"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'RAAJAVIN PAARVAI RAANIYIN PAKKAM' THE BEST DREAM SONG EVER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: 'RAAJAVIN PAARVAI RAANIYIN PAKKAM' THE BEST DREAM SONG EVER Reply with quote

Dear all,

Regarding the ‘Anbe vaa’ movie songs I wish to add certain technical points regarding the composition of the song ‘raajavin parvai’. Let me try to write as simple as possible.

The song had been composed on the chords based melody. MSV recently in the TV programme ‘Endrum MSV’ in Mega TV told that he composed that song with the piano.

The most important aspect of this song is the scale change. Scale changes are a part of Carnatic music concept and it is called as ‘shruthi bedham’. ‘bedham’ means not in the same frequency means ‘different’. So ‘shruthi bedham’ means ‘shruthi differnce’ or ‘scale change’.

If we see the song starts with BS starts dreaming with PS humming. That is the first scale used by MSV. It is in ‘E minor’ or 7th sruthi. This humming is supported only by piano. So this is the 1st scale he has used. This is a “madyama shrudhi’ that is the shrudhi box has to be set as ‘sa-ma’ in carnatic or in the western the harmony is ‘sa-ma1-da1’ chord (E minor)

Then the actual song starts with a big bang with trumpet, sax combination. A fantastic bell sound can be heard during this prelude. This prelude is in ‘A minor’ or ‘shruthi 3’. The big bang trumpet combo is so beautifully arranged that it helps the smooth transition of the song from ‘E minor’ to ‘A minor’. So this the 2nd scale used by him. This is the actual scale for the song. This also is in the “madyama shrudhi’ that is the shrudhi box has to be set as ‘sa-ma’ in carnatic or in the western the harmony is ‘sa-ma1-da1’(A minor) chord with respect to that scale.

There are very clear proof for the chords based melody when we notice the lines ‘raaniyin mugame’ (G major chord notation ga2-pa-ni1) and ‘poorana nilavo’ (A major da2-sa-ma1) etc.

Now when these lines are over then there would be a chorus. We would very clearly identify that the chorus tune is different from the others heard so far. The reason is that the chorus is in ‘C minor’ or ‘shruthi 5’. This is astonishing for me. In carnatic music sense this can be called as changing from a madhyama shruthi (sa-ma) to the panchama shruthi (sa-pa) and in the western harmony this is ‘sa-ga1-pa’ chord (C minor)

Here we could actually see the full effect of ‘shruthi bedham’ as there are other instruments play along with the humming. Then the same big bang combination trumpet and sax played. The reason to use this interlude is to get back to the original song scale that is ‘A minor’. And the song does come back to the original scale. But there is a surprise element here. The song instead of coming back to ‘A minor’ comes back to ‘A major’. This is atrocious.

I have heard that in western music the composition does take place with the scale change like this. But I am not sure whether anybody has done a composition wherein they have landed back to the major chord instead of the original minor chord. The violin and accordion play the melody in the ‘A major’ scale. Now after this is over there will be an accordion bit before the charanam. This is the notation of ‘G major’ chord and the notation is so cleverly used so that the singer is able to take the tune in the charanam without difficulty. If this accordion bit is not there they would have found out very difficult to connect. You can feel the charanam starting tune is the same as ‘raaniyin mugame’.

So to put it in nut shell
The song involves 3 scales being used ‘E minor’ for PS humming, ‘A minor’ for the song and ‘C major for the interlude chorus. There is also a variation of a change to ‘A major’ as against the ‘A minor’ for the violin interlude.

The whole song rhythm is set in a horse beat sound.

All the scale changes melodies sing or play the same line ‘raajavin paarvai’ unto ‘ponmaalai mayakkam’ in different scales. The connection bit like trumpet/sax and accordion etc are all created to help the transition of scale changes smoothly.

There is a variation of ‘shruthi bedham’ from madhyama shrithi to the ‘panchama shruthi’ during the chorus. This is a very serious business in carnatic music. MSV handled this as if a child holding a venomous snake in its hand and toying with it.

Now let us forget the technicalities. Come to the emotional part. Why did MSV compose a song in the scale variation? Just to test and show his skills?

No! He did with a purpose. I shall explain. During the Mega TV interview Mr. Aadavan explained to MSV that when he hears this song he feels that in the initial stages the chariot goes on the earth for some time. And suddenly it takes off! It flies high in the sky between the clouds and goes to heaven and it come back to earth after this trip to heaven. How does this emotional feeling comes to him. Just because of the scale changes from ‘A minor’ to ‘C minor’ and with the chorus rendering that bit you feel as if a group of angels are welcoming you in the heaven.

I want to add one more point here how he uses the chorus in many songs to give that effect. (eg ‘azhagiya tamil magal” ‘ponmagal vandaal’). He also uses the the same chorus to give opposite effect to that of devils. (Eg ‘enge nimmadhi’ ‘mannavane azhalaama”).

On 25-01-09 we went to the whistle programme. There the comparer mentioned that ‘raajavin paravai’ is the best dream song composed ever.

Regards

N Y MURALI
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Colourful music! Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Murali,
Beautiful description indeed! One could feel the song as your words flowed! The lucidity, in fact, succeeds in prompting the lines even to a layman! We may need a special analysis to describe only the chorus part (are these from the church choir group that I somewhere read?). Isn't it amazing to reinforce ourselves that the only handling of chorus, brilliantly added/used in film music to carry the emotions of the picturised scene, truly and successfully happens to be ONLY of MM MSV's?!
All the emotions that we feel when we listen to this composition are verily being carried on the wings of MSV's music, interludes, transitions, not to forget the voices of the singers and the lyrics. All of these melt within each other to flawlessly add colour to music, that we can can actually see, not just feel! Closing your eyes, this song transports you to another heaven. I seldom 'see' this song on TV with my eyes 'open'!
Dr.G.Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: