the pallavi, maintains the beats along, and finishes at the end, after the lyric and guitar.

Here, Chandramohan calls for a person to come to the stage and sing along, and MGR joins followed by the claps and the starting of the count by the conductor, all these in a guitar background, that is flowing like a slow stream. The violins give a grand opening to the legendary singer, followed by the guitar, TMS starting with "Naan Sabayerum naal vanthathu". The song takes a more enthusiastic pace now, with TMS' "Garjanai" voice. Trumpet finishes the first two lines of the charanam, and flute finishes the next two. This pattern is followed throughout the song. Also, the tune takes a slightly quickened beat with the lyric "Naanum anbaana nanbargal munbaaga inneram panpaada vandhen", bongos becoming more prominent here. The lines following "Paada Paada Ragam Varum" are finished by flute.

Now, MGR calls for another person, a lady, and Latha joins. LRE opens with her "thullal" voice, that is specially set for "party" songs. The girl starting to sing as "Naan Arangetram aagathaval..Yaar Munnaalum Paadathaval". the second charanam does not have any interlude, than just a guitar opening, but LRE's voice compensates for it.

With all the three people in stage, the interlude before the last charanam is a wonderful combination of guitar, flute, bongos, trumpet and chorus, expressing the joyful occassion. Guitar opens in a stridden manner, the rhythm moving fast, flute joining along for sometime, then by bongos, followed by trumpet, then the chorus, and again by guitar. All these starting from flute till guitar, repeat the same beat, in their own way.

In the third charanam, group singing begins from TMS with "Paal Nilavenna Ner Vanthatho", SPB following him, and LRE at the end. (Ironically, in the movie, only MGR will be singing with Latha in this charanam, Chandramohan hardly given a chance. MGR himself sings for both TMS and SPB. This will continue in the pallavi too). When SPB announces "Come on folks, swing and sing, everybody!!!", the violins raise a little, and the non-stop music of guitar starts, along with the chorus moving, the guitar playing the pallavi of the song, and chorus following it. When the guitar plays the last line of the pallavi, Bongos catch the attention by its enchanting beats, raising the mood, people getting intense in dancing. The chorus raising now, with bongos and guitar at the back, gives a perfect end to the song.

After this mind blowing experience, we would be realising that the song lasted more than six minutes, the EMPEROR captivating every moment of us in His music.

Thanks and Regards,
Sriram Kannan
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram K,

Naalai namadhey is another remake of MGR from Yadon ki barath, a super hit hindi movie in the early 70s.
The hindi movie's songs were widely heard across the country and Chennai also got addicted to it.
So when MGR went for the tamil version, MSV had a real challenge on hands. The hindi songs was still fresh in the minds. But Mellisai Mannar came out with some fantastic songs and ALL ARE ORIGINAL , the pick of the lot being Neela nayangalil oru neenda kanavu vandhadhu...

Your pick is equvalent of Lekar ham deewanaa dil... a hit song sung by Kishore Kumar and Asha Bosale . This song is a real challenge because its being played in an auditorium where Tariq is a musical artiste who thrills the crowds by his singing and guitar play....

So MSV nicely used SPB and TMS for Chandramohan and MGR respectively. The tamil song was well received . A well orchestrated number .........TMS despite his advancing age, still sung cheerfully .......at this period, MGR was encouraging K.J.Yesudas / SPB for love duets and still using TMS for solo and philosophical songs.....

Thanks for highlighting the nuances of the song.........

Hindi song tamil song

Yadon ki barath nikli Anbu malargale....nalai namadhey

Lekar ham Naan oru medai padagan

Churaliyaa Neela nayangalil

etc
raghavankannan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MSVs

Initially our EMPEROR has hesitating to take up this film initially, eventhough the producer and director were his close friends. The producer and Director has reported his non acceptance to MGR and MGR called MSV and asked for his hesitating. EMPEROR has intimated that already this film is great musical hit in Hindi and has run for more than a year in Chennai itself and when remade into Tamil, everybody will compare the songs with HINDI and it won't like well. MGR has replied why are you worry, I am here. EMPEROR has replied immediately that itself is a great problem for me. MGR surprisingly asked 'ME'? our Emperor has intimated 'YES', you have changed everything in our film "NEERUM NERUPPUM" and no song has succeed. If you intefere again I will have to face everything. MGR smiled and informed OK VICHU, I will never enter in your area for this film and you are the decider for this film and work with VALEE and complete the songs. EMPEROR has finally accepted and after completion of song, MGR has very much appreciated our EMPEROR work in this film, especially selection of singers for DUET songs. This was delivered by Valee in his autobiography and EMPEROR in his book written by Rani Maindhan.

Rgds

RAghavankannan
irenehastings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and Naalai Namadhey has two more more hit numbers:

'ennai vittaal yaarumillai
kanmaniye un kaiyanaikka"

by yesudoss (the tune was later copied in Sarathkumar's movie 'ragasiya police)

and another one my evergreen favourite for the tune in charanams, yes that is...

'kaadhal enbathu kaaviyamaanaal
kadhaanaayagan vendum
'

by KJY & suseela
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: