"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV-S.Janaki - SJ at her best !!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Singers-SJ [MSV] Reply with quote

Dear Friends
There are a number of songs by MSV making the apt use of SJ. A few of them come to my mind
Jal jal jal enum salangai oli
Unnidaththil ennai koduthaEn
All police kAran magaL songs to name a few and requesting others to carry further.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 'Policekaaran Magal,' all songs are sung by Janaki. I have always wondered why MSV has not engaged P Susila for any song in this film! Like Professor has observed, there are a large number of songs of S.Janaki in MSV's composition and all of them having some specialty or other ( I am not saying that P Susila's songs are not special but PS has a very large number of songs and we can discuss themonly by grouping them into various categories), it is very difficult to recall and mention them. Mrs. Meenakshi has written about 'Kaatrukkenna Veli?' Other songs which I remember are:

Thookkam un kangalai thazhuvattume - Aalaya Mani.

Jal jal jal ennum salangai oli - Paasam

Raadhaikketra Kannano? - Sumaithaangi

Pallavi ondru mannan paada - Sollaththaal Ninaikkiren

Kannile enna undu, kangalthaan ariyum - Aval oru Thodarkathai

Ninaththaal Pothum Paaduven - Nenjirukkum Varai

Radhaiyai pen paarkka kannan vandhaan - Namma Veettu Lakshmi

Kannan manam enna kandu vaa thendrale - Vasantha Raagam? (I am not sure)

But SJ, in her interviews doesn't talk much about MSV songs. Perhaps, she wants to be more grateful to another MD, who has given her more opportunities!
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Singers Reply with quote

Dear Dr Shankar and other friends,

The reference "Susheela was so dominant in MSV's [halcyon] days" makes a slightly uncomfortable reading.What is uncomfortable here relates to our perception of the two singers. All said and done PS had a voice that would ably match any artiste on the screen and I have touched upon this facet in my 100th posting or so. When it comes to perfect diction and clarity at all octaves certainly PS is streets ahead and all SJ songs have been identified only as SJ songs and were not that 'integrative' with the screen artiste. I do not deem it any mistake on the part of the singer. Rather it was of a special frequency and had tobe used on occasions where a blending to a situation [not to the artiste]was of a higher priority[as for instance in 'kAtrukkenna vEli' or 'SingAra vElanE DEvA']. Also it is pertinent to note that MSV has the exceptional wisdom of utilizing a singer for an occasion for the right impact instead of on personal preferences. Cases can be cited of his using PBS FOR SOFT MELODIES and yet used TMS for Yar andha nilavu / 'thEdi varum deiva sugam' as specific deviations that made the richest impact. Besides, MSV has always availed of Janaki for movies where a mild pathos runs as an undercurrent. Other occasions when SJ has been utilized are movies where many artistes appear on screen and voice variation would lend a variety and relief to the listener. Why we need to look at these points is, those were times when movie makers, Directors and MDs accorded the top priority to relevance and did not hesitate to bring in old / new voices.
Well in the later times , some low base shrill voices were used along with suggestive moaning. On those occasions SJ's voice came in handy by virtue of her rich experience in recordings. These were real items that decided a singer's career at least from an honest plane of assessment. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY.
WARM REGARDS Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion sj was better used only in the days of mm and later on the voice was used by other md's for various moaning et al and sridhar had a little probelm with ps and specifically almost all songs were done by mm using sj and others and i think ps had sung very few songs for cvs films .
i cant get into the issues but read this sometime ago .
neverthless mm was clear as to how a song will be effective by the character ,heroine ,story value , and other apects and chose the singers
when master is the chief cook whatever ingreidients he use is of a class quality and after a song was made a hit we cant get into the comparision that it could have been better had that singer sung that .
this is applicable to male singers too .
this is humble view and not to be mistaken in any manner as my regrds are there for all of them
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Singers Reply with quote

Dear Mr Bhaskar ,
It is a news to me that CVS had problems with PS. Perhaps next to MSV it is PS who is non-controversial and has sung for every banner, every MD, almost every actress of her days. It is PS who has sung most songs for CVS movies. In the whole of Nenjil ore aalayam, Vidivelli, Sivandhamann, Uthharavinri ullE va, Kadhalikka neramillai, [except one song each in Nenjirukkum varai Venniraaadai, Nenjam marappadhillai , Sumaithangi] , OOty varai Uravu, Urimaikkural, Kalaikoil and almost all CVS movies PS songs have been mega hits for CVS. If we refer to the chronology of SJ's ascension it would reveal that IR had a sentimental value for SJ's voice and that would explain things better. I hope my reading is clear in the sense that the 2 singers need not be compared as they have unequivocally demonstrated their utility for varied occasions. Thank you for the opportunity.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no of films u had listed is true .
but i read in chandramouli's work of sridhar ( as told by cvs) it has been mentioned and if i am right even vijayakumari had a little probelm after kalyana parisu with cvs and in no way named people had any problem in any manner in thier career because of the misunderstanding
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a report in Kumudham, sometimes in the early eighties:
Most of the songs composed for the current films have been lifted from old films. New voice(s) are being used only to make the songs sound a little different and ensure that the listeners do not readily identify the original songs.

I don't know whether there is any truth in this!
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as per me , MSV is the one , who made the TFM , to remember SJ , by the hits like

Unnidathil Ennai koduthaen (avalukendru or manam ), Katrukenna veli (avargal ) , Ulagam azhagu kalaikalin (usv) and another song avargal,alaigal, ninathaley innikum ,

if you notice , KB , MGR films will have a song each atleast in 70 s for SJ
60s ofcourse many like sumaithangi , policekaran magal , paasam , etc.

my theory may be wrong ,but to me , IR , to show the difference , had to avoid using very familiar voices ,like TMS , PBS, PS , LRE , thus eliminating songs branded as tms song . ps song etc and hence his work get recognised better. so he should have used SJ , a familiar but still not as popular as the rest . ofcourse SPB , is different , as he happened to be his great friend .

when songs became , hits , the combo continued .

If you notice , the same happened with ARR . he brought new voices .

SJ should be ever thank ful , to MSV , for keeping her memeories in TFM

my only regret is for VANI , , who got in at wrong time , had she arrived another 5 years before shecame in , TFM , would have benefited a lot out OF MSV- VANI combo , and IR also didnot use her potential .her clear singing , didnot make her eligible for ARR era .
baroque

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAUNTING sarangi, violin, tabala - PATHOS WITH HAMEER KALYANI AMBIENCE{ennuyir thozhi....karnan. HINDUSTANI EQUIVALENT IS Rag kedar - humko manki shakti..GUDDI, bole to ...YESUDAS HINDI DELIGHT}.

என் அன்னை செய்த பாவம் நான் மண்ணில் வந்தது
என் அழகு செய்த பாவம் நீ என்னைக் கண்டது !

என் அழகு செய்த பாவம் நீ என்னைக் கண்டது
என் அன்னை செய்த பாவம் .....

நம் க‌ண்கள் செய்த‌ பாவ‌ம் நாம் காத‌ல் கொண்ட‌து
இதில் க‌டவுள் செய்த‌ ப‌ரிகார‌ம் பிரிவு என்ப‌து
பிரிவு என்ப‌து ......
என் அழகு செய்த பாவம் நீ என்னைக் கண்டது !
என் அன்னை செய்த பாவம்.........

இர‌வென‌வும் ப‌க‌லென‌வும் இரண்டு வைத்தானே
அந்த‌ இறைவ‌ன் அவ‌ன் ம‌ன‌தை ம‌ட்டும் ஒன்று வைத்தானே
ஒரு ம‌ன‌தில் ஒரு விள‌க்கை ஏற்றி வைத்தானே
அதில் ஒளியிருக்க‌ வ‌ழியை ம‌ட்டும் மூடி விட்டானே
மூடி விட்டானே !
என் அன்னை செய்த பாவம் ..........

உற‌வின‌ராம் ப‌ற‌வைக‌ளை நீ வ‌ள‌ர்த்தாயே
அதில் ஒரு ப‌ற‌வை நானுமென்றே நினைத்திருந்தேனே
சிறிய கூண்டு எனக்கு மட்டும் திறக்கவில்லையே
அது திறந்த‌ போது என் சிற‌கு ப‌ற‌க்க‌வில்லையே

என் அழகு செய்த பாவம் நீ என்னைக் கண்டது
என் அன்னை செய்த பாவம் .......

சுமைதாங்கி .....ஜானகி....ஸ்ரீ.விஸ்வநாதன்...

http://www.musicplug.in/multiple_song_flashplayer.php?songid=867&br=medium&id=198&songname=En-Annai-Seitha&page=movies

வினதா. Smile
baroque

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striking sitar,flute,rushing violin, dramatic JANAKI'S HUMMING with rapid jathi tabala percussion... {CARNATIC - hamsanandhi / HINDUSTANI - sohini.....raga deepam yetrum ...Shri.Ilayaraaja, kaalaiyum neeye maalaiyum.....}

சலங்கை துள்ளும் ஓசையில்
கலங்கும் கண்ணை மாற்றுவேன்
நினைத்தால் போதும் பாடுவேன்
அணைத்தால் கையில் ஆடுவேன்
சலங்கை துள்ளும் ஓசையில்

பாலின் நிறம் போல உருவான பெண்மை
பனியில் விளையாடும் கனிவான மென்மை
எங்கும் பறந்தோடும் இளந்தென்றல் அல்ல
ஏக்கம் வரும்போது எல்லோர்க்கும் சொல்ல
எங்கும் பறந்தோடும் இளந்தென்றல் அல்ல
ஏக்கம் வரும்போது எல்லோர்க்கும் சொல்ல
அணைத்தால் கையில் ஆடுவேன்
சலங்கை துள்ளும் ஓசையில்

கேள்வி வரும்போது பதில் ஒன்று வேண்டும்
கேட்க நினைக்காத மனம் ஒன்று வேண்டும்
வாழ்வை சுகமாக நீ வாழ வேண்டும்
மனதை மனதாக நீ காண வேண்டும்
அணைத்தால் கையில் ஆடுவேன்
சலங்கை துள்ளும் ஓசையில்

vinatha. Smile
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

MSV was availing the services of PS as the lead singer for the heroin and hence the other singers like LRE/SJ were having the oppurtunity to sing when a second herion character is there in the movie. But MSV did try to accomodate SJ in the 70s. We must also not forget that most of the time the influential actors/directors also play role in this selection and most of them favoured TMS/PS combo.

But one thing is sure. That is the other singer may have sung less nunber of songs. But MSV managed to get the best out of limited numbers. Ofcourse PS is always special.

Let me remind all of our freinds about the song "Sollathan Ninaikiren Ullathaal Thudikkiren' in whcih MSV apart from composing sung with SJ.

Regards,

N Y MURALI
baroque

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

வருவான் மோஹன ரூபன் என
காத்திருந்த கன்னியிவள் மோகினியானாள்
வருவான் மோஹன ரூபன் என
பொன்முத்து மேனி பெண்ணென்று சொல்ல
பூவிதழ் ஓரம் தேன்தமிழ் துள்ள
வருவான் மோஹன ரூபன் என

காதல் நிலவு பாதி இரவு மயக்கத்தில் ஆடும் உலகம்
பிள்ளை போல் பாட்டு வெள்ளித் தேர் ஓட்டு
முத்து வண்ண தென்றல் என்னை தாலாட்டுது
வருவான் மோஹன ரூபன் என காத்திருந்த கன்னியிவள் மோகினியானாள்

வானம் திறந்து ஊர்வசி வந்தால்
வளைத்துக் கொள்வாயா அழகே
பெண்ணுக்கோர் கீதம் கண்ணுக்கோர் பாடம்
கட்டிக் கொண்டு மெல்ல மெல்ல சொன்னாலென்ன

வருவான் மோஹன ரூபன் என
வருவான் மோஹன ரூபன் என
காத்திருந்த.........

http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=25328

{Prelude always leads me to யமுனா நதி ....possible splash of Sriranjani, Abhogi ambiences}

ENCHANTING MUSIC FOR A JOYFUL HEART.....my manasu is all aflutter !

ஜானகி is சுகம் with ஸ்ரீ விஸ்வநாதன்!

vinatha. Smile
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends!
Comparisons apart, each singer of the stature of PS, LRE, SJ, VJ have their place in TFM and, why, in all our hearts! As many postings clearly indicate, it has always been for special purposes/occasions/situations that the Master has always used each singer in the best possible manner (ever). Each song, a master piece for the singer, as well as MM himself.

A long list of melodies splashes in our minds when we bring in a specific singer handled by MM: this time S.Janaki! Which song does one start admiring from?
"Then illangai mangai"-beautiful tabla-backed, filled with violins, sitar,flute... How brilliantly the song opens after the initial alaap! It is a sudden burst of orchestra, filling the soul!
"Andharangam naan arivaen"-the nasal voice of PBS intoxicates. SJ waxes! The latter portion breaks her free as the song concludes.
"Ninaithale inikkum"-carnatic-hindustani freestyle classic.
"Sindhu nadi poove"-how to forget? I go for MM's singing than for SJ's; but this combination is poetry!
"Vaa vennilaa"...?

But then...how much ever I admire SJ, I always have a doubt: I somehow feel she hurries through to complete as she sings. I feel a jerk at such times. I do not know of the requirements of the taala, but, always suspected her of missing something as she completes singing some of the lines. Another problem that I notice is the feeling of discomfort at lower scales when she sang in seventies or later. These are just passing thoughts, and am not ascribing anything wrong on her, but, a feel of something missing...

Thanks and regards,
Sai Saravanan
Venkat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more beauties of MSV - SJ
"Kaadhalin pon veedhiyil" from Pookari
"Megam thiraludhadi" from Thanneer Thanneer
Another very good devotional number from Sri Krishna Ganam - "Gokulathu Pasukkalellam Gopalan kurali kettu..."
"Sugamana Sindhanayil" I am not sure of the movie.
"Venmegame..." and "Azhaikindren..." from Aayiram Jenmangal.
"Kaatrukenna veli", "Ippadi or thalattu" and "Gangayile..." from Avargal.
"Pallavi endroru..." from Sollathan Ninaikiren.
"Konjam neram ennai maranthen" from Sirithu Vaazha Vendum.
"Ulagam azhagu..." from USV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: