"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMMA OORU SINGAARI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: NAMMA OORU SINGAARI Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

I had always maintained that MM never keep the raga in mind when he sets the tune unless the situation warrants. But in this song he did settle in a particular raga which is ‘Hindolam’.

I had heard many songs in the TFM composed in this raga by many MDs.
But I have never ever heard a style like this. I am sure to say that this song is a different dimension to MM’s composing style.

MM himself has used this raga for the song ‘Maname Muruganin Mayil Vahanam’ in a classical style.

But to come up with a western style that too in a traditional carnatic raga is amazing.

Just see how he used the traditional sitar for the interlude which is a non carantic non Hindustani style.

By the way what is the style of this rhythm in western terms? Can anybody answer?

Regards,

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr Murali,
This is my favorite song too. I would try to analyze it as you wanted but I may not be accurate.
The " time value" is 4/4. That is, the simple Motif or phrase would repeat after every fourth beat.
The feel or rhythm is that, it seems to start in the upbeat of the first beat and in the last ,that is the fourth beat , the upbeat has notes which leads into the next cycle. This is called a Bouree [ I hope I got the spelling right] pronounced" BOO -RAY" in classical western music and some of the best were by Bach. I t would give me a picture of a Dolphin enjoying itself jumping out and diving in . Better appreciated in slow motion.
Hope to hear from others.
I saw the galaxy of writings by in other topics dated 23-3-9. I can imagine that you have spent days collecting the info and the whole of Sunday putting it up. Hats off to you and of course a million thanks.
Chakravarthy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: