"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enakoru kadhali irukinral - MSV with SPB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Enakoru kadhali irukinral - MSV with SPB Reply with quote

The grand arrival of Maestro Isaignyani through Annakili in 1976 actually overshadowed a remarkable song by Mellisai Mannar who incidentally sang the song along with Balu !

MUTHANA MUTHALLAVO is the movie name featuring Muthuraman, Sujatha, Jai Ganesh & Thengai Sreenivasan in brief

Along with the movie, the songs also went into obvilion but for devoted MSV fans, this song lasts forever as this talks about his brand of music !

Jai Ganesh runs away from home leaving his family in totters in pursuit of a musical career in Chennai , wanders around for days before knocking the doors of the top number one MD Thengai Sreenivasan who actually will be a man of many moods……

So when JG meets TS and expresses his desire to become a musician & singer ( he has a penchant for violin ) Thengai ( I guess he was fully drunk ) slaps him on his face and screams at him with a roar but suddenly asks him , so , you want to become a musician ? Can you compose a song ? which takes JG by surprise……

Sensing the hesitation, Thengai himself gives a start with this MASTERPIECE !

ENAKORU KADHALI IRUKINRAL AVAL , EZU SWARANGALIL SIRIKINRAL

Go through the lyrics & you will immediately conclude that the entire song was written exclusively for Mellisai Mannar and his long & glorious musical journey , his flair for melody and his vice like grip over MELLISAI !

ENAKORU KADHALI IRUKINRAL AVAL EZU SWARANGALIL SIRKINRAL
GEETHAM AVALADHU VALAYOSAI
NADHAM AVALADHU THAMIZOSAI

It’s a rare combination of MSV & SPB ! while Mellisai Mannar sings for Thengai, Balu for Jaiganesh

MSV’s mastery over usage of Piano is history . I could immediately think of Enna enna vaarthaigalo & Kannan ennum mannan peyarai cholla cholla - Vennira aadai & paaduvor paadinaal aada thondrum for makkal thilagam - Kannan en kadhalan . Who will forget- Athanin muthangal athanayum muthukkal in Uyarndha manidhan

Piano was the instrument every MD had those days ( now its key board ) , Thengai casually plays with a pleasant beginning ……..

Enakoru kadhali irukindral , aval, ezu swarangalil sirikinral ……

GAMAPADHANISANINIPADHANISANISAPAMAGAPA……..followed by a laughter , a repeat of the lyrics ! ( may be a self inspiration out of Sirippil undagum ragathilay pirakkum sangeethamay ! )

Geetham avaladhu valayosai, nadham avaladhu thamizosai……. Thamizoooooooooooooooosaiiiiiii !!!

I will have to stretch thamizosai to the maximum length to match with MSV’s playful antics during this stage !

All through the song , Thengai tests Jaiganesh’s abilities by giving various tunes which he responds well by solo violin support & this adds flavour to the song… rather the violin flows like a Ganges……. .

The lyrics during the first charanam says about the nuances of music and the swaras which he OWNED during his extraordinary career spanning more than 30 years

PANJAMAM PESUM PAARVAI IRANDUM, PANJANAI PODUM ENAKAGA
DEIVATHAM ENNUM THIRUMAGAL MENI, KAIGALAI ANAIKKUM INIDHAGA

The lyrics above are a true reflection of Mellisai Mannar’s life !

Thengai character seems to be very moody and emotional . At this juncture, he relaxes a bit and looks at Jaiganesh & in comes Balu with his customary sweet voice :

ENNUDAN VAAZUM INNORU JEEVAN, MELLISAIYAGUM ENNALUM
VAIYAGAM YAAVUM ENPUGAZ PESA, KAI VASAMAGUM EDHIRKALAM
!

By the end of the second charanam, Thengai is back to usual self…. With cheer once again , he resumes :

THENSUVAI KINNAM , ENDHIYA VANNAM , NAAN THARUM PAADAL AVAL THANDHAAL
MOHANAM ENNUM VAGANAM MEEDHU DHEVATHAI POLAY AVAL VANDHAL

A minute observation of Balu’s voice modulation will reveal the true respect for his mentor MSV. Balu deliberately plays a low profile & sings in a subtle manner probably as a mark of respect to the senior champion of mellisai …………

This entire song flows like a pleasant breeze with the fragrant smell of a Jasmine !

Jaiganesh does his part well by being very obedient and respectful , a reflection of an aspiring candidate in search of success in music world , in front of a senior MD who has a proven record of outstanding success

Thengai plays the character of an extraordinary composer but very moody and emotional …

Some may dismiss his tantrums during this song as comical but I feel he had done his part well

MSV I think could never be seen without his favourite Harmonium ( which he must be considering as his first life partner ). However I feel, he is an expert on Piano also. The hands that played Piano during the song Enna enna vaarthaigalo – Vennira aadai were actually MSV’s & not of Srikanth’s as Director Sridhar preferred an expert hand so that perfection is achieved.

Mellisai Mannar actually possessed a better voice which IMHO didn’t use it much except sporadically for songs like :

1.Kandhathai sollugiren – somewhat serious as the situation & the storyline warrants in – Sila nerangalil sila manidhargal

2.Thirupathi malayil yeruginral – a morale boosting song comes as a background for Lakshmi in – Vazvi en pakkam

3.Allah allah , nee ilaadha idamay illai – So popular in the 70s , used to be played during Id regularly

4.Sambo siva sambo- a proof of his adaptability to the changing world in 79 for – Ninaithalay inikkum , the arrival of jass music

5.Ikkaraikku akkara pacha- a meaningful number in Akarai pachai again for Lakshmi as background !

6.Sollathaan ninaikiren – a reflection of the title, a popular movie in mid 70s , beautiful lyrics…… Kadhal enbadhu mazaiyanal aval kangal thanay karmegam, neeraata naan paarata aval varuvalo illai maatalo, aval varuvalay sugam tharuvalay !

7.Inbathilum thunbathilum sirithiru magale

MSV also supports well by just humming for PS’s evergreen song Naan nandri solven en kangalukku – Kuzandhayum deivamum

The song ends with a challenge between the 2 on instruments ….. Thengai plays around with Piano while Jaiganesh counters him well with Violin

Other MDs must have realized that he possessed a rare voice & they promptly used him . For instance :

V.Kumar – Unakenna kuraichal , nee oru raja – Velli viza ( a KB movie )
ARR – Allalakanda aadalukku – Sangamam

You will easily identify how comfortable and at ease he is while singing Enakoru kadhali ! He must have sung with a smile on his face as by this time he had already reached the summit of his musical career and had nothing more to prove his critics

Despite the dominant presence of Maestro in the late 70s , Mellisai mannar still had his old silken touch & sporadically came up with reminiscent of his old wonders…….

Today, even the younger generation looks at his creations with awe , admiring his musical skills and deft usage of instruments especially for songs like Engay nimmadhi, Adho andha paravai, Yar andha nilavu , Malar edhu un kangal, Ulagamengum oray mozhi or for that matter Vennira aadai the manner he applied Piano to give splendid output

IMHO, I rank Enakkoru kathali as THE BEST for the sheer musical delight despite the usage of just Piano, beautiful solo violin and some drums here and there and ofcourse his customary tabla….. For me, this song will remain permanently in my hearts as it talks about our Mellisai Mannar……..

I heard that once he expressed a desire to be born again but free from all material attachments & instead live with his pet Harmonium and travel across the world singing his songs ! Such has been his immense / intense passion for music …….

MSV was the person who actually changed the trend from the CLASSICAL era to MELLISAI era , a new concept which was criticized heavily by Pundits but they later acknowledged that this man was somewhat special !

It’s another sad story like Nadigar thilagam that MSV didn’t get any national award but he knows that he is in the hearts of crores and crores of music lovers belonging to all generations…………………………

Despite having written about MSV so many times, I still am not tired in expressing my admiration for his MELODY on whatever song he composed . HE IS THE SOLE OWNER OF THE WORD MELODY

MELLISAI MANNAR’S NAME WILL FEATURE FOREVER IN THE HISTORY OF TAMIL FILM MUSIC BOOKS FOR HIS OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION. HIS MELODIES WILL REMAIN FOREVER UNTIL THIS WORLD LASTS……
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off Balaji,

Wonderful letter by u expressing the great admiration for MSV. What a song "Enakoru Kadhali". My all time favourite. What a Piano and violin bit. Beyond words. I used to listen to this song even at 1.00 at night. You will be swept away by the real genius. What a lyrics. can words express our admiration. I wash MSV's feet with my anandha kanneer. Thats all i could do. I asked one upcoming music director to listen to this song a great deal. Yes, u r right. Not only piano or violin but wholesome and complete breeze of melody is unforgettable and unmatchable!!!

Hats off once again. What a letter. Iyyo. Pramaaaaaadham.

regards
sampat
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Wonderful write-up on the song "Enakkoru Kaadhali Irukkindral", one of my (many's) all-time favourites! When I came to US for the first time, I was missing my home and this song gave me the comfort and "At Home" feeling. Great analysis!!!

Wish and hope more and more articles like this to enthrall our MSVClub members!
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Enakkoru Balaji..... Reply with quote

Enakkoru Balaji irukindrar.....

Avar MSV isaiyai merukootukindrar.....

Wonderful writing Balaji. Enakkoru Kathali.... not only mine but World's favourite song too.

Cheers
vaidy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: