"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Handful of Piano Picks (15) - Periya Idaththu 'PaNN'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Folk-Piano - மண்ணின் மணத்தை உணர்த்துவது Folk. பியானோ என்பது Folk ஐப் பொருத்தவரை ஒரு அந்நிய வாத்தியம். இது இரண்டையும் கொண்டு Folk இன் குணம் குன்றாமல் அற்புத கிராமியப் பாடலைத் தந்தவர்கள் மெல்லிசை மன்னர்கள்.

Highlight of this composition ! Unconventional . I always wonder how did they experiment like this for a folk type ! Lovely interludes also. Truly a memorable movie for the Mellsai mannargal.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: A HANDFUL OF PIANO PICKS Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Ram,
As ever, you excel in your description of the nuances of MM in folk version of cine songs. At one point, you have referred to MSV's capturing a Russian style of composition. From my familiarity with MSV's repertoire, all I can say is -he is music personified. What I imply is, on seeing a lyric, he is right away able to peg the exact extremities to which a lyric would obligingly abide by. This, MSV refers to as Meter. But, by a sheer instinct, MSV is able to choose that meter which would automatically carry the melody with it. In other words, more than one meter may be adapted for a lyric. But, MM never settles for less, since he accords the highest value for melody without in any manner diluting the lyric or its content. By a mere look at the matter, meter presents itself in all its varied forms. That is why , as MD. he is able to provide a range of alternatives to choose from. The available range is really bewildering and people express conflicting preferences.Remember the post man / Tea serving boy who offered suggestions? All these are elegant pointers to the fact that he is a library. It is for the user to locate the right references. This master can blend a range of raga variations to yield a harmony that is non existent but for [i]that [/i] blending. Undoubtedly we are blesed to receive from such a range.
Warm regards. Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
msvramki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

Great writeup on PERIYA EDATHU PA(E)NN !

Mixing two or more unrelated instruments and that too in the most appropriate way to give the best output for the film, situation and lyric
has been the unmatchable quality of Mellisai Mannar, which other MDs
would have never imagined even in dreams !

I have to listen again to some of the songs you have mentioned (though I have heard them many times in the past long ago) and appreciate the finer points you have highlighted w.r.t to presentation.

LongLive MSV and his Melodies

Dad/
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. RAM
I AM STUNNED BY YOUR TAMIL ACCENT. I THOUGHT TAMIL LANG IS GONE. I SAW YOUR PROFILE IN THE CORE CREW MEMBER. AND UNDERSTOOD YOU ARE HARDLY BELOW 30. IT IS ASTONISHING TO READ THE STYLE OF YOUR TAMIL. AFTER READING YOUR ARTICE I FEEL CONFIDENT THAT TAMIL LANGUAGE WILL LIVE FOR EVER SINCE SOMEBODY LIKE YOU WOULD BE KEEP COMING.

ABOUT THE SONG 'PARAPPA PALINAPPA. YOU RECALL THE ACCENT WITH WHICH TMS SINGS THE LINE 'SHETTHA PANAM SHELAVAZHINCHA'

REGARDS

N Y MURALI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: