"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PONGUM KADALOSAI from MEENAVA NANBAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: PONGUM KADALOSAI from MEENAVA NANBAN Reply with quote

PONGUM KADALOSAI

"Meenava Nanban"

Now, the pick of this week: "PONGUM KADALOSAI..." from "MEENAVA NANBAN"; Its really an amazing melody by MSV. I don't think anyone has presented the "Raaga Valajji" in such a superb form. Beautiful pallavi, interludes, charanam, rhythm and what not! It is not a coventional song at all, at any point of time. Xylophones throughout the song will define the chords, which is a trend-set by itself. Because Xylophones are NEVER used
for this purpose! The Mridangam take-over in Charanam and towards the end of the charanam, it being complemented by drums filling- will be so Mellifluous;

Just one phrase to describe this song : "OUT-OF-THE-WORLD";

By
Ram

Last edited by Ram on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeyaramg1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Ram, It is really an amazing song. Every line of the song is a beauty. Phrases of each line of Charanam by MM , exquisitely brought out by VJ is simply out of the world.

In classical sense, Valaji, a Janyam of Chakravaham is supposedly an early monring raga ( 4 - 6 am). When I saw this song in the TV, the situation is exactly the same. A perfect raga selection by MM !! (Ofcourse, I am sure he would NOT have thought of this when he composed this song. And, it's entirely a different thing our great MM would have composed beautifully for the same situation using a completely diff raga or even w/o limiting to a raga.All this is possible b'cause he is an absolute Music Creator !!

(Totally agree on the drums take over in the end of Charanam, accompanied by an effective bass section!!)

Best Regards
Jeyaram G
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: PONGUM ISAI VELLAM FROM MSV! Reply with quote

You bet Jayaram,

Pongum Kadalosai is one of the rarest of rare gems from our Master. Just a week ago when I was with the Legend along with Venkat(tvv raghavan), he specifically asked for this song to be played from our lap top and he enjoyed every moment of this song. We too enjoyed all the moments of the legend enjoying his own creation and captured it on video!!! What a master piece this Pongum Kadalosai!!! Just celebrate every moment of this song and live with it guys!!!

Cheers
vaidy
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

மீனவ நண்பன் படத்தில் இடம்பெற்ற "பொங்கும் கடலோசை" ஒரு அற்புதமான, அதே சமயம் மிகவும் வித்தியாசமான படைப்பு.

பாடலின் சிறப்பைப்பற்றி ஏற்கெனவே இங்கு சொல்லி விட்டார்க்ள் என்பதால், நான் புதிதாக ஒன்றும் சொல்லவில்லை.

பாடலை இந்த இணப்பில் கேட்டு மகிழுங்கள்
http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=58944
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Listen to Pongum Kadalosai when u sail !!! Reply with quote

As Vaidhy uncle said, when we played this song The Musical Saint was really excited and as per our Forum members' request I wanted to get someinfo (like Paadal Pirandha Kadai) about this song from him. So I asked him what made him use Xylophones in this song so extensively , juz to start with. The immediate response was " NAAN ENGAPPA POTTEN ELLAM IRAIVAN ARUL !!!!! " The response was similar for another question !!! However it was really great to enjoy a song of this stature along with its COMPOSER !!! Aint I Blessed ?? Surprised))

I would like to share my personal experience with this song. Couple of months back I had been to Mumbai with my parents..when we went to Elephanta caves for which we had to ferry in a boat for around 1.5 hours. I listened to this song "PONGUM KADALOSAI......" in my ipod through out and it was really great experience to enjoy this song in the same situation for which it was written and created. I was totally astonished in the way it was created and sung by VJ !!! HATS OFF !!!

If any of you have a similar experience , kindly share !!

MSV Rules !!!

Venky
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Listen to Pongum Kadalosai when u sail !!! Reply with quote

As Vaidhy uncle said, when we played this song The Musical Saint was really excited and as per our Forum members' request I wanted to get someinfo (like Paadal Pirandha Kadai) about this song from him. So I asked him what made him use Xylophones in this song so extensively , juz to start with. The immediate response was " NAAN ENGAPPA POTTEN ELLAM IRAIVAN ARUL !!!!! " The response was similar for another question !!! However it was really great to enjoy a song of this stature along with its COMPOSER !!! Aint I Blessed ?? Surprised))

I would like to share my personal experience with this song. Couple of months back I had been to Mumbai with my parents..when we went to Elephanta caves for which we had to ferry in a boat for around 1.5 hours. I listened to this song "PONGUM KADALOSAI......" in my ipod through out and it was really great experience to enjoy this song in the same situation for which it was written and created. I was totally astonished in the way it was created and sung by VJ !!! HATS OFF !!!

If any of you have a similar experience , kindly share !!

MSV Rules !!!

Venky
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Listen to Pongum Kadalosai when u sail !!! Reply with quote

டியர் வெங்கி....

சந்தேகமில்லை, நீங்களெல்லாம் அதிர்ஷ்டசாலிகள் மற்றும் ஆசீர்வதிக்கப் பட்டவர்கள். இல்லையென்றால் இப்படி ஒரு வாய்ப்புகள் கிடைக்குமா?.

அவர் போட்ட இசையை அவரிடமே வாசித்துக் காட்டி கருத்துக்களைப் பெறுவது என்பதெல்லாம் எப்படிப்பட்ட ஒரு வாய்ப்பு....!!!!.

அவற்ரை எங்களிடம் பகிர்ந்து கொண்டதற்கு ரொம்ப நன்றி...

tvvraghavan wrote:
I asked him what made him use Xylophones in this song so extensively , juz to start with. The immediate response was " NAAN ENGAPPA POTTEN ELLAM IRAIVAN ARUL !!!!! "

அய்யோ...

இந்த...இந்த...இந்த அட்க்கமும் அமைதியும்தானே அவரை நம் மனதில் எவரெஸ்டில் உட்கார வைத்திருக்கிறது.

(ஆனால் துரதிர்ஷ்டம்... கடந்த முப்பது ஆண்டுகளாக தமிழ்த்திரையிசையில் 'நான், எனது, என்னால்' என்ற கோஷங்களே கேட்கின்றன).
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one i just copied from the website of singer vani jeyaram.........

Pogum kadalosai - Meenava Nanban
Singers:VJ - Music:M.S.Viswanathan

Easily among Vani's best solos. How can I describe the magic of the song in mere words? The song is an experience. Listen to it, and be spellbound.

Pongum kadalosai
Thanneerile
Odangalai
Thaalattave
Konjum thamizhosai

Pachaikkili oru thoniyil, pakkam varum adhikaalaiyil
Mannavan odam paarthatho, mayakkam kondu aadutho
Saadhanai seigaiyil
sodhanai thondrinaal
mayanguvatheno?

Velli alai vandhu modhalaam, sellum vazhi dhisai maaralaam
Ponalai kaatru veesinaal padagu thaalam podalaam
Neeralai medaiyil
meenavan nadagam
nadippathumeno?

Solliththara oru vaadhiyaar, ennaivida ingu veru yaar?
Pattadhu podhum endru nee paavai odam thedi vaa
Sorndhadhu pothum vaa
serndhu naam pogalaam
oorvalamaaga

The third charanam is one that finds place only in the film track.

This is such a "Belessed" song. Vani puts you into a trance with her opening humming, as as she begins her konjum thamizhosai, you are totally lost in an enchanting world. MSV weaves, with his silky strings, a tantalising tapestry of wondrous hues, and Vani is the warp and waft, verily has she put her heart and soul into the song. Each bit of the interlude music is awesome (the first and the third interlude being similar). Even if you happen to catch a just a tiny bit of it from some roadside shop's radio you will immediately recognize the song! There is an ageless beauty in every bit of the song, from the initial humming right upto the class, caressing fade out in the end. Visuvum Vaniyum vazhangiya indha Valaji, oru vaseegara vindhai!

courtesy: http://www.vanijairam.com
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriram Lakshman writes

"The song arrives with a bang with VJ's high-pitched 'pongum kadalOsai..' with xylophones, triple congos and mirudangam taking over and undulating into majestic calmness at 'pongum thamizhOsai'.... as if making a point...softly, strongly spoken. The song must have been tuned to pre-written lyrics. Richness of melody with great orchestral embellishments usher in images of the silhouette a woman dreamily paddling away. The tune has all that one expects from MSV, savoury variations in line with the lyrics and a tasty charanam 'hand-shake' with the pallavi. Very aptly conjured up harmony in the rhythm section especially in the charanams, when the song starts veering towards the end of the charanam is yet another display of sense of placement,etiquette, aesthetics and whatever...

Precise sense of sound, rhythm, usage of instruments decorate this great tune and the result is a package of musical delight from the master song 'planner'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: