"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Echo Effect in MM's compositions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragasuda

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Echo Effect in MM's compositions Reply with quote

மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பாடல்களில் எதிரொலி

அம்மம்மா காற்று வந்து, ஓஹோஹோ ஓடும் எண்ணங்களே, கல்யாணப் பந்தல் அலங்காரம், போன்ற பல எண்ணற்ற பாடல்கள் நம்மை முழுவதுமாக ஈர்ப்பதற்கு ஒரு முக்கிய காரணம், அப்பாடல்களில் மெல்லிசை மன்னர் புகுத்தியுள்ள எதிரொலியும் ஆகும். மேலும் உயர்ந்த மனிதன் படத்தில வரும் என் கேள்விக்கென்ன பதில் இது போன்ற பல பாடல்களில் உள்ள எதிரொலியைப் பற்றி விவாதிக்கலாமே.

ராகவேந்திரன்
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I can feel something different while hearing songs of AVANTHAN MANITAHN , especially KOONTHALUKU POOCHUTI/ANBU NADAMADUM.
I think MSV used something different for this movie.

Also OOHOO OODUM ENNAGALE from NILAVANAM. I think this song also has ECHO effect. Nice topic to continue.

regards
ramesh
parthavi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether this my illusion but in some songs I find so much clarity as if the songs were recorded in vaccuum. This is something similar to the echo effect. I notice this particularly in the songs 'moondrezhththil en moocchirukkum' and 'Ennathaan nadakkum nadakkattume.' I also find a similar effect in the song 'ullaththiln kadhavugal' (Iravum Pagalum - Music
T.R. Pappa) Perhaps this is a technical feat for which the credit should also go to the Sound Engineer. But I think the MD is the one who creates this effect by meticulous arrangement of the voice and the orchestra. Interestingly, I have never found this kind of clarity in new songs which use highly advanced technology with noise filtering, track channelising etc.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Preludes and Interludes Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Parthavi,
What you feel of clarity in old songs and in those with Echo effect, there is no illusion. After all you perceive the impact by hearing them. I am neither an acoustics expert nor a sound engineer. If you go by the earlier recording styles and the current modes with advances in technology, a few points deserve attention. Old recordings happened with powerful mikes kept away from the mouth of the singers, while the current ones are sensitive mikes small and held closer to mouth. With mike way, the singer generates enough lung power and pronounces words in total clarity. As the words travel through air , there is some loss of decibel making the uttered words enter the track in a refined [less vibrating and ruffle free] form. On the contrary with sensitive mikes held close to the mouth, loss of vibration is minimal and singers nearly sing in lower volume, equally the orchestra too. With no loss on receipt, the natural difference between 'hearing from a distance' and 'blaring into the ear' sort of effect naturally accompanies the old and new versions of recordings. Any filtration can summarily suppress unlike the natural elegance of 'hearing from a distance'. Why I bank on this notion is, independent of The MD or Recording Engineer, all old songs portray clarity and new songs kill themselves before they do it on us. I go by sheer perception though I am not armed with facts. Certainly old somgs lived up to the requirements for clarity / echo as relevance demanded then. Thanks for the opportunity.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

I find your explanation very sensible and scientifically inclined.

Even among old songs, some (cited by me and others) show some extraordinary clarity/ echo / vaccuum effect. Perhaps,there have been some special efforts taken for this. I wonder.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Preludes and Interludes Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Parthavi,
Your observation on old songs for specific effects like clarity, Echo, vacuum -like 'distortion free' recording, draws my memory back to the days of human effort with very little support from gadgets. Well-trained members of orchestra used to blow air into the mike from apt distance to simulate effects of cyclone /typhoon, and singers would sing into hollow pots, generating some 'other-world effect' and so on. To systematically control the acoustic balancing in recording theatres in 1950s earthern pots were suspended to dampen the echo.You can see them in old photos of song recording. But, much as you said, the recording engineers used to determine the final volume for recording a song. That is why when you hear old songs in TV shows some songs require 'raising' the volume of TV while some call for 'lowering; the volume showing the variation in the primary recording which was a pure human judgment based on other movie parameters. Certainly gadgets have not seriously helped the listener when compared to the elegance of the period 50s -80s. May be the share of 'live-recording' of those songs speak for themselves. Thank you for the opportunity.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Echo...many tastefully carved out songs of the master! In so many ways has he used the sound effect to attract us...

I am reminded of 'un ullam endan araadanai' by LRE and TMS:some MGR film, I guess. Right in between, as the song goes through various highs and lows, a point of humming, together by the singers, suddenly is taken to dizzying heights and left abruptly with an echo. This leaves you momentarily lost in some unknown heaven looking for ground beneath for regaining consciousness! Incidentally, I heard it this afternoon, and this is how I felt. Very beautiful and subtle way of handling sound by MM!

Thanks for the idea!
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: