"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audience response to Mellisai Mannar in cinema halls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragasuda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Audience response to Mellisai Mannar in cinema halls Reply with quote

Dear friends,
I think this will be an interesting topic and hence a new thread. As also Mr. Ram wanted to know about people's response during those days. Somewhere in the late 1970s (after the arrival of Ilaiyaraaja and when he was in big demand), a school in Madras (in which Kamal also studied for a brief period), as a part of fund raising programme, screened 2 movies in one ticket - Kalangarai Vilakkam and Paasa Malar - which eventually evoked huge response from both the fans - MGR and Sivaji. Nowadays there is a public opinion that the fans of both would always were rivals and would never miss a chance for fight - but amazingly it was not so at that screening. This show was a big success and the school managed to wop up a handsome money, that is a different thing. The show started with Kalangarai Vilakkam - and the magic name MGR as usual evoked big clapping & whistling - but the real thing was - the same reception was given to Mellisai Mannar. It is not true that Ilaiyaraaja was the first to get applause for a MD on screen. It was Mellisai Mannar to start the trend. And as the movie went on people went to craze and shouted for ONCE MORE repetition of the song - do you know for which song - not for Kaatru vanga ponaen, not for Ponnezhil pootthadu, not for enna uravo, not for ennai marandadaen - UNDERLINE - for Pallavan Pallavi and more so for the song Sangaey Muzhangu. One thing to watch here - MGR fans during that screening comprised mostly of the poor people coming from downtrodden family. When these people wanted for these two songs for repeat screening do you think they do not have any music sense? Certainly not. Both these songs were class of their own - Pallavan Pallavi of course had MGR's dance. But what about Sangey Muzangu - it is an literary oriented song. When these two songs were repeated you might have by now guessed the response of audience -you're right - it was thunderous.
Now it's the turn of NT. Almost whole audience comprising of fans of NT & MGR - were present in full. And the same people gave same amount of response to the names VISWANATHAN-RAMAMURTHI. And not to be left over the same people wanted to repeat two songs - Malarndum malarada and Paattondru Kaettaen - of course Malarndum malarada is an emotion oriented - but for Paattondru Kaettaen - for NT's style - as Pallavan Pallavi was for MGR's dance.
See here the audience's sense of appreciation - it was both MGR and Sivaji - at the same hall - same show - which kept them mesmerised?
MSV - of course.
V. Raghavendran
ragasuda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: audience response Reply with quote

Pls see my earlier posting. The fund rising was for some charity organisation and not for the school but the venue was the school premises. I stand corrected. May be some error out of memory for the organisers but the memory for the incidents remain the same - since it is stalwarts.
V. Raghavendran
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Raghavendran,

Pls write more about your FAN DAYS and those memorable moments at the time of release of a Nadigar Thilagam movie….. We are keen to hear …….. Also pls cover how the fans of yesteryears appreciated the nuances of music, especially of MSV . Very Happy

FYI, our hubber P.Ramesh is a hardcore Sivaji fan & he also had a fan club during his school days !
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ragasuda,

You brought the sensations in the theatres in front of our eyes. And thanks for posting this topic on my request. It is so heartening and interesting to see how MSV (and ofcourse legends like Sivaji and MGR) got response during filming in cinema halls, what all songs got 'REPEATS' etc...

Please bring out more memories like this, as these are rarest and definitely to be cherished by everyone of us here !!!

Thanks again. Very Happy
Venkat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the movies "Bama Vijayam" and "Aval Oru Thodarkadhai" some more than 20 years back (But I think the movies were released in 1968 and 1975 respectively).
Ninaithale Inikum - sollave vendiyathillai...

During the titles, when our MMs name came the applause was great.
Not only for the titles, but also for every song of the movie, the response was extraordinary...

Enaku rombavum santhoshama irunthathu...
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear all

i know its old subject , but anything on Our music samrat , is always refreshing .

i can quote , many instances for the welcom , he used to get

a) film Raja - it was screened in my school way back in '70 (school is in devakottai , and Spmuthuraman , vijaykanth are the aluminis of the school .), of course elders also allowed . its a movie , every month . whistles , and claps went around when Msv name was displayed .and the clapped reappeared , when the re recordings , started raja raja raja , , whenever i think Nt was on run .

b) Film USV - in our school , monthly film review , , the review used to b made by students after seeing the film in the theatre ., and based on the voting pattern , the percentage is made
guess what USV got 100 % for music .and you should see the reception his name got

b) Film policekaran magal Way back in late '70s- the poster , displayed names ONLY , WHICH IS VISHWANATHAN RAMAMURTHY / KANNADASAN / SRIDHAR - nothing else , for the exhibition in the theatre Kamadhenu .

c) Then i have seen movie Avargal- his names was received with a clap

d) then ayirathil oruvan in theatre - rajakumari - probably released fr nth time - the applause started when Vr names displayed , and not only re appeared with every song , but also loud singing of ewvery song

e) same was the case in theatre kamadhnu , when MGR matham had , deivathai .engal veetu pillai , padakoty , were screened .

f) not to mention thenisai mazhai .

so the apprciations were always there , only media turned their eye on new comers .
Venkat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so thrilled to post my 333rd posting...(Thrilling 333...Very Happy )

I went to see Kai Kodukkum Kai (Rajini) in Kamala theatre.
At that time the noon show was "Server Sundaram".
During the interval, they showed the trailer of this movie.
The trailer started with MSV composing the song Avalukkenna...
Avlodhan theatre-e chumma adhiruchulla...

I was so happy to see this...
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was early 1979, I believe. Shivaji was still active in films and MGR just retired from films and had become CM. Though Kamal, Rajini, Ilayaraja have stared giving big hits, the glory of Shivaji, MGR was always there. It is a small town by name Vikramasingapuram, in Tirunelveli District. We were there during a festival time. There is a big theatre there by name "Thai Cinies". OOTI VARI URAVU was running in Morning show and First show; and simultneously AYIRATHIL ORUVAN was running in Matinee show and Second Show. Our entire family went to see the Shivaji-Sridhar combo film OOTI VARAI URAVU. Right from the first song of the film 'THEDINEN VANDHADHU", every song was continuously received with great claps, whistle and loud cheers. The entire theatre was filled with great lovers of the thespian Shivaji. And there is no wonder why the entire crowd was celebrating the film and its songs. But the surprise element is not that. During the interval, after all the advertisement slides were over, suddenly the song "ADHO ANDHA PARAVAI" began with its peppy chorus, beat and all that (as an advertisement for the next show). Believe me, the entire audience was on its feet with whistle I have never heard in my life time. Though we were not keen to watch Ayirathil Oruvan during our stay because of constraint in timing, all of us were enthused to watch the film the next day in second show.
Again I dont need to tell here how the MGR audience received the film and songs. We were in for a surprise again. We know how mad the MGR fans would be. But in the interval of the film, when the theatre screen and speaker screamed, HAPPY INTRU MUDHAL HAPPY, again I saw a great welcome by means of whistle and claps for the entire song. MSV had the great magic mantra in him to make this happen. He was loved and adored by both the section equally.

P. Sankar
TIRUNELVELI.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Speak to members Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sankar,
Though a piece of nostalgia, your narration about the MADURA MILLS Town Vikramasingapuram carries a lot of message. Apparently at loggerheads -I mean the fans of NT and MT, were not deaf to the songs of the 'opposite camp' if I may use the expression just to highlight the mood between the 2 groups of fans those days. Honestly, those days no theatre in TN would field parallely the movies of Shivaji and MGR for fear of uncontrollable audience since, after each show only the other group would be gate crashing for tickets. Perhaps the auditorium managers took the bold step on the strength of the belief that both movies were more than 10 years old [ ooty varai -1969] and [1000 il -1965]. Certainly MSV has tied them down to stay in appreciation of his musical prowess the likes of which have become a distant dream for those who have had a rich diet of his music. For those who have not tasted his quality music , any cry in chorus is a song. You can draw the inference on the difference between 'blessing' and 'curse'.
Thank you for the brief elegance in your writing.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: